Ok time for an update.

The new 'RaIlway Room is now decorated and you can see from the following photos that the choice of colour is a good match for sky! So the room will take 2 boards up at a time and I moved those that had been in the other bedroom which is now being turned into a sewing room although three of the remaining Notley boards will have to stay in there for now.

Now that the boards are relocated I was able to put the new Western on the layout and the following shots show it alongside the matching Hymek.

Chrome-7.jpg.2a65f23a2045cbc625eaa7fd1e8e787a.jpg

Chrome-8.jpg.d0b8ebbd7c4203f94c016259d7863a39.jpg

Chrome-9.jpg.ab7b98cc5ddd17537ef285505041acc2.jpg

chrome-10.jpg.858cd53fbf9e836179ae8f1cb5cc75d3.jpg

Chrome-5.jpg.ec25a8b186d2c8cd69cd2400ba17348c.jpg

I've also managed to get hold of another 1:43 Bedford TK but this time in a rigid chassis

Bedfird-13.jpg.6918dd7f57ae7f5733de1e03d44299ea.jpg

Bedfird-14.jpg.cfde3c83117961d41d6acf427ae7a576.jpg

Bedford-11.jpg.4e892d442d69e87be29e0d97201d27e9.jpg

Bedford-12.jpg.95ce7b4de8fea6f49db361d871497905.jpg

Bedford-15.jpg.3e5bc57012aeeee8d01637474fbe2daa.jpgBedford-15.jpg.3e5bc57012aeeee8d01637474fbe2daa.jpg

The truck is from a circus set and unlike the Hales cake lorry has LHD which I will need to do something about. 

I am also going to cut the chassis down as it looks too long to me

Shouldn't be a difficult job looking at the below

Bedfird-16.jpg.ee75d3d8fe45232145e2ec3c66f9a2e1.jpg

Still debating whether to put my name down for a KMS RailTech HST set. I think I will wait until I see the CAD photos.

Quite good progress I think.

Paul R

Bedford-13.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, pwr said:

Still debating whether to put my name down for a KMS RailTech HST set. I think I will wait until I see the CAD photos.

Quite good progress I think.

Paul R

Paul

I'm in the same boat as you...... I would like to see the CAD photo's first then I will have to make a big decision..... original blue & grey or IC livery......

Jim

Blue and Grey for me!  I was in Bath in August 1976 when they started to substitute them for 50 hauled expresses on the Bristol's. I took a load of photos in Sydney Gardens. I was trying to get a shot of the prototype which I had seen in the distance at Bathampton the previous day but it never showed up.

When they  first came in on enhanced schedules in October 1976 when the Western Region was doing a day out for £1.25 so a group of us skived off school and had a day out to Cardiff. Happy days

Paul

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

There is chat about that Bedford somewhere else suggesting it isnt actually too long but that weird body just makes it look so. I'm going to try a cardboard flatbed first to see how it looks i think.

I'd like to do a pantechnicon eventually, which for some reason is how I always associate them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

There is chat about that Bedford somewhere else suggesting it isnt actually too long but that weird body just makes it look so. I'm going to try a cardboard flatbed first to see how it looks i think.

I'd like to do a pantechnicon eventually, which for some reason is how I always associate them 

I thought about a flatbed too. I'll see what its like when I get the body off!  To my mind the overhang at the back is too great but I've not compared to a photo of the real thing to know. 

My abiding memories are of the yellow Corona lorries

Paul R

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Is it just me or cattle truck, lion, lorry :-) ...just a thought ...

Its supposed to be part of a circus set but the body is like no prototype I ever saw

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

C and U regulations allow for a 60% overhang at the rear,but said vehicle can be a handful ,what with the swing at the back.I've rattled a few gateposts in my time,especially if room is tight!

atb

Phil

16 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Just stumbled on this that I couldn't find the other day - have a look at May 21st, one page from the end. The Bedford flatbed conversion makes the chassis look fairly normal.

Thanks for that - most helpful.

My TK is still sitting on the layout being thought about whilst I finish other kits I started yonks ago! I start too many things and never finish them so I am having a concerted effort. So far finished off a brake van, LNER Fish van and very nearly an LNER open. Then I am going to finish the MK1 SK which was waiting for lining transfers which I now have before the Dapol ones turn up!. Still have a hopper and open to do and an Ian Kirk Gresley coach.

None of these need that much work although the Gresley and Hooper need painting.

I have 3 freightliner flats on order from PRMRP which i want to start when they arrive

Paul R

• Like 1

I had a closer look at the TK today and I think its not as simply as chopping off a bit of the chassis at the rear. The gap between the front and rear axles looks too long for what I would call a normal vehicle even if it is OK for a pantechnicon or longer flatbed. If you simply shorten the rear the axle will be too near the end of the vehicle but it wont be a simple as that. I think I need to look at a prototype and as it happens I know a friend who has one!

Paul R

Just a quick shot of where we got to with the LNER open

Highfit.jpg.4a494f9eaf67fc2d9da0ef535ff34402.jpg

I just need to complete the buffers and then I am going to install a sack load.

I have some packets of Britains sacks that I will lay on a cardboard or styrene former so it can be removable.

All for now

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pwr said:

The gap between the front and rear axles looks too long for what I would call a normal vehicle 

I think I need to look at a prototype and as it happens I know a friend who has one!

I'd be interested in the dimensions - I genuinely think its about right between wheels and only looks odd due to that low body which throws the proportions but i'm far from an expert and having a real example would be handy.

6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I'd be interested in the dimensions - I genuinely think its about right between wheels and only looks odd due to that low body which throws the proportions but i'm far from an expert and having a real example would be handy.

OK will see what I can do

Paul R

15 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Try this link

Flatbed

Paul R

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Giles said:

Here's the conversion of the TK shown above in more detail.... about a third of the way down the page.

That looks good Giles. I think the crane in the gap between the cab and lorry bed supports the longer length. Still thinking of going for a shorter version.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

A shorter version does look nice..... This is my 10ft wheelbase tipper. I cut off the chassis at the back of the cab, and made some simple brass frames - loco style only simpler - and spliced them on behind the original frames with Devvon and no problems.

48671034771_7d40c8d971_4k.jpg2019-09-03_01-33-52 by giles favell, on Flickr

48502647097_a7ff6853d7_5k.jpg2019-08-10_12-58-26 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pwr said:

That looks good Giles. I think the crane in the gap between the cab and lorry bed supports the longer length. Still thinking of going for a shorter version.

Paul R

If I was to do another one without the Crane Paul I would probably chop a bit of the rear chassis, probably only needs to be 5 to 7mm but it would help visually.  Look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Giles said:

A shorter version does look nice..... This is my 10ft wheelbase tipper.

Presumably they made chassis in various standard lengths and not all completely random? I actually quite like the longer ones of which there are plenty of photos around but I've no idea what wheelbase these would have been.

13 hours ago, Giles said:

A shorter version does look nice..... This is my 10ft wheelbase tipper. I cut off the chassis at the back of the cab, and made some simple brass frames - loco style only simpler - and spliced them on behind the original frames with Devvon and no problems.

48671034771_7d40c8d971_4k.jpg2019-09-03_01-33-52 by giles favell, on Flickr

48502647097_a7ff6853d7_5k.jpg2019-08-10_12-58-26 by giles favell, on Flickr

Giles

Did you chop off the rear of the chassis on that 10ft version as well as behind the cab. The overhang at the rear seems shorter?

Paul R

That 10ft actually started life as an artic, as it's what I had to hand - so I didn't need to convert it to RHD. I looked for a convenient place to cut the chassis off which would still allow length for internal splicing plates (shown on lower photo) which happened to be somewhere behind the fuel tank on this model. The length of the new chassis rails were simply adjusted to give the 10ft wheelbase when fitted to the cut remains.

Yes, the overhang on the standard 10ft is quite short. Like most manufacturers, they built their standard chassis lengths for their catalogue, but they would also build you whatever you needed to order.

In this photo you can probably just make out the splice. Devcon epoxy made a good job if it!

48473256422_4374ca7ed0_b.jpg1:43 Tipper by giles favell, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1