14 minutes ago, pwr said:

Ha ha - well it was a Ford! Mind you most cars of the period were not that comfortable! 

My dad had  a couple of Morris Marina's back in the 70's. I'll say no more!

Paul R

I had Wadhams at Waterloovilles first Marina, and then Ital Demos as I was the Top Salesman there so always given the latest, except for the Allegro which I flatly refused) haha.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pwr said:

Decided to see what these Smart Models figures are like. These came today. They are 3D printed and surprisingly good.

I know this is just normal competition but interesting how one person comes up with a great idea and before you know it several are selling the same stuff.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update today on the wagon building. The BAA is on its wheels!

BAA-6.jpg.ac3131dd499ff9a10b098d890824b393.jpg

BAA-7.jpg.29bc2179fc2dd668ce5697cee736498c.jpg

I finally got round to soldering the bogie mounts under the deck. I have also had a go at one of the horizontal load supports as can be seen from the deck but I am not very happy with it and it will have to come off. The folds don't properly align with the holes in the deck so the sport is not square and will need soldering up before mounting. There are 37 of them to do so I am glad I am not building the linger BBA!

On the Freightliner deck I am afraid the news is less positive. Having soldered up the main deck girders the whole deck had a twist in it I could not get out and I have had to completely dismantle it and will need to start again. Despite building it on glass the twist is too much to rely on the weight of the deck and the fact the bogies are locked to the deck and I suspect it would have ended up derailing. So hopefully by next week I will have it sorted. 

Now for a bit of fun. On Twitter a number of posts relay the story of characters on peoples layouts. Here is mine

Plod-1.jpg.a55c786f07c49cddd5045ff31ab11a42.jpg

Plod-2.jpg.00d3ab5bfcb94445f0d8adb9527176ed.jpg

Plod-3.jpg.c98d3050d742a43e750994a0061da315.jpg

This shows a few of the die cast vehicles and shows the aftermath of an accident involving Lou Smorrels the local playboy who took his E-Type for a spin and rolled it having lost control on a patch of black ice. Essex Plod completely overeacted and sent a squadron of cars and vans to deal with the mistcreant and the photo shows Traffic Cop Willy Stoppem directing traffic whilst he waits for Ivor Towtruck to come with his recovery vehicle and take the car to Mendham Motors for repairs. Sergeant Kevin 'Kev' Larjacket has been caught short and has had to go to Notley station as the Chicken Vindaloo curry he had last night doesn't appear to agree with him. He may be there sometime as the facilities  have run out of toilet roll. Meanwhile Lou has been breathalised and is 3 times over the limit having had a champagne breakfast at that notorious local hostelry, The Jimmy Riddle. 

All for now

Paul R

• Like 9

New stock today! In response to the well healed Braintree commuters complaints about the lack of first class accommodation on the line, a Gresley Brake composite has arrived.

Gresley-1.jpg.4bb3d1535e9496a50b2c9dd33151c185.jpg

Gresley-2.jpg.e52f15a756d24cec6f4650e49d5594a3.jpg

There is some comment on the poor quality control by Heljan on these in the Traders section so I wont repeat it here suffice it to say this coach has faults despite being personally inspected by Hatton's staff.

One of the footboards is off, one of the bogie spring sets fell out and two of the wheelsets are out of the axle bearings. I have reset those but running is poor with quite a high degree of friction and  it derails on the points suggesting the back to back may be wrong but I need to check.

Other than that its a lovely looking coach with the appropriate first class and no smoking decals fitted to the windows. Its fitted with buckeye couplings both end with a set of screw link supplied in the box. It will be interesting to see if they are compatible with the forthcoming Dapol MK1's coupling arrangements. Not sure about the cantrail gutter. I'll check against the Harris book later.

Coaching stock has been in short supply on this layout - only a Thompson suburban brake being available to support services. I have a Gresley Ian Kirk shorty part built so this will be an incentive to complete it. I have  a number of other Kirk kits so will probably not buy any more of these. 

I'll update later when I have fixed it and compared to some prototype photos

Paul R

• Like 8

A quick couple of photos today. A special working from Witham up the line conveying a bomb squad Landrover as a UXB has been discovered by the line between Black Notley and Braintree.  Private Harry Parts and Corporal Jock Strap have been detailed to travel and deal with the issue. Private parts was interviewed by intrepid Braintree and Witham Times journalist Chris Peebacon and he said he was honoured to have been picked for this detail and would be sure to cut the red wire first ........... or was it the blue one.  Major Cockup has remained at Witham where a command post has been set up.

In other news local funeral directors Dedd and Gorne have bought a new hearse. Senior partner 'Long' Gorne said he hoped they were not making a grave mistake with their expansion plans and was dead serious about making this work.

Class-08-1.jpg.65f7d414f940dcab306e9a3433d48a5a.jpg

Class-08-2.jpg.8302ce9c5aa255fca55c038dc291710c.jpg

Back to reality!  

I have started to reassemble the second freightliner deck and have managed to remove the twist although there is much soldering still to do and a lot of clean up will be required. Not helped by the fact that the soldering iron bit is getting to the end of its useful life and is difficult to get into confined spaces. The iron is long since out of production and I cant get replacement bits. I bought a new one but even then the bits are small but may be useful enough for the purpose.

Once I have got back to where I was I will post a picture of it. Work meantime carries on with the BAA wagon

• Like 7

Fascinating back story, I was rivetted by the drama.

Glad to see you have your Gresley coach, I ordered two in B condition.  However, Hattons only shipped them yesterday so I may have them by mid next week.  It will be interesting to see what's wrong with mine.

I have a pair of Kirk short Gresleys part built but I'm not sure if they will ever get finished now.  I did finish a Kirk Gresley BG which looks quite good if I do say so myself.

I'm following the Ellis Clark Thompson's.

John

3 minutes ago, brossard said:

Fascinating back story, I was rivetted by the drama.

Glad to see you have your Gresley coach, I ordered two in B condition.  However, Hattons only shipped them yesterday so I may have them by mid next week.  It will be interesting to see what's wrong with mine.

I have a pair of Kirk short Gresley's part built but I'm not sure if they will ever get finished now.  I did finish a Kirk Gresley BG which looks quite good if I do say so myself.

I'm following the Ellis Clark Thompson's.

John

Yes I reserved one of those Thompsons too.  Notwithstanding what I said I was contemplating ordering a corridor third but as I have the Kirk one three quarters finished it seems a bit excessive. It has given me an incentive to finish it and its one of the shorty GE versions too. I have a set of RJH buckeyes to fit to it and it will be interesting to see if they are compatible otherwise I may have to go down the Kadee route for the coach to coach couplings. That or MagClics which I am using on the Freightliner set

I've got a set each of maroon and crimson and cream Dapol Mk1's on order although in reality these would not have been seen in normal use on the Braintree branch. Thompson suburban's were the usual stock until DMU's took over.

I still think the B 2 B on the Hatton's coaches is wrong - I really must measure them.

Paul R

• Like 1

Very tempting to get a pair each of the Dapol/Lionheart Mk1s and Clark Thompson's.  However, that could be overkill for my very modest station.  Nevertheless Rule 1 always applies.

I like the C&C livery a lot although given the early 60's date of my layout, I really should have maroon.

For my as yet unfinished Gresley's I have a pair of Kadee's.  For the BG, I fitted some cosmetic dropped buckeyes.

John

• Like 1

Some new photos today

Class-31-3.jpg.02aefaaa59f1d9291d478e3169d5ffef.jpg

The new Gresley has been pressed into service on the regular branch shuttle. In reality this combination of liveries would not be seen and the coach should be in maroon but hey, its what was on the layout at the time!

Class-31-2.jpg.c7c68f7d856de118105f283e5eca6471.jpg

Classs-31.jpg.e293da668817fc15dde5297f0a7d29ab.jpg

The goods yard is busy today and the 08 has more wagons that need positioning for unloading. Facilities here are under pressure!

Goods-1.jpg.4bc75ea259a0afcd0f8f78411d2a92cf.jpg

Goods-2.jpg.8a806e3b8656b67dc02403fdcdcacc74.jpg

Goods-3.jpg.03a2f5f3b88b1c57b643b0a0d0c3dede.jpg

I really must get round to painting the yard surface

Paul R

• Like 7

Those HGV's really help to complete the picture. Have you seen the Kathy Millat videos on YouTube. She does a really good job of depicting concrete yard surfacing using sheets of foam and air brushing. I'll be copying the technique myself. 

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, woodyfox said:

Those HGV's really help to complete the picture. Have you seen the Kathy Millat videos on YouTube. She does a really good job of depicting concrete yard surfacing using sheets of foam and air brushing. I'll be copying the technique myself. 

Cheers

No but I'll certainly have a look. I saw her video on making a muddy path and thought that was the bees knees.

Thanks for the tip

Paul R

• Like 1

Why oh why did IXO do the Thames FT6 as LHD for the BR version when they had already released the identical  cab/chassis in correct form for the NW Gas version? I believe it has been shown to be possible to convert but why should the modeller have to do this?

Have you forsaken the steam era now Paul? If so I know where there’s a good home for the B2!

Best wishes

Bob (still modelling Felsted)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raymw said:

Because he is a modeller?

Well I think the product is aimed at Diecast model collectors. My impression is even opening the box in their eyes destroys the desirability of the model, let alone significant alterations. Yes we modellers will cope but it can’t be good for their primary market.

Bob

ps I believe there are some very accomplished modellers out there who are not male.

16 hours ago, boeing7572t6 said:

Why oh why did IXO do the Thames FT6 as LHD for the BR version when they had already released the identical  cab/chassis in correct form for the NW Gas version? I believe it has been shown to be possible to convert but why should the modeller have to do this?

Have you forsaken the steam era now Paul? If so I know where there’s a good home for the B2!

Best wishes

Bob (still modelling Felsted)

HI Bob

I was not aware of the NW gas version - I'll have to look it out.

No I have not forsaken the steam era and the next steam kit through the works is going to be a J68. I have so much to do and tend to work around what takes my fancy at the time.

As I think I mentioned before I intend to be able to operate the layout in 3 eras

1. Steam and early green diesel

2. Green/Blue transition era

3. 1970's blue

The actual urban landscape will be based on 1958 as much as I can

So sorry, having laboured over that B2 for 7 years its not for sale!!!!

Anyhow after retirement in April I am hoping to pick up the pace.

That said I am developing an unhealthy interest in Research Department vehicles! I noted Paul Leadley is proposing to do a Lab 4 Hastings Tilt development vehicle and I am hoping I can persuade him to print me a set of bogies as I can source the donor vehicle from Worsley Works. by marrying his bogies, Worsley sides and some bits from Peter Clark models I think I can get there.

Paul R

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Well you cant see its lhd in the box  :)

Au contraire, the packaging is a window box revealing contents.
However I think you have taken me too literally, my point, if there is one, is that Diecast collectors seem to be put off by anything that isn’t  ‘mint’ so removing baseplate and minor surgery on the innards would ,for them be an anathema. Us real modellers are less squeamish.

All the best

Bob

Paul,

I think the NW Gas version (with misprinted decal “NorthRest Gas” )was the first model. They are still around on eBay. There followed a yellow version for a seed merchant I think, details hazy. Then the BR version. They have also done an Ebro version in several styles. This being a Spanish Ford product.

Thank you for you explanation of future direction and your reluctance to part with the B2, all understood and my comments were tongue in cheek.

I hope retirement suits you as much as it does me. The only drawback is the ageing bit!

All the best

Bob

3 minutes ago, boeing7572t6 said:

Paul,

I think the NW Gas version (with misprinted decal “NorthRest Gas” )was the first model. They are still around on eBay. There followed a yellow version for a seed merchant I think, details hazy. Then the BR version. They have also done an Ebro version in several styles. This being a Spanish Ford product.

Thank you for you explanation of future direction and your reluctance to part with the B2, all understood and my comments were tongue in cheek.

I hope retirement suits you as much as it does me. The only drawback is the ageing bit!

All the best

Bob

Yes I had a quick look and decided to leave it!  I did spot their Volvo lorry that said which I think may be 1970's/80's. Could be converted easily to a UK version. Decided not to take the plunge though despite the very reasonable price. 

Paul R

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

More stock. I wasn't going to get a class 17 but given the Research Department had one and it was used to haul the APT POP train so the excuse is this example (which will be numbered appropriately) is on a  proving run from RTC Derby ahead of trials commencing. It will be a while before they get underway as I am not expecting the kit for a while. Paul Leadley is going to design up some SA (Swinging Arm) bogies and has very kindly agreed to do me a 7mm kit in due course. 

Class-17-6.jpg.dd9963fe9b5ef58e861cb1269b3d4c1e.jpg

Class-17-1.jpg.9cee1ab074a437485f59d04fc5d954fa.jpg

Nice model. I'll get some spare track out at some point and run it on the conservatory window cill. I have  number of others that have yet to move under their own power as hte layout has not been up to run in 9 months.

Class-17-2.jpg.be8e787b7d275213613aed4b537bb1a2.jpg

Class-17-5.jpg.503a34c4fc3bf4b34710cafa0c37095b.jpg

class-17-3.jpg.5876f77e1d13477f7972c6802ddcf36c.jpg

Class-17-4.jpg.5c928ef3c7ebe63af97380432f2f55b8.jpg

here's hoping the model is more reliable than the prototype!

Work continues on the BAA and Freightliner sets. With construction of the second deck on the latter making progress, I have now eliminated the twisted deck. It will need more cleaning up than the last one but a quick once or twice over with the Dremel will sort that.

The BAA is stuck as I am not having much luck in soldering the steel load supports. They are etched in such a way that the fold is only at the end of the rails and the middle bit is etched through. I think the problem is that I am applying too much heat and the etches are twisting. I am going to try the Resistance Soldering Iron in it in the hope that will solve the problem.

I now have the correct transfers from Railtech but can't find the Flame Red paint I am sure I had in stock. I certainly used it when I made the OCA but that was over 20 years ago!  However I never throw anything away so its there somewhere!

All for now but more photos later.

Paul R

• Like 8

19 hours ago, pwr said:

More stock. I wasn't going to get a class 17 but given the Research Department had one and it was used to haul the APT POP train so the excuse is this example (which will be numbered appropriately) is on a  proving run from RTC Derby ahead of trials commencing. It will be a while before they get underway as I am not expecting the kit for a while. Paul Leadley is going to design up some SA (Swinging Arm) bogies and has very kindly agreed to do me a 7mm kit in due course. 

Class-17-6.jpg.dd9963fe9b5ef58e861cb1269b3d4c1e.jpg

Class-17-1.jpg.9cee1ab074a437485f59d04fc5d954fa.jpg

Nice model. I'll get some spare track out at some point and run it on the conservatory window cill. I have  number of others that have yet to move under their own power as hte layout has not been up to run in 9 months.

Class-17-2.jpg.be8e787b7d275213613aed4b537bb1a2.jpg

Class-17-5.jpg.503a34c4fc3bf4b34710cafa0c37095b.jpg

class-17-3.jpg.5876f77e1d13477f7972c6802ddcf36c.jpg

Class-17-4.jpg.5c928ef3c7ebe63af97380432f2f55b8.jpg

here's hoping the model is more reliable than the prototype!

That Class 17 looks completely at home on your layout.

My only thought was whether a green one might look even more stunning; and it would probably sit more happily alongside the 31.

In my view the two-tone green scheme looked its very best on the Clayton (other opinions are available!).

Paul