• RMweb Gold

I too have been made redundant, my PILON running out the beginning of April. Still pondering what to do with myself as I'm 44 and still need to work! Nearly 2 1/2 months being a makeshift teacher whilst the kids were home and now 2 days of them being back at school It's "what do I do now" time.

Still I've enjoyed a bit of modelling albeit around the kids schedules. 

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 4

I feel for you having been there twice before. Each time I have ended up with a better job so there is hope. However my pay off has allowed me to retire early and the wife has gone part time so I am hopeful of increasing my modelling output.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Joner said:

I too have been made redundant, my PILON running out the beginning of April. Still pondering what to do with myself as I'm 44 and still need to work! Nearly 2 1/2 months being a makeshift teacher whilst the kids were home and now 2 days of them being back at school It's "what do I do now" time.

Still I've enjoyed a bit of modelling albeit around the kids schedules. 

Paul 

3 hours ago, pwr said:

I feel for you having been there twice before. Each time I have ended up with a better job so there is hope. However my pay off has allowed me to retire early and the wife has gone part time so I am hopeful of increasing my modelling output.

Paul R

I guess I was lucky, I was made redundant at 60, and my wife worked out our finances, and said, if were careful with taking my Pensions etc we might be able to manage. We gave it a 3 Month trial, that was Feb 2011, still managing, just, but happy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I guess I was lucky, I was made redundant at 60, and my wife worked out our finances, and said, if were careful with taking my Pensions etc we might be able to manage. We gave it a 3 Month trial, that was Feb 2011, still managing, just, but happy.

Sounds like you' ve done well on it Andy. I am hoping I can say the same!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Made redundant four times in my working life came back each time railway modeling kept me sane ,finally gave up six months early due to wifes health probs.Best thing I have ever done  twelve years now  ,like the buffers.

This is my third time but I am looking forward to it. There is so much more to life than work - although it does pay the bills and keeps us in trains!

Paul R

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well I hadn't intended to do this today but sometimes you pick something up and it feels easier than you thought. However I have now replaced the final drive on the Hymek.

Gears-2.jpg.a5eacbd54c30f1b2ed0ee890b1619d85.jpg

You can see the replacement on the right.

The nylon gear is very easy to get off because it has split. Getting the new one on needed a bit of brute force and ignorance (and the use of a hammer) but its in. I have put it back together and I am pleased to say its all fine and purring along like a sewing machine - apart from the fan noise which I am going to disconnect as they are more of a gimmick than anything else. 

I have decided not to replace the final drive gears on the other axles at this point but I have three more in case. 

I am also going to leave the 37 alone until the next gear fails when I will replace with the remaining Ultrascale set I have in stock.  the only worry then is the Deltic but that hasn't shown any signs of gear issues as yet.  

Now to get a set of screw couplings that Heljan failed to supply despite sending the card in to claim a set.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

Bit more work on the BAA. I have made up the end stanchions. I have decided not to solder these to the deck at this time as they will be easier to paint if they are separate from the main deck. These were flame red whereas the rest of the deck is black and masking these will be a bit of nightmare as will getting paint into the sub structure. I have decided to glue them on when the wagon is otherwise nearly done. A thin coat of epoxy will suffice.

BAA-3.jpg.038bdb26ac8de33cb4c4c7f085205db8.jpg

BAA-2.jpg.7241e30cc47c4d7ea3125b18159c15e6.jpg

This is coming on a treat now - I just ned to get the rest of the load supports soldered on. 

All for now

Paul R

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Some new coaching stock has arrived. The new Dapol/Lionheart Mk1. I have a BSK and SK with the CK still to come.

This is an early straight out of the box shot - sorry about the poor quality

Lionheart-1.jpg.d9256b123b1b1c5c4bca35915e27172a.jpg

First impressions are that these are superb with some excellent detail and design features. Even the shell lights on the compartment walls are modelled and I don't think I would go that far on a kit - in fact the Easy-build SK which is still not finished isn't that detailed.

More later

Paul R

• Like 9

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Some new coaching stock has arrived. The new Dapol/Lionheart Mk1. I have a BSK and SK with the CK still to come.

This is an early straight out of the box shot - sorry about the poor quality

Lionheart-1.jpg.d9256b123b1b1c5c4bca35915e27172a.jpg

First impressions are that these are superb with some excellent detail and design features. Even the shell lights on the compartment walls are modelled and I don't think I would go that far on a kit - in fact the Easy-build SK which is still not finished isn't that detailed.

More later

Paul R

They look great Paul, I might have to treat myself to a BSK when they release one with the raised window surrounds.

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

They look great Paul, I might have to treat myself to a BSK when they release one with the raised window surrounds.

Yes I would like some blue and grey versions with raised window surrounds and commonwealth bogies. I did have some of these in blue/grey on order but cancelled them pending the later versions.

The only downsides I can see is the Kadee couplings which are not at buffer height. They won't therefore couple to the Hatton's Gresley's for example and only the brake coach has a working screw coupling on one end only although they have a plain hook everywhere else. So unless you change the couplings they are going to be restricted to fixed rakes with a brake at each end which is not prototypical. I am going to see if I can replace the plain hooks with Dapol screw links at one end on the SK. Then when the CK arrives it can operate as a three car fixed rake which is the maximum length I can accommodate in the Notley fiddle yards with an engine.

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes I would like some blue and grey versions with raised window surrounds and commonwealth bogies. I did have some of these in blue/grey on order but cancelled them pending the later versions.

The only downsides I can see is the Kadee couplings which are not at buffer height. They won't therefore couple to the Hatton's Gresley's for example and only the brake coach has a working screw coupling on one end only although they have a plain hook everywhere else. So unless you change the couplings they are going to be restricted to fixed rakes with a brake at each end which is not prototypical. I am going to see if I can replace the plain hooks with Dapol screw links at one end on the SK. Then when the CK arrives it can operate as a three car fixed rake which is the maximum length I can accommodate in the Notley fiddle yards with an engine.

Paul R

Thanks Paul. The coupling set up seems odd but actually won't cause me any problems due to how I operate my layout and the fact I can only fit 1 coach in.

So not much happening at present as I am having to clear my office (workshop) as its being decorated. Its also having a new carpet which probably won't be fitted until mid May so I am going to be limited to what I can do. I am hoping to keep enough out to keep building kits but I have very limited access to the layout so posts may be fewer over the period.

In the meantime I am still soldering up the load bed for the BAA.

BAA-4.jpg.28e44c25941c8fd6daeb932ecc429355.jpg

BAA-5.jpg.3941b37ea73a8db875bd6b9fce50a01b.jpg

As you can see I am having trouble getting these straight but this is probably prototypical of them in service.

I have 32 more to do which is a bit tedious.

I also need to finish off the next freightliner deck. I have the coupling mount to do and the castings for the container supports. I probably wont start the third one until after the workshop is back together but I have some Parkside kits I can be getting on with.

Paul R

• Like 9

I have lost access to my workshop for a week whilst its being decorated and more sockets installed. I hope to be able to resume soldering at Easter but it means that all work on the Freightliner flats and BAA has had to stop. So meantime I have decided to knock up this Parkside LMS banana van. This along with the Southern one and a similar vehicle from The Freightman will break up the Dapol vans. I can always also add a non banana designated as such to get a bit of variety.

Its a standard Parkside build which will be fitted with Dapol 3 link couplings.

LMS-Banana.jpg.5897a2a93435a22a79fe7338217c8c88.jpg

Even at my speed I ought to get this done by Friday ready for painting anyway

Paul R

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, pwr said:

Nearly there. The roof is not glued on yet and I have some bits to fix on buffers and brake gear.

LMS-Banana-2.jpg.e140c48a4a425bc5119ef15787ac076a.jpg

Need to find my bauxite paint!

Paul R

Red oxide primer is my bauxite. I need a good old plakky wagon kit wedged inbetween the madness of brass construction to keep sane... 

Nice build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Right the banana van is now finished apart from painting and buffers/couplings so I have been up in the loft and retrieved this

Lowfit-2.jpg.e88145b6e5d995443b1a726a70338153.jpg

I have a couple of these to build and which are going to be loaded with Vanguard Hillman Minx's being delivered to the local dealers.

Slaters kits are much more complex than Parkside as you can see from below.

Lowfit-1.jpg.5885a1b4e658114f7be1e45421f09af8.jpg

In addition there are lost wax castings and whitemetal bits as well as a complete set of etchings. So far I have got as far as separating parts and cleaning them up. There is more under the solebar than there is above in this kit!

It looks as if I won't be back in my workshop for another 4 weeks which is hampering progress on the Freightliner flats and BAA. I only have another 3 and a bit weeks to work but have practically nothing so I am getting a few bits built in the meantime.

Paul R

• Like 5

On 18/03/2021 at 10:46, pwr said:

Paul R

I received a pair of Heljan Gresleys and Dapol Mk1s.  The coupling arrangements are pretty strange.

The Heljans are fitted with plastic hooks and a representation of buckeye couplings.  However, unless I missed something the buckeyes are cosmetic and have no practical use.  I replaced the end couplings with brass hooks and reused the dropdown buckeyes.  I can use the loco screw link.  TBF, a pair of screwlinks are included in the box but using these would not be strictly correct.

P1010032.JPG.12b945b7588cd795c628ce7ba754006b.JPG

I did fit Kadees to the 'tween coach ends.  Quite good.  I replaced the rigid plastic gangways with folded paper flexible gangways.

P1010033.JPG.10e3042fc11ee3cf35cc51cbb5fdb197.JPG

The Dapol couplings are a bit better.  There are faux Kadee on non brake ends, but, as you say these are below the buffer beams.  There's a screwlink on the brake end.

I used the same method as with the Gresleys for end couplings.

P1010029.JPG.ac26de3bcc3d42d45a4c5c63519504d5.JPG

Since I took the picture I have made end doors from plastic card.

I posted pics and more details of this in the respective threads here.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Right the banana van is now finished apart from painting and buffers/couplings so I have been up in the loft and retrieved this

Lowfit-2.jpg.e88145b6e5d995443b1a726a70338153.jpg

I have a couple of these to build and which are going to be loaded with Vanguard Hillman Minx's being delivered to the local dealers.

Slaters kits are much more complex than Parkside as you can see from below.

Lowfit-1.jpg.5885a1b4e658114f7be1e45421f09af8.jpg

In addition there are lost wax castings and whitemetal bits as well as a complete set of etchings. So far I have got as far as separating parts and cleaning them up. There is more under the solebar than there is above in this kit!

It looks as if I won't be back in my workshop for another 4 weeks which is hampering progress on the Freightliner flats and BAA. I only have another 3 and a bit weeks to work but have practically nothing so I am getting a few bits built in the meantime.

Paul R

I think Slaters kits are more refined than Peco/Parkside.  Both very good though IMO.  I dislike  WM vac pipes and usually replace with Slaters flex ones.  I quite like Dapol screw links but the spring is pretty weak.

John

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2021 at 09:26, pwr said:

Some new coaching stock has arrived. The new Dapol/Lionheart Mk1.

Can I ask, are the 4 passenger windows on the brake, the same size and spacing as each set of 4 on the Sk? I was thinking of getting two BSKs to make a BG and if the leftovers could be made into an SK then its more appealing.