5 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Can I ask, are the 4 passenger windows on the brake, the same size and spacing as each set of 4 on the Sk? I was thinking of getting two BSKs to make a BG and if the leftovers could be made into an SK then its more appealing.

You are scaring me.  :scared:

John

• Funny 2

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Can I ask, are the 4 passenger windows on the brake, the same size and spacing as each set of 4 on the Sk? I was thinking of getting two BSKs to make a BG and if the leftovers could be made into an SK then its more appealing.

I'll run a ruler over it. I do have the various books with plans but these are not accessible at present.

Paul R

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Interesting that the website photo shows it with 4 shoe Morton brakes

There are 8 in the kit!

I checked Paul Bartlett's web site and there are both 4 and 8 shoe variants. Other sources show some had LNER Vac brakes, others Morton and still others BR!

The kit seems to have the BR.

There is also a question on this site - here. This has diagrams of the brakes. 

You don't realise how complicated this is until you start looking!!!!!

Paul R

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I had a quick look and the answer is yes but you shouldn't take my word for it. As and when I can get to my library I can consult plans.

However you might be better off buying an Easybuild kit for the BG. I have no idea whether Dapol will add this or indeed an RMB/FK/BCK to the range, all of which would be welcome. All we have had as far as I can see is that the later raised window versions will be produced which I will wait for.

According to Tower models the new batch of GUV's will be here at the end of April and I need a couple of them for my parcels train.

Paul R

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pwr said:

I had a quick look and the answer is yes but you shouldn't take my word for it. As and when I can get to my library I can consult plans.

However you might be better off buying an Easybuild kit for the BG. I have no idea whether Dapol will add this or indeed an RMB/FK/BCK to the range, all of which would be welcome. All we have had as far as I can see is that the later raised window versions will be produced which I will wait for.

According to Tower models the new batch of GUV's will be here at the end of April and I need a couple of them for my parcels train.

Paul R

Agree that if a BG is desired, a kit seems to me to be the best way.  This isn't 00 where you can take a cheap old Airfix coach and bash it about.

I made a Gresley BG from a Kirk kit.

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure Dapol will do a BG as it's a different length so would share very little from these. That's probably what will stop me trying as well. The sides are separate parts so they have given themselves the option to tool other full length types later on though.

I'd like to see an easy build next to a Dapol but they've never looked quite right to me - whereas Dapol seem to have got the proportions right.

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm hijacking this thread so apologies. For me the Dapols are streets ahead of the others in appearance, apart from the MMP brass kit, so thats where the appeal of a conversion lies.

17 minutes ago, AJon30 said:

Have you considered the Darstead/Ellis Clarke BG? Make sure you get the right coupling - comes with Kadees

Rgds Andrew

These are out of stock: 

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/collections/darstaed-finescale-o-gauge

Price seems to comparable to Lionheart.  Better than buying 2 LH to hack about I think.

John

On 07/04/2021 at 17:44, Hal Nail said:

Interesting that the website photo shows it with 4 shoe Morton brakes

That caught me out recently,  ended up buying another wagon to swap the brake gear with to get the 4 shoe variant...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brossard said:

These are out of stock: 

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/collections/darstaed-finescale-o-gauge

Price seems to comparable to Lionheart.  Better than buying 2 LH to hack about I think.

John

I thought the shape of these was wrong and the windows are not at the right height. In fairness they are not sold as scale models - There is a photo comparison between Dapol/Heljan and Darstead's on the Dapol topic in the suppliers topics.

You can find it here Dapol Mark 1 coaches? - Page 10 - Dapol - RMweb.

There is always the Westdale version if you can get hold of it

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hmmm, not really a detailed comparison though.  I'm not sufficiently au fait with Mk1s to be able to pick out the subtle differences.  I did toy with getting some but my dithering meant they were sold out.  They are marketed as Finescale.  I think Darstaedt were originally coarse 0 but I guess they saw where the market was going.

My coach fleet, 2 Mk1 and 2 Gresley is about as big as I want it to be, at least for now.

Cheers

John

So progress on the Lowfit is not as quick as I had anticipated. The kit has not gone together as well as expected as the buffer beams don't fit very well and leave the buffers with a pronounced droop at both ends because the beam is not vertical. The solution has been to cut down behind the beam and insert a slice of plastikard to force it to 90 degrees to the floor. 

You cant really see it in this picture but this is as far as I have got. 

Lowfit-4.jpg.dcc914810c9cdad2dda46390a9a7c48b.jpg

I am going to fit the lashing rings once the wagon is painted. 

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well progress on the Lowfit has been slow largely because i can't get to my stock of bits and I needed some brass wire for the brake gear. I had to resort to buying some fuse wire but the job is done and I am moving on to axle guards and motion bits. 

Lowfit-5.jpg.717d6310759b0e6b07b5600d20a7e4fa.jpg

Despite adjustments to the buffer beams I still have a droopy buffer so will have to have another go at that.

The good news is that I should be able to get back into my workshop at the end of next week so can crack on and restart work on the Freightliner decks and the BAA.

In other news a couple of blue Mk1 GUV parcels vans will be arriving on 10th May (birthday) and Minerva have announced a GWR Siphon G, available in blue, so with the Heljan CCT I will have a full 1970's parcels train.

Onwards!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I also got this IXO 1:43 Fiat which I need to anglicise.

Fiat-2.jpg.2f3c97c7091a77f49ececc7889ee6918.jpg

Fiat-1.jpg.293a973f917fb406cc2da2db9004a7f5.jpg

Its not a bad model and was ordered with an articulated container lorry which has two 1:43 containers which I will be interested to compare to my scratchbuilt versions.

I don't know why I bought this one as I wanted a Volvo! However it will make a useful scale 1970's lorry. I'll need to work out how to convert to RHD but dismantling it seems to be as easy as the BMC tipper.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, pwr said:

I also got this IXO 1:43 Fiat which I need to anglicise.

Fiat-2.jpg.2f3c97c7091a77f49ececc7889ee6918.jpg

Fiat-1.jpg.293a973f917fb406cc2da2db9004a7f5.jpg

Its not a bad model and was ordered with an articulated container lorry which has two 1:43 containers which I will be interested to compare to my scratchbuilt versions.

I don't know why I bought this one as I wanted a Volvo! However it will make a useful scale 1970's lorry. I'll need to work out how to convert to RHD but dismantling it seems to be as easy as the BMC tipper.

Paul R

Looks a nice project, Pegaso never sold that cab in the UK but it is the same as the VW LT 35 and was also used by MAN up to 7.5t which sold in reasonable numbers in the UK, mostly to fleet and hire operators.

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

Looks a nice project, Pegaso never sold that cab in the UK but it is the same as the VW LT 35 and was also used by MAN up to 7.5t which sold in reasonable numbers in the UK, mostly to fleet and hire operators.

Thanks for that. I'll know what to search for when I come to modify! Its going to get a re-spray in any event so I will lose the decals and I suspect I may need a new radiator grill but that should be easy enough.

Paul R

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Thanks for that. I'll know what to search for when I come to modify! Its going to get a re-spray in any event so I will lose the decals and I suspect I may need a new radiator grill but that should be easy enough.

Paul R

Yes it is an easy modification to the grille. It looks like it is a model of circa 6t so more suited to an MAN rather than VW LT35 which were lighter weight:

VW LT35

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/30797788@N03/4597618343/

MAN

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinylone/5649922934

45 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Yes it is an easy modification to the grille. It looks like it is a model of circa 6t so more suited to an MAN rather than VW LT35 which were lighter weight:

VW LT35

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/30797788@N03/4597618343/

MAN

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinylone/5649922934

Brilliant thank you

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That cab instantly reminded me of the two green ones I used to drive for Smiles brewery, Bristol. They were MAN, G reg IIRC. Replaced by some not up to the job Daihatsu's. 

Paul

Edited by Joner
Spelling Daihatsu!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joner said:

That cab instantly reminded me of the two green ones I used to drive for Smiles brewery, Bristol. They were MAN, G reg IIRC. Replaced by some not up to the job Daihatsu's. 

Paul

As a Bristol lad growing up in the mid 90's and going to school nearby to the brewery, I remember those wagons well.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2021 at 10:25, 37114 said:

As a Bristol lad growing up in the mid 90's and going to school nearby to the brewery, I remember those wagons well.

It may very well have been me driving!

• Like 1