13 hours ago, jcarta said:

Looks good Paul ...... Paint job is first class, what  varnish do you use?

I've got some Railmatch matt varnish but was wondering if I should get some satin. The can is half used so I don't know if it will be any good. The blue and grey paints are Railmatch and I have some of the pots whcih I can use to cut in and retouch and know the colour will be the same, the differnence between the spray and the brush being taken care of at varnish stage.

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of posts here. I've not gone anywhere but havent actually got much to show yet. I have finished the transfers and glazed the BG and I am now in the process of applying window bars.

Once they are in place I can get the body mounted on the chassis, bogies fixed and then some minor finishing off and its done.

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've now got to the point where the body is on the chassis and the bogies fitted.

A bit of retouching to do on the chassis and the gangways to fit after which the lighting connectors will go on and the ETH hoses.

I am quite pleased with this

BG16.jpg.1a56228adede4ec572d907ea751446ed.jpg

I still think the Westdale windows are set too low but I can't do anything about that.

All for now. When its done I'll place on the layout for a better photo seet

Paul R

Edited by pwr
spelling
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, pwr said:

I still think the Westdale windows are set too low but I can't do anything about that.

I think Easybuild and Darstaed might suffer from this as well. I couldn't quite put a finger on it until I saw one next to a Dapol/Lionheart.

That's a very nice build though.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 20:04, pwr said:

Ok I've now got to the point where the body is on the chassis and the bogies fitted.

A bit of retouching to do on the chassis and the gangways to fit after which the lighting connectors will go on and the ETH hoses.

I am quite pleased with this

BG16.jpg.5980d7619d2dee67e376ea99c3cc89d7.jpg

All for now. When its done I'll place on the layout for a better photo seet

Paul R

Looks like you have done a grand job ..... looks very nice

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Well its finished!

BG-17.jpg.14797751f33711027e3b9a739c1b960a.jpg

BG-18.jpg.a9a7ef3d569f2f7257dafb5521e3a437.jpg

Still not happy with the ride height.

The next three photos show it posed with a Lionheart MK 1 and you can see the height is several mm too high. I have some scope to lower the body on the bogies but not by very much.

BG-19.jpg.3208573005c7fef41c689955c6aba98b.jpg

BG-20.jpg.84bceb3d6798603a8dfb12353c1263da.jpg

BG-21.jpg.2f3261a9c4fa6e33a1a284a93e29260a.jpg

If I take too much off the bogies it will foul the underframe.

I am beginning to think this is a combination of incorrect body height which can be seen when the windows on the BG are compared to those on the BSK. They are much lower from the top white lining and this is I think a fault in the kit.

The coach will probbaly not run with other passenger stock. It shouldn't look to much out of place with a GUV and CCT combination and I already have it earmarked for the POP train when I can persuade Paul Leadley to print it for me!! In fairness he is probbaly stuck on thje SA bogies. However I now have three vehicles for that train - this, the class 17 and the class 45. I think the other MK 1 that ran at the other end was LAb 3 which wll have to be a conversion.

I will have to make some effort to finish the EasyBuild SK and see how tat compares with both the Westdale and the Lionheart offerings.

Transfers are from Railtech - very easy to use.

Oh well onwards and upwards

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 6

You have done an amazing job with what started out as a pigs ear as I recall.  You should be well satisfied.

From the difference between the buffers of the BG to the loco, looks like you need to drop the body about 2mm.  Looking at the bogie clearance, there appears to be enough to my eye.  If your layout is an out and back design like mine, your curves should be pretty gentle and bogie swing not great.  You can always fettle behind the solebar to gain extra clearance for wheels.

My 2 cents.

John

• RMweb Premium

I took a Lionheart BSK apart and I'm pretty sure two could be turned into a BG fairly easily and then worst case use the spare underframe for a car flat or a cobbled together SK. Would love to have a go at this but then I picked up a Bachmann brass BG very cheap, which is a good shape and so no need to risk trying the conversion!

Haven't ever had the Lionheart and Bachmann together in the same place to compare but, similar to you, I wasn't actually planning to run them together anyway. I will repaint the BG blue and grey for my diesel days. I'll be more than happy if I get a finish half as good as yours!

1 hour ago, brossard said:

You have done an amazing job with what started out as a pigs ear as I recall.  You should be well satisfied.

From the difference between the buffers of the BG to the loco, looks like you need to drop the body about 2mm.  Looking at the bogie clearance, there appears to be enough to my eye.  If your layout is an out and back design like mine, your curves should be pretty gentle and bogie swing not great.  You can always fettle behind the solebar to gain extra clearance for wheels.

My 2 cents.

John

John

Yes I reckon you are right and I may have enough material on the boss to do this. As you say the fact that its an end to end with relatively easy radii it shouldnt be a problem. The issue I had earlier is that the bogie end frame fouled the underframe trusses which are probabaly a bit high at that point. Cured by taking some material from them which you cabnt see on normal operation.

Paul R

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I took a Lionheart BSK apart and I'm pretty sure two could be turned into a BG fairly easily and then worst case use the spare underframe for a car flat or a cobbled together SK. Would love to have a go at this but then I picked up a Bachmann brass BG very cheap, which is a good shape and so no need to risk trying the conversion!

Haven't ever had the Lionheart and Bachmann together in the same place to compare but, similar to you, I wasn't actually planning to run them together anyway. I will repaint the BG blue and grey for my diesel days. I'll be more than happy if I get a finish half as good as yours!

Paint was from rattle cans! I could have done better on the masking but the white lining covers a multitude of sins. Same issue on the EasyBuild SK! Satin varnish finishes it off

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to wish everyone on here a very Happy Christmas and Peaceful  New Year.

I am shutting down for the break but will be back with a couple of Christmas presents to show off after the break

Paul R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Hi All

Just to wish everyone on here a very Happy Christmas and Peaceful  New Year.

I am shutting down for the break but will be back with a couple of Christmas presents to show off after the break

Paul R

Merry Christmas to you too Paul lets hope 2022 is a much better one.

• Thanks 1

Now that the BG is done I have gone back to the BAA and having puzzled over the bogie stretchers I had to resort to looking at the Cavalex model!!!.

The stretchers supplied have no means to support them in the correct place so I have soldered a brass bar across the end of the sideframes. The picture shows this better than I can describe it.

Bogies.jpg.3ba4ac78df10fd6ed1b79d9775ff2f88.jpg

These need to be filed down and the end stretchers that are below these will now have something to fix them too.

For those not familair with the technique, the art of soldering brass to whitemetal is to tin the brass with 188 or higher solder. Then you can use low melt to solder to the whitemetal. In this way the low melt bonds with the 188 and a joint is formed as the low temperature of the iron is not enough to melt the 188 which is joined to the brass.

I will glue the other bits of the stretchers with epoxy as the play no part in the strength of the bogie.

In other news I have taken my new Christmas trucks out of the boxes although they have not yet made it to being posed on the layout.

Trucks.jpg.acc150fc9180787e0dc7cd0029dab65c.jpg

The Frans Maas DAF 2600 is from 1965 and the Volvo F88 cab unit is from 1975. There is no trailer with this although there is a basic model available that will suit albeit no markings. These are both IXO models and they are really well detailed and again both to 1:43 scale and oth in date for the layout. Both are RHS but with the DAF having the TIR markings it can legitimately stay that way as if it came over on the ferry from Belgium via the Hook of Holland. I'll need to fit a driver.  Not sure what to do with the Volvo yet.

I am after the Scania 110  cab unit from IXO and have a Scannia 141 and trailer on order from Spain via Ebay wich is allegedly quite rare. There is one more Volvo cab that I may get and I have also found a Scania141 with twin container trailer similar to the Volvo and cointainers posted earlier. These are differrent liveries and can be removed so I can place them on the FFA. I've not ordered yet as SWMBO will not be happy!

So tomorrow I hope to make more progress with the BAA and finally get the new 47 on the layout.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 5

Here are some photos of the trucks on the layout including the Leyland Sherpa in its James Bond guise. This is scheduled to have a yellow respray to a British Rail van.

Sherpa-1.jpg.1ea8e8243c6ff6bc7c28d3e9332b7540.jpg

Sherpa-2.jpg.f80569ab6fd5e372b0272126bb25e9a1.jpg

DAF-1.jpg.d1fe7ec1a704837a5fe0c7d2e83f5389.jpg

Truck-10.jpg.66842a76cff07d627b9c6e7c1dc9c3c7.jpg

Truck-11.jpg.bc5048cc81dba84977ef16448dc321eb.jpg

I still haven't managed to get the 47 out yet.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Those road vehicles look excellent!

I don't suppose you've found a 1:43 Volvo F86? Manchester Liners had a fleet of them in the late 1960s and I'd love to recreate scenes like this with road, rail and ship:
image.png.81a92d56a6e7482a9f416d661f9e05a6.pngimage.png.fd0c361ed72fd288c28ce9e17248c75d.png

Sadly not. There are three types of cab I have found bit not this one

Paul R

• Thanks 1

Been doing some research into Sherpa vans. The configuration I have got in the images above doesn't seem to match any British Rail Vehicles. They had crew bus versions with either one wndow in the side or a full complement in the form of a minibus. The pure vans seemed to have a high top. The nearest I can get is a Post Office Telephones version which has the identical grill and van layout.  The grill version shown here seems to be an earlier version. later vans had a shollower version with full bumpers.

So I have a choice to make. Paint it BR yellow and know its not correct. Do as a Post office van - transfers anyone? Lastly I could attempt a high top version.

My preference is a BR yellow version so I will keep looking.

Incdentally does anyone know what shade of yellow the BR vans are painted in. Was it rail yellow or some other colour and how does this complare to Post Office yellow?

Paul R

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 18:01, Mol_PMB said:

Those road vehicles look excellent!

I don't suppose you've found a 1:43 Volvo F86? Manchester Liners had a fleet of them in the late 1960s and I'd love to recreate scenes like this with road, rail and ship:
image.png.81a92d56a6e7482a9f416d661f9e05a6.pngimage.png.fd0c361ed72fd288c28ce9e17248c75d.png

I had a look, the only one I could find was a kit but it is 1.50 scale.

16 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I had a look, the only one I could find was a kit but it is 1.50 scale.

Many thanks, yes I found that one too, but as well as being a bit small it seems  hard to get hold of. 

I found an stl file for the cab (only) for sale online but I’ve little idea how easily that could be translated into a 3D print. 

Sorry, this is probably going a bit off-topic. My fault! 

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Many thanks, yes I found that one too, but as well as being a bit small it seems  hard to get hold of. 

I found an stl file for the cab (only) for sale online but I’ve little idea how easily that could be translated into a 3D print. 

Sorry, this is probably going a bit off-topic. My fault! 

Oh don't worry about going off topic. If it helps another member I'm good with that!

Paul R

Well after reboxing some opther locos I have now found room to display the 47.

Class-47-1.jpg.cad07f5685e5e59298fecfab05009b9e.jpg

Class-47-2.jpg.2368ed336dc38fead7c63caa906630dd.jpg

Class-47-3.jpg.1b49e4ab3816b49a929d55d042df2fed.jpg

Class-47-4.jpg.5f264f9fffc0e0d7b1ed9117ec8de5e9.jpg

Class-47-5.jpg.d68e3e7c917bbadbd9a3c99cc87711bd.jpg

I am pleased to say I was not one of those who suferred a broken buffer although one of the spring mounts on the bogie has come loose and the spring is missing but I think I can fix that without too much pain.

I know there has been some debate about the shape of the cab end but to me in a layout setting it doesn't look too bad. It looks the part so I am happy. I now need to dismantly spary the roof silver/grey and paint the buffer beams red. Then I can apply the Union Jack and numbers fr 47 163. This is afirmly going to be a mid 1977 loco!!! I'll need to replace the head codes with dominos at both ends - I may have to make my own unless they are available from Gaugemaster. I'll have to check.  The BMC on the Lowmac is for conversion - probabaly a Sunblest lorry! I might get a third one for something else.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 4