The 47 and the BG look super together! And I look forward to seeing the Union Jack - I have childhood memories of a Union Jack branded 47 hauling the Royal train to Chelmsford, but it can't have been 1977, I think it was 1988. Perhaps my memory is confused!

Also keen to see what you do with the BMC.

Mol

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Well after reoxing some opther locos I have now found room to display the 47.

Class-47-1.jpg.7b116db627858b60966eaa445ae7f5f4.jpg

Class-47-2.jpg.b60e57e22524d873fb1b4c7806b0d378.jpg

Class-47-3.jpg.65c9fdbae103b62dedbdcb0313c79226.jpg

Class-47-4.jpg.7a792fb3a8ee9a06b3f5964be1dcb956.jpg

Class-47-5.jpg.f71cdba781b596f8fb91aaa0ba40e31d.jpg

I am pleased to say I was not one of those who suferred a broken buffer although one of the spring mounts on the bogie has come loose and the spring is missing but I think I can fix that without too much pain.

I know there has been some debate about the shape of the cab end but to me in a layout setting it doesn't look too bad. It looks the part so I am happy. I now need to dismantly spary the roof silver/grey and paint the buffer beams red. Then I can apply the Union Jack and numbers fr 47 163. This is afirmly going to be a mid 1977 loco!!! I'll need to replace the head codes with dominos at both ends - I may have to make my own unless they are available from Gaugemaster. I'll have to check.  The BMC on the Lowmac is for conversion - probabaly a Sunblest lorry! I might get a third one for something else.

Paul R

I think you may have seen it but just in case; I have made a Sunblest FG, the transfers were made for me by Steadfast models, I am sure Jo still has them on file etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pwr said:

I know there has been some debate about the shape of the cab end but to me in a layout setting it doesn't look too bad. It looks the part so I am happy.

I reckon just going round the inside of the windows with black is an easy fix that would help - looks like its an 80's new romantic at the moment!

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I reckon just going round the inside of the windows with black is an easy fix that would help - looks like its an 80's new romantic at the moment!

I would use a light gray same as the cap interior as black would not right. 

20 hours ago, 37114 said:

I think you may have seen it but just in case; I have made a Sunblest FG, the transfers were made for me by Steadfast models, I am sure Jo still has them on file etc.

Yes have seen this and thanks for the link to the transfers. I thought you did a great job.

Paul R

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

The 47 and the BG look super together! And I look forward to seeing the Union Jack - I have childhood memories of a Union Jack branded 47 hauling the Royal train to Chelmsford, but it can't have been 1977, I think it was 1988. Perhaps my memory is confused!

Mol

County of Hertfordshire was done up in a special livery for the wedding of Charles and Diana but 1988 seems too late for that. The livery has been done in preservation but I don't think on the correct loco.

I am going to see if I can make the Silver Jubilee headboard carried at buffer beam height.

The upgrade/repaint is going to be done once I have completed the BAA

Paul R

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Yes will need to look at that.

The grey patch on the roof whilst prototypical stands out ike a sore thumb and needs toning down wahtever I do.

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

image.png.6051c22d1de874b4ca46c3fce9ade6e0.png

5 hours ago, pwr said:

On 02/01/2022 at 17:03, Mol_PMB said:

Mol

5 hours ago, pwr said:

County of Hertfordshire was done up in a special livery for the wedding of Charles and Diana but 1988 seems too late for that. The livery has been done in preservation but I don't think on the correct loco.

I am going to see if I can make the Silver Jubilee headboard carried at buffer beam height.

The upgrade/repaint is going to be done once I have completed the BAA

Paul R

47583 was repainted in honour of the forthcoming wedding but it was a very short lived livery and I do believe that this was in July 1981.

Here is my version of it in O Gauge

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, jcarta said:

47583 was repainted in honour of the forthcoming wedding but it was a very short lived livery and I do believe that this was in July 1981.

Here is my version of it in O Gauge

Lovely job Jim

I seem to recall that in this period it had red and blue stripes within the white lines

Paul R

Another arrival today is this Scania 141 from Spain via that well known aution site. I beleive it to be IXO but there are no makers marks on the cab. Its apparently very rare and I missed one in December before this was listed on Christmas Day. An urgent purchase and this has just been delivered.

Scania-1.jpg.9d5bbd0f8e29b44039c749f7499fd688.jpg

Scania-2.jpg.277768036c697cf643202bab8dfe530b.jpg

Scania-3.jpg.cc32eed590962f6012259776e0f720ab.jpg

Scania-4.jpg.21dad1d47f099af3ef6dcf9a3a262543.jpgI am really pleased with this and now want to get the container version with the same cab and also the earlier Scania 110. Might have to wait till February for that!

Also now got all the transfers I need for the Silver Jubilee 47 including the headboard whcih came from Precision Labels. Its not listed so you need to contact the proprietor who has upscaled this from his 4mm version. These are vinyls and will need sealing with a non water based varnish. I'll do that when I spray the BAA and the 47 will follow that wagon down the production line!

Transfers-3.jpg.91c478ec237f34a78e2dd40f82450e31.jpg

I also struck lucky on a Heljan Class B Esso tanker which was listed on the daily updates from that well known Widnes box shifter. Price surprisingly not unreasonable but it will need new vac pipes as those on the model are broken albeit I have yet to have to out of the box.  That doubles my stock of these wagons and I could do with a few more as funds permit.

All for now

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 4

I'm very tempted by several of the IXO trucks. They just don't make quite what I'm looking for, for my late 1960s Manchester container trucks.

They do look like lovely models - how easy are they to dismantle, for example to convert to right hand drive?

16 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Daft question Paul is it 1/43? Great looking vehicle btw.

regards

Julian

Yes it most certainly is 1:43. I think IXO make commercial vehicles only in this scale.

Paul R

17 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I'm very tempted by several of the IXO trucks. They just don't make quite what I'm looking for, for my late 1960s Manchester container trucks.

They do look like lovely models - how easy are they to dismantle, for example to convert to right hand drive?

I havent looked on this particular model but its usually a couple of pozi drive type screws. I'll check later. The BMC was very easy to convert.

Paul R

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2022 at 19:38, Mol_PMB said:

I have done 3 conversion  to right hand drive (Leyland FG, Bedford TK and Bedford TJ) they are all relatively easy, the dashboard is the hardest part but is made of plastic so easy cut and shut job. The TJ had triangle head screws but I bought a set of appropriate heads for a screwdrive off ebay for a few quid

Edited by 37114
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

OK so after a bit of concerted effort the BAA is finished aprt from painting, air pipes and steps (one missing in the kit).

So I can now clean up and get the primer out. The end stantions are not fixed yet as these are to be flame red and I will glue these on after as it will make it unnecesary to mask. The only other task is to relocate the brake wheels on the bogies as these are in the wrong place.  I have a set of railtech transfers in stock so all good there too.

BAA---10.jpg.4b5521d4b51ce915114ef84a67fce16a.jpg

BAA---11.jpg.efe7925b81c3b490f0665b74df283be9.jpg

BAA---12.jpg.956a6650b6aee1465713fd70d3fb413a.jpg

BAA---13.jpg.784e264448115ed941b6f5916ba69031.jpg

As I remarked before this kit is very much a product of the 1980''s and I am afraid it shows but untill we get a better one or an RTR it wll have to do.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

An impressive vehicle and it really looks the part. Well done for achieving such a good result. The real things got pretty battered so there's nothing to worry about a few imperfections (not that I can see any from this distance). I look forward to seeing it painted.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

An impressive vehicle and it really looks the part. Well done for achieving such a good result. The real things got pretty battered so there's nothing to worry about a few imperfections (not that I can see any from this distance). I look forward to seeing it painted.

13 hours ago, jcarta said:

Certainly looks the part Paul.......:good:

Thank you both for your comments. Anyone know where I can get some coil loads?

Paul R

Thought I would have a look at my latest Hattons second hand purchase.

Esso-1.jpg.d353a0119c7e49da19d56ba07171255e.jpg

Looks alright in this shot but I am afraid I have bought a pig in a poke.

I think at some point the original purchaser (who paid £69.50 for two in a single transaction - I know this as the receipt was still in hte box) has dropped this on the floor and has tried to mend it - badly.

Esso-2.jpg.2850ab0661ba411c37f0f31932a0bd38.jpg

As you can see one of the brake assemblies is badly bent, all the buffers have been glued in - there is a blob of what looks like UHU in the photo and both ladders are broken and re-glued albeit one has a piece broken off.

Esso-3.jpg.280eaa1b46bc05cf04d641469d5e7191.jpg

Esso-4.jpg.9388aa453a9fb03bea4feb0263b58a97.jpg

I wouldn't mind but there was no mention of this when it was advertised - just said 'good box'. I doubt Hattons even took it out of the box when they got it. Oh and both vac pipes are broken. I got it because they are so rare and I only have one existing one and the price ws much less than the new batch from Heljan.  £68 for a broken model is a bit steep if you ask me but I guess there is no point in complaining.

In have some brass ladder somewhere I can hopefully fix this with and I can remove and re-glue the buffers. I doubt they can be repaired but I will look. I think I may be able to bend the brake assembly back. Might check Gaugemaster for spares but its doubtful and I find their search and ordering process for Heljan spares over complicated.

So this is a warning to those who may be about to do the same if they see something on their second hand lists. My advice would be to get on the chat function and ask them to get out the model (if it can't be seen properly in the listing) and look at it for you. You can make a decison or may be able to haggle down the price!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, pwr said:

Thought I would have a look at my latest Hattons second hand purchase.

Esso-1.jpg.8341b9bbc970c67193ef377738fcd86b.jpg

Looks alright in this shot but I am afraid I have bought a pig in a poke.

I think at some point the original purchaser (who paid £69.50 for two in a single transaction - I know this as the receipt was still in hte box) has dropped this on the floor and has tried to mend it - badly.

Esso-2.jpg.d35499de94917281cd10aa9d7251a709.jpg

As you can see one of the brake assemblies is badly bent, all the buffers have been glued in - there is a blob of what looks like UHU in the photo and both ladders are broken and re-glued albeit one has a piece broken off.

Esso-3.jpg.a8d00c5394f09c5e290ff72023189122.jpg

Esso-4.jpg.8615569a04f5bc84c4b3a929027227f6.jpg

I wouldn't mind but there was no mention of this when it was advertised - just said 'good box'. I doubt Hattons even took it out of the box when they got it. Oh and both vac pipes are broken. I got it because they are so rare and I only have one existing one and the price ws much less than the new batch from Heljan.  £68 for a broken model is a bit steep if you ask me but I guess there is no point in complaining.

In have some brass ladder somewhere I can hopefully fix this with and I can remove and re-glue the buffers. I doubt they can be repaired but I will look. I think I may be able to bend the brake assembly back. Might check Gaugemaster for spares but its doubtful and I find their search and ordering process for Heljan spares over complicated.

So this is a warning to those who may be about to do the same if they see something on their second hand lists. My advice would be to get on the chat function and ask them to get out the model (if it can't be seen properly in the listing) and look at it for you. You can make a decison or may be able to haggle down the price!

Paul R

A shame about the damage.  I check Hatton's pre owned listings from time to time but my impression is that, for the most part, things are overpriced - not that much less than retail.  Occasionally you do get lucky.

Still, you have shown yourself to be a master builder so I expect you'll get this sorted.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, pwr said:

I guess there is no point in complaining.

So this is a warning to those who may be about to do the same if they see something on their second hand lists. My advice would be to get on the chat function and ask them to get out the model (if it can't be seen properly in the listing) and look at it for you. You can make a decison or may be able to haggle down the price

I'm not sure i agree there's no point - if you pointed out the state it arrived in you'd probably get your money back if you wanted.

I bought a Dapol mineral wagon off Rails where somehow the wheels could slide along the axle. They immediately offered me a full refund or discount for spares. As it happens i already had a spare Dapol set but that's not the point so I got them to refund me £8 for a replacement set I found online somewhere.

A while later I saw another one advertised which looked like it had exactly the same problem (bit worried this is a recurring Dapol flaw now!). When I asked them to check they tried to claim it was just an optical illusion which was clearly rubbish, so I didn't buy that one. I am very careful to check things now given both were described as perfect so it appears they are a bit loose with their checking. At least they were prepared to resolve when pulled up on it. 

Obviously different shop but I suspect they are similar in operation.

Edited by Hal Nail

I've fallen foul of similar issues on a few secondhand ebay purchases. Often they are not very obvious on a photo of the whole vehicle but surprisingly difficult to fix properly.

When you go back and look at the description it's very hard to prove that they're not as described.

Anyway, you win some you lose some, and the bits box either gets emptied or filled depending on which way you decide to go.

18 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I've fallen foul of similar issues on a few secondhand ebay purchases. Often they are not very obvious on a photo of the whole vehicle but surprisingly difficult to fix properly.

When you go back and look at the description it's very hard to prove that they're not as described.

Anyway, you win some you lose some, and the bits box either gets emptied or filled depending on which way you decide to go.

I did buy some lovely wagons from a friend on Twitter. A Peco 16T mineral and a Slaters standard BR Van. Both very well built and arrived in excellent condition. The only thing I am going to do is repalce the three link couplings on the van with some Dapol Instanters - that is if I can get any. Out of stock everywhere you look even on DCC supplies the official spares stockist.

Paul R