1 hour ago, pwr said:

I did buy some lovely wagons from a friend on Twitter. A Peco 16T mineral and a Slaters standard BR Van. Both very well built and arrived in excellent condition. The only thing I am going to do is repalce the three link couplings on the van with some Dapol Instanters - that is if I can get any. Out of stock everywhere you look even on DCC supplies the official spares stockist.

Paul R

I am always suspicious of kits built by others.  Blowing my own horn here, but I doubt that most people can build a kit that satisfies my standards.  Case in point is the 3 link couplings on a BR van - that would not happen.  If you have built Parkside kits, there is often a plastic instanter link included.  Slaters accessories are very good, such as couplings and, in particular, vac pipes.

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Slaters-Plastikard-M7025-Pair-of-Instanter-Couplings-O-Gauge_N1964746

John

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Funnily enough I have a packet on order from Osbournes but they have none in stock and are waiting on supplies from Dapol as are Hattons who are in the same boat.  Osbournes however are advertising as if they are available and have taken my money!

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, brossard said:

I am always suspicious of kits built by others.  Blowing my own horn here, but I doubt that most people can build a kit that satisfies my standards.  Case in point is the 3 link couplings on a BR van - that would not happen.  If you have built Parkside kits, there is often a plastic instanter link included.  Slaters accessories are very good, such as couplings and, in particular, vac pipes.

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Slaters-Plastikard-M7025-Pair-of-Instanter-Couplings-O-Gauge_N1964746

John

The parkside couplings are a good shape but I am not convinced by the fact they are plastic whcih is why I prefer the Dapol!!!

Paul R

1 hour ago, pwr said:

The parkside couplings are a good shape but I am not convinced by the fact they are plastic whcih is why I prefer the Dapol!!!

Paul R

My preference is Slaters for instanter, metal always trumps plastic.

As for Dapol screw link, I think they are good value.  I have to agree that they do tend to fall apart but only when treated harshly in my experience.  The good news is that they go back together again without drama.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/01/2022 at 19:47, Mol_PMB said:

How do you find the Dapol screw couplings? While they look good and are cost-effective I find they tend to separate into their component parts at the slightest excuse.

Mol

Yes you are correct - I have one in a bag that I was going to use on the BAA wagon but found one of the links is broken. Heljan are better from a RTR perspective if you can get them.

Paul R

On 14/01/2022 at 23:55, Hal Nail said:

Etched instanter links might be a way to replace the plastic parkside type.  Some here for example:

http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=AMBISCCM1

They need sweating together as they come in two halves but for those who make kits that would be a doddle.

Thats handy to know - they would be an ideal repalcement for the Parkside plastic links.  I'll order some up.

Incidentally I have found a supply of  Dapol Instanters. Upstairs Downstairs on the Isle of Wight

https://www.trainshop.co.uk/spares-transfers/20902-instanter-couplings-hooks-5pr-5016927033095.html

I e-mailed first and a helpful gentleman told me they had three packs in stock. I ordered one so they should still have some left if anyone is interested.

Paul R

• Like 2

Progress on the BAA

BAA-14.jpg.ed95b5b93c2f0909deb678f6fdf08ad4.jpg

The red on the ends is from a Halfords Rattle can - Ford Carnival Red.

The red on the bolsters is a Railmatch pot - Railfreighht red. Pretty good match I would say.

I have a couple more transfers to replace before I varnish it then get round to weathering. I think the airbrsh is coming out for this.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 8

Finally got the Instanter couplings on the Slaters van I got second hand.

Van-1.jpg.93f56e0aed9aa46b9e32c470a4e5df09.jpg

You can't see it that easily but its there!

Here it is on the layout unweathered which is a task I now need to perform on the BAA

Van-2.jpg.ad8f311ca9310c954c9efc2be8e7d124.jpg

I have a few of these to build myself at some point. Should have enough vac braked vans now for what I need

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 6

So I have now finished the BAA apart from weathering which I will do by airbrush when I get some suitable paint.

BAA-20.jpg.9ac1315ace3356a52caa40b1f98bb183.jpg

BAA-22.jpg.fa6b59b9133a3ffe0d30c4b56d99c44c.jpg

BAA-23.jpg.62a2202098bd1cb4a63f32a60c4952b1.jpg

BAA-24.jpg.957440a6683015fd4ea07f7572f45fc7.jpg

BAA-25.jpg.8204b2d86cfda246acffbf17b6b11f24.jpg

BAA-26.jpg.da362c8ee711a4beaa69fa1d9a972863.jpg

BAA-27.jpg.5b2e9019b66409269c82b6f87ac29168.jpg

BAA-28.jpg.9119bfcee4e4440bca9d981acab04804.jpg

The load is my home made attempt at a steel coil from rolled thick card. I am not happy with it so asked my father to turn me some up on his lathe. He is going to use boxwood which is dense and will prime really well. The wagon has a satin finish from the car spray paint and the varnish covering the transfers.

So now I have turned my attention to finishing a parkside 21t hopper which I started about 8 years ago when I was building a number of wagons to finish as a batch through painting. It only needs transfers now, buffers fitted and couplings.  Then heavy weathering.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2020 at 07:51, pwr said:

Well the new IXO Ford Thames arrived. Its a pretty good model as the photos will show.

Ford-1.jpg.d6927c01197cdec3db54aced2dc77dec.jpg

Ford-2.jpg.bfa203b07d5be5c34dc82e083a1c9ce9.jpg

Ford-3.jpg.4335acbc25d660d8892cb1e4ffe0b976.jpg

Just picked up one of these for much less than usual. Will be a fun side project to do up as a flat bed.

Was maroon actually correct? Logically before 1956 this didn't even exist so presumably would have been crimson. I find it slightly hard to believe they bothered to repaint lorries but even for new deliveries, did they then bring in maroon but retain the cream unlike coaching stock?

Plenty of models and preserved vehicles in maroon and cream but I cant actually find a period photo of one.

It looks convincing and doesn't bother me, just curious.

On 05/02/2022 at 05:20, Hal Nail said:

Just picked up one of these for much less than usual. Will be a fun side project to do up as a flat bed.

Was maroon actually correct? Logically before 1956 this didn't even exist so presumably would have been crimson. I find it slightly hard to believe they bothered to repaint lorries but even for new deliveries, did they then bring in maroon but retain the cream unlike coaching stock?

Plenty of models and preserved vehicles in maroon and cream but I cant actually find a period photo of one.

It looks convincing and doesn't bother me, just curious.

To be honest I have no idea. I think there is a ook out there somewhere about British Railways Road vehicles which. may help but the likllihood is that unless they were new they would have been in the company livery that they had through the war. There may be others that know this.

The only thing that grates my eye on the Thames is that the lettering is incorrect to my eye - wrong font and in bold!

I may need to correcet that!.

I am just finisihing off a 21T coal wagon I started about 8 years ago before I weather the BAA now that the new paint has arrived. I got some of that Vallejo airbrush acrylic to try out.

My next road vehicle acquistion is hopefully a Scania 141 and container trailer.

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, pwr said:

I may need to correct that!.

Do you happen to know of BR totem transfers? The biggest problem with modifying vehicles is that you lose all the printed labels etc. Although someone did tell me about a Bedford badge the other day which would be handy for the TK (if only I could remember where I read it!)

ps a long debate elsewhere seems to have concluded vehicles were always crimson rather than maroon.  

Edited by Hal Nail

On 06/02/2022 at 08:25, Hal Nail said:

Do you happen to know of BR totem transfers? The biggest problem with modifying vehicles is that you lose all the printed labels etc. Although someone did tell me about a Bedford badge the other day which would be handy for the TK (if only I could remember where I read it!)

ps a long debate elsewhere seems to have concluded vehicles were always crimson rather than maroon.  

No sorry - the only supplier I know of remotely near is Railtech but his transfers for road vehicles are too modern.

I think your only option is to buy some decal transfer paper from a craft shop or Amazon and print your own. Never tried it personally but there are those that seem to make it work. I think you have to varnish the sheet before you soak it in water to fix the ink to the transfer carrier. Otherwise I think the ink wil run.

Paul R

• Like 1

So I finished off this 21 T coal wagon I must have started 8 or more years ago and put aside for painting. I have given it a heavy weathering using Humbrol washes and Humbrol weathing powder (burnt umber).

Interestingly the powder behgaves very oddly if you coat it on to a matt enamal varnish and then varnish over with acrylic. Its a good finish but as I had only put the enamal on the panels with the data it looked odd with the rest of the wagon so I had to recoat it./ I'll remmeber that next time I want a lighter weatahering.

Also the Humbrol powders have much denser coating properties than Carrs or the Revel versions.  As weith most things it just takles practice.

Coal-1.jpg.59ed892e81c1f40dad6d450162fbcbe7.jpg

Coal-2.jpg.20ffdab2350832727f617bfd5e4ad548.jpg

Coal-3.jpg.dd8202db7b1d622786a50cf36d5b432d.jpg

Coal-4.jpg.13677423b916a13ce7656d43878b4a89.jpg

I now have only a 21 T Coal hopper to finish and the Gresley Ian Kirk 52ft Compartment third and the BR Mark 1 SK to finish off. Don't mention the Freightliner flats however! These are stalled for now!

I am stll keen to get on with the Connoisseur J68 as I need to increase my stock of relevant GER and LNER motive power. Either than or the N7

All for now

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I like that - subtle tones. I've only recently started playing with powders - with paints you know exactly what tone you will get whereas even a black powder can have all sorts of weird tints so its a bit trial and error. But I have read frequently that varnishing spoils the effect - I've never tried so don't know!

16 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I like that - subtle tones. I've only recently started playing with powders - with paints you know exactly what tone you will get whereas even a black powder can have all sorts of weird tints so its a bit trial and error. But I have read frequently that varnishing spoils the effect - I've never tried so don't know!

I certainly think that applying powders to an enamal varnish and then covering it with acrylic varnish does strange things to them. I wonder wjhat the effe3ct would have been had I used a top coat of enamal varnish. I also used some wash on this although I am not a great fan of them myself.

Paul R

So I have got this out of the stash of unfinished kits. I am glad to say the pile has reduced nicely from a few months ago.

Its an Ian Kirk Gresley compartment third on a GE section shorty 52ft underframe. The theory was that it would run with the Thompson Suburban brake I have already completed giving me a sort of typical branch train on a GE section BR layout. I've not actually seen this combination in photos but it will do whilst I build the Thompson Suburban composite. I can also run with my Hattons Gresley BCK. Initially I had intended to fit Kadee couplings to directly couple to it but I would not be able to use it with the Thompson brake third so I think I will fit screwlink for now and once I get more built I can substitute Kadees.

Gresley-1.jpg.e9b99c470698eb21109a09d46b701cc4.jpg

I am currentluy fitting seating to the compartments before going back to the underframe.

Gresley-2.jpg.a67d7bb08f05e7a53d313330c00f5f1b.jpg

This is going to have real glass windows cut from micrroscope slides as the mouldings are such that there is an inset to be able to do this. I am sure they are made for clear plastiglaze but glass looks so much better.

I'll keep posting pictures as I progress.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I think my post was confusing.

What I was saying is that many people have commented they don't varnish over weathering powders as this affects the appearance/texture and I think tones them down and mutes the impact.

I've never tried so cant comment either way.

16 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I think my post was confusing.

What I was saying is that many people have commented they don't varnish over weathering powders as this affects the appearance/texture and I think tones them down and mutes the impact.

I've never tried so cant comment either way.

Thatb makes sense!  Although the 21T was done this way and varnished over. I've personally never had an issue

Paul R

Went to see my Dad yesterrday and collected his turned still steel loads.

These are turned from boxwood which is an extremely close grained wood so will take paint very well.

I'll prime them up and then use a metallic paint to cover in stell colour.

Load-1.jpg.86797e1110859a98d647e4692278fb55.jpg

Load-2.jpg.624bb1b11566569db0d66fe4f93bc4cc.jpg

Once I have these complete I will get on with weathering the wagon whcih is far too clean

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to report on the modelling front but very slow progress is being made on the Gresley TK. I am held up waiting for bits but I did have a delivery yesterday. If you need split pins get them from RS Spares rather than established model railway suppliers - they are so much cheaper.

Also for those that frequent Aldi from time to time, this weeks centre ailse offerings are a suction vice or a clamped version both for £8.99.

Vice.jpg.e402f9d0084529bd55ec88f837e2eb4f.jpg

I got this one - bargain if you ask me. I already have a clamped verion on the other workbench and this is easily removable for more space.

All for now - happy shopping!!!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
load photos
  • Like 1