Just came across this photo of White Notley SB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beechwoodphotography/4477039597/

What a great picture.

I wonder what the machine is on the table - probably something to do with ticket issuing.

The photo does show the planked interior on the walls. Although I am going to have full interior details in mine I am not sure that I will include this feature. Planking the outsides was bad enough. As it stands both my boxes have cavity walls due to the method of construction!

Thanks to some helpful responses on the GER Society e-group I have discovered that the GER signal boxes were fitted with Countess 20" x 10" slates. So I have drawn up a template in Quark and printed a set on card. Not sure if I am going to fit them individually or in strips.

I have to say these boxes are taking much longer than I originally thought. I am now well on with the glazing with the Cressing box and will post some photos this weekend

Thanks again for the photo

Paul

I am still on Quark 8! I only used it because I dont have Illustrator on my Mac. It's on a lap top but I couldn't be bothered to get it out. Unlike Quark Adobe make their programmes OS specific so I can't load my Windows copy of CS on to my Mac and they won't give you a side grade. You have to upgrade to the latest version.

Paul

Well here are the promised window updates. I have only managed to some of the windows on the Cressing box presently but you can see that the model is now looking much more like the prototype.

post-3038-0-42103200-1391853030_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-44564400-1391853031_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-41626900-1391853032_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have also finished the steps.

The windows are made from microscope slips which I have cut using a Tungsten Carbide scriber and snapping them over a steel rule. Hit rate is better than I had been led to believe. Thanks to all those who offered advice to a post elsewhere concerning this process. They are glued in using an interference fit supported by superglue and plastic adhesive. The window bars are cut from Evergreen strip and superglued to the glass. I used a small tip applicator but even that gave out too much glue so I then went to a piece of metal rod. The glue finds its way under the bars by capiliary action. Any surplus glue is removed using a scalpel or fine chisel. because its glass it comes off easily without scratching.

I have a set of diamond encrusted needle files which means I can actually file the glass when it is slightly oversize or breaks awkwardly. These were not expensive - £7.95 from one of the tool sellers at a show. The window frames cover any small gaps or rough bits on the edge. 

I have also made the nameplate for the box and was going to temporarily fix it for the photo but I cant find the blue tac! Maybe next time. No progress has been made yet with the White Notley box glazing. Cutting and fixing all these window bars takes a bit more time than I had envisaged.

Paul R

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of progress reported on the layout. I got a new job which takes me away from home a lot so no progress in 4 weeks.

The good news is that my good lady has sanctioned the purchase of an EasyBuild Class 129 parcels unit as research unit HYDRA. Nothing to do with the Braintree branch bit I have a soft spot for Research Dept vehicles. This will be my birthday present and will be the subject of an immediate start as soon as the signal boxes are done. The station building will I am afraid have to wait a bit longer.

I will keep you all posted

Paul R

• Like 3

Look forward to seeing HYDRA progress Paul.

Cheers, Bob.

Bob

Well the good news is that it's arrived. The bad news is I have to wait until May 10 to get my hands on it. Still I now have a bit of time to crack on with the signal boxes.

Paul R

• Like 1

Bob

Well the good news is that it's arrived. The bad news is I have to wait until May 10 to get my hands on it. Still I now have a bit of time to crack on with the signal boxes.

Paul R

Looks as though I will have to wait for Hydra then Paul, but we have your updates on the Signal boxes to look forward to - Top modelling.

Cheers, Bob.

I am hoping to resume tonight once all the household chores are out of the way. Wife and daughter will be watching Pants and Dec Saturday night load of c**p which I can't stand

Paul R

Well I am pleased to report some progress.

The wiondows in the 'Notley' box are finsihed and I am now cleaning off the superglue that did not run under the frame elements with a sharp scalpel.It comes off the glass very easily.

So a start now on the roofs. I stated in an earlier post that I had made some slates up into a template using Quark and these were duly printed on to thin card. I then had to debate whether to lay these in strips or cut them individually. Laid in strips they would still have to have lines cut into them to separte the slates so I decided to go the whole way and lay them individually - something I would not contemplate in 4mm but with the larger scale and realteively small roof space I think this will be fine.

The photo shows the start of the first layer. The card is being fixed to the plastic by Evo-Stick seriously strong glue. Unlike impact glue I dont this this mlets the plastic unless anybody knows any diffferent.

post-3038-0-19196100-1396192998_thumb.jpg

At least I can get these done in a few spare 5 minutes - he says tongue in cheek!

Right then I will carry on

Paul R

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob

Very slow progress to report on the roofs to the two boxes. Been away on business in Dallas so opportunities have been limited but I do hope to be in the workshop on Monday.

Thanks for your interest and the prompt

Paul

Edited by pwr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates - work is very hectic and modelling time limited. However work has progressed on the roofs and here is the latest photo

post-3038-0-00321900-1398970485_thumb.jpg

This was taken on my new camera and has been one of the first pictures.

I am getting some feelings that card may have been the wrong type of material for the slates as I think each layer may stand out too proud.I will get some paint on to sample but the test is that a wadge of 43 bits of thin card would be much thicker than 43 bits of thicker say 120gsm paper. Real slates are very thin and I dont wan't  the finished article to look toy like. Having said that I am not minded to peel it all off and starting again.

Any views

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 3

I know what you mean regarding the slates Paul, I did a Goods Shed a few years back by the same process as you, and I must admit it did look a bit proud, but seemed ok when the paint went on, but never did look quite right (To me anyway).

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Paul,

I found this useful - http://www.matthewcharlton.com/department/roofing_with_slate/ - so, I reckon your gaps are too wide, and there should be no half slates at verges, if to the more modern? standard shown in that link. However, I expect if you looked you could find images of a roof with half slates at the verges and wider gaps, but an older roof would possibly have a few slipped or broken slates, or ones replaced, held in place by a metal strip, instead of nails.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Paul,

I found this useful - http://www.matthewcharlton.com/department/roofing_with_slate/ - so, I reckon your gaps are too wide, and there should be no half slates at verges, if to the more modern? standard shown in that link. However, I expect if you looked you could find images of a roof with half slates at the verges and wider gaps, but an older roof would possibly have a few slipped or broken slates, or ones replaced, held in place by a metal strip, instead of nails.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray

Thanks for the link. I am ok with the gaps but I am now annoyed by the half slates! Fortunately the station box is only one row up so will be easy to put right. The others will have to come off!

Paul

The good news is that I have managed to remove only the slates that need replacing. I have now made a start on the replacements. Hopefully a photo in the next few days. I would rather have this right than knaw away in the future.

The gaps are probably a light optical illusion because they look bigger than they are because of the black lines that I cut along.

Paul R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now finished the slates on the White Notley box. Have been modified to the detail in Ray's post.

post-3038-0-21030600-1400008020_thumb.jpg

Since I did this I came across a picture of Oulton Broad South and guess what - it has half slates!  I have looked around for other older buildings and they all seem to vary and even very old buildings appear to have either style so its staying!

I knew I was a glutton for punishment. So now on with the Cressing box.

Now having had my birthday I have the EasyBuild Class 129 four Hydra so I am keen to move these boxes on so I can make a start

Paul R

• Like 3

Signal Box looks good Paul - Look forward to your Hydra project.

Cheers, Bob.

I might start a new topic under the 7mm modelling section for the Hydra project.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well time for an update but really not a lot of progress caused by a lack of modelling time due to work and being away at Big Church Day Out last weekend.

However the signal box roofs make slow but painful progress. So in the absence of anything else I thought it was about time I fort the Hymek out of the box and posed it for a photo with the new camera.  Here are the results-

post-3038-0-53223100-1401630713_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-48709800-1401630714_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-11188300-1401630715_thumb.jpg

The board on which it stands is not actually set up at present but sitting on the conservatory table so I can get at it from all angles.

Need to get into this and choose some head code numbers. The loco was bought second hand so some of the pipes are missing and I shall have to replace them. The coupling hook lacks the screw links but I have no idea if these were ever there or was this how the loco was supplied. Anyone else out there that follows this thread able to advise.

There seems to have been a lot of Western locos over the Braintree branch of late - perhaps the establishment of a new factory at Rayne has had something to do with it?

Well I have also got my order in for Falcon - going for a green version with small yellow panels - the prototype did haul some trains on the Norwich line but not in this livery. I am really stretching my modellers licence here. Does anyone know if the rumour that a Brighton Atlantic worked an excursion over the line in 1958 is true - no I though not! I really must get back to building stuff that was actually used on the line. Now where was that J15 kit?

Paul R

• Like 3

Great pics Paul, and superb modelling - The Heljan Loco's that I have had new 33/37/55 etc have always had the screw couplings fitted, not sure about the Hymek though.

Cheers, Bob.