Great pics Paul, and superb modelling - The Heljan Loco's that I have had new 33/37/55 etc have always had the screw couplings fitted, not sure about the Hymek though.

Cheers, Bob.

Bob  

It has a screw coupling hook but no hoops - just the hook!  The 37 I bought had it as part of the accessory pack so I had to take it apart to fit- can't remember what the 47 was like - in its box somewhere! The others I have  - Western, Deltic and 31s all have it fitted.  I think I may have to take it apart to fit the head code numbers so I might order up a set of spares from Howes and replace. I did look to see if they and any spares for the pipe work but seems to be all sold. However some of the other sprues for the rest of the locos in the range might well be suitable. I did get a set for the 37 as I broke a few getting it out of the packaging. That particular model came in a plastic sleeve which was not ideal!

The other thing I notices is that this model has numbers! I thought Heljan only supplied unnumbered versions

Paul R

Edited by pwr

Paul

Sorry, I stand corrected, just checked my 37 (New in Box) and the screw couplings are loose in a pack - it was the 33/31/55 that had them fitted -  never had a new Hymek or 47 so can't comment on them, but I did think that the Hymek was numbered when issued ?.

Hope that you can find some spares, but should not be a problem fitting bought screw couplings and finding pipes etc.

Cheers, Bob.

Guest 838rapid

I have previously bought the same model as your good self.Mine came complete with fitted couplings and also prenumbered as was standard for the Hymek.

I have previously bought the same model as your good self.Mine came complete with fitted couplings and also prenumbered as was standard for the Hymek.

Did it have the links fitted.

Paul R

Guest 838rapid

They were complete coupling hooks with couplings attached.

Already attached to the locomotive.

Nice layout by the way,an inspiration to me and no doubt many others.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of posts here but time flies and I have not really achieved a great deal part from nearly getting all the slates on the two roofs.

I haste still been worried about the thickness of the slates so I thought I would paint watercolour over the slates to see how they looked, the thought being that the printed borders to the slates were causing the roof to look wrong. Well this is what it looks like with a first coat. Its water colour so it hasn't adhered to where the glue has spread into the wrong places but overall I think this is going to be OK albeit I would still use thick paper next time rather than thin card.  Once I get the ridge tiles on and the roof properly painted I think these will come good.

post-3038-0-38032900-1405281067_thumb.jpg

Not much else to report apart from the fact I have been away and got no modelling done. I got a Parkside Southern Cattle Truck for Fathers Day which was good. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not much to report on the modelling front. Not had any time over the last three months. However now made a start on the signal box doors which will be a laminate construction with glass as the middle layer to provide windows. Question however. What sort of door handles were used on signal boxes? We're they the round sort?

Paul R

• 2 months later...

Well seems a long time since I was able to spend any serious time in the modelling room but I am pleased to report that work on the signal boxes has restarted and I am painting the signal box floors in brown linoleum.

Most work has been concentrated on making the interiors which is very time consuming. Work proceeds apace on the lever frames. I have a photo of the inside of Cressing box so I have some accurate information to go on. The Springside interior kit is not entirely the same but I will live with that. I think its based on a GWR box and some modification of the bits may be possible. The lever frame looks the same though.

Anyway following an excellent haul from Santa some shots of the new 40 on the daily van train. As regular followers will know in my version of history the weight restrictions on the branch were lifted in 1948 and the line between Braintree and Bishops Stortford never closed. In reality I don't think Class 40's were allowed on the branch - nothing heavier than a 37 in diesel days. Also by the time Class 40's were in blue that had moved away from the GEML so I will have to come up with another excuse. 

I need to compare this to my green model built from an ex David Parkins kit and will post some photos of them alongside each other at some point in the future.

post-3038-0-20334500-1419693875_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-89731900-1419693875_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-21947800-1419693877_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-10837100-1419693878_thumb.jpg

I am also seriously thinking of adding an extra board to this layout at the level crossing end. This would simply be a single track between the present end of the layout and the fiddle yard. This would serve two purposes. One to allow me to put more buildings on the front of the layout and give a longer run in from the fiddle yard but more importantly because the boards are to be piggybacked for transport, an odd number of boards clearly does not work!. A single track needs little in the way of wiring.

So hopefully from now on more frequent posted will return

Paul R

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Read with great interest some of this long thread. Studied Bishop's Stortford - Dunmow - Braintree - Witham - Maldon for many years. Lived in Black Notley, Braintree and Dunmow.

I believe you found some of my older pictures of Cressing before electrification. There are pictures of 4mm models of Cressing Station Building and Signal boxes too. I also have modeled Dunmow box but did not complete the layout. I have a large library on the subject and am modeling my version in 4mm called Great Bulford which will incorporate many features, halts and Cressing from the branch in a compressed fictional arrangement.

A few sketches and measurements of Cressing gates. Search for desired location within the photostream.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Cressing&sort=relevance&user_id=26359504%40N08

Reason I came across the thread was that I am looking for information on Easton's Geest Banana "Factory" building. If anyone wants to know more about the branch or can help me with pictures of the Banana "Factory please contact me. Many Thanks. Steven Duhig stevenduhig@juno.com

Steven

Thanks for your post. Yes those photos have been most helpful.

I don't have any information on the banana factory or traffic but would be interested to know if any of it went out via Braintree.

Do you have any more information on the Roadrailer tests other than the stuff published in BRM/MRJ and the photos published elsewhere.

I would like to make a model of this interesting prototype.

In terms of where I am at the moment, I am still working on the Signal Box interiors. Modeling time is very limited presently but I will get there.

thanks

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

I have long been trying to find out what these Interfrigo's were used for on the Braintree Line. I have a book called Essex and Suffolk Branch Line Steam (probably long out of print) and it has two views of a 2 coach train at Braintree facing Witham with one of these vans behind the loco. One hauled by a J15 and one by an F6. Enquiries of the GER Society have revealed nothing so any help appreciated.

Paul R

How very, very, interesting... I had not realised that this rolling stock appeared on the branch. A quick search suggests to me that they may have been used for food cold storage by Norish Ltd in Manor Road Braintree? They still exist so perhaps they could verify? The only freight traffic in Braintree that I knew of 1975-80 were the UKF Fertilizer trains in the goods yard. 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Braintree%20goods%20yard&sort=relevance&user_id=26359504%40N08

Steven.

BTW Is anyone interested in knowing of the traffic movements, loco and even carriage numbers for Braintree shed in 1955/56?

I have a Ron Smith's Diary and have been trying to get GERS to publish it for years...

He has passed his accompanying photos on to a commercial distributer now.

Steven Duhig.

How very, very, interesting... I had not realised that this rolling stock appeared on the branch. A quick search suggests to me that they may have been used for food cold storage by Norish Ltd in Manor Road Braintree? They still exist so perhaps they could verify? The only freight traffic in Braintree that I knew of 1975-80 were the UKF Fertilizer trains in the goods yard. 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Braintree%20goods%20yard&sort=relevance&user_id=26359504%40N08

Steven.

That might explain the presence of Interfridgio wagons in some of the branch trains even in steam days

Paul R

Steven

I don't have any information on the banana factory or traffic but would be interested to know if any of it went out via Braintree.

Do you have any more information on the Roadrailer tests other than the stuff published in BRM/MRJ and the photos published elsewhere.

In terms of where I am at the moment, I am still working on the Signal Box interiors. Modeling time is very limited presently but I will get there.

thanks

Paul R

I don't have an interior of Cressing (the only 1865 box with a brick plinth that I know of...)

but vaguely recall that White Notley was quite/more original even though it had long ago lost it's frame. See

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=26359504@N08&q=white%20notley

You will find pictures of my scratch built model of Cressing and Dunmow boxes together with Cressing Station Building in my Flickr photostream Paul. Let me know if anyone wants  drawings..

Just heard that my J15 is likely to arrive tomorrow. 4,000 miles in two days.... I do hope it is good, intact and not a disappointment! 

Steven

thanks

Paul R

Sounds like you have most of the roadrailer info already? I do have some and will look into it. Have a small collection of the Scalecraft/PECO kits too..https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=roadrailer&sort=relevance&user_id=26359504%40N08 see other RMWeb thread http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12053

Edited by SDuhig

• 2 months later...

Progress or Lack of at Notley

Well the last few months have been a bit of a whirlwind at work with limited modelling time caused by periods away and needing to complete work projects.

However I have done a few limited things but the big news is the arrival of some tanks on the Braintree branch as a result of a birthday haul which consisted of a Dapol 6 wheel milk tanker - Express Dairies and a Heljan Esso 4w Tank. I was in two minds about the dipole as its not really representative of anything much but it looks good and life is short! here is picture of the two new vehicles

post-3038-0-87339100-1431277454_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-95225600-1431277453_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-90348800-1431277456_thumb.jpg

I also posed the Dapol tank with a very nearly finished Slaters model

post-3038-0-41604800-1431277431_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-95225600-1431277453_thumb.jpg

The Slaters is finished apart from weathering hence I am not too worried about the poor way the paint has gone on the tank. It will look OK when done.

In other news I have acquired some Peco gas lamps and have started knocking these up as an alternative to the Heljan OO versions I was going to modify and use. These are just the job despite the fact they are of Midland origin. Painted green with Black Notley totems and they will look the part.

Signal box work continues slowly. I have started painting some of the interior furniture and started to install the exterior hand rails. The I can hopefully paint and finish them. So close now!

Lastly I was given a copy of the LNER Wagons part 4B for a birthday present so on top of the day out at the Bluebell Southern at War event today, its been a great birthday!

All for now

Paul R

post-3038-0-92901100-1431277455_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello Paul, I have just started to follow this thread after a nice read through it this morning, could you please  tell me what make the Derby lightweight is ? is it a Westdale kit ?

Best regards

Craig.

Hello Paul, I have just started to follow this thread after a nice read through it this morning, could you please  tell me what make the Derby lightweight is ? is it a Westdale kit ?

Best regards

Craig.

Yes it's a Westdale although I didn't build it. That said I have a twin unit waiting to be built also. Runs nicely too!

Sorry about the lack of posts. Very little free time although progress is being made on the signal box interiors. The frames are done and painted and glued in.

I'll try and post another photo at the weekend.

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply, I am trying to get a hold of the Derby Lightweight single car kit ..... but it is like the proverbial hens teeth ... do you know of any kits someone wants to sell ?

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply, I am trying to get a hold of the Derby Lightweight single car kit ..... but it is like the proverbial hens teeth ... do you know of any kits someone wants to sell ?

Best regards

Craig.

Craig

I am afraid not. I don't know the current status of Westdale - he has not advertised in the later issue of the Gauge O Guild Gazette so I can only assume he is still taking a break. You could try the wanted section of the guld newsletter or on the web site. You never know somebody may be persuaded to part with one!

I hear Sean at Easybuild is doing a 101

Paul R

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

About time there was an update here. I have not had much time but I have not been idle either!

Progress has been made on the interior of the signal box which is a bit on the fiddly side.

As you can see the inside walls are now in a finished state. I decided not to paid these but to borrow a tip from those web based companies out there who are designing downloadable kits. So I made my own interior walls (the model inside has flat ones) in a well known Desktop Publishing Programme that begins with Q. I then printed them on satin photo paper, cut out what I needed and stuck them in. They are not 100% accurate and of course have no relief but I figures that when the roof is done you won't see them in that much detail in any event.

post-3038-0-29642700-1436811812_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-78238700-1436811812_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-29053900-1436811813_thumb.jpg

You can see the lever frame and the various cabinets that are installed. Still have much to do and the block instrument shelf is now under construction. I am modifying the Springtide flat shelf as the real one in Cressing box was quite deep. Fortunately there are pictures of the inside so I can get somewhere near the real thing although as I have said this is to meant to be a slavish copy of the real box(es) since of course I am doing White Notley too which I am assuming was similar. I don't have any photos of that so if anyone has anything please let me know.

The Springside interior kit is based on the block shelf being suspended from the ceiling but in the case of Cressing it rested on brackets from the box uprights so that is what mine will be. The last photo shows the plastikard brackets I have made up to support this - 3 per box.

post-3038-0-65322000-1436811811_thumb.jpg

So we press on albeit ever so slowly!

Paul R

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I am away on holiday at present and decided to take an Easy Build MK1 SK to build. Lots of bits but no reference to door handles in the kit apart from fitting them after the build. They are not included and not listed in parts. Anyone know if this is typical of this manufacturers?

Paul R