Well I had a good haul for my birthday.

Hymek-1.jpg.1e69f78037cd07473a232df5f114089f.jpg

This is one of the re-issue models. Those of you who have been following this thread for some time will know that I already have a blue version of the original model with small yellow panels (and replaced gears!)

Hymek-2.jpg.876d96f57b69ba3b9639bb0faf2161a8.jpg

Hymek-3.jpg.9f3f7c04dc7e25034e68fd87ffc88073.jpg

Hymek-4.jpg.ff2e789913ff781adca1dad40afe1c15.jpg

The above shot shows the Hymek on the Avonmouth bananas on this occasion this is the empties going out via Witham rather than Bishops Stortford, One of the Stratford drivers used to work at Old Oak and signs for this class so they left the engine on at Temple Mills rather than swap to a 31!. Well that's my story anyhow.

I got three more of these wagons for my birthday. As will be seen from earlier posts I am in the middle of constructing the Parkside kit for the SR wagon and I found that I had a Freightman (Frank Titcombe) kit for an LMS Steam Banana that I didn't know I had!

Hymek-5.jpg.0d18111ac99439979d824e072c5f658b.jpg

Hymek-6.jpg.20d3532e835a17518207a30a7a994a3e.jpg

Hymek-7.jpg.f6f5d7d21c7a885b1173ae7632b4a2fc.jpg

Hymek-8.jpg.f90bcdaf1e6b77fdbc7395f165a4e771.jpg

Hymek-9.jpg.1841052f00d8ae1b718322ed77cebb29.jpg

I have posted this also as a comment on The Ramchester Chronicles but does anyone know what Dapol have reverted to three link couplings on these vans having used Instanters on other vans in its range?

I did some work on the fiddle yard boards and cassettes this weekend and will post photos tomorrow

Paul R

• Like 8

A day later than promised I thought I would update on the new wireless cassette operation in the fiddle yards.

If you have been following you will know that power for the fiddle yard boards is taken via the toggle catches that join the boards. These photos show how I have taken the power to the cassettes without any need for connecting wires. Previous photos show I originally planned to use copper tape to do this but having thought about it and noted that the cassettes did not make a satisfactory connection unless weighted down I have gone for a different option using aluminium bar set into the fiddle yard.

This first picture shows the cut bar.

Fiddle-1.jpg.b15027bee9b438f4959e98d39b54f6e9.jpg

The bars are different lengths to get to each side of the cassette. The idea is that this configuration applies to both boards so that cassettes are interchangeable and can be turned thorugh 180 degrees and still be compatible.

This next shot shows the first slot routed out. 

Fiddle-2.jpg.ac8f2df86f358f936aa269613d8dbb17.jpg

This shows the fitted bar

Fiddle-3.jpg.8565ee47bb94825452da81ae4d60878f.jpg

Despite the apparent good fit the quality of the routing is not that good - its a very old Black and Decker cheapy I inherited from my late father in law and I am grateful for it.

This is both the Witham end bars

Fiddle-4.jpg.28ce1d558912c008bbc2cc3eebe38c6a.jpg

This shows the bars being set in by epoxy resin. This is the Braintree end and you can see I got the orientation wrong. Doh!

Fiddle-5.jpg.cd2d464e3eaf56df5c4b66596851a387.jpg

And being filled

Fiddle-6.jpg.2f91355ec7fdb30542140ccff2c2da65.jpg

Fiddle-7.jpg.39ffc410b334ee720a97a609cd264431.jpg

This next shot shows how the  current gets through from below - 2 machine screws. The filler has been sanded down.

Fiddle-10.jpg.335c2638b4c6cd61520d89b58c7e2a4a.jpg

This is the view from below. The two wires are fed to the connecter from the toggle catches.

Fiddle-11.jpg.38ced52df92dc59d7fdd99557abc997c.jpg

And this is the clever bit. The current is take from the bars to the running 'rails' via these machine screws that are slightly proud of the bottom of the cassette. The exact same configuration is at the other end of the cassette.

Fiddle-8.jpg.2d523f2568f9a76f58193c98012098ff.jpg

So the cassette is electrically dead anywhere on the flat surface of the fiddle yard and only becomes live when you put on the bars and drive it out of the yard. 

Here is the proof it works

Fiddle-9.jpg.d84a52a01c9e2e7f3271cb385a064242.jpg

I have adapted all my existing cassettes to this configuration bar one on which the track gauge is too narrow and needs to be modified. I am now busy building more cassettes that are overall longer so I can handle longer trains.  I need to make them in pairs so there is a corresponding empty at the other end of the layout. I had quite a bit of aluminium angle in stock but it doesn't go far when you are making slightly short of 6 ft cassettes. I was horrified when I saw the cost of these in the DIY store the other day. I paid £3.15 for an 8ft strip back in 2000 (which shows how long this has bene gestating!). The cheapest I can get now is about £11!

I need to make some alignment fittings that can be slotted into a hole in the board and which can be removed for transport. 

Anyhow this now means both fiddle yards are capable of operation and I am looking forward to getting the whole layout together again as the weather improves. Got some new motive power and rolling stock to try out!

Paul R

• Like 1

fwiw, the router is most likely fine, but you'd get a better finish in ply with a decent down cutting bit. It may be a bit late for you, if you've done all the slots, but Here is a link to the sort of bits I refer to - https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/2-flute-down-cut-carbide-routers-for-wood-mdf.html

A simple ply/hardboard jig can be made to limit the travel of the router since you'll need to make more passes to get the required width of slot, provided the 6mm shank will fit the B&D collet.

Edited by raymw
added a bit more info

A class 33 has joined the fleet

Class-33.jpg.246f98f95926df318886bad3feb065fd.jpg

I missed this when it was first introduced so was pleased to have the opportunity to get one of the version 2 models.

My only disappointment is that one of the cab door handrails is broken - damaged in transit. I am not going to send it back as I can fix it but I am surprised Heljan has made these from plastic and not metal. Penny pinching here.

In other news we have a day off on Friday so that's another 4 day weekend. I have been promised I can set the full layout up in the garden, weather permitting. I'll be able to try out all this new stock I have acquired in the last 12 months! Stand by for photos and video. It will be interesting to see how the new cassette system works.

I'll also post another photo of the SR banana van as I've now virtually completed the brake gear and there is not much left to do before painting. For a bit more variety I have ordered the Parkside LMS version  and another Dapol so I am at the limit I think the fiddle yard can hold!

Paul R

• Like 5

Ok so here is the latest on the SR banana van. The brakes are nearly done but I will not fit the linkages until after painting or I wont get the wheels out! I'll also put in safety hoops which are not in the kit when I do that.

Banana9.jpg.d99754900868355bedaa43f209787760.jpg

Banana10.jpg.7fb15e73b297bf799f3c8a602e34ce22.jpg

I've just got buffers and lamp irons to do along with handrails and then it will be ready for painting. I'll put some lead between the frames to add a bit of weight. I should have put that inside the body but stupidly forgot before I glued it on! You can't get the staff!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I managed to erect the layout in full this weekend (not without problems I have to say), and have loads of photos and video to post. Here is a taster.

May-1.jpg.9c87e4194b53ec63384c2c25f944f48e.jpg

Watch this space for more

Paul R

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am drip feeding these!

May-2.jpg.8b909aec32aba61406d47ebf019252b0.jpg

The 04 was the first loco I built myself and I always use this to test the layout when it is set up - a sort of tradition. its a Vulcan kit and its got a few bumps and scrapes along the way including falling out of the box at one time and therefore has a slightly less than true cab!. You have to look hard. I would never part with it and its a lovely runner. Its acting as station pilot today and is stabled on the loop extension.

The reason the signal box has a different name (Notley Gates) to the board on the front is that the real Cressing box, which was located at the end of the platform, had this as a running in board. Mine is on the wrong side of the crossing for this but it looks good in my opinion so it stays! 

The other box I built at the same time is based on White Notley and doesn't have this feature but in my world is labelled as Black Notley - confused - I know I am. In reality even though the track plan is freelance the station would never have had two signal boxes.  I built the both of them at the same time. The other box is all timber and does not sit on a brick base.

Paul R

• Like 3

Here is another video from this weekend.

This is the returning vans from Easton Lodge which the class 15 is heading as far as Stratford where she will come off in favour of a Western Region loco. Its has been assumed that track relaying is taking place at Bishops Stortford in preparation for electrification and the connection to the Braintree branch has bene temporarily severed!

These are the new banana vans from Dapol. I have a couple of others but the quality control at Dapol seems to have got very poor. One of them has a missing wheel bearing and derails as soon as you use it. Another has a missing brake handle support - found in the box and the other one has a coupling come out of its mounting. All fixable apart from the bearing which I have e-mailed Dapol for. I don't want to send them back to whence they came because of postal costs. I could replace with another bearing but I don't have spares.

On top of this I found one of the other vans with a missing buffer - also found in the box!

Banana vans look good tough and will be enhanced by the SR and LMS kits I am now building

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 3

I have quite a few Dapol wagons that I've bought over the past couple of years,and apart from a BR guards van,the back to back on the wheelsets has been all over the place.Could n't get them to run through a Peco settrack point.They varied from .5 to 1.5 mm out.Dapol were a little nonplused when I told them.........

atb

Phil

Here is another video from the weekend

First try out for the 33. Disappointingly it arrived with one of the handrails broken although it was still in the box. I got some spares from Gaugemaster but these are unpainted plastic whereas those on the loco are painted. I am going to attempt to glue the old one on but its another issue of quality control we are seeing more of. That's said I think this probably got broken in transit. Lovely loco that said. If Heljan do a 33/1 I'll be on the list!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 2

Quick update on the banana van.

The first image shows the van in grey primer

Banana-Primed.jpg.cba42739c688c7d0118a5f2f70638a17.jpg

and in Bauxite. I used a rattle can for this - Humbrol enamel.

Banana-bauxite.jpg.80d026c8461529265a28a93bc4861946.jpg

Sorry about the deep blue. I placed it on a Heljan box to photo!

And a couple more form the weekend running - the crossing from the station side

May-3.jpg.4a4ac01184f63503b50e7a2a25e9d3fc.jpg

And the trusty 04 after testing

May-4.jpg.47f01e3757e487713c2c9cd2eda623a2.jpg

Running outdoor in hot weather does have some downsides for a layout built indoors. 

The rails heated up to the point that I could not touch them and this in turn affected the isolating sections and point motor operation. Also a number of gremlins have found their way into the system which will need working through!  Still all part of the game.

More follows

Paul R

• Like 2

It's all looking good, Paul.  I had a wry smile at your mention of the heat affecting the isolated sections, closing up the gaps.  Yes, been there, done that, etc!!  I've used small bits of plasticard in the past to overcome this - particularly on the club layout - might be worth thinking about.

Rod

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

It's all looking good, Paul.  I had a wry smile at your mention of the heat affecting the isolated sections, closing up the gaps.  Yes, been there, done that, etc!!  I've used small bits of plasticard in the past to overcome this - particularly on the club layout - might be worth thinking about.

Rod

Rod

What is the plasticard trick?

Jim

15 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Rod

Good idea Rod

I am afraid I took a razor saw to it!

Paul R

15 hours ago, jcarta said:

Rod

Jim

Jim 

I am assuming its the placement of small rail size bits of plasticard to act as an insulation joint - that's what I would do to follow Rod's advice

Paul R

• Thanks 1

Todays update shows the first train of the day from Witham to Braintree.

May-5.jpg.73ace8b9f14dfdd3b338f6c89d1efe31.jpg

May-6.jpg.b0f28ed53a8424981ffbe887ec6206ff.jpg

The train will wait at Braintree for a period before making  a shuttle trip to Dunmow.

This shot exposes my lack of coaching stock. This is the only coach I have that is completed (plus the PMV behind). I have an Ian Kirk Gresley kit half built and an EasyBuild MK1 again half built.

I really need to crack on with these and other kits. Another Thompson suburban would result in a typical Braintree branch train

Paul R

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jcarta said:

6 hours ago, pwr said:

I am assuming its the placement of small rail size bits of plasticard to act as an insulation joint - that's what I would do to follow Rod's advice

Dead right, Paul.  I'd use  pieces no wider than the railhead but long enough to sit on the sleeper (or ballast) underneath the joint, so that it couldn't drop out.  A dab of glue on one side prevented any sideways movement.   Sometimes the corners needed rounding off to fit the rail profile but only if the piece was cut too wide.

HTH.

Rod

• Thanks 1

I was putting the boxes away following the running session last week and decided to compare and contrast the version one and version 2 Hymeks.

Hymek-1.jpg.4138e8576c4dd7c95e95a8227c500cb2.jpg

Hymek-2.jpg.561f5c6346636d696dc9212b6291b0ae.jpg

Hymek-3.jpg.f2af3d95552dfcf6c28a70e47839e872.jpg

To be honest there is not a lot different on the outside.

On the original (blue) you had to fit your own head codes and the printed copies are to my mind slightly unrealistic. I may have to know some up in Photoshop to replace. I think I have the correct font for this. 

The glazing on the new version (green) is the same as the original and does not reflect the current Heljan flush arrangements and the windows are slightly prismatic. This is a case for some of those laser cut replacements I think.

Those of you who have been with this topic from the start will know ne of the original horns went missing so those on the blue are not original and came from JLTRT. Sod's law - I found the original missing one in the box. Heljan's plastic version are much neater.  

The original model did not come with a  screw coupling fitted and in the box I had a card advising me to send it in and Heljan would replace it. I acquired the model second hand. Despite sending it in there was a deafening silence form Heljan. If anyone from the company reads this I still need my coupling!

I didn't take the body off the new version but my goodness it is much lighter. It has LED lights now which the original did not and one of my red lights was broken when I got the loco so I had to fix that.  The fan on the original is very noisy - may need oil and of course it still has some of the original gears which no doubt will split in due course - I have replacements but despite Heljan acknowledging there is a problem  they have never done anything about it for those original purchasers. 

Both models have the metal handrails unlike the 33 I bought recently.

The number on the blue are original and factory applied. The new one comes numberless.  I really ought to get some of those etched numbers to replace. Oh well I'll add this to the growing list of jobs.

All for now

Paul R

Couple more videos for you

In this latter video you can see the train running off the cassette.

One major issue I have is that despite the legs for both fiddle yards being the same height the baseboard surface at the Braintree end is about 1cm too high and the cassettes do not line up.

Although the fix is easy, I am not sure how this height discrepancy came about. More investigation needed I think.

Paul R

• Like 1

And another!

These banana vans had a good run out. In the background you can see the temporary track I had to lay to get the fiddle yard in use as mentioned in the last post!

Paul R

• Like 4