Thanks Jim

Will have a look. The trailer end is easy as the fittings have been moulded on so its just a case of adding some brass rod to couple them to and getting some suitable wires. Single core cable could work wrapped round a small dia. rod.

There is nothing on the cab rear that seems to fulfil that function

Paul R

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pwr said:

Thanks Jim

Will have a look. The trailer end is easy as the fittings have been moulded on so its just a case of adding some brass rod to couple them to and getting some suitable wires. Single core cable could work wrapped round a small dia. rod.

There is nothing on the cab rear that seems to fulfil that function

Paul R

Paul

Having zoomed in on the picture the cables seem to disappear under the rear skirt of the cab

Jim

Usually,there will be a braket,either bolted on to the cab support(in the case of a tilt cab)otherwise bolted to the chassis.These will have the female ends mounted on the air lines and suzie,which have bulk head fittings on the bracket.The male ends are fitted to the front of the trailer with the lines going down to the brakes and lights.All couplings are the same although these days there are only two air lines and two suzies.(extra electrics,tail lift,fog lights etc.)

The tractor ends,as you say dissapear under the cab to various units (brake valves air drier and so on)

atb

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Just got hold of another 1:43 truck from that well known auction site. This one has come from Spain and depicts what they know as a SAVA but we know as a BMC.

BMC-1.jpg.f47bc4310a7ffdc9b21b5a45f0f381bb.jpg

Its a Spanish version as it has LHD and two extra grills under the rad.

See this link for a UK version

So I can't make up my mind as to leave it as it is - it has a tipping body - or convert to something else such as a British Rail crew bus. That would be a more difficult version as it has a raised curved roof acting as a wind deflector. Alternatively I could simply take the tipper off and put a box body on as the Sunblest vans used to be. The lights on the cab roof will have to come off as well! The bumper will need a coat of black and a UK number plate.

Anyhow I can't get it off the plastic baseplate because the manufacturers have used screws that require a triangular blade to get off and despite me having about a million different screwdriver blade sets I don't have one of those so I have had to order one. Luckily there was a set on A****n that was in a flash sale!

So more photos later, particularly as I have now almost finished the Parkside Banana van.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2020 at 07:45, RobJC said:

Hadley Hobbies.  Spent many a lunch hour in there, and few pounds, back in the late seventies.

When working in the city I used to nip into the cafe next door to Hadley Hobbies, sausage chips and beans. Then have a look in the model shop. Sadly never enough time as I had to head on back to work.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, pwr said:

I remember that although I never got to eat there. By the time I started working in London, Hadley Hobbies was a cheap perfume shop!

Paul R

Ah indeed it was...... Is there something you want to tell us about? ;) LOL

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, jcarta said:

Ah indeed it was...... Is there something you want to tell us about? ;) LOL

Err no! I never went in!  I was so gutted the model shop had gone! 

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 2

Managed to get something done this weekend and finished the Parkside Banana Van and also a Parkside Fish Van that I had started several years ago and never finished - storey of my life!

Not sure the weathering is that clever - I'll need to have a go over that grey as its too prominent. That aside I am pretty pleased with it

Banana-11.jpg.9e3c31f5de0ed3a55ba2407555e692a9.jpg

Banana-12.jpg.59bdacdd94cac25da315c2ec0b00c7c2.jpg

Banana-13.jpg.129443de56efbd9bddf886c42f26e714.jpg

Banana-14.jpg.cc500251e25c406a2e922f5c12ed4292.jpg

And I managed to get the BMC/SAVA off the base. I had to buy another screwdriver kit!

BMC-1.jpg.8662947c0d0a2eff7af854c6fc142f8c.jpg

BMC-2.jpg.c52de2b821ef452cb6b832f8d211cc68.jpg

BMC-3.jpg.8d07310e1b5ba01c90a26a2a346a77b3.jpg

BMC-4.jpg.5a144fab7b71bea30d10b9d06a3dadcf.jpg

BMC-5.jpg.5e3c2da101d62fd6536dddde91ff00c3.jpg

BMC-6.jpg.1fd30294438356286e1cf2a5bbba58a6.jpg

BMC-7.jpg.058683e33dc16262bd09d63dc2e1d3e8.jpg

As with the Ford and Bedford the body is plastic and the cab die cast. Still not sure what to do with this but I will paint those bumpers and give it a UK number plate.  The LHD is very prominent as is the fact that the window edges are edged in black on the frame only. If I can get the glazing out I might have a go at that.  Otherwise I am pretty pleased with this one as its an iconic 1960's and 1970's vehicle.

Right what's next! Oh yes LMS banana vans

Paul R

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Paul

Are you going to attempt to remove cab interior and do a little bit of surgery on it to make it a RHD?

Jim

Jim

I think I am going to have to as its so prominent. I want to try and get in the cab to sort out the window surrounds so hopefully it won't be too difficult.  Protecting the windscreen will have to come first!

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 hours ago, pwr said:

I think I am going to have to as its so prominent. I want to try and get in the cab to sort out the window surrounds so hopefully it won't be too difficult.  Protecting the windscreen will have to come first!

Paul, @Giles Favell did this conversion and documented it on YouTube:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Go for it Paul.

Another thing,the black surround to the windscreen is probably the rubber surround to hold the screen in.

Cheeers

Phil

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, daifly said:

Shouldn't the windscreen wipers be at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock rather than both at 4 o'clock, when parked?

Dave

spaceout.gifspaceout.gif

Dave

I have had a look at some photos and you are correct. I will add this to my list of modifications!

Paul R

• Like 2

Well I have done it!  The BMC is now a UK version (sort of)

BMC10.jpg.fc898d3bd82da5cbf80cc3fe84023567.jpg

BMC11.jpg.8a97a650a90ca42e98f8b713628cb205.jpg

The vehicle is now RH drive which was a very easy conversion once you get the cab off.

I've altered the wipers and painted the bumper and given it a UK numberplate. You ca download the UK Number plates font for free from the internet.

I've not changed the mirror which I need to do and remove the SAVA transfers.

With this being relatively easy I am going to try the Ford Cab now.

Paul R

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the next kit that's been hanging around to be completed is this LNER open which is an ABS white metal kit. Its more or less done but the kit did not contain a full set of brake gear - I think they assumed as you couldn't see it it didn't matter. So I have been fettling up some parts to provide the various linkages that made the brakes apply. You can't really see it in these images but half is done. I need to make some safety hoops before it can be painted. 

You can tell that kits have moved on in the intervening years as this has no sprung buffers and the sides are much thicker than the Parkside example that is alongside it. The two wagons are different, the ABS version has 8 shoe brakes. 

I do like these white metal kits, they roll better and just seem to have more presence.

LNER-1.jpg.6ece36bb024fc90650ac86cf98dc45b8.jpg

LNER-2.jpg.1fae12d1b73390139cc678ef5ad70e51.jpg

LNER-3.jpg.21dbdf8298646db80668ccdea70502af.jpg

I had to replace the brake levers - these are from spares left over from other kits.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update. The LNER open is now in BR bauxite and waiting transfers - no photos at this stage. I decided to fit a Dapol set of screw couplings but the springs are not long enough so I need to find some washers to fit behind the buffer beam and pack them out. More on this when I make progress.

last Saturday Rails of Sheffield sent through an e-mail of bargains and the Chromatic Blue Western was on the list. I simply said ooh that's a bargain and the wife told me to buy one. I didn't need any persuasion and here she is

Chrome-1.jpg.0966e73ae9e1913635c7ec247ae3e09b.jpg

Chrome-2.jpg.e917deca452b0c088e959be9da096d44.jpg

Chrome-3.jpg.1e978f5f8a0b87fc2c6d718981e9a2c4.jpg

chrome-4.jpg.f5c9e7d17a1c2819f178ccfb5ff1a5e1.jpg

She is the perfect companion to my Chromatic Blue Hymek and fills a gap in the transition period that the layout will be operated as on occasion.

By all accounts the next acquisitions will be the 122 and MK1 coaches from Dapol, the latter in Carmine and Cream for the early BR period. They will go nicely with the Ian Kirk compartment 3rd which needs finishing.

In other news the layout - or at least the 2 boards I can get up in the house are to be relocated to the 4th bedroom which used to be an office. That room becomes the railway room/library although 3 of the boards will have to live in another room for the time being with is being converted to the wife's sewing rom.

The new railway room is in the middle of being decorated with the walls a sky blue colour. The whole of the upstairs is a bit of a mess currently but I hope to have the job done and the layout in its new place by Sunday and will update again then.

Paul R

• Like 7