2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

My Hold n Fold is the 18" one and is really good for bogie vehicles. 

On the captive nut soldering, i would use permanent marker pen applied generously to the bolt thread or get a length of dowel the same diameter and 'tap' it using the nut. This then becomes a temporary bolt. I've done it using a bbq wood skewer. It doesn't have to be exact engineering but just a use once and dispose job. 

I didn't know you could get an 18" version. It didn't come up in a search. Please could you let me know where you got it?

Thanks for the tip on soldering the captive nut.

Paul R

3 hours ago, pwr said:

I didn't know you could get an 18" version. It didn't come up in a search. Please could you let me know where you got it?

Thanks for the tip on soldering the captive nut.

Paul R

I'm saying 18 - it might be a 14... Man measure moment! I'll measure its length using my partner's specs rather than mine and let you know.... 

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Yes, reality check - 14 inches. It just looks longer when it's stood up... 

I thought mine was 10" and it turned out to be 14"! 

I searched for a longer version and it doesn't exist. Conventional folding bars are available at longer lengths but these are generally for thicker metal.

I think I may get a 10" or 8" version as well which will be useful as I have a lot more kits to build!

Paul r

48 minutes ago, pwr said:

I thought mine was 10" and it turned out to be 14"! 

I searched for a longer version and it doesn't exist. Conventional folding bars are available at longer lengths but these are generally for thicker metal.

I think I may get a 10" or 8" version as well which will be useful as I have a lot more kits to build!

Paul r

I had some longer bars and found that they needed additional clamping in the centre and that you could only insert sheet for holding to about 8mm depth. There maybe better designs though. 

15 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

I had some longer bars and found that they needed additional clamping in the centre and that you could only insert sheet for holding to about 8mm depth. There maybe better designs though. 

Yes I could imagine that would be a problem and could result in a deformed bend if there was no clamp

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Presumably if you are doing something long like 90 degree turn in a solebar, you just have to do a section at a time and only bend it slightly, then move along and do the next bit to the same shallow angle, then go back to the start and bend a bit more etc so the "twist" in the bit being bent up is never very great?

So my Class 31 with full yellow ends has arrived albeit DPD don't seem to understand the concept of next day delivery.

The model is basically the same as the earlier version - the later 31/1 and 31/4 with cut away buffer beams is due in 2021. 

I wanted this version to bolster my stock of the green/blue transition and actually regretted not buying the Western with full yellow ends as opposed to small warning panels but hey ho!

The model is not carrying any logos which means I can have the choice of applying a double arrow or the conventional lion on wheel. I may go for the double arrow as its unusual.

Class-31-1.jpg.860c20b69cc7f44a593c6ec566ce6704.jpg

Class-31-2.jpg.bffccea4a490933436ac56fed9a6511a.jpg

Class-31-3.jpg.c1c3ffd4fd42bc34306f933572e5dc9e.jpg

Class-31-4.jpg.94b2b1be1e49439dd394eb0cac0241a6.jpg

Class-31-5.jpg.65b213f50a9b2b163f5b859df1e950bb.jpg

Class-31-6.jpg.d269910bcbab3be6fcd4f21912a9bfef.jpg

Very pleased with this although I have suspicion that the head codes are the same as the previously issued version. I'll have to go back to earlier pages and check.

Not much progress on the Freightliner - I need some M4 bolts and nuts which I will get tomorrow as we need to go to the DIY store to get some paint made up.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 6

7 hours ago, woodyfox said:

That nicely captures a 31 styling. It's probably one diesel with subtle  curving that's really difficult to get right (like a Western cab profile or Brush 4 windows etc..). Will this be a Stratford machine?

Yes definitely a Stratford machine!

Not sure which one yet

Paul R

52 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The 31 looks a nice Model Paul.

Thank you Andy

Have you see those Wickham trollies just announced by Ellis Clark. Couldn't resist so I have pre-ordered a maroon one.

I think I am going to go for one of their Thompson coaches too and cancel the MK1's

Paul R

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Thank you Andy

Have you see those Wickham trollies just announced by Ellis Clark. Couldn't resist so I have pre-ordered a maroon one.

I think I am going to go for one of their Thompson coaches too and cancel the MK1's

Paul R

Deffo no Wickham Trolly for me mate, strange little things and wouldn't run around on Seven Mills, haha.

Well I did get the bolsters in so the first flat is now able to be wheeled!  I think it is starting to look the part. I need to do some serious cleaning up and then I can fir the detailed parts - white metal.

FFA-10.jpg.43b758c204cdd45fd024180a3134c47c.jpg

FFA-11.jpg.dbc59789a9bca10d11b3becc0a8ae7bb.jpg

FFA-12.jpg.809a167aef845f68dc45fc04337b33f4.jpg

FFA-13.jpg.669855583f3df11af798552e723d5645.jpg

FFA-14.jpg.b129cbd5e212e8ed2dc56f352d9846ab.jpg

Once I have made this first flat I am going to try and make some progress on there Mk1 before soldering up the two end flats. That gets me to a three car set after which I will build some containers before ordering another 2 flats to make a full set.

The back story here is that Braintree was chosen as part of the initial network of inland Freightliner terminals and was served by shuttles from Harwich Parkeston Quay and Stratford. In reality of course no such facility existed but Rule 1 applies!

Now too get on with the cleaning up

Paul R

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Not much progress to report although I have ordered a Hachette 1:43 Bedford OB bus from a certain well known auction site. I am amazed by the amount of 1:43 road vehicle stuff that's out there. I also had a delivery of Chinese people (bargain on that other well known direct mail order site!) just to see what they were like.

In the meantime the wife has decided I can have the other two Freightliner flats that I need for a full 5 car set. so will order those up shortly assuming PRMRP have any left.

Paul R

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

I have some 1/50th scale Chinese people for the DMU. They look a bit small but I'm hoping to get away with it.

I've been to Beijing and Shanghai many times - they are definitely smaller than us!

Dave

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, woodyfox said:

I have some 1/50th scale Chinese people for the DMU. They look a bit small but I'm hoping to get away with it.

Always good to gain executive authority for purchases. 7mm stuff can rarely be hidden.... 

The problem with 1:43 sitting figures is that they always ride too high on the seats and look odd unless you file away their backside and/or shorten the legs.

I think I figured this out because in real life the weight of the body would sink into the cushions and the centre of mass be at a much lower level in relation to the window. Using 1:50 figures seems like a good way to get round this.  And of course real people are all different sizes as Dave suggests in the last post! That is unless you are modelling modern EMU's which have the ironing board seats. There is no way you can sink into them! The DfT has a lot to answer for when it procured the Thameslink sets. 

In other news Paul Leadley has started a print of the APT-E bogies for me so I have started thinking about how this is all going to work. A scratch build in Plastikard is my favoured option but this will mean I can't have a full interior. That said one of the trailer cars had mirrored glass over much of its length so it might not be a problem.  The fact that the power cars come out at 85ft won't be a problem on the layout as I have no real curves apart from the points and the massive overhang I have seen on the OO gauge Rapido model should not be a problem.  This one is going to be a slow burn. Believe it or not I first got hold of some drawings  from the NRM back in the mid  1980's and I was beginning to think I would never have a model, the bogies being the most difficult bit as I have no experience of the CAD skills necessary to get into 3D printing but as luck would have it somebody has already been there!

I did clean the freightliner flat up last night so I can now finish off the small soldered parts and start the detailing, not that there are many bits in the kit. 

I have decided to make my own containers.

Does anyone know if you can get cast wagon plates for Freightliner flats?

Paul R

So the Hachette Bedford OB came today. As it happens I have the Corgi version to hand and it is immediately apparently how different in size the two scales are - the Corgi being 1:50

These are the comparator photos

Bedford-1.jpg.72806fcac33a72096e815378b8822c85.jpg

Bedford-2.jpg.8a04a2227e4933a7e128630193f82295.jpg

Bedford-3.jpg.8df996eaf26b7476118517f350531f15.jpg

Bedford-4.jpg.751143362af5205b87280769f0db8a79.jpg

Bedford-5.jpg.6915a57a631a01c777fba2e237bc1759.jpg

Apologies for the leaning fence. I had to reach over to take the shot as the railway room is being used to store dining room chairs whilst the house is having work done on it and whilst we continue to use the dining room as an office.

The Hachette model is on a level well above the Corgi. An altogether better casting. Its got flush windows and is generally better appointed. In fairness the Corgi casting is several years old now and later models from the same stable are better.

The only downside is that the bus is in Southern National livery with destination blinds for Dartmouth. I can probably live with the livery if I could get some 7mm Eastern National Transfers which as far as I know are not available. I have searched on the internet to no avail and none of the bus societies seem to have anything either.  Anyone offer any help on this point? Destination blinds I can deal with.

Paul R

• Like 4

Not much to report this week. I cleaned up the excess solder under the Freightliner flat and apart from a few detailed bits the bulk of the work is done. Then its on to the rest of the castings and working out how to fit the couplers. I have ordered the extra two flats from PRMRP so I'll have them at Christmas making a full 5 car set. The wheels turned up today but the kits won't be here until the middle of the week.

If you have been following the SMS thread then you will know my job is going in April and I will be paid off so early retirement/part time job looms ands hopefully more modelling time.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 07/11/2020 at 09:24, pwr said:

Not much to report this week. I cleaned up the excess solder under the Freightliner flat and apart from a few detailed bits the bulk of the work is done. Then its on to the rest of the castings and working out how to fit the couplers. I have ordered the extra two flats from PRMRP so I'll have them at Christmas making a full 5 car set. The wheels turned up today but the kits won't be here until the middle of the week.

If you have been following the SMS thread then you will know my job is going in April and I will be paid off so early retirement/part time job looms ands hopefully more modelling time.

Paul R

And then you'll wonder how you ever had time to go to work Paul. haha:laugh:

All the best.:good:

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And then you'll wonder how you ever had time to go to work Paul. haha:laugh:

All the best.:good:

My Dad said exactly the same thing.  We are having a load of work done in the house which finishes next March so I can stop work and have nothing to do in terms of decorating etc. I am hoping to make more progress on the layout and with the increasing pile of kits. Will be getting another two Freightliner flats for Christmas so another 4 to make. I think I will do them as a batch!

I hope I will be able to get out more also once this wretched pandemic has moved on.

Paul R

• Like 3