HI Pete

No not a great deal. I have installed the crossing and I am starting to paint the crossing timbers. At the moment I have the mother in law in hosspital which is eating into modelling time. I have however been working on a connoissuer bogie bolster and this is getting to the nearly finished before paiting stage.

I have a couple of photos of the crossing which I will post when I have weathered the timbers and when I have the wagon completed I will post that too.

Thanks for the continued interest

Paul

Well its been a while since anything happened on Notley but I have made some small progress on the crossing where I have stained the crossing timbers. This is the first attempt which turned out too light

post-3038-039692400 1289338112_thumb.jpg

I darkened it down to this

post-3038-050585900 1289338141_thumb.jpg

It now needs some weathering to finish it off. A dry brush coat of light grey should do the trick.

Using a sample pot from a DIY store I also gave the road a first going over.

post-3038-099517100 1289338220_thumb.jpg

Its a bit rough and ready and will need a lot of work. I have pavements to add as well as manhole covers and drains. I couldn't resist getting some road traffic out though

post-3038-080846300 1289338295_thumb.jpg

post-3038-089415200 1289338307_thumb.jpg

post-3038-025193700 1289338324_thumb.jpg

post-3038-092441500 1289338339_thumb.jpg

I have managed to get some wet and dry paper for the platform surfaces so I will now go back to finishing them off. I have also been working on a Connoisseur Bogie Bolster wagon which is near to being finished so more photos soon hopefully

Paul R

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That's a nice looking crossing, I look forward to seeing it when it's surrounded with the rest of the landscaping, I suspect that this will get even better.

I've got some of these Noch Grass tufts to try out. A bit expensive at £11.00 a pack but they will be worth it. I can see some heading for between the tracks. I've got summer ones which come in two shades of green. There are other packs and a mixed one. I preferred the colours of the summer one so thats the snow scene out then!

Paul R

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well progress on the layout has started again - still have domestic issues - mother in law in hospital and conservatory wanted by wife for business purposes, but over the Christmas period I did start on the platforms having given much thought to how they were to be surfaced. I did consider using foam board for the tops as well as the base but the thinest I could lay my hands on was 3.5mm and by the time I have added the coping stones this would have meant the surface was about a scale 7" thick.

So I have gone for another method. At my wifes company they have deliveries of letterheads in large boxes and these have 2mm MDF sheets in the bottom so that is what I have used. This will cut with a sharp Stanley knife and glues on to the base with white glue. On top of that will come plastikard coping stones and wet and dry tarmac.

The photos show the top being attached and the form of the base.

post-3038-0-78771300-1294584744_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-50114100-1294584759_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-95976600-1294584775_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-56250100-1294584792_thumb.jpg

The photos also show two of the coaches. One is an Ian Kirk 52' compartment third and the other is a somewhat underscale Lima Mk1 composite which has had its bogies repalces by Wayoh Commonwealths. These will be surrendered at some point to an RMB but I use the coach meantime for clerance checking and trials.

I really must get around to finishing the Gresley as I only have one other 7mm scale coach made - a Thompson non corridor brake 3rd which can be seen in earlier photos.

I will hopefully post updates more frequently now that Prancing on Ice is back. Can't stand these programmes.

All for now

Paul

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Progress continues to be slow but I am getting on with the platform edging.

In the meantime I was given one of these new Peco Yard Cranes for Christmas and the almost completed kit is shown.

post-3038-0-76445800-1296394421_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-81513100-1296394429_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-16262400-1296394437_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the lack of focus on the last one but I included it because I am not entirely happy with the height of the thing - looks too tall. Anybody else got an opinion? I have posed it in an approximate final position. Does anyone know if this is based on a prototype or is it a Peco freelance. Any opinions welcome

Paul R

• Like 3

Just a quik couple of shots of the latest piece of rolling stock - a Connoissuer Bogie Bolster A. This along with some other similar vehicles will be used for the Lake and Elliot traffic to Braintree Goods.

The kit is the usual format from Jim and is very easy to put together.

post-3038-0-93120100-1297024216_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-05452000-1297024232_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the slight focuis problem of this one.

Progress on hte platform edges continues - I did take a couple of photos but the quality was too poor.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update albeit progress continues to be slow.

All of the platform tops are now complete - made from 2.5mm MDF cut with a stanley knife. Plenty of new blades needed as this stuff could blunt a diamond.

The platform edge stones are 21mm x 14mm 20thou plasticard and you can just see the gaps between them. All stuck on individually. This is what is taking the time. Then I need to glue edges on 21mm x 2.5mm before painting. The photos show progress to date. In fact Cressing station did not have this style of platform edging until modernisation in 1977. All that was there before was a brick edging. However as I am not building a slavish copy I am happy to deviate where it is expedient!

post-3038-0-67371200-1298638517_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-59201700-1298638505_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-38811600-1298638527_thumb.jpg

The van is an as yet unfinished offering from Frank Titcombe who used to trade as 'The Freightman'. Great kits and sadly missed. These married a plastic body on to an ABS underframe. This provided a good amount of weight and excellent detail.

I have a number of other kits of his waiting to be put together. Notley will have plenty of vans!

All for now

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi those crossing gates look very good,very well built.What make is the dmu?.

cheers

d600 - the dmu is a Westdale kit. I can't claim the credit for building it though - it came off the Cherry Scale Models Stand about 17 years ago at the Heathcote show! I do however have on the workbench a class 122 from Westdale that I picked up second hand for £20 including bogies about 20 years ago. I bought a Bristol models DMU motor bogie and slow progress is being made. Seems that everything I do proceeds slowly - lack of time!

Paul R

• 1 month later...

Its ages since anything appeared on this thread and I for one would love to see an update on progress.

Regarding 61156 and the Road Railer train, can anyone definitely identify which BRM annual the train was featured in. Progress on my own layout has been snail-like. Having come back to Cyprus for the winter, I then discovered all the things I should have brought out and many half built items are stalled till I can get back to the UK and stock up.

Oh well, at least its sunny here!!

B

Bob

Thanks for your comments - there was an article about the Road-Railer in the 2009 British Railway Modelling Annual or was it 2008. Nonetheless there is a picture of the B1 on this train at Braintree. There was also an article in an earlier version of Model Railway Journal. Both had plans but I am afraid that if you want one then its scratchbuilding I'm afraid.

Because the background to my layout is partially fictional, I am distorting history a little by postponing the closure of the Dunmow section by a few years. Black Notley in effect takes the place of Cressing since that station had only one siding! That way I can use earlier timetables to make opeartion more interesting. What I would really like to get more information on is the type of traffic that came out and into Critalls and the Lake and Elliott works at Braintree.

regards

Paul

Edited by Mod3
Request for copyright infringement removed

Technical Hitches!

Progress on platform coping stones is slow but the edges are really finishing the whole thing off. However you know when a nagging thought kicks in and you put it to the back of your mind until you can't ignore it any more! Well the issue of platform clearance kept coming up and despite the fact that I had run the B2 chassis down the track to check clearance over the cylinders, I kept having those thoughts about whether a full scale MK1 coach would clear the bend in the platform. As I don't have a full scale MK1 built yet and the Lima one is not the correct scale, out came the class 50 as being of a similar length and yes Houston we have a problem! The sides actually touch the loco edge - darn it! A second opinion with the Heljan 47 suggested the problem may not be as bad as I thought and this was confirme by the class 40.

So I am going to have to remove about 6 coping stones and trim back by about 2/3mm and relay them. Shouldn't take too long. I took some pix last weekend but as I have been in Edinburgh on business for a few days I have not had time to post them. Hopefully this weekend.

The Bogie Bolster is now mostly painted and I have found some transfers that were in stock.

I have also dug out a model of the signal box privvy - a Peter Smith model from back in the 1980's - this layout really has had a long gestation.

Paul R

Here are the promised pix.

The first shows the short section of finished coping stones.

post-3038-0-13816800-1302350178_thumb.jpg

I am quite please with this - just the rest of the platform to go.

Now you can see the problem with the bend

post-3038-0-60517900-1302350166_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-98413900-1302350151_thumb.jpg

I don't think this is as bad as it could of been but I do wish I had a Mk1 I could try against.

You can see teh platform shelter here. This is going to make a nice bus office in due course since it is inappropriate for the location as a station building.

And now for a bit of light relief

post-3038-0-73022300-1302350189_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-19596600-1302350201_thumb.jpg

The signalmans khazi or to give it the proper title a single drop brick privvy. Its shown it the approximate final position - the signal box will sit between it and the crossing.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 2

Its ages since anything appeared on this thread and I for one would love to see an update on progress.

Regarding 61156 and the Road Railer train, can anyone definitely identify which BRM annual the train was featured in. Progress on my own layout has been snail-like. Having come back to Cyprus for the winter, I then discovered all the things I should have brought out and many half built items are stalled till I can get back to the UK and stock up.

Oh well, at least its sunny here!!

B

Boeing

The BRM annual was definately 2009 and I cam across a copy of BRM March 2009 that had some follow up pictures of the Roadrailer including a surviving box trailer. I wonder if it still exists?

Paul R

Boeing

The BRM annual was definately 2009 and I cam across a copy of BRM March 2009 that had some follow up pictures of the Roadrailer including a surviving box trailer. I wonder if it still exists?

Paul R

Paul,

Thank you very much for confirming the BRM annual year, now I can start the search for a copy. My interest is in the loco , as it was the last steam working I witnessed on the Bishops Stortford to Braintree branch. Maybe one day I'll model the Roadrailer train but there are many more items that take priority.

Regarding the possible surviving trailer, it's probably best consigned to history, the whole concept was a non starter in my opinion.

Thanks again,

B