Haigh Sidings - Inglenook Shunting Layout - OO Gauge

• RMweb Premium

Time for a small update, I've not done much recently.

I've finished all the drawings for the 2nd mill:

HaighMillsFinal.jpg.e57b20e628a3a0354dc5e1d073eb7c97.jpg

I've been in touch with the guy who's cutting it for me, and hopefully it will be cut today, so with a bit of luck should have the pieces in my grubby little mitts in a few days!

I've also done a little bit on the interior of the first mill - I've put up some dividing walls, and put some planking down on the floors.  I popped down to the club today for a couple of hours, and started planning out where the woodworking machines are going to go, then realised I needed some 'accessories' for the woodshop. Got out some strip styrene, and made some traditional woodworking benches, along with a stack of timber:

Workbenches.jpg.4851369a2a46a457988bb4276e21c2da.jpg

Not bad for around an hour's (enjoyable) work. Just need a bit of paint now, and should be good to go.

Oh, and at Doncaster last weekend I got one of THESE sets for the drawing office from Severn Models. I just hope I don't make a hash of assembling & painting it!

JRB

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The effect is superb.   Now to the 'weathering' for a busy workplace.   Only a couple of figures?   To fill the number of vans and wagons that you will be shunting into its siding you are going to need a large labour force!!!   Keep the excellent modelling going. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

That all looks superb JRB, well worth the effort, are you planning on putting figures in there? I imagine a couple of people drinking tea and chatting by the window would look good.

There'll be maybe 4 or 5 figures on this floor - a couple working the thicknesser, and 2/3 others at workbenches/other machines.

The people drinking tea will have to wait for the canteen/offices upstairs!

JRB

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something cropped up last night, so I didn't end up going to the clubrooms. I'm at home today, so this morning I did some dry assembly to see how it was looking. Here's the structural inner skin:

HaighMills04.jpg.57fd60ea6bed3e9eb4340eba739b74ba.jpg

Even without any glue, it holds itself together pretty well! To give you an idea of scale, the squares marked on the cutting mat at the bottom left are 1" x 1". It's quite imposing, which was exactly how I wanted it!

And with some of the main outer skin decorative panels in place:

HaighMills02.jpg.0ba23c5713e7ff046379e065b2a136ee.jpg

HaighMills03.jpg.7b1581a69c30538ba6ee57913622fb16.jpg

It never occurred to me whilst I was designing it, but I think there may be an issue physically getting it into position on the layout, since it's effectively inside a box, and is almost the full height! It's not only got to go over the tracks (which it might just do) but there's buffer stops in the way too, and it definitely won't go over those. I think I might have to try to remove the top of the layout & drop it in from above, but that will have to wait for another day.

JRB

Edited by jrb
Spelling
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

It fits!!!

HaighMills05.jpg.0171cdcd2003926ffff420d62faca49c.jpg

To be honest, it took a bit of juggling to get it in. It needs to go in in 2 sections, and then needs joining in the corner once in situ (which will prove interesting when painting & weathering it!). The inner skin is all glued up, and the outer skin just held in place with a few bits of tape.

Here's an overview of the entire layout:

HaighMills06.jpg.37c1d9cf8bfcd7eb3d3c760b300a4582.jpg

I've not decided what's go in between the two mills yet; maybe another building, or maybe just a retaining wall to slightly higher than the bridge level with something on top.

The view from the bridge now:

HaighMills07.jpg.ee5c215b6d771c6177b9f29a5a92aaa7.jpg

The right-hand side of the building return is slightly closer to the right-most siding buffer stop than I had anticipated. And when I say 'slightly', I mean quite a lot:

HaighMills08.jpg.a64369f368da8bf5656c127f5bb7c0d2.jpg

At the corner, it's within a mm of touching the rail!!! I'm thinking I might have to lift that siding & move it over closer to the front; I thought I was done with trackwork a long time ago!

Another thing I had laser-cut along with the mill was some A4 sheets of my own (very simple) drawing for some slates:

Mill1_14.jpg.8482dcc9da7b0cfc2c8389250342110e.jpg

Mill1_15.jpg.f511203cf0e82cc4834bb0c239a713f7.jpg

This afternoon I glued these onto the roof of the first mill:

Mill1_16.jpg.dda49602eae511cb928969c2c21cb686.jpg

The top rows have now been cut back, and some foil tape applied to the roof corners to represent lead flashing, though I forgot to take pictures after I'd done those.

JRB

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

That mid-space.   Had the left hand building been symmetrical instead of ending in a right hand vertical line, then I would have suggested just an industrial back sheet with your high boundary wall.    It maybe here that you should have a chimney but if you feel that is out of place then your wall bridging both buildings along the front line with a road delivery/collection area behind with each floor on the side of the left hand build having a warehouse crane and possibly a platform.   Then the industrial background behind.   Maybe repositioning the siding buffer stop but I presume you had its length to maximum wagon storage.  

• RMweb Premium

Here's the roof in position, with a coat of primer:

IMG_20200225_195713.jpg.ddd4da925057a21c122e3e17aac9a500.jpg

I was going to leave the slates the colour of the card, but when I sprayed it with some matt varnish (Tamiya, from a rattle can) it 'bloomed' with white spots. Don't know why, but there you go. Suspect it's some kind of reaction between the solvent and the pigment in the card.

There are some alignment faults in my application of them, where the spacing between rows is too great (resulting in the joints between tiles being visible) or inconsistent (making it obvious they were done in strips). Oh well, it's all a learning curve, and hopefully will be less visible when painted and weathered.

JRB

Edited by jrb
Clarity
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2020 at 21:28, jrb said:

At the corner, it's within a mm of touching the rail!!! I'm thinking I might have to lift that siding & move it over closer to the front; I thought I was done with trackwork a long time ago!

Unless the siding length is critical to the millimetre, to simplify things couldn't you just cut the siding back a tad shorter?

Mike.

Regarding the buffer stop problem, why not just alter the siding to end in a slight curve with the buffer stop and thus maintain the wagon length and reduce the amount of work to save realigning the whole siding.   Shame to undo the entire well presented siding. 

• Agree 1

Two good ideas for the siding there. Could you put a smaller building in the space with a chimney, could be a boiler house with some pipework going to the warehouses ?

Another idea could be a scale 8 - 10ft high wall with an industrial backscene buildings behind, you could even have a gate to suggest an entry to the yard with a foot crossing on the tracks? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Unless the siding length is critical to the millimetre, to simplify things couldn't you just cut the siding back a tad shorter?

Mike.

Mike,

Thanks for that, often the simplest solutions just don't come to us!

The siding has to be a certain length in order to hold 3 wagons, but it is slightly over that length. I'm sure I could shorten the siding by 2, or maybe even 3 sleepers, which is all that it would need.

I'll check tomorrow evening.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, coline33 said:

That middle space.   How about an eye catching electricity pylon like those Hornby produce with a sub-station beneath within a boundary wall?  Something out of the ordinary on a layout especially one that you may want to exhibit.

Unusual idea, but I wouldn't have the depth for that. I've got 40mm max. Even a low-relief half-pylon would be much deeper than that.

JRB

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Keeping with the pylon theme, would it be plausible to have just a sub station modelled there supplying electricity to the warehouses/estate? 

Possibly, but would they build a substation in such a small gap between 2 relatively tall buildings?

Another thought, how about a walkway connecting the warehouses with an area of rough ground underneath, plenty of weeds, bramble, junk, maybe a small shed, etc. 

The walkway would have to be supported in the middle as the buildings are quite a bit apart.

Change from the 'Hornby' pylon to the basic 'receiving' twin pole structure with the cables then going to the sub-station below with trees on the backsheet on either side.   The cables would then go on to the backsheet between the tops of the tapering trees.