Class 83 models

Hi Folks,

My Class 83 is looking rather forlorn, it has been in an unfinished state for nearly thirty years. It is built from a Trix AL1 body with Lima class 33 bogies that need a little more attention than previously, perhaps scratch built side frames. The body work could do with a slight cheer up although the underframe detail is about the best of it at the moment.

DSCF1036.JPG.b6e249f967f756de398b74d1889d5cbd.JPG

What will be 83 010 from a Trix body.

This is my class 84 built in a similar way but recently reworked from a similar condition, if I do a similar job on the class 83 then I shall be pleased. The Locomotive also rides on Lima class 33 bogies except that the side frames are scratch built.

DSCF0888.JPG.64f6d5a43e8092d1c16104f6e5d4d5dc.JPG

84 009 Trix body and scratch built bogie frames.

This class 82 is currently on the bench, the 83 to follow in (between DMU projects) and then there are three more class 81's to do do also and maybe another 85 as seen below.

DSCF1037.JPG.9a3c1ed7f2512fe20c76972aa7e7ab1d.JPG

Trix bodied class 82006 mounted on Hornby Hymek bogies that will be further modified.

DSCF0600.JPG.909c3c3063d33f670eeafdf849a8aff4.JPG

Trix 81015 on modified Hornby 86 bogies.

DSCF0601.JPG.c39c1cf0dfd575cbef630810334c5432.JPG

A modified Trix Al1 body forming 85 024 as above mounted upon Hornby 86 bogies.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I get that LOL! Tempting fate a little more, attached are a couple of pictures of one of my 82’s. This one is the plated over variety and I’be also done a domino dot one as well. It’s fitted out to the same DCC specification as my class 83’s.

8F7BA133-0E7A-4D2E-BD00-74CE4A238319.jpeg

2B47C52D-3B2E-4C5D-BCA1-4B9D1EE97B55.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I've discovered these on eBay and thought that they might be the kind of thing that may be of interest to followers of this thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-ELECTRIC-CLASS-81-AL1-BODY-KIT-4MM-SCALE/124246039790?hash=item1ceda41cee:g:YawAAOSwS7xe6hV2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-ELECTRIC-CLASS-82-AL2-BODY-KIT-4MM-SCALE/124239013597?hash=item1ced38e6dd:g:6LwAAOSwCqJe7Ihu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-ELECTRIC-CLASS-83-AL3-BODY-KIT-4MM-SCALE/124246062252?hash=item1ceda474ac:g:2NcAAOSw3iRe8zhy

A bit pricey at £65 a pop but easier than scratch building or converting as I have done, too late for me anyway.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2020 at 19:27, Rail Steven said:

Class 82 82008 with domino dots.

F6E04C3F-BCAC-406F-B4BA-574F38B6FDBC.jpeg

I'm reluctant to find fault with such a super body of a prototype rarely modelled, but the bogies jar with me.  Are they from a Bachmann 85?

The 82 has heavy cast bogie frames with prominent weight saving holes at the ends.  There's a couple of photos recently posted in the AC Electrics Photos thread:

The 82 bogies would require scratchbuilding unless you can obtain some from DC Kits.  I'm not sure Charlie has made any of those kits for many years though (I have one tucked away).

58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm reluctant to find fault with such a super body of a prototype rarely modelled, but the bogies jar with me.  Are they from a Bachmann 85?

The 82 has heavy cast bogie frames with prominent weight saving holes at the ends.  There's a couple of photos recently posted in the AC Electrics Photos thread:

The 82 bogies would require scratchbuilding unless you can obtain some from DC Kits.  I'm not sure Charlie has made any of those kits for many years though (I have one tucked away).

Hi Northmoor,

I have used Hornby Hymek bogies on my class 82 as both being Beyer Peacock designs they were of a similar style. I will in time make modifications so that they look more like those under the electric locomotives rather than what was used under the Hymeks.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Yes, the bogies on both of my Class 82's are indeed Class 85 bogies but they really are only a temporary measure to get the loco's rolling, so to speak. In due course I will scratch build them myself as I have done so for both of my Class 83's. I note that the Class 82 bodies for sale on eBay represent the Class 82 in it's original form as they have the long central grille so I don't think that they are suitable for TOPS liveried locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 15:55, forest2807 said:

Please PM me if you would like an objective appraisal of these - I purchased an 83 and an 84.

I may be getting the 82 as that’s all he has at the moment. What’s the verdict on these?

cheers

Shane

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 02/09/2020 at 23:58, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The class 83 is now on its bogies and is almost ready for painting.

DSCF1124.JPG.78f0df4c472429838c3d2daa499cabca.JPG

DSCF1125.JPG.00b4d8c1a1e32235bfe753b71a4f5fee.JPG

Gibbo.

A year on how has this progressed? 

Yes I know it’s 3am lol but the coronavirus cough makes sleep challenging to say the least! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

A year on how has this progressed? 

Yes I know it’s 3am lol but the coronavirus cough makes sleep challenging to say the least! 

Unfortunately we won't get to hear from Gibbo as his account has been closed; he broke the rules once too often and Andy ran out of patience.  It's a shame as I won't miss the conspiracy theories and fantasies, but his modelling is really original, impressive and frequently unique.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Unfortunately we won't get to hear from Gibbo as his account has been closed; he broke the rules once too often and Andy ran out of patience.  It's a shame as I won't miss the conspiracy theories and fantasies, but his modelling is really original, impressive and frequently unique.

The Alex Higgins of railway modelling ! 

Flawed genius lol

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 14:11, Rail Steven said:

Being a massive early AC electric Loco fan, I have suddenly found more time on my hands so I've decided to start  building models of  the early AC electric classes. Top of my list was the Class 83 so I've just completed not one but two of them. They have full DCC sound and functionality and attached are a couple of photos of the completed locos. More loco classes of the era to follow! LMK if you want any further info.

83009.jpg

Class_83_83009.jpg

Pair_of_83's.jpg

I’ve just found this thread. These are excellent. Makes me want to have a go at modelling the AL1s to AL4 and have  bought some spare class 85 bodyshells to have a play with. Reckon I should start with classes 81 and 82. The Euston ECS duties provide the opportunity to do an 82 or 83 in Executive livery, which would be great. The load bank 84 would also be a great subject. I feel inspired!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2023 at 10:54, John Tomlinson said:

As this is a thread about WCML AC electrics, I wondered if anyone has any views or experience of this item I came across on Ebay. They do other stuff too,  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176101667520 

Many thanks.

John.

To be honest if starting a class 81 project, I would start with a Trix 81 body.

its actually very very accurate and an all round good body, just bring it upto todays standard by using a Bachmann 85 and take the chassis, roof details etc.

A little bit of cutting around the frame ends, and filing inside the trix body to make the inside smooth you’ll get the 85 chassis to fit neat even the tail lamps align to the leds.

Below the body theres precious little the 85 wont give you for an 81.

if doing a modern 81, with firebottles on the roof, ive used Bachmann class 45 air tanks from the spares site.

Theres a good market for trix 81 spares, so anything you dont want will find a home.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

To be honest if starting a class 81 project, I would start with a Trix 81 body.

its actually very very accurate and an all round good body, just bring it upto todays standard by using a Bachmann 85 and take the chassis, roof details etc.

A little bit of cutting around the frame ends, and filing inside the trix body to make the inside smooth you’ll get the 85 chassis to fit neat even the tail lamps align to the leds.

Below the body theres precious little the 85 wont give you for an 81.

if doing a modern 81, with firebottles on the roof, ive used Bachmann class 45 air tanks from the spares site.

Theres a good market for trix 81 spares, so anything you dont want will find a home.

I’d also use the cabs from the 85 with the Trix centre section as there is little to differentiate between the 81 and 85 cabs. I missed the boat with the Dapol-produced bodyshells, alas!

Nevertheless, here’s a jolly passable 81 from an 85:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1