Class 83 models

They were not as bad as all that. It has become fashionable to trash MTK but remember without them there would have been virtually no modern image models for anything not produced in RTR at the time. They were rough and ready but filled a valuable niche. Sure they are crude by modern standards but they are 30 years old. They could be made into decent representations of the prototype with a lot of patience, filler and a large file.

The problem with MTK was it ticked a box on the "done" list, so other manufacturers who could have done a better or easier job weren't tempted to release a duplicate kit of the same prototype for fear of having already lost sales. I did like their ethos of supplying the basic parts and allowing the modeller to use the bits as a scratchbuilding aid, rather than assembling the kit according to the instructions then complaining when the finished model doesn't look like what it's supposed to.

Here is my effort with a class 83 kit, bear in mind I was only 14 when I built this. A more experienced modller could probably do a much better job but it shows they are not the unbuildable monstrosities some people claim.

Not bad...!!

They were not as bad as all that. It has become fashionable to trash MTK but remember without them there would have been virtually no modern image models for anything not produced in RTR at the time. They were rough and ready but filled a valuable niche. Sure they are crude by modern standards but they are 30 years old. They could be made into decent representations of the prototype with a lot of patience, filler and a large file.

Here is my effort with a class 83 kit, bear in mind I was only 14 when I built this. A more experienced modller could probably do a much better job but it shows they are not the unbuildable monstrosities some people claim.

post-887-127084792542_thumb.jpg

A nice effort in my view, and very much the 83!

Just to reiterate, I don't want to turn my thread into an MTK bashing session and, (as I have pointed out in some of my other threads), I'm all for anyone who has the ability to fill the gap as regards locomotive kits.

On a slightly different note, I managed a ride behind two separate EP07's early this morning, but only because I slept through my station stop. I'm not complaining though, it was great fun!!!

Cheers.

Sean.

• 3 years later...

No worries reviving the thread jsp - I looked in on it wondering who had started it only to find out it was actually me!

May I ask where the body was sourced from as I still haven't got any further with doing one myself?

As for chassis, on page one, somebody mentions one by Roco I believe?

Cheers.

Sean.

I got it directly from Apple Green, along with four whitemetal bogie frames.

http://www.applegreenengines.co.uk/page3.html

Is the Roco DB 110 chassis still available? A search with Google didn't come up with any where that sold them. I had given thought to building my own chassis, I already did this with an HO scale Atlas FP7 unit although that is only a dummy.

Hi JSP, Forest, all.

JSP, I'm not sure if the Roco chassis is available, as I've not really looked for one. I'd imagine they'd have a website, but I'd try ebay for a second hand one which may yield a chassis?

Forest, I've seen your class 83 build, (although I never got round to messaging Judith Edge kits about those etches. Just too much on I guess. I haven't seen updates on a finished model, any pictures?

Cheers.

Sean.

Finished model? Mmmmm, that would be nice.

I became a dad for the first time last year so modelling time is now minimal/non-existent! Having said that, my wife has taken our daughter to her Mum's for a couple of days so could there be a modelling window? Possibly, but it's a shame that my first 'home alone' for months coincides with a stupidly busy period at work. I might dig out those Judith Edge etches and see about fitting them. Or at least remove them from the fret, prime them and think about fitting them. Or maybe just think about doing that. Or maybe just sleep.......

• Like 1

Forest it was that thread that lead me to this forum as I was looking at buying a class 83 body.

I am still checking the model out and seeing what I need to do to it at this time. If I can get it worked out I may go for the class 82 and 84.

• Like 1

Colin Massingham used to make jokes about his own kits, however he was a modern image model pioneer and he should be remember ed for that and the Class 313 kit he stamped on at a Show whilst laughing,when a well known but controversial model-maker tried unsuccessfully to wind Colin up. LOL

Nigel

PS MTK 7mm kits were marketed under the trade name El Crappo!

Edited by Xerces Fobe2

Be sure to post progress on your work JSP and if you start a thread, feel free to link it here.

Cheers.

Sean.

I will, although since I work 12 hour days it will be slow.

Congratulations on your impending fatherhood, as forest states it does indeed kill ones time when it comes to hobbies but as I am once more single, and my son is of an age that he is into model trains, I figured it was time to get back into the hobby.

It is said that the late Colin Massingham's real talent lay in being able to produce a kit, allegedly without any reference to GAs or other drawings. He apparently did it all by eye.

In later years, branching out into "O" gauge, his brand name "Elcrappo" was a knowing reference to what people thought about MTK!

...Is the Roco DB 110 chassis still available? A search with Google didn't come up with any where that sold them......

....I'm not sure if the Roco chassis is available, as I've not really looked for one.....

You can still get the parts for the DB E10 / Br.110 direct from Roco, but you have to know what you're looking for.

I suggest that you print off the spares sheet first - Download one of the later DCC-ready versions here

Then look at the "Art.no" columns which give you reference numbers for each individual part - write down the ones you think you will need.

Finally, go to Roco's spare parts webpage here and type in the part numbers into the search engine. That will give you the individual prices of the brand new spares. You can then buy direct from there, if you choose.

Edited by Horsetan

These are not production etches at the moment so not advertised, we have a only few sets of these.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

So you are talking about these,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39460-Hornby-class-86-conversion-to-class-83/?p=1130164

If you have some in stock I am interested in getting a set. The grills on the Apple Green version aren't the best, I have tried to make them deeper but it is taking a long time and I am not happy with the results so far.

Edited by jsp3970

Trying to figure out what I would need from the Roco list, not very good at saying how all this goes together.

Concentrate on the spares diagram. I presume you only really need things like underframes and bogie components, and maybe the motor and drivetrain, all of which are illustrated especially at bottom of page 1 and top of page 2.

On page 2 of the sheets, ignore items 31 to 37 as these are for use on Marklin AC 3-rail/stud-contact only.