Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

My orders in.

Got to be honest I was reluctant about the LN since it was “sleuthed” late last year.

However the artwork looks good, and having a full house of SR super power (V, N15,S15,LN, BB,MN) gives a somewhat consistent feel to the fleet, so Derails it is, £20 down on each, got some old Bachmann ones to clear out, means overall the Nelson upgrade will be fairly cheap.

If you step back and look at it, Hornby has out classed Bachmann on GWR, SR and is only a few short of LMS and LNER, The blue box is definitely fading in colour to the weaker brand, all Hornby needs do now is become profitable...and get the paint right.

Thanks mate, as always your custom is appreciated. :) As you have seen we're missing a few pictures, but most of the loco's are up now, just rolling stock left to go...a bit of a marathon this!  :danced:

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks mate, as always your custom is appreciated. :) As you have seen we're missing a few pictures, but most of the loco's are up now, just rolling stock left to go...a bit of a marathon this!  :danced:

forget the rest just put the Maunsell buffets up asap !  :no:

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice brace of toads there Hornby. The  toad B's however had wider planks than those in that drawing. Some were also upgraded with steel duckets but no toad E's with the wooden ones.

It shouldn't be hard to add sanding apparatus to a toad B if needed. Most welcome as I'm tired of drilling out dozens of holes in kits for handrails.

LMS and LNER mainline coaching stock is also a welcome return. J36 looks like a winner too, I'll add that to my wish list even if it will be out of place on the layout. Next year perhaps a J21 and that N1 body for the N2 chassis. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink!         

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

It maybe a reference to its preserved form , in which case Era 7 is probably correct .   Having said that I've no idea how an 1888 version would differ.

It is based on the NBR livery that Maude wore during the 1970s. 

When W.P Reid replaced Holmes as Locomotive Superintendent of the NBR, he began a rebuilding programme of the company’s locomotives and the first Class C was rebuilt in August 1913 to GA No. 4314. By 1920, 108 engines had been rebuilt and by Grouping, 160, the final eight being completed under the LNER. The details of the rebuild extended to a new, larger boiler, a new cab, chimney and new springs.

Hope that helps?

As ever, I'm on the end of a PM if you have any pressing queries folks...

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It is based on the NBR livery that Maude wore during the 1970s. 

When W.P Reid replaced Holmes as Locomotive Superintendent of the NBR, he began a rebuilding programme of the company’s locomotives and the first Class C was rebuilt in August 1913 to GA No. 4314. By 1920, 108 engines had been rebuilt and by Grouping, 160, the final eight being completed under the LNER. The details of the rebuild extended to a new, larger boiler, a new cab, chimney and new springs.

Hope that helps?

As ever, I'm on the end of a PM if you have any pressing queries folks...

Paul.

Thanks for answering the question Paul. I had seen Era 7 and assumed it was as preserved. On order now . Thanks for finally modelling a real Scottish Engine . Now to follow it up , a Caley Blue 812 would be lovely........ seriously thanks for unlocking what I hope will be a torrent of demand for Scottish locos

• RMweb Gold

The concern I have, and no doubt others too, is that there's a massive amount this year from both red and blue teams for the Southern region and that's on top of everything else already announced. Why am I concerned? Despite all this being announced they will still want more...

Indeed. Because there is now a big selection, it encourages more people to model the Southern. Which then feeds the demand for further models, which then encourages more people to mode the SR, etc. 

R3514 .. 5 car IEP is £393

R3609 .. 2 car IEP is £269, 3 car add on R4870 £179 = £448

Thats £55 more not a £180 premium.

Rails have R3514 at a Bargain £295, Hattons @ £319... thats  a £24 difference between the two shops.

Rails: R3609 £229 + R4870 £137.50 = £366.50 difference of £71.50

Hattons R3609 £239 + R4870 £144 = £383 difference of £64

I know what I would do (and have done already).. order a 5 car from Rails quick.

And if you want two.. order 2x 5 car from Rails and renumber it yourself.. save £71.50.

Having looked at it all again, it seems Hornby need to employ some proof readers before putting the info out. The info card thing on page one shows that R3609 has an RRP of £399.99 with the R4870 coach pack having an RRP of £179.99 as I stated in my initial post. This does indeed give a £185 premium over the already announced R3514 5-car set.

Having looked on Hornbys website, your qouted prices are indeed correct. I would assume those prices on the website are the right ones rather than those on the info card as posted here.

Still, I don't see why it should cost more for the same product with a different number.

Andy.

Despite the fact the new Class 87s haven't even landed on these shores yet I was pleasantly surprised to see Hornby adding a third Class 87 to the range with the Virgin model.  

Its not on my shopping list due to the era but its a good sign for AC loco modellers that electrics are now firmly on the map.  I don't know if the Virgin model will take longer than the 2 initial models but seems good that Hornby have also released a run of matching DVT and Mk3s.  Seems some Mk3s still have the old clear glazing and some now come with the better tinted glazing.

Another good thing for me about "getting the virgin model out of the way" means there is a greater chance that we will see an executive liveried version at the next round ideally with half and half wrap around front ends and just the original MU cables.

Again though I wonder how manufacturers decide on loco number.  We have had 87019 before with the original Lima BR blue model.  Theres 35 x 87/0's to choose from so why they didn't go for a number that's not been done before is a mystery to me.  87033 holds a special place for me which would be great to see one day.

• Like 1

....Still, I don't see why it should cost more for the same product with a different number.

It's the additional cost of packaging and selling them as two separate items.

It attracts all the overheads of packaging, logistics (transportation, warehousing, distribution), marketing and sales, twice over.

e.g. A loco retailing at £150. Two of the same would cost £300. Package them in one box as a set and they could reasonably sell the pair for much less, let's say £230, £240 or so.

A bit frustrated with Hornby's Southern offerings.  The early crest H is 31265, withdrawn 1960, when they could have done 31543, withdrawn 1963; The early crest LN is Lord Rodney, yet Rodney received the late totem as early as 1957, whilst classmate Martin Frobisher retained the early crest until withdrawal in 1962 - and not only that, Rodney was the only Nelson to retain the Maunsell cylinders, and this begs the question, will the Hornby model have the distinctive 'hump' below the smokebox door?

Add to this the Maunsell dining cars being pre-1956, then none of this helps me modelling the SR in the early 60's, except for Lord Nelson, which looks very nice indeed!

Edited by Chuffed 1

Having looked at it all again, it seems Hornby need to employ some proof readers before putting the info out. The info card thing on page one shows that R3609 has an RRP of £399.99 with the R4870 coach pack having an RRP of £179.99 as I stated in my initial post. This does indeed give a £185 premium over the already announced R3514 5-car set.

Having looked on Hornbys website, your qouted prices are indeed correct. I would assume those prices on the website are the right ones rather than those on the info card as posted here.

The £399 is an error/typo, I've checked that with Hornby as it seemed somewhat excessive for two cars :O

The  toad B's however had wider planks than those in that drawing. 

Now you're absolutely 100% certain on that?   :wink_mini:

post-508-0-38366500-1515463484.jpg

4033713403_b0d7435478_b.jpgTyne Dock Railway by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

Some did, some didn't, and who's to say down the years, both sides ended up the same. Hornby will just have to be careful with their number selection.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

Well one big silly error, is that Hornby have listed the pack containing the 2 class 800 driving cars as a "Train Pack" and the pack containing the 3 other coaches as a "Coach Pack".

Isn't that the wrong way around?

The prototype driving vehicles are unpowered trailers.

Depending on your point of view, running just the pair of driving cars together, on their own, is either at the fantasy end of rule 1, or just plain daft.

It's no better than bunging a black beetle in a couple of Maunsell or Gresley coaches and running them without a loco attached.

By the way, it's £450 m.r.p. for the combined Class 800 set, compared with £394 m.r.p. for the other (delayed 2017) GWR 5-car release.

I see what you mean but if I can get funds together I may be one of the 'plain daft' ones who just runs the pair of driving cars together as my layout is way too short to accommodate an almost 2 metre long train. I do like the IEP so I would see it as a necessary compromise.

The Colas 67 is definatley of interest, can see one heading my way.

I did think there would have been at least one "modern" tooling, be it loco, unit, coach or wagon rather than just a few new paint jobs. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on this thread, but an Electrostar EMU has to be in the pipeline from someone, and I was keeping my fingers ever so slightly crossed that it would be done by the Red team. Still, with Bachmann doing the Turbostar, maybe it could follow?

Andy.

I sincerely hope you are right. Every year for the past umpteen years I get my hopes up and every year I am let down. Surely it's only a matter of time.

And yes I did hope it would be done by the red team. I may be wrong but I have always felt that Hornby's quality was ever so slightly better with modern image.

Edited by bart2day

Also a little frustrated with Hornby's Southern offerings. Though a Lord Nelson is welcome I would rather have seen The Adams Radial in Southern Railway green, and also in LSWR Drummond livery as they did to the M7.

Maybe in the future.

Cheers,

Chris

From the RRPs, R3676 Mallard is £20 more than its sister, R3630 Woodcock which has an arguably more complex livery. I presume there is an image fee payable to the NRM for Mallard, and with the Rails/Rapido Dyno Car around the corner it makes sense to have a non-special drake in the range.

Pleased to see the Toads, it won't stop me with my Parkside ones, as they will both be in NE livery, and steel ducketed, so a wooden one or two will certainly make an appearance.

The milk tanker set looks useful and there are some welcome additions to the TTS range, the class 20 in particular for me!

The blue MN was almost a shoe in when it wasn't in the initial release, and I might be tempted finally!

I found the LMS bathtub a little surprising, but given the lovely new chassis, it makes sense and will certainly be interesting to see what improvements they make. And I never did get a blue one before!

It an interesting range, with a few 'that looks nice' items, but not a great deal of big ticket items that I must have.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some of these develop and if I have the money when I see them I could be tempted, if not I'll be fine!

I'm glad there's things that people have been clamouring for, hopefully those people will put their money where their mouths are, and there'll be more releases like that in the future!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

On their website the 4-plank and 6-plank ones look like they retain the older moulded on couplings.

The coupler mounts on the older ones came straight down from just behind the headstocks. I've cut all mine off but the pictures in my 2012 catalogue support that.

On the wagons pictured in the "New for 2018" pages (e.g. R.6863), the coupler mounts appear to come out from between the wheels, with daylight under the ends suggesting they are NEM pattern. The 2018 wagons also appear to have metal-headed buffers in place of the former plastic pimples.

Wagons from the existing range, illustrated on other pages (e.g. R6817) show the old-style pillars (and buffers) or, in the case of the 7-plank wagons (e.g. R.6811) the Airfix-style mount.

The new ones are definitely different, with split axleboxes and brake gear that looks much finer, very like the Oxford Rail wagons

John

EDIT: Info about buffers added.

Edited by Dunsignalling

The coupler mounts on the older ones came straight down from just behind the headstocks. I've cut all mine off but the pictures in my 2012 catalogue support that.

On the wagons in the new pics (in the "New for 2018" pages, e.g.  R.6863), the coupler mounts appear to come out from between the wheels, with daylight under the ends suggesting they are NEM pattern.

Wagons from the existing range, illustrated on other pages (e.g. R6817) show the old-style pillars or, in the case of the 7-plank wagons (e.g. R.6811) the old Airfix-style mount.

The new ones are definitely different, with split axleboxes and brake gear that looks much finer, very like the Oxford Rail wagons

John

Must have a closer look

Edited by MGR Hooper!

What, with a cabinet reshuffle in progress?

Chris

I don't understand what re-organising a model railway display cabinet has to do with this thread?

Back to the topic, full marks to Hornby for announcing the SRPS NB J36 'Maude' in late 70s - mid 80s preserved mainline livery. It worked a summer season on the West Highland Line in this livery and also the Lothians and Fife on railtours, along with being one of the jewels in the SRPS preserved steam locomotive collection. My only question is how can they do it TTS sound when it hasn't had a boiler certificate for a good few years, I'll still buy one though.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

It's the additional cost of packaging and selling them as two separate items.

It attracts all the overheads of packaging, logistics (transportation, warehousing, distribution), marketing and sales, twice over.

e.g. A loco retailing at £150. Two of the same would cost £300. Package them in one box as a set and they could reasonably sell the pair for much less, let's say £230, £240 or so.

Sorry Ron, packaging and logistics are quite small in comparison to costs of products. More likely this is a mistake .