Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

I looked, only ONE of the "North American" stores listed even shows Hornby as a product line. :O That's the one in Canada, and they sadly have NOTHING of the new items listed as available.

The Hornby site itself only shows ONE Duchess "left", "Sir William Stanier" out-of-stock and referring to the "View Stockists" and selecting North America reverts to the same sorry unreal list that's always been there (see above) <yawn> <sigh>

EDIT: Also the Standard 4MT also "ONE LEFT" and the H SECR  out-of-stock - so what they imply, and the reality are on the either sides of the universe.

Not sure why they pretend that there are "stockists" over here (US), except for the Canadian ones, of which there are certainly a few, as there are never any Hornby products listed on the US retailers.

Still the BEST choice for US residents is to get things from the UK sellers (mostly because they get supplied first/soonest) at decent prices, even after shipping is added, especially given we get (for the US at least) the VAT deducted.

I just pre-order from my favourite flavor of the month/week UK seller and be done with it.

EDIT: If I even THOUGHT ABOUT pre-ordering a "Lord Nelson" from a US seller, it's unlikely they'd even know what one IS, would as yet be unable to accept a pre-order, would (when they CAN accept it) charge at least $50-100 more for the privilege, and I'd have to wait month(s) after release to see it - that's why my pre-order is already in with Hattons

Oh well...

Edited by Ian Abel

So I had an e-mail from Hatton’s today advising that the GWR 153 I’ve ordered will now be available in March ‘19, what are they playing at, its not new tooling it’s just a new livery! In any other ‘product market’ the consumer would walk away and buy an alternative from another brand, but because Hornby know we can’t do that they just keep slipping delivery dates one after the other, no way to run a consumer facing business.

• RMweb Premium

So I had an e-mail from Hatton’s today advising that the GWR 153 I’ve ordered will now be available in March ‘19, what are they playing at, its not new tooling it’s just a new livery! In any other ‘product market’ the consumer would walk away and buy an alternative from another brand, but because Hornby know we can’t do that they just keep slipping delivery dates one after the other, no way to run a consumer facing business.

It's quite possible that given the choice they'd rather have them ready and take your money now not in a year's time.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not defending Hornby but they're not the only model train company for whom estimated delivery dates are rather flexible. In fact in recent times they've been far from the worst offender and have generally been pretty good at delivering models within a reasonable interval after announcement.

• Like 1

I'm not defending Hornby but they're not the only model train company for whom estimated delivery dates are rather flexible. In fact in recent times they've been far from the worst offender and have generally been pretty good at delivering models within a reasonable interval after announcement.

I agree but the other ‘offender’ seems to have a ‘problem’ getting past the design stage , I would have thought that Hornby’s re-livery should be easy to deliver on time

• Like 1

It's quite possible that given the choice they'd rather have them ready and take your money now not in a year's time.

From e-mails with Hornby I have to say that although they claim they are listening to customers their future releases indicate otherwise.

So the "March 2019" date on the Hornby website ever since it was listed was invisible to you??? https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/new-for-2018-diesel-electric-locomotives/class-153-dmu.html

So what are you getting at? Does it occur to you that Hatton's have had the wrong date all along? Not everything is Hornby's fault. A little slip in the delivery date upsets you so much? I shudder to think of how a real problem is handled by you.

If a consumer wants to walk away, let him/her do so. I don't see how it concerns you.

It's ridiculous to point a finger at Hornby and say that they're deliberately doing so just because there's no alternative (especially with not proof). Cough up some proof please! 

• Like 4

Some people have absolutely no idea about what goes on behind the scenes for something as "simple" as a new livery. They also fail to understand how slots are allotted for manufacturers. They also fail to understand that if the livery samples have errors and if they miss a slot, it's a long time until the next. And in this particular case, someone turned a blind eye to what was always listed on the Hornby website, took a retailer's estimate as Gospel and then decide to whinge about it.

• Like 1

Would it be better if Hornby did not give a fixed date and just say

along the lines of XYZ COMING SOOM to a shop near you.

It is the fixed date that lets Hornby down when not the fault of Hornby.

Well then you'll get that one group constantly pestering for delivery dates, if one is published and if deadlines (I use that word lightly) aren't met, they'll erupt with more idiotic comments. There's nothing a manufacturer can do that will please everyone. Anyway It's common knowledge that delivery dates are always estimates.

Well then you'll get that one group constantly pestering for delivery dates, if one is published and if deadlines (I use that word lightly) aren't met, they'll erupt with more idiotic comments. There's nothing a manufacturer can do that will please everyone. Anyway It's common knowledge that delivery dates are always estimates.

How about estimating with an exorbitant conservatism and then pleasantly surprising everyone by delivering early?

Hang on, then people will complain that they haven't had time to save!  :jester:

• Like 1

Unfortunately it seems that common knowledge, just like common sense, seems to be in short supply.  [i bet that is Hornby's fault too.]

We can always ask Bachmann or Hornby to try their hand at OO gauge sets of common sense/knowledge... or am I asking for too much?

How about estimating with an exorbitant conservatism and then pleasantly surprising everyone by delivering early?

Hang on, then people will complain that they haven't had time to save!  :jester:

See, every solution has a bunch of people who will find fault. All of us are guilty of it.

Some people have absolutely no idea about what goes on behind the scenes for something as "simple" as a new livery. They also fail to understand how slots are allotted for manufacturers. They also fail to understand that if the livery samples have errors and if they miss a slot, it's a long time until the next. And in this particular case, someone turned a blind eye to what was always listed on the Hornby website, took a retailer's estimate as Gospel and then decide to whinge about it.

“Someone” is is not as stupid as you’re trying to make out, I fully understand what is involved. Ensuring delivery slots are not missed is all about effective planning (allowing for slippage where suppliers don’t deliver to time/quality) before communicating delivery date and then managing to plan. I speak about customer experience from a position of knowledge as my day job is all about improving customer experience for the customers we do business with and believe me Hornby’s interaction with its consumers is nowhere near a “21st Century” experience (and prior to doing the job I do now I was an Operations Manager so know all about delivering a product on time and to quality.

I only post on here when I know what I’m talking about so I do not appreciate your sarcastic put down.

Edited by SteveC32
  • Like 1

“Someone” is is not as stupid as you’re trying to make out, I fully understand what is involved. Ensuring delivery slots are not missed is all about effective planning (allowing for slippage where suppliers don’t deliver to time/quality) before communicating delivery date and then managing to plan. I speak about customer experience from a position of knowledge as my day job is all about improving customer experience for the customers we do business with and believe me Hornby’s interaction with its consumers is nowhere near a “21st Century” experience (and prior to doing the job I do now I was an Operations Manager so know all about delivering a product on time and to quality.

I only post on here when I know what I’m talking about so I do not appreciate your sarcastic put down.

Well then I am sorry, someone with as much experience as you shouldn't be worrying about the delivery date changing of a "model train/product of a hobby". Added to that some crazy accusations towards a company.

Who knows, maybe a CV to Hornby will help them improve their customer relations.

• Like 3

Well then I am sorry, someone with as much experience as you shouldn't be worrying about the delivery date changing of a "model train/product of a hobby". Added to that some crazy accusations towards a company.

Who knows, maybe a CV to Hornby will help them improve their customer relations.

Interesting! So clearly you think I shouldn’t have made my original post because you don’t agree with it and ‘put it down’, I didn’t realise that the RMWeb forum had become a Communist State where free speech isn’t permitted but clearly you’ve put me straight on that, I’ll know the next time I post anything :)

• RMweb Premium

It’s only Model Railways so”keep the heid “ as we say in Scotland . I am a bit puzzled though, it says in catalogue “available “under the GWR 153 is that the one we are talking about?

Taliking (as I was on another thread) about models that took a long time to come to be realised.....

Looking up something else in Pat Hammonds "Story of Rovex" Volume 3, Hornby Railways, I came across this proposed .model....

R.558. LNER J36 No. 5211 in LNER Green livery.

Proposed in 1978, but not actually made...it would probably have used the "Jinty" chassis....

Now, in 2018, we are shewn the NEW J36 Class models! ;)

• Like 2

So the "March 2019" date on the Hornby website ever since it was listed was invisible to you??? https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/new-for-2018-diesel-electric-locomotives/class-153-dmu.html

So what are you getting at? Does it occur to you that Hatton's have had the wrong date all along? Not everything is Hornby's fault. A little slip in the delivery date upsets you so much? I shudder to think of how a real problem is handled by you.

If a consumer wants to walk away, let him/her do so. I don't see how it concerns you.

It's ridiculous to point a finger at Hornby and say that they're deliberately doing so just because there's no alternative (especially with not proof). Cough up some proof please!

Jeez. Some people on here have real anger issues. No reason to get that offended by what was simply someone's opinion. Edited by bart2day

It appears you are blindly defending an obviously mismanaged company considering the financial trouble they are in. Firstly it says in the catalogue that the 153 is available now so Hornby deserves some stick for that error.

Secondly if they already knew it wasn't going to be able to be released in 2018 why not wait and announce it as part of the 2019 range next year? Then people would only have to wait two months between January and March, much more reasonable.

Thirdly, Hornby is all over the shop when it comes to certain releases and they don't inform customers well. For example, the GWR HST was originally due November 2017 then put back to January 2018 and then without any notice turned up in September 2017.

Edited by bart2day

• RMweb Gold

It appears you are blindly defending an obviously mismanaged company considering the financial trouble they are in. Firstly it says in the catalogue that the 153 is available now so Hornby deserves some stick for that error.

Secondly if they already knew it wasn't going to be able to be released in 2018 why not wait and announce it as part of the 2019 range next year? Then people would only have to wait two months between January and March, much more reasonable.

Thirdly, Hornby is all over the shop when it comes to certain releases and they don't inform customers well. For example, the GWR HST was originally due November 2017 then put back to January 2018 and then without any notice turned up in September 2017.

But is this unique to Hornby ?

This forum is full of release dates that are not accurate across every vendor.

Projects have targets, but for all kinds of reasons the dates change.

Why the worry, it’s a train, it’s early or it’s late. Your not going to be late for work because of it.

• Like 2