Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I heard that it was a mistake originating from a draughtsman's note scrawled on the GA interpreted as 'Gazelle Names Used'

GNU is a wildebeest.

I was on safari in SA once, with a tour, the tour guide started out pointing to a Springbok, and started mentioning there’s many types of antelope in SA, could anyone name a few....

Queue me... I rattled out every B1 name I could think of.., except 61243 and others such like, everyone was stunned including the tour guide.

Kudos me...1-0...hell yes !

Unfortunately amazement turned rapidly to bemusement when someone pointed to a furry friend and said which type is that... to which I had to fess up to not having a clue. (After all it didn’t have a number on it’s loins or nose, for all I knew it was a woolly mammoth).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

J36 delivery looks to be slipping, email from Hattons now giving the delivery date as October. So hopefully here for my birthday!

Jim

Very unsurprising given the very little progress that has been shared from Hornby. Perhaps a release of 'Maude' on November 11th would be a nice touch?

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered R3632 from Rails.... ( BR, Merchant Navy Class, 4-6-2, 35024 'East Asiatic Company' - Era 4 )

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34829/Hornby-r3632-oo-gauge-br-east-asiatic-company-merchant-navy-class-4-6-2-steam-locomotive-35024

seems to be the lowest pre-order price so far..... £137 !

Assuming it’s honoured at delivery.

The price promise only states:

We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release.

Edited by adb968008

Providing an order has been placed prior to any price hike, Hornby to date have honoured that price I think you'll find.

It's some large outlets like ROS that have hiked their prices. A good example of this was with the H Class.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TTS models again seem to be slipping back on projected release dates.

The Lord Nelson in now November, whilst the J36 Maude is now December.

It is apparent that the floods of new models, to which we have become acquainted, have now ebbed somewhat.

Given Hornby's new management and the difficulty of finding factory production 'slots' delays seem more the norm than ever.

I guess therefore that asking questions about Hornby's choices for new or re-liveried models is a bit of a waste, but with the 50th Anniversary of the 15 Guinea Special coming up it appears that Hornby have put all their eggs in the rather expensive 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' Britannia and three carriage trainpack.

I know that lead-times are long for even new numbers and so on, on existing models, but have wondered why the fourth engine used on that day in August 1968, 45110, has not been produced, at least to my scant knowledge.  Has this ever been mooted, or hinted-at before? It would have to have the same tooling as 2011-13 production weathered sound fitted 45010, and of course be pristine, but I suppose we can cobble together a 45110 somehow?

edit, perhaps starting with a s/h R2555 45156 'Ayrshire Yeomanry' which has the right boiler and lamp bracket. (except the lower centre one, which should I think be moved a tad, butt that's a bridge too far. :) )

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is apparent that the floods of new models, to which we have become acquainted, have now ebbed somewhat.

Given Hornby's new management and the difficulty of finding factory production 'slots' delays seem more the norm than ever.

I guess therefore that asking questions about Hornby's choices for new or re-liveried models is a bit of a waste, but with the 50th Anniversary of the 15 Guinea Special coming up it appears that Hornby have put all their eggs in the rather expensive 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' Britannia and three carriage trainpack.

I know that lead-times are long for even new numbers and so on, on existing models, but have wondered why the fourth engine used on that day in August 1968, 45110, has not been produced, at least to my scant knowledge.  Has this ever been mooted, or hinted-at before? It would have to have the same tooling as 2011-13 production weathered sound fitted 45010, and of course be pristine, but I suppose we can cobble together a 45110 somehow?

edit, perhaps starting with a s/h R2555 45156 'Ayrshire Yeomanry' which has the right boiler and lamp bracket. (except the lower centre one, which should I think be moved a tad, butt that's a bridge too far. :) )

I too think Black 5’s in 2018 was a missed opportunity.

There was plenty of them in 1968, and picking ones like 45318/388 & 45110 would make sense, similarly limited runs of 250 odd for retailers around the country of the other 20 odd July/ August 68 fives could have worked.

The argument for not over cooking them doesn’t stack up, it’s more efficient to produce bulk, and then the 5’s tooling could be rested for a few years. It’s unlikely in 2028 that 60 years post event it will attract the same following as 50 years.

Sadly the 50th anniversary on the Mainline is a bit lack lustre too., not even sure yet if a black 5 will be part of the event.

I too think Black 5’s in 2018 was a missed opportunity.

There was plenty of them in 1968, and picking ones like 45318/388 & 45110 would make sense, similarly limited runs of 250 odd for retailers around the country of the other 20 odd July/ August 68 fives could have worked.

The argument for not over cooking them doesn’t stack up, it’s more efficient to produce bulk, and then the 5’s tooling could be rested for a few years. It’s unlikely in 2028 that 60 years post event it will attract the same following as 50 years.

Sadly the 50th anniversary on the Mainline is a bit lack lustre too., not even sure yet if a black 5 will be part of the event.

Indeed there would be a market for many Black 5s with a last-run theme, as with Southern Region Bulleids, some of which have been done?

Black 5 45318 is intriguing being the last public-timetable steam run, 3/8/68  It reached 78mph at Maghull under driver Ernie Hayes, I believe, a fine swansong.

That said, Hornby have been excellent over the years with most variations of the conventional Black 5 covered (I wouldn't recognise a sloping throatplate firebox if I fell over one).

Further to my choice for a re-numbered 45110, I think the existing Peter Waterman 45190 might be closest in spec.  In researching this I noted that 44666 has the 26-element boiler with differences.. excellent stuff, Hornby! :) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Hornby Model Railways, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018.

Models featured, included the all new Streamlined Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2, NBR J36 Class 0-6-0's and Lord Nelson Class 4-6-0's.

Hope you enjoy!