Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

J36 . At last something Scottish and a delightful wee engine too .  NB one a must, although I note it says ERA 7 , so that must be as preserved. LNER one maybe and a BR one , but id modify to late crest, Can run it with a green 37 on Longannet coal trains

Others of interest too:

Blue MN

Castle Class single chimney Collett tender , at last!

A little surprised at Streamline Coronation . I suppose that's to use new Duchess chassis, but did it need a new body , I thought the old one was very acceptable .

Have to laugh....another NSE Class 50

Overall seems a bit tame compared to previous years , but that's understandable  and overall I think theres enough to generate excitement . J36 Yay!

Oh poop!  Just noticed Maud is DCC TTS . Why do they do that......................

Notice that there is not a late crest one yet too, who cares - Haig was a St Margarets loco - ordered from Hattoins soon as the site updated!

Jim

Well it was very nearly 'NFM' - but I might stump up some coins for the Maunsell dining coach.

Some nice varied items this year, though I suspect all parties are holding some cards close to their chest still.

Fallow spending year for me, but I spent a fortune this year so I can't grumble and I can spend more on making a model railway than on stock this year.

General impressions on Hornby 2018.

​1. J36 - Something for the Scottish fans. It will be a massive boost for them. I am pleased for them. Enjoy like NE Region guys your wait has been worthwhile.

2. Loads of Southern stuff - Yes lots of it already done, but theres loads of models and production slots all dominated by Southern models, stock and EMUs here.

3. Lord Nelson - as expected given the pic that was blurred. Yet another Southern model for a region now crowded with supply (and I think over saturation of demand).

4. Intercity HST is going to be popular, especially with DCC TTS Sound added. Price for it will be interesting...

5. NE Toad brake van is nice and will certainly go with those hoppers and Q6. Shame that we need to wait for more for this area.

6. Gernally an open goal after the Bachmann annoucement, but range for me is generally generating a feeling of apathy. Goal missed.

Edited by The Black Hat

• RMweb Premium

Slightly annoyed that Maude seems to be being sold as DCC only - I might have to end up taking the plunge just because of this one model...

Surely it would be cheaper just to remove the chip?

Glad to see 121 in railroad! Shame I just brought the DCC Supplies limited edition Dapol chiltern 121 tho!

Otherwise on a modern perspective: Nothing! Class 800 already announced, Had a class 50 last year [if that is "modern"]. Nothing else passenger stock wise for modern... HST is a non-modern livery sadly, tho I think most modern ones have already been made...

Poor modern era modelers!!!

Edit: Oh and a Virgin 87 with matching appropriate coaches... Still a bit too old for me!!

Yes totally agree.

The only locomotive product I will purchase from Hornby is the Colas Class 67 67023 and in respect to wagons/coaches both KFA Container wagons and that's it which mirrors me only purchasing the Colas 60 and both KFA's from last year thus again the bulk of my purchases will go to Bachmann, geez I buy more diesel locomotives from Dapol and that's just the 68.

Also I think Hornby should have done the Colas 67 as a special edition twin pack for both 67023 & 67027 with their names Stella & Charlotte as per prototypes thus they missed a beat on this one but I'll settle for the single 67.

Lastly, Hornby need to revise their Era groups as having Era 9 as 1995 onwards is misleading considering most of their era 9 locomotives no longer operate in their liveries or at all post 2010.

• RMweb Premium

While I'm sure we are all grateful for Andy's efforts, it would appear something has gone slightly wrong with the illustrations - several images are duplicates and as has been mentioned some things are missing (like the Maunsell Restaurant car)

[Edit] I stand corrected, it IS there, but not with the rest of the coaching stock

All the details are also up on the Hornby website so until the issue is sorted here, folk will need to have a look at Hornby for the missing items.

As regards said Maunsell dining car, Hornby are also re-releasing the Maunsell open 3rd in Olive this year which will pair up well with the Olive Restaurant car. As has been noted, the BR(S) green version of the restaurant car lacks a similarly BR(S) green livered open 2nd to go with it - BUT if you look back at the history if the Open 3rd model, it has been released twice in the past in BR(S) green with two different running numbers (R4538 and R4538A) but only once in olive (R4537), and never in Crimson and Cream.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Yes, though it's frustrating to have to pay the extra price for the model to be DCC fitted, only to have to disassemble what's likely to be a fairly delicate model and remove the chip (plus acquire a blanking chip and fit that) if one isn't going to use it!

Plus this one is DCC TTS . I cant see the price . I'm wondering if they are gambling on DC users forking out the extra then simply doing away with chip and sound.  Mad . It would have been better making it DC with option of converting it to DCC Sound

• RMweb Gold

I guess 1968 is a busted flush now,Nothing from either manufacturer.

ok a token 70013 and coaches, but that’s done the rounds before.

I can get on with my two black 5s to renumber now, they’ve been awaiting today for some months.

Noticed even the Mainline hasn’t got anything special that day either, 60163 and a regular CME.

Notably on the Bachmann thread the class 40 anniversaries have also passed by.

steam on the southern feel seems to be arriving strong in 2018s range.. Bulleid 4-6-2’s galore galore, Maunsell, H and the LNs!, and Bulleid coaches from Bachmann, plus the Belle, H1, H2..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I am definitely getting one of those double ended con rod spanners. Interestingly it has an old school three digit R code. R7200 small coupling assembly pack is most welcome too.

Phew my wallet can breath a sigh of relief (and my long suffering partner)

Interested in the Maunsell first kitchen diner as part of a cross country service. Out of interest would the second/third open have been used to provide second/third accomodation for the kitchen car?

Rovex

The answer is on this page:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1365b.html

Martin

The 'Cross Canada Diesel Freight' train set sounds interesting. Is this the old Tri-ang Transcontinental stuff, or something from Rivarossi?

Maybe not, my line of thinking is a cross London dockyard freight, there were a heck of a lot of 'Canada' names in the docklands, not least Canada dock. something like a sentinel and a few vans maybe?

I am definitely getting one of those double ended con rod spanners. Interestingly it has an old school three digit R code. R7200 small coupling assembly pack is most welcome too.

It used to be part of the live steam packs. Looks like it has been resurrected.

• Like 1