Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Or wait until Rails start splitting them, and buy one without the chip?

Presumably there will be those that want LNER and BR versions with TTS so it may be possible some suppliers will do swap

But it is daft , why not just make everything analogue and give users the option of TTS. Many will want to use their chip/ sound of choice anyway

Edited by Legend

Glad to see 121 in railroad! Shame I just brought the DCC Supplies limited edition Dapol chiltern 121 tho!

Otherwise on a modern perspective: Nothing! Class 800 already announced, Had a class 50 last year [if that is "modern"]. Nothing else passenger stock wise for modern... HST is a non-modern livery sadly, tho I think most modern ones have already been made...

Poor modern era modelers!!!

Edit: Oh and a Virgin 87 with matching appropriate coaches... Still a bit too old for me!!

Good not just me then. Am I right, Hornby have only announced a GWR 800/0 and Colas 67 for modern modellers? Where as we have Bachmann re-tooling modern units in the form of the class 159 and 170/171, adding precision and depth to their range. I think Hornby seems rather desperate here, steam steam steam, it is almost like they are crawling on all their knees, begging the grey pound to keep them alive. 

I see this catalogue as a huge missed opportunity, no re-tooled 91 or 92. No modern liveries on the 60 or HST. 

And what is it with choosing Class 800/0 which have yet to enter passenger service? both 2017s 800004 and 2018s 800003 are still the property of Hitachi and used for testing. They shall be the last to be introduced into service and NEITHER of them hold the livery Hornby are selling them in. Hornby could of selected 800005-006/008-018/023. Why sell the DTPF/S separately? Bonkers. 

All I am going to get is the Colas 67. 

Whereas with Bachmann I am getting the severn models all over £150 each.

I really want Hornby to survive and succeed, but if they don't make anything I can spend my millennial pound on, they are going to find the grey pound disappears. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So where did the revival of the Clan someone hinted about go? If the tooling is still around and not 'damaged' then can we have a few more please?

No one posted anything about its imminent revival..only that the tooling still exists.Let's get that one straight right now.

Plus this one is DCC TTS . I cant see the price . I'm wondering if they are gambling on DC users forking out the extra then simply doing away with chip and sound.  Mad . It would have been better making it DC with option of converting it to DCC Sound

It's only about £165 before retailer discounts. £25 more than the non fitted version. Remove it and sell it on. The Digital Sound packs sell for £40 each.

Jason

Only ‘Stella’ there for me. Surprised not to see a plain red DB Schenker Class 60...

Yes Hornby should have put out another DB Schenker red Class 60 as it's been a while since the last one which now go for stupid prices on ebay when they appear on the odd occasion.

• RMweb Premium

I've now looked at the Hornby website as well. Some of the images there are different what Andy posted - for example the nameplate on 50033 is in the correct lower position (although other details are still incorrect) and the Maunsell Van C shown in Andy' post is corrected to the Van B on the website to match the description. there may be others too.

Why ? Take the chip out that is all that is needed surely.

Fair enough - I wasn't too sure if the pre-fitted chips and speaker were removable or not. Either way, my club has a DCC circuit so I might end up leaving it in.

I was more annoyed because of the very distinctive price difference for something I wasn't fussed about - but then Hatton's put it up for a much cheaper price so I'm not complaining any more, haha

While I'm sure we are all grateful for Andy's efforts, it would appear something has gone slightly wrong with the illustrations - several images are duplicates and as has been mentioned some things are missing (like the Maunsell Restaurant car)

A few images had failed to display this morning; now corrected.

I would have hoped to be able to fill in some more of the missing livery info on some products but as the mags haven't been invited to the trade event there isn't the opportunity to do that today and there was nothing in the briefing information about the TTS van. Your frustrations are fewer than mine. ;)

• Like 1

Umm interesting, the j36 will be an interesting addition. It sort of interests me... though I may end up only buying a brake van from the LNER... I can always use them. Of course it is all budget dependent

The green A4 which hasn't been done for years is an interesting addition... it is again on a may be list for me. As I have a LNER black, blue and silver A4's.

I suspect there may be some surprises during the year!

Oh does anyone knows if the catalogue is going to be distributed by Hornby Magazine again? If so I won't purchase from the uk as the postage is a killer to Australia!

Edited by DougN

• RMweb Gold

I hope 50033 in NSE livery will have the correct darker blue and the nameplate correctly positioned so it reads "Glorious Network SouthEast".

Looks right to me..

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5332/31163445871_12a15e85fd_b.jpg

And Hornbys render..

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/network-south-east-class-50-co-co-50033-glorious-era-8.html

Looks like my last Lima 50 will be retired, need some yellow snow ploughs now.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

New items in the Railroad range very thin on the ground surprisingly and looking at Hornby's site itself, some interesting pricing. Ex Lima warmed over Class 59 for 85 notes strikes me as a contender in the 'You're having a giraffe' category.

• RMweb Gold

Good not just me then. Am I right, Hornby have only announced a GWR 800/0 and Colas 67 for modern modellers? Where as we have Bachmann re-tooling modern units in the form of the class 159 and 170/171, adding precision and depth to their range. I think Hornby seems rather desperate here, steam steam steam, it is almost like they are crawling on all their knees, begging the grey pound to keep them alive. 

I see this catalogue as a huge missed opportunity, no re-tooled 91 or 92. No modern liveries on the 60 or HST. 

And what is it with choosing Class 800/0 which have yet to enter passenger service? both 2017s 800004 and 2018s 800003 are still the property of Hitachi and used for testing. They shall be the last to be introduced into service and NEITHER of them hold the livery Hornby are selling them in. Hornby could of selected 800005-006/008-018/023. Why sell the DTPF/S separately? Bonkers. 

All I am going to get is the Colas 67. 

Whereas with Bachmann I am getting the severn models all over £150 each.

I really want Hornby to survive and succeed, but if they don't make anything I can spend my millennial pound on, they are going to find the grey pound disappears. 

Of course, one could equally interpret it as there being lots of "grey" pounds on offer to make it worth Hornby's while, and fewer "millennial" ones.............

Plenty of other posts on here suggest that many of the former are spent on "modern image" models and many of the latter on steam outline so it may be unwise to generalise.

Hornby presumably know better than we which generates the highest returns for them and will have taken the decisions they have on that basis.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the system worked as requested for the single chimney 'Castle' with Collett tender with late insignia - I second young Mr Hargave's vote of thanks to the Hornby research team for that one (a good illustration of how contact via The Engine Shed can work to the customer's advantage).  I'm not so sure about the re-catalogued 'shirt button' liveried 'Grang'e but good to see it's being given a chance while 'Llanvair Grange' in late BR livery is an excellent idea although it will need a tender from Mr Bachmann's stable to be absolutely correct as Hornby don't have the right one.  What I do find a bit odd is giving the early BR liveried Hawksworth and Collett coaches a run with late emblem engines - plus the fact that the early livery Colletts are still out there at 'special offer' prices (is there a bit of stock clearance going I wonder?). 

Overall a pretty good effort by Hornby with plenty of new tooling, and a few 'humdingers'.  A policy which I hope will continue into the future with no reduction in standards of detailing etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would have hoped to be able to fill in some more of the missing livery info on some products but as the mags haven't been invited to the trade event there isn't the opportunity to do that today and there was nothing in the briefing information about the TTS van. Your frustrations are fewer than mine. ;)

Sorry Andy, the bold type wasn't meant as a dig at you, rather to alert people there were issues so they didn't keep going on about them.

This is disappointing to read, one would of thought with the new management being very much in my experience forward/customer facing they would of willing interacted with the media. 

Hornby presumably know better than we which generates the highest returns for them and will have taken the decisions they have on that basis.

Only a business in a dire state focuses on 'what it knows'. A sustainable business, with a long term plan to be a success, understands it is just as much about tomorrows customer - thus expanding your market share, as it is about satisfying todays current customer. 

Someone didnt do their research at all with that model of 50033, lets hope they do before it sees production. Nameplate position is wrong

Pity they only offer the Intercity HST Power Cars as TTS sound too, they would sell well as a normal set

And the Rudd/Clam/Tope wagons only appeared in the very late 80's/early 90's

For the post steam modeller this is diabolical, but I appreciate Hornby need to appease the market that sells the most. They are still the 'definitive' Model Railway brand

I'm not sure but didn't the swallow livery HST have Valenta engines not MTU.........so is the TTS sound recorded from the correct engine type?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least with many of the Hornby items we have prices and expected delivery dates.  I've ordered a Maunsell Restaurant car from Hatton's: price is £40 and delivery expected in October this year. Contrast that with the Bachmann 2-HAP I ordered in March 2016, which I understand is still in the drawing office ....

• Like 1