Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

New items in the Railroad range very thin on the ground surprisingly and looking at Hornby's site itself, some interesting pricing. Ex Lima warmed over Class 59 for 85 notes strikes me as a contender in the 'You're having a giraffe' category.

A hint perhaps that the whole Railroad idea and range is undergoing a more thorough going review - it is definitely long overdue for one.

• RMweb Premium

I had often considered that 2018 would have been the ideal year to release a J36.  100 years since the end of the First World War.  What better way to commemorate it?  I never imagined it would happen though.  I will be buying these by the truck load!

Yes, but why oh why choose to release yet another loco named after someone whom many consider a war criminal?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only a business in a dire state focuses on 'what it knows'. A sustainable business, with a long term plan to be a success, understands it is just as much about tomorrows customer - thus expanding your market share, as it is about satisfying todays current customer. 

That's as may be, but if they don't get the money rolling in today, there won't be a tomorrow.

John

• RMweb Premium

I had often considered that 2018 would have been the ideal year to release a J36.  100 years since the end of the First World War.  What better way to commemorate it?  I never imagined it would happen though.  I will be buying these by the truck load!

Your profile pic gave that away LOL. But agree its great to see the J36 . Hopefully we will all get out and buy it. And the word will spread ......there's a market for Scottish Railways .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only a business in a dire state focuses on 'what it knows'. A sustainable business, with a long term plan to be a success, understands it is just as much about tomorrows customer - thus expanding your market share, as it is about satisfying todays current customer. 

If your business is in a somewhat precarious overall financial position what you need to do today is make product which sells at a good rate of return.  So it's probably not a bad idea to make sure you tap a market which you know is there rather than take a chance on one which claims to be there but which your results might show to currently offer a lower rate of return.  With plenty of money in the bank and a good financial foundation a business can perhaps afford to take a punt into currently less profitable business areas as it can stand any short term lower rates of return that might lead to.

Little doubt in my mind that if Hornby were to more actively exploit the contemporary real railway scene beyond such headline things as the Class 800 they will need to spend money on researching it and keeping pace with it and unlike Bachmann that might be a risk they are either not keen on taking or can't afford to take.  Interesting too that the commissioners, who are often literally putting their homes on the line as well as putting their money where their mouths are, tend not to go for the contemporary scene - and they also happen to be in the front line retail trade which suggests they have a pretty good handle on what sells and what the market is looking for (as some Hornby reps also know).

• Like 1

The TTS ventilated van will solve a problem for me as the Dolgellau CME, if I swap the TTS wagon sounds for a generic steam loco chip. Instant crowd pleasing chuffing behind plain vanilla DCC chipped locos which cost a fraction of their sound fitted brethren, helping the finances long term.

Other than that may I be the first to say...well, I won't bother. LMS coaches already announced will be nice, and it will be interesting to hear the TTS Valenta HST to see what it sounds like, and assuming that Oxford do release their HST Mk3 stock sometime soon as the Hornby ones are nonsense, but that's it. Still, plenty already in the pipeline for me this year so perhaps a good thing this announcement had all the excitement of watching the grass grow.

• Like 1

Looking at the artistic impression of the Maunsell restaurant car it looks as though

the exterior panel joints are to be modelled. These were missing on Hornbys 

earlier Maunsell coaches, which gave the impression that  the coaches were 

clad in one sheet of steel plate. Still great models though.

• RMweb Gold

Very happy to see a Single Chimney, Collett Tender Castle. And the new Brighton Belle coach pack with standard NEM Couplings. Will make recreating the Belmond British Pullman so much easier!

And the Castle a perfect complement to "The South Wales Pullman "....a combination I experienced  in prototype a very long time ago..This one is personally very special.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's only about £165 before retailer discounts. £25 more than the non fitted version. Remove it and sell it on. The Digital Sound packs sell for £40 each.

Jason

Yes thanks Jason, Hattons showing it at £132 with sound etc and £112 for LNER versions without . That's not too bad actually

• RMweb Premium

Looks right to me..

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5332/31163445871_12a15e85fd_b.jpg

And Hornbys render..

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/network-south-east-class-50-co-co-50033-glorious-era-8.html

Looks like my last Lima 50 will be retired, need some yellow snow ploughs now.

Yes the Hornby website is correct - except the blue is the earlier lighter version not the correct darker blue. But my comment was based on Andy's OP, where the nameplate is shown in the higher position used on other NSE locos.

Tornado, built in 1960, renovation began in 1991, completed in 2007. Thats quality!  :locomotive:  :mosking: LOL etc..

post-9660-0-85104200-1515409497_thumb.png

On a positive note, a swallow HST, fantastic. And a triple grey 60..good and I'll buy one (lets hope the triple grey colours are right, not like the previous two grey 60s). NSE 50033, great, just get the correct blue. 

Modern stuff, colas 67, good. Lets just hope they get the colas colours right third time lucky. 

I could go on and moan about all the HUGE gaps on re-liveries that aren't in there again in class 08, 31, 56, 60 form etc but theres no point. I'm really pleased they're doing a swallow HST, just PLEEAASE Mr Hornby if you're reading this..get the colours right. And you will sell them all very quickly. (Ps, the buffet car shouldn't have a yellow stripe along the whole thing)

Sorry if that sounded a bit moany, but I really want the diesel releases to be good in the paint department! I can live with increased prices, just as long as I haven't got to do a partial repaint. 

Alex

• Like 1

So, five pages and forty or so minutes after the announcment.

Is it only me that find people's reactions to the announcement more interesting the the announcement itself? (As interesting as is. [& Bachmanns ] )

P

• RMweb Gold

J36, Pecketts, Duchess,  LN and Maunsell diner gets my vote. However I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't had a  re-run of the SECR liveried H Class but done 2 more BR variations. Think they missed a trick there. 

Not for me, they haven't. The flush bunker, early crest BR H is just what I was waiting for.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1