Fitting TCS decoder to Dapol 4mm Class 122 Bubble Car

Topfeed

I recently purchased a Dapol 4mm scale Class 122 Bubble Car and, separately, a TCS EU621X, 21 pin decoder. The TCS instructions show that the decoder fits onto prongs on the locomotive mother board, but there are no such prongs on the model. There is a black-coloured block on the mb, with 21 brass coloured dots, which looks as though it might be removable, but I'm not going any further until I know more. Does anyone know if this decoder will fit, and how does it do so, please?  

Edited by Hellcat

It should say in any service sheet that came with the Bubble Car. A quick check online says that it needs a 21 pin decoder and the one you have should fit. You will need to remove a blanking plate to enable you to fit the decoder.

• RMweb Gold

No “DCC-ready” model is sold without a blanking plug in place, otherwise it would not run on DC, as required by a very significant number of purchasers. Just lift it out and replace with the decoder.

It should say in any service sheet that came with the Bubble Car. A quick check online says that it needs a 21 pin decoder and the one you have should fit. You will need to remove a blanking plate to enable you to fit the decoder.

While I would expect the 21 pin to fit there are a couple of issues:

1) Has it enough functions to work the extras - 6 as I recall?

2) Even with this is it capable of being set to match the apparently subtle undefined  Dapol requirements?

The board you need to remove is the one with the lighting switches on; this will then allow the decoder to fit.

I used a Gaugemaster 21 pin  4 function and while the dmu moves well the lighting is really peculiar; I've been waiting for initial issue of the 122 for someone to produce a fully compatible decoder.

Sound is another interesting problem if you want say a Locosound v4 to fit

Basil

• RMweb Gold

While I would expect the 21 pin to fit there are a couple of issues:

1) Has it enough functions to work the extras - 6 as I recall?

2) Even with this is it capable of being set to match the apparently subtle undefined Dapol requirements?

The board you need to remove is the one with the lighting switches on; this will then allow the decoder to fit.

I used a Gaugemaster 21 pin 4 function and while the dmu moves well the lighting is really peculiar;

Mine has a Lenz Silver 21. It has five functions and works perfectly. Some retailers incorrectly describe the Silver 21 as being 4 functions but it is 5. Edited by Tony_S