The Steam Bankers Appreciation Society

• RMweb Gold

Excellent. At the moment I'm kind of hoping we go on to the second page as this one is so video-heavy it struggles to load!

Edit: Mission accomplished.

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Was going through my late fathers photos during a visit to my mum at Christmas, living near Bromsgrove in the 1950's and 60's he had take lots of photos on the Lickey Bank. This photo though seemed to stand out as unusual?

attachicon.gifbanker.jpg

Possibly the most spectacular view from the beaver-tail observation saloon? Terry Essery, op. cit., describes standing on the verandah of a break van being banked by Big Bertha up the Lickey - an overwhelming experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's an interesting article on working the Lickey Incline, includes the story where in March 1950, when ex-LMS Garratt 47972 arrived at Bromsgrove with 42 loaded wagons and was banked up Lickey by 69999. The train stalled half-way and had to be rescued by 58100 'BIG BERTHA'.

http://lickeyincline.blogspot.com/2011/03/working-lickey-incline-1949-1956.html

I believe this is a photo of the event.

post-898-0-81806900-1541428168.png

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8541849931

The article also features these images.

800px-LNER_U1_class_Garratt_2395_%252528

The U1 banking an O4

To_the_top_of_the_Lickey_Bank_at_Blackwe

9F banking on the Lickey.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Would like to see that!

I note that (what I presume is) 92079 in the photo above has a tail lamp - did these have to be moved before the bankers could proceed back down the incline or were they left on?

• RMweb Gold

For descending the bank light engine, the loco had to carry a head lamp on the tender and a tail lamp on the front buffer beam; the later Hymeks and 37s also had to display the correct markers for the direction they were travelling in.

The rules for bank engines on Lickey were different to those elsewhere; in fact they were totally against all normal block working. Each loco carried a head and tail lamp throughout; they weren't removed between individual locos. Each banker would join and drop off the train independently; they were not coupled together but would then be buffered up in whichever direction of movement. Descending bankers would be propelled through the crossover by the trailing one, and once on the gradient all steam shut off leaving the leading loco control the locos' speed with its brakes.

Strictly speaking, each banker constituted a train in its own right so, including the banked train, you could effectively have five trains in one section.

• Like 1

I have seen - but can't locate where - a sequence of photos showing trains banked on the Lickey by one, two, three, and four 3F 0-6-0Ts.

I've seen that sequence on one of my B+R videos too, not sure which one though. Edit below.

Sorry, made a mistake, it's Vol 6 from the Steam World Archive series, highlights a 9F hauled oil train on the Lickey banked by 4 Pannier tanks.

Edited by Carnforth

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Born in Bewdley I heard, but don't remember, stories of excursions to South Wales that used theTenbury branch to Wooferton, I would have thought these needed banking through the Wyre Forest.

The track bed has quite an incline on it any ideas?

Am sure Tony Barfield mentions one of these trains....just checked, 6388 piloted by 4100 which came off at Woofferton. The proper Great Western way....!!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Davey. Thanks for posting, seeing a Fairburn and a Flying Pig working together made my day (if only an ex-LBSC E4 had worked its way into the mix, but one can still dream^_^).

Edited by CinderMonkey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have seen it, but not there. Bertha counted as two engines; I'm not sure about the Garratt but at least two. If the two came on to the bank engine siding one behind the other and the next train wanted three bankers, these are what hit would get. It might have happened more than once as the system didn't allow a mix and match of bankers with the trains.

• Like 1