Upgrading the 7mm Dapol Autocoach Interior

brossard

My friend recently bought the basic Dapol Autocoach.  He and I were both puzzled over references to DCC and even sound so opted for the non DCC version.  Having seen the model, which is lovely:

post-5932-0-71317600-1515182606_thumb.jpg

it is obvious that the interior needs to be lit.

I'm wondering if anyone has added DCC lighting to the basic model.  Perhaps there's a kit of bits.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

it is obvious that the interior needs to be lit.

When the prototype cars were in use - they disappeared c1960 - carriage lighting was nothing like as bright as it is today. In fact, it would have been best described as dim and, although you could see from outside that the lighting was on at night, it didn't help you to see much detail of the interior - and, if it was cold and damp out, the windows would have all been steamed up anyway.

So, instead of lights I need a fug generator.  :jester:  I don't see things being operated in the dark so perhaps lighting isn't necessary.

John

I also bought the non DCC version and agree it's a top model.

I reckon it wouldn't be hard to make some pick ups and wire LED's via bridge rectifier and resistors to give a poor internal light.

• 2 months later...

Well, the lighting hasn't gone anywhere so I changed the title.

Over the last couple of days I have been working on the coach interior:

post-5932-0-35211600-1521250652_thumb.jpg

post-5932-0-55210300-1521250669_thumb.jpg

The main job was to cover the seats and I found a suitable pattern on the interthingy.  I used self adhesive full page sized address labels. 

Next I turned my attention to the partitions.  These I wrenched out, breaking some locating pips in the process.  I drilled and glued in 0.032" wire to replace them.

First, I printed some pictures on to a label sheet and cut these out.

I painted the partitions with Humbrol Matte Sand (#32 IIRC), a colour Mike Trice recommends to simulate varnished teak.  This required two coats.  I used a Letraset marker to mark the frames and stuck the pictures in.

To try to stop the thinner attacking the paint I sprayed the partitions with matte varnish to make a barrier.

I wanted to get a sort of varnished teak look on the partitions.  My method was to use Tamiya Panel Lining Wash to darken the partitions.  It dried too dark, so, following Tamiyas instruction, I brushed on enamel thinner to light the effect.  This took several tries until was happy, letting things dry between attempts.  I sparayed on 2 coats of gloss varnish (Testors Glosscote) and the effect is quite pleasing I think.

Passengers are from Omen Miniatures.  Guard is from Heroes of the Footplate.

Since I took the pictures, I sanded the outer seat edges and ran a marker along the white edge to give it a more finished look.  You can't actually see it. 

I put the interior back in the coach:

post-5932-0-86242900-1521250890_thumb.jpg

post-5932-0-17032900-1521250906_thumb.jpg

Note the driver in his compartment.  He is from Montys Models.

I'm painting the glazing Humbrol sand, like the partitions, and I'll varnish this tomorrow.  I'll rub off the old glue marks before fitting the glazing.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 11

Getting back to lights, I realized that I have a pack of 6 DCC Concepts Nano Amber LEDs.  Given the archaic nature of the prototype, I reckon the colour is about right.  Can someone provide pointers about arranging these in a row on the roof and the resistor requirements?  Am I connecting these in parallel or series?  The pack comes with resistors.  I have an old NCE decoder.

John

Hi Larry.  I based them on a photo I found which has varnished wood.  Interior sides look like varnished wood as well.  I wanted to get the main things done and leave other things impressionistic.

I do have a picture in my files that matches your description though.

I was just admiring what you did to yours, the crimson does look better.  This belongs to a friend so I have restrain myself.

John

Edited by brossard

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2019 at 20:06, brossard said:

Bump to get it on Content I Started

I have followed your work with interest and found it a useful guide to my own reccent xmas purchase.

I did DIY DCC fitting which works out considerably cheaper that than buying the Dapol kit. Its straight forward to do as there were already wheel pickups.  I moved the speaker to the driver end  to ensure the Gong sound (comes from the right end and to provide distance from the engine sound). Aslo allows removal of the ugly speaker housing and the inclusion of some baggage.

I have applied wood effect to the partitions using a slightly different oil paint technique - which seems to be effective, but took a very long time to dry. So first question @brossard is whether you applied the varnish technique to the underlying coach side or to the glazing? Secondly I see some photos showing carriage prints on the sides as well as partitions - did you fix them? Thought they might distract from the glazing gaps.

I found a picture of one autocoach with arm rests, so made some seat ends and fitted those as well (no idea if this type of autocoach had them tough) to draw the eye away from the glazing fittments. I liked your moquette idea, but decided in the end not to include as I didnt think I would achieve as neat a finish as you did.  Lastly added modelu figures. Remaining job is to dim the lighting a bit more - want to get to a nearer prototypical light level, but still see the passengers and interior - given the effort!

I wouldn't mind having a go at fitting DCC controlled lighting.  However, the coach is not mine and the owner isn't immediately interested.  Maybe at some point.

I focused on the partitions more than the sides since these are more visible.  I think I used Martyn Welch's method which is to say that I started with (probably) Humbrol natural wood and, while the paint was still wet, scumbled black enamel into it.  This was smoothed to get the effect you see.  You have to use something that is slow drying, acrylic is not suitable.

I did find interior pics from one or two sources (I can't remember where now) so copied those.  I made pictures from examples I found on interthingy, scaling them down.

Moquette finish is OK but not perfect.  Self adhesive address labels are useful things.

Thanks for the interest and, if I have helped you, so much the better.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2021 at 16:54, Hal Nail said:

I fact every time I look now i see the unpainted controls!

What colours would you paint them? Googling the subject show sometimes the regulator painted black and others red.

Also anyone found (no) smoking transfers for 7mm?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, brossard said:

Thanks, I should have made clear I was after the GW ones which included "smoking" like the 4mm ones below4207-1.jpg

But your suggestion in the absence of the above in 7mm is helpful - trying to work out if the triangles are the same! I think "smoking" was dropped but they lingered on for a while which is why wanted include

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stephennicholson said:

What colours would you paint them? Googling the subject show sometimes the regulator painted black and others red.

Also anyone found (no) smoking transfers for 7mm?

For my A33 I've been using the spirit of these taken at Didcot. I don't have lighting inside so aim for the right fleeting impression rather than strict accuracy. That earlier GWR N coach has been sold on to help fund the conversion I'm doing into a 70 footer.

CPL appear to do triangles, not sure about the smoking.

https://www.cplproducts.net/transfers--prints.html

DSC_0157.JPG.99170d77b1b39504ce372a0a955823e9.JPGDSC_0161.JPG.437bd59bb65db7955d11eeade1b7585c.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The instructions with the coach tell you how to remove the roof.

The interior components are clipped in, so some finger manipulation is needed to remove them.

I did have trouble getting the roof back but finally managed it by filing the lugs slightly.

John

• RMweb Premium

I've had a few of these passing through and getting the roof off the first time is tricky. Apply gentle but firm downward and forward pressure at various points and eventually it will give.

Its easier after the first time 

I have now brought out the interior and now want to re-colour the seats, because I don't like the colour from Dapol. As I live in Austria, I am not very well informed about English railways, but I am now a fan of English gauge 0 products and especially of Dapol.I own the same wagon as the one from brossard and I am asking if any of you know what the original colour of the seats is?

Best regards
Werner