help request on fitting sound chip

antonyvw

I have the Hornby railroad edition of the Flying Scotsman (R3086) to which I want to fit a sound chip. The engine is DCC ready with the socket being in the loco. The only place to put the speaker is obviously in the tender.

As the wires are to short to reach from loco to tender I was wondering what wire I need to extend the wires to reach?

Also as the engine and tender are not permanently connected is it better to use a socket of some sort? (If so what socket to use?)

Or permanently link the two together? And again what is best method to do so?

thanks for the help

I have the Hornby railroad edition of the Flying Scotsman (R3086) to which I want to fit a sound chip. The engine is DCC ready with the socket being in the loco. The only place to put the speaker is obviously in the tender.

As the wires are to short to reach from loco to tender I was wondering what wire I need to extend the wires to reach?

Also as the engine and tender are not permanently connected is it better to use a socket of some sort? (If so what socket to use?)

Or permanently link the two together? And again what is best method to do so?

thanks for the help

This is what I use for speaker wire

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/decoder-wire--brown--30awg.aspx

I installed the standard X6311 4-pin plug and socket across the void and ditched the electric drawbar on my A4. If you strip the electrical bits off the drawbar it can still be used with the tender post. The four wires take the tender pickups to the socket in the loco and carry the speaker wires to the tender.

Other folk have reported fitting a cube speaker in the smokebox area of the FS to avoid having to wire to a remote speaker in the tender.

Edit: Be carefull when soldering to a speaker as the magnet will grab the iron. I tape my speaker to the bench to avoid this.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96