Second hand Duchess

Simond

Bit more progress.  The bogie clashed with the front brakes, but a bit of modification (heat up, bent levers) and reinstalled with adequate clearance.

The pony truck is now very heavy, and its propensity to derail seems to have diminished...  we shall see if that is good enough.  I might have to reduce it a bit due to it just touching the speaker support.

image.jpg.d263724a1e38385b8f489cc2d7520f80.jpg

I’ve also started to add some ashpan detail to the bottom of the firebox, to fill the rather obvious gap, and to further hide the loudspeaker.  I’m grateful to Paul for his recent post on WT of photos of City of Birmingham, they’ve been most helpful.

image.jpg.c4227c004f0612e51195bc9c4bc32b6f.jpg

I drilled out the tender brake hangers whilst I was doing the chassis mods.  I need to make or source a water scoop.

Haven't started to do sandpipes yet...

best

Simon

• Like 4

Rod,

thank you for the kind comment!  The tender brakes are currently in progress, after which, a little more detail in the cab, and a crew, and we’ll call it quits.  

I’m going to fit a multi-pin connector, so that I can fit R/C gear, and thus disconnect the decoder & pick-ups.  I’m interested in BPRC, and as she definitely doesn’t belong in a 1930-era GW locoshed, she’s the perfect test bed.

More soon

cheers

Simon

Tender brakes and scoop fitted.

Needs a crew, some seats, a reverser, some other bits in the cab, glazing on the side windows and cinder guards.

I think I’ve got one of the injectors wrong & need to revisit that, along with some hoses to the tender.

and she still needs sandpipes...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

no, I don't know what happened, but I wrote a description last night, and posted it, and when I came to add the photo this morning, it had disappeared.  Perhaps I didn't hit the "post" button.

Anyway, it is a couple of 18650 Lithium cells, arranged 2s style, under the piece of MDF, and the voltage booster (bare PCB) and the Tam Valley receiver, (wrapped pcb), on top, plugged into the loco decoder by means of a rather unattractive umbilical.

I was persuaded that perhaps my earlier measurements did not take into account that the cells I had purchased were actually rubbish and that the fault lay there rather than in the booster or receiver.  I wasn't convinced that this was the problem, but I was convinced measure the output of the cells I had.  They are rubbish - not sure if that's the bottom line, but we shall see.  We did a relatively high current draw using a 24V halogen bulb as a load, and looked at the voltage drop, which was much more than expected.

So I purchased two "brand name" 18650s and fit them - weather permitting, we can run tomorrow at John's so we will see whether my experiments were less clear than I had at first concluded.  It would be nice to be wrong, because that would then mean that the loco could be set up properly as a BPRC, with synch'ed sound. 

More soon

best

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Forgot to mention, I have now received the Modelu driver and fireman (thanks Alan) and have knocked up a reverser and some other missing cab fittings from brass and plasticard.  Will get these painted and installed over the next week or so.  Pix to follow

best

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Actually, it was quite pale brown, Range Ales’ “Double Tap”, at the Prince of Wales, in Palmarsh, outside Hythe in Kent.  Most of the lads drink the mild, but I prefer a good bitter if there’s one going.  And it was good.

Pete, I know where you’re coming from, we’re in France tonight, where all the beer is the same... not (though it used to be).  There’s a very nice early-doors bar about 500m from where we stay, that has over 400 locally brewed bottled beers, and 10 or 11 on tap, ranging from blanche to black, maybe one third of them are organic, and no, I haven’t tried them all.  Yet.

Anyone in the Hythe locality is welcome to drop me a pm, we’d love to meet fellow modellers.

not much modelling this weekend :)

simon

• Like 1

Oh to have beer on hand......Any colour beer would be nice! Living in a dry country, the only way I get beer is by driving an hour and filling my passport with yet more stamps to cross the border :sadclear:It does mean that more of the parts I solder together are actually straight though ;-)

• 5 months later...

Crew added to ‘er ladyships cab...

image.jpg.ad6e6863557ed6c14be12462d60104ec.jpg

And they've got seats, well, there’s posh.

(they also serve, who stand/sit and wait)

image.jpg.0037fddc9d5ea9f12d1bd2a059d90cb8.jpg

Coal, sandpipes & speedo drive to add, then I think that’s about it.   I’ve taken the radio gear out too, so she’s plain DCC with sound now.  She doesn’t belong on Porth Dinllaen, and she’s too big for my mate’s garden line, so I think I’m probably going to sell her.

atb

Simon

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 10 months later...

And this story ends, she was delivered to her new owner yesterday, and I was delighted to watch her lapping  his lovely layout several times at speed.  

I guess, more importantly, he seemed pretty happy too!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Hello Simon, l have been offered a duchess really cheap, but battered to death, on reading your thread through l am very tempted to buy it, and have a go at resurrecting her back to life, thanks for the encouragement, regards...

George,

if I’ve provided a bit of inspiration, I’m honoured!  

if your battered cheap Duchess came from a reputable kit supplier, and has the “big bits” in decent order, go for it, but if not, beware, you could spend a lot of time, money and effort polishing a ....

if you decide to go ahead, and I can provide any more info, please don’t hesitate to drop me a pm or whatever.

atb

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Simond said:

George,

if I’ve provided a bit of inspiration, I’m honoured!  

if your battered cheap Duchess came from a reputable kit supplier, and has the “big bits” in decent order, go for it, but if not, beware, you could spend a lot of time, money and effort polishing a ....

if you decide to go ahead, and I can provide any more info, please don’t hesitate to drop me a pm or whatever.

atb

Simon

Much obliged Simon, and thank you..

• Like 1