50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Morning Steve,

You know I think you're right. 

It was the last frame on the film and I've always believed that I took it from the train leaving 10F, but . . . it might just as easily have been 10D at 17:20 and it does look more like Lostock Hall.

It was definitely the last shot I took of a 'working' shed on August 2nd, honest!

All the best,

John.

Still a poignant photo for a sad end to a wonderful hobby at that time.  I lived in Macclesfield and was lucky to see the last 2 to 2 1/2 years of real steam, but managed to get as far as Carlisle, the West Riding and Liverpool plus once to the Southern.  School holiday trips to 9D and sitting on Victoria were fun.

I visited 10F only twice, and am now building a model of same, so sad that your camera took a tumble and no more shots of 10F.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

@ Old Gringo

Another super post there, John, for 2nd August. I particularly liked the first shot of the loco blowing off in the shed yard.

I am intrigued by the train times at Carnforth. It looks like you boarded the same train bound for Preston that I had just got off travelling from Arnside! If you keep a record of such things it was pulled by D324. I then followed you a few minutes later on the 09.59 southbound which had come from Carlisle pulled by D1848. If I'm reading the timetable correctly your train and mine combined at Lancaster, so we were both on the same train from there to Preston. Spooky!

I had to look twice at your shot of 44806 - it's on the East Lancs side of Preston station, isn't it? I never really explored that part very much, the goods facilities on the left threw me at first.

Not long to go now, so I had better get my 3rd August memories up and running.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

Still a poignant photo for a sad end to a wonderful hobby at that time.  I lived in Macclesfield and was lucky to see the last 2 to 2 1/2 years of real steam, but managed to get as far as Carlisle, the West Riding and Liverpool plus once to the Southern.  School holiday trips to 9D and sitting on Victoria were fun.

I visited 10F only twice, and am now building a model of same, so sad that your camera took a tumble and no more shots of 10F.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve

I think you are confusing John (Old Gringo) and me (Trevor) - I was the one with the camera which came to grief in Lostock Hall, but I did manage a shot or two at Rose Grove (10F) the next day, which will appear in my next post. Fortunately the camera was still working although I could not be sure at the time (scary!)

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 2

Hi Steve

I think you are confusing John (Old Gringo) and me (Trevor) - I was the one with the camera which came to grief in Lostock Hall, but I did manage a shot or two at Rose Grove (10F) the next day, which will appear in my next post. Fortunately the camera was still working although I could not be sure at the time (scary!)

Cheers

Trevor

Ooops, sorry about that.  Thanks both for the 'photos, very much enjoyed.  Looking forward to the 10F ones of course.

Steve

• Like 1

Saturday 4th August 1968

This turned out to be a strange day with a few vague moments as far as memories go, but ended with a blast I will never forget! Going by the photographs I took it seems to have been a dull, perhaps rainy, day. No doubt someone else can confirm this.

I caught the 09.23 dmu from Arnside to Carnforth, where it seems I met some (older) friends of mine who had travelled down from the Newcastle/Gateshead area by car. This must have been prearranged as it looks like I had my bag of belongings with me and I did not return to the Youth Hostel at the end of the day - no doubt it was stuffed in the boot of the car.

First stop was Lostock Hall shed, where the pictures seem to sum up steam right at the end. Perhaps if the sun had been shining it would have taken on a completely different aspect.

attachicon.gif(619cS) 70013+48473 Lostock Hall 03-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

attachicon.gif(620a) 48493+70013+48476 Lostock Hall MPD 03-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

There seems to be about six frames missing between my views at Carnforth shed the previous evening and today's Lostock Hall shots (above) which looks like I had taken the film out of the camera again and then reinserted it. I wonder if I needed a second opinion on it, after it had suffered from the fall, from one of my pals in the car?

Next up we headed for Rose Grove shed (10F), my first and only visit, and it looks like I only took two pictures.

attachicon.gif(612b) 48400+48773 Rose Grove MPD 03-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

That's 48400 on the left.

attachicon.gif(613b) 48278 Rose Grove MPD 03-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

The last Copy Pit banker, according to the inscription, a duty it shared with 48191 according to records elsewhere

Those two shed visits must each have taken only an hour or two but I have no recollection of what else happened that day, until the evening.

The following is based on something I wrote shortly afterwards to make sure I would never forget it....

Although BR's own final steam-hauled train (the famous 'Fifteen guinea Special') ran on 11th August 1968, the previous weekend witnessed the end of normal steam workings. Sunday saw a stream of 'specials' to mark the occasion; but for real, down-to-earth, as-we'd-always-known-it steam, Saturday 3rd August was the real finale.

And unbelievably, right at that eleventh hour, there were two passenger trains still rostered for steam-haulage. Even more amazingly they were both due away from the same station - Preston - within 35 minutes of each other. Appropriately both were 'Black Five' turns: the 20.50 to Blackpool South and the 21.25 to Liverpool Exchange. Due to the logistics of returning to base that night I opted for the former.

Now it could be argued that the number of railway enthusiasts during the 1960s increased as the number of steam locomotives remaining in active service decreased. Thus for every individual who captured on film his own personal view of the rapidly-changing railway scene in 1960, one hundred jostled for position in 1965 and one thousand scrummaged in 1968. On the evening of 3rd August it seems they all descended onto the platforms at Preston to make sure steam went out with a bang, not a whimper.

Shortly after 8pm one of Lostock Hall's last 'Black Fives', No 45212, arrived to a tremendous welcoming cheer to await the arrival of the Euston-Carlisle express, part of which would form the Blackpool train. Soon the diesel-hauled train ran in, the Blackpool coaches were uncoupled and the Carlisle portion was away. Excitement mounted as No 45212 prepared to couple up. The delirious crowd swarmed round as it set back onto the train and those who were going scrambled aboard as best they could. To say the train was packed would be an understatement: there was no room to move, not even in the corridor. I managed to find a space where I could just about see through a window on the left-hand side.

A coffin, adorned with the words 'Death of a Steam Locomotive' was paraded along the platform to the amazement of passengers (yes, there were some 'real' passengers aboard!) by men in mourning suits. Microphones were thrust from every window as we prepared to set off on this, the penultimate steam-hauled passenger train in Britain. Somewhere along the platform the guard's whistle struggled to make itself heard above the excitement; the familiar Stanier hooter blasted out in response; and then...

A dozen flashbulbs on the platform fired in unison as for the last time, the very last time, the north end of Preston station echoed to the sound of a 'Black Five' slipping momentarily, the noise almost drowned out by the cheering fans. No doubt this would be repeated in the send--off for the Liverpool train(*) 35 minutes later. Then we were away, past a forest of tripods and a frenzied mass of excited faces, off into history, off into a glorious sunset. For as we branched left for Blackpool I managed to glimpse the setting sun reflect a warm red glow off the locomotive and first coaches. Could we have asked for a better farewell?

On the outskirts of Blackpool we passed row upon row of waving, cheering, spectators. At the station itself there was a carnival atmosphere. The crew joined in, signing autographs; the fireman was even giving away pieces of coal as souvenirs! All too soon it was time to say goodbye and 45212 stormed out of the station with the empty stock to a spontaneous, emotional, helpless cheering. Steam had indeed gone out in style and life would never be the same again.

Phew, I need a lie down, now!

The last episode, tomorrow.

(*) As is well-documented, 45318 did the honours that night 

Cheers for now

Trevor

Thanks Trev for your photographic and written accounts of the last week of steam on BR. I unashamedly cried when I read tonight's post. Thank you for taking me back in time, to a far better time.

• Like 2

Postscript: As another little piece of history very quickly fell into place, here's another odd statistic: apparently there were 46,736 visitors to the 125 locomotive sheds on the London Midland Region during 1949.  I wonder what the figure was for the last London Midland Region sheds during the last 32 weeks of 1968? Source; page 33 of 'Railways' magazine No. 119 / 1950.

I would be interested in how those 1949 figures were arrived at. I'd presume that they were official, and came from permits issued (or did shedmasters have to report numbers allowed in?). But, if they are official, they raise the question - did nobody 'bunk' sheds in 1949?  

They certainly did in the 1960s. I never, personally, had a permit for a shed visit. I did go on a couple of 'society' visits, and a friend got permits for a week of shed visits on a Freedom of Scotland ticket. (We used most of them, but very few on the actual day for which they were issued.) Sometimes I asked permission at the shed office, sometimes not. From my last 'permitted' visit, in August 1965, till my last shed visit in September 1968, I made 41 visits to sheds, and I was by no means the busiest spotter.

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine that the bulk of those LMR visits in 1949 were from Crewe and Derby, associated with works visits.

I used to try to ask permission, but in some places you'd effectively bunked the shed before you found anyone to ask.  Stourton in Leeds was very friendly; I asked permission and a spare fireman showed me around, followed by a lift to Leeds City on 43106; this was summer 1967.  But you couldn't get around Holbeck for love nor money; it was entered though a hole in the wall door in the street which led straight in to the office; Bath Road in Bristol was similar.

I never had any problem at all with any of the sheds still open to steam in 1968, and there were plenty around who had, like me, no business being there.  It is perhaps surprising that nobody got hurt, but AFAIK nobody did.  Even I shiver with horror at my 1963 bunk of Wolverhampton Oxley, in thick November fog and across running lines...

• Like 2

There's a good version on the Dead's triple live album recorded I think in the Concertgeboeuw in the Netherlands a few years later. Sadly I no longer have the album - it was acquired jointly with another lad in settlement of some schoolboy debt, and I lost touch with the co-owner, as you do.

I only found out the other day that the original was written by Canadian folk singer Bonnie Dobson and then later modified by Tim Rose. My favourite version is with Rod Stewart on vocals off the Jeff Beck 'Truth' album. I did see Tim Rose perform it live in 1975 at, most appropriately, the Camden Roundhouse.

BTW Hattons have put a page up on the 50th anniversary - they should have consulted with a few of the posters on this thread as they have totally stuffed up the events for 4 August.

Edited by bingley hall

Thanks to Trevor and John for their accounts of the last days of steam, far more informative than the "news" report a couple of months later in the railway press.

If only there was on line streaming 50 years ago.

And thank you for your valid point (on another new thread) regarding the all diesel/electric timetable which began when steam ended.

Cheers

Trevor

Been following this thread with interest and enjoying the pics. I travelled on that July '68 steam-hauled train to Windermere from Carnforth and then back to Preston tender-first. I still have my log of the run. This link will take you to a picture taken at Windermere.

http://www.steamfinale.co.uk/html/othe_places_2_63.html

The picture was published in "Steam Railway" 10 years ago and I was subsequently contacted by a retired engineman from Lostock Hall who enjoyed the occasional reunion with, amongst others, the crew of 45110 on that day. It was a pleasure to be able to send some A4 prints in response.

Must go and sit on the patio and cry into a cold beer. :cry:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well 4th of August 1968. At the time I was 15, just taken my O levels and was living in Giggleswick. It was the summer holidays and a Sunday. It would have started, as usual with chapel and Sunday School with my parents. This was at St John's Methodist chapel in Settle, right next to the S & C on the west side of the line at the north end of the viaduct. Settle Parish Church was on the opposite side of the embankment with the Settle Up Distant signal on the embankment between the two. Never the twain did meet in those days. After lunch I know that I got on my Raleigh bike and cycled to Hellifield along the A65. Not something that I would attempt today. I can't remember all the events of the day but do remember standing on the platform surrounded by pairs of steam locos, obviously mainly Black 5's. However from Trev's photos there must have been at least one BR Standard. There seemed to be double headed trains coming from all directions and there were often two in the station at the same time with locos taking water and pulling up for the 2nd loco to get to the stand.

Hazy memories but I was in heaven. I do remember one young fireman, a lot of them seemed to be only about 20 to me, asking for someone to send him copies of photos that were taken.

I can't remember if any of the locos were detached and turned but do remember lots of movement and steam. The lovely all pervading smell of working steam. In fact it's so attractive to males that I did suggest to my other half that it should be bottled as a perfume. For some obscure reason the idea was not well received.

I think I stayed a couple of hours and eventually pedalled the 6 miles back home to Giggleswick, tired but happy.

I'd still got the following Sunday to look forward to but there was a real sense that this was the end.

That's it till the 11th.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

This is a great thread, and is bringing back the mixed emotions I had at the time. I was sad that steam had gone; not so much *that* it had gone but the speed at which it had happened. However, I was also amazed at the efforts put in by enthusiasts and staff alike in order for steam not to disgrace itself before finally bowing out. 

Thanks very much to all who have contributed with memories and photos. I couldn't afford to travel far in those days and so piggybacking on other peoples accounts and envying their experiences; and now their recollections, was my only choice. 

• Like 6

Used Photobox for a few - can be good quality but expensive.

Is that just a mock-up, Trevor - or did you make a book?

Have you made it available for others to buy or was it just for your own use?

Tony

Bonusprint, - frequent offers of 60 or 70% off. Very very good software and excellent reproduction.  Do the design of a 80 or 120 page book and wait for the offers.

https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Almost too late for the party, but I reckon I got in by the skin of my teeth.

I threatened a few posts back to add my spotting notes of Patricroft and Newton Heath. Well after frantic box searching and opening in the garage, regrettably, not as exciting as what others have posted, but, I present for your edification the following.

I only became intereted in railways and train spotting some time in 1967, so I never was caught up in the general excitement and amazement of steam locomotives, and therefore the end of steam wasn't such a big deal for me, (tin hat on, head down!), Living in Sheffield, steam was pretty much finished by the time I started, so, by the time of my first official train spotting trip to Sheffield Midland the only 2 steam engines I saw were 44708 and 45562 Alberta, and annoyingly, I didn't realise recording the date of your trip was an integral part of the hobby, so I don't know exactly when it was. I have vague recollections of cycling out to Rotherham and seeing a few steam engines on the old road, but this must have been what whetted my appetite to start spotting officially, as I didn't even take any notes then, this spotting lark was a steep learning curve!

As I got more into the swing of things I explored more corners of the Sheffield railway network, non more so than Sheffield Victoria. At the time I schooled at the NE side of Sheffield but we had just moved to the south side, so my school journey involved an hours bus ride via the city centre, going down the Wicker and under the Wicker Arches. As my Dad worked on the far side of the city too I developed a plan to get the bus home from school and drop off at Victoria, do about a couple of hours spotting, then be collected by my Dad.

Now, all this is a roundabout way of explaining how I found out about the impending end of steam. The staff at Victoria were really friendly, and I spent quite a lot of time on the footplates of various EM1's, and was told about steams finale, and how the EM1 drivers would see steam locos at Guide Bridge, So, impoverished little old me set about earning some spending money and getting across the Pennines before it was too late.

Undated first visit.

I must not have known about Newton Heath on this visit as on the page at the side of the notes are instructions for the buses to Patricroft, (64 to Peel Green, alight at Franklin Street), and Longsight, (91/2/3/4/5/6 to East Didsbury, alight at Kirkmanshulme Lane)

Guide Bridge and area.

48252. 45046. 45312.

Patricroft.

48212. 73010. 44864. 45282. 73131. 48609. 73035. 45285. 73143. 70012. 44858. 48543. 48307. 48390. 73138. 73067. 73033. 48338. 48325. 73053. 48749. 48700. 73128. 48775. 48491. 48287. 48555. 48327. 73136. 73034. 73133. 73126. 48132. 73134. 73135. 73142. 73132. 73157. 73125. 73000.

Patricroft.

92218. 48170. 45287. 44777. 73133. 45055. 48467. 48212. 48775. 73010. 48327. 48549. 48267. 73126. 73040. 45187. 48749. 73132. 73157. 73000. 48453. 73067. 73142. 73135. 73132. 48491. 48325. 73128. 73125. 48553. 48282. 73143. 48033. 73053. 73043. 73136. 73128. 48338. 73134.

Dated between 25.5.68. and 7.6.68 if my notebook is to be believed.

Patricroft.

48373. 45055. 73050. 48467. 92218. 73010. 73157. 73134. 48390. 73133. 44777. 73125. 48170. 48267. 48549. 73126. 73040. 48749. 73132. 73000. 48453. 73067. 73142. 73135. 48491. 48325. 73138. 48553. 73143. 73128. 48212. 48338. 45287. 45282. 45187.

Patricroft.

48390. 48170. 48491. 48033.73050. 73143. 48549. 48267. 73135. 73142. 48325. 73138. 73010. 44777. 73134. 48327. 48212. 45187. 48374. 48282. 48467. 48338. 73133. 73125.

Newton Heath. Discovered at last!

44780. 48529. 48620. 48687. 44891. 44884. 44818. 48373. 48132. 48356. 44890. 45203. 44845. 45411. 45254. 48746. 44949. 48553. 48678. 48612. 48368. 44803. 45255. 44910. 45076. 45202. 45240. 48321. 48369.

Apolgies for the somewhat number heavy content, but such was the nature of the beast! I've also left out the diesels.

Mike.

• Like 9

Here are some of the photos I took at Lostock Hall shed on 4th August 1968

attachicon.gif2015-12-01_3.JPG

attachicon.gif2015-12-01_4.JPG

attachicon.gif2015-12-01_6.JPG

attachicon.gif2015-12-01_8.JPG

attachicon.gif2015-12-01_9.JPG

I think the pictures of the 8Fs were taken at Rose Grove, not Lostock Hall. All 5 of them were withdrawn from Rose Grove and were there in the shed yard on September 3 1968.

Been following this thread with interest and enjoying the pics. I travelled on that July '68 steam-hauled train to Windermere from Carnforth and then back to Preston tender-first. I still have my log of the run. This link will take you to a picture taken at Windermere.

http://www.steamfinale.co.uk/html/othe_places_2_63.html

The picture was published in "Steam Railway" 10 years ago and I was subsequently contacted by a retired engineman from Lostock Hall who enjoyed the occasional reunion with, amongst others, the crew of 45110 on that day. It was a pleasure to be able to send some A4 prints in response.

Must go and sit on the patio and cry into a cold beer. :cry:

That's a great picture and a great story. I enjoyed lots of the other pictures on that site too!

A similar thing happened to me when the son of a driver I had photographed contacted me and I sent him a print.

Trevor

• Like 1

I think the pictures of the 8Fs were taken at Rose Grove, not Lostock Hall. All 5 of them were withdrawn from Rose Grove and were there in the shed yard on September 3 1968.

Agreed, that looks exactly like Rose Grove to me....and I have studied many photographs!   :boast:

Steve

Thanks for pointing that out. We visited Rose Grove, Lostock Hall and Carnforth that day along with photographing the specials and my notes are long lost.

• RMweb Premium

Apolgies for the somewhat number heavy content, but such was the nature of the beast! I've also left out the diesels.

Mike.

To anyone modelling the last months of steam (there's a whole thread elsewhere on this), your notes are very informative but confirm that it would be very easy to have far too much variety of locos.  It would seem that by May-June '68, probably 90% of the remaining steam locos were Black 5s and 8s, in fact I was surprised to see so many Standard 5s in your lists.

, in fact I was surprised to see so many Standard 5s in your lists.

Really ?? In the last couple of years of steam the attraction of the 20 Caprotti Standard 5's was the lone reason why I went to Patricroft shed so often, fortunate in being one of the last sheds open, it gained a reputation for it's handling of the class, with the last conventional valve-geared versions ending up there as well. Although a little slower in acceleration, the Caprotti's proved to be more economical runners as long as not too much was asked of them.