50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Many thanks Tony

Some wonderful photos in there - not only of 75027. And funnily enough theres a shot of her on Grassington branch traffic in the Steam Days I looked at in Smiths today...

See she is missing her smokebox door number plate in the Oxenholme picture which fits with the suggestion she subsequently acquired a home made one although 75027/s was rather better than those on the Caprotti 5s at Patricroft

Phil

Just a note on the livery of 75027 in those last days, for any future modeller. While her tender was noticeably green, the loco itself appeared virtually 'black with oil sheen' (Improved Engine Green, anyone?) and quite a few of us on 28 July were initially convinced that tender and loco were mismatched. I don't think I've ever seen any colour images of 75027 around then, but the contrast was quite noticeable. 

Just thought I'd put that on record before my memory goes to the neurological equivalent of Woodhams, if I'm lucky, or Cashmores if I'm not!

• Like 3

There was a BR.Standard 4 working our of Shrewsbury in the last months of steam which was mismatched. Loco was lined green and Tender lined black....or vice-versa. It is featured on a B&R Video but I have so many covering this area that it would be a job finding it.

• Like 1

I was also at Ribblehead on Saturday,

Before we get too much older, a few more from my 1T57 day on Saturday, hopefully in the spirit of the thread.

post-16151-0-14362600-1534266345_thumb.jpg

Here is a clearer photo of 'The Waverley' charter, crossing Ribblehead viaduct. 45690 'Leander' at the business end. Very much a personal favourite of mine although a) I don't care very much for her current livery of BR lined black - she'll always be LMS 5690 in glorious crimson lake to me! b) diesel in attendance due to fire risk and it was doing its fair share of shoving c) not a prototypical 1968 loco. BUT, it was about history and 'being there'. There were at least two others there who were staking out their spot from 50 years ago. Train passed through some 20-25 mins late at 12:45. And - wonder of wonders - the sun was actually shining. At Ribblehead!

post-16151-0-48638700-1534266517_thumb.jpg

And then, in true end-of-steam, MNA tradition, I set off in frantic pursuit of more trains! A 160mile, three hour dash via M6 and A50 took me to Loughborough where the GCR was hosting an end-of-steam gala. Star of the show was of course the 1T57 engine, 70013 Oliver Cromwell. Slightly disappointed that my only chance to see it coincided with it running tender first. This was the 16:00 off Loughborough - funnily enough, also running 20-25 mins late. BUT, symbolic again, I saw her working, 50 years to the day.

post-16151-0-05704300-1534266602_thumb.jpg

Final shot and full credit to the lads n lasses at the GCR who had gone to some trouble to recreate one of the end-of-steam specials from 4th August. This is 8F 48624, renumbered as 48476, double-heading with 73156, renumbered as 73069. The GW liveried stock is a bit incongruous and the '8' is sporting an early crest but otherwise a credible effort, very much in the spirit of the day.

To conclude on a modelling note: we're at the Leeds model railway show 27th/28th October with Shap, running in 1967 end-of-steam mode. So plenty of Black 5s, Britannias, 8Fs and 9Fs rubbing shoulders with diesels and blue n grey stock. Do say 'hi' if you get to see us there.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15

Just a note on the livery of 75027 in those last days, for any future modeller. While her tender was noticeably green, the loco itself appeared virtually 'black with oil sheen' (Improved Engine Green, anyone?) and quite a few of us on 28 July were initially convinced that tender and loco were mismatched. I don't think I've ever seen any colour images of 75027 around then, but the contrast was quite noticeable. 

Just thought I'd put that on record before my memory goes to the neurological equivalent of Woodhams, if I'm lucky, or Cashmores if I'm not!

With respect, if you enlarge Trevors excellent pic on post#662, although it's black and white you can still make out the distinct orange-black-orange lining on both loco and tender that it received at Eastleigh 3 years earlier.

Last week's post (666) was all about chasing the specials on the 4th August 1968 and ended with the sentence, "How very lucky we've all been over those last fifty years" and lately I'm always turning up reasons to believe that statement.  However, fifty years ago it really was a different planet.

"It's All Over Now" was a hit for the Rolling Stones in July 1964 (two months before the last of the magnificent Stanier Pacifics were withdrawn) and now that August 11th has passed the steamy nostalgia trip really is all over now for at least another ten years!  Using similar riffs, the Stones March 1965 hit was, "The Last Time" and 50 years ago, it certainly appeared that August 11th would be the last time we would be lucky enough to see a steam locomotive in action on the main lines of British railways [1].  It's just as well that there were plenty of pop-tastic tunes in the Sixties, and how apt was Jimmy Ruffin's October 1966 hit, "What becomes of the broken hearted?" for all enthusiasts of the steam locomotive in August 1968?

The Epilogue - 1T57 and afterwards

As usual it seems I'm late with a report of what I vaguely remember from August 11th 1968.  My notebook says that we went to Manchester Victoria, but also that they were charging more than the price of a pint for a platform ticket.  So, we went around the north side of the station and stood behind rows of barriers and railings to watch 45110 arrive with 1T57 and the engine change-over for free. 

post-10252-0-50927300-1534286996.jpg

I managed two snaps of '5110 arriving at Victoria and another shot including hundreds of round-heads bobbing about as 'Oliver Cromwell' approached in the distance.  It was just like visiting a rock concert today, when you buy the cheaper tickets!  However, before the departure, it seems that we went out to Kearsley and my last shot of a British Rail steam engine in action was taken on the bank near the power station.  Edit: Apologies for the quality of the 127 snaps.

post-10252-0-47204900-1534287039.jpg

Afterwards, we had a disconsolate walk around the deserted Patricroft shed; still full of lots of dead engines.  Then on the way home, we made a last journey across that creepy foot-bridge over the mucky waters of the River Mersey, to wander around the lifeless shell of Heaton Mersey shed.  Only four dead locomotives remained there; 44903, 45253, 45282 and 48117 and I took this final photograph of 45282 through one of the broken office windows.

post-10252-0-28346500-1534287077.jpg

And that was definitely it for me . . . . . . . at least for a couple of years!

Postscript:  On the weekend of August 4th, 2018, I found a copy of one of Edward Beal's Railway Modelling Series, a 1947 [?] paperback entitled, "Before You Begin" and whilst looking for another modelling book on my over-filled shelves, I turned up this text [2]:

Journey's End?

"So, we come to the end of our journey together.

"This is a sad time for many railway enthusiasts, who see today the final stage in the extinction of the individuality and character of our railways; a process which began with the 'Grouping' in 1923 . . . . .

It will indeed be a sad day for many  . . . but the modeller can help to keep alive the great traditions of the past . . . . as a reminder of the days when every railway had a 'personality' of its own.

"I write at a time of drab austerity, when all the forces of the world seem to be combined to crush out man's individuality.  Never was the recreation of a creative, imaginative hobby more needed.  In industry, 'craftsmanship for craftsmanship's sake' is all but dead, but we model makers can be among the select few to keep that great tradition alive.

"And so our journey ends; and I can only hope that it may have proved enjoyable to you."

Although written in 1948, the text applies almost exactly to the situation twenty years later in 1968 and IMHO some of the sentiments are still close to the mark in 2018.

I've really enjoyed being part of this topic's journey since January.  Thanks again to Trevor for beginning the story with his stunning photographs and to all the others who have kept it rolling, especially Jamie and Chris.

So, Journey's End, or just the start of some new chapters?

I think my therapy is all over now too.

Keep on Steaming, 

All the very best,
John.

Notes:

[1] Excepting 'Flying Scotsman', which was exempted from the 'steam ban'.

[2] An edited transcript of page 298 from "A book of Model Railways" by P.R. Wickham, published by Percival Marshall & Co. in January 1949.

• Like 17

For me this has been one of the most enjoyable topics so far on RMWeb and it isn't even about model railways. A big thank you from me to Trevor, John, Chris and everyone else who has contributed to this topic, especially the sharing of the many photographs and memories.

Alas in my part of the world we had no main line steam left, however our local pit (like so many others) still utilised steam into the 70s.

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With respect, if you enlarge Trevors excellent pic on post#662, although it's black and white you can still make out the distinct orange-black-orange lining on both loco and tender that it received at Eastleigh 3 years earlier.

In fairness to myself, a) I was eleven in 1968 and b) I grew up with Q6 and WD - we knew nowt about lining!

• Like 3

Last week's post (666) was all about chasing the specials on the 4th August 1968 and ended with the sentence, "How very lucky we've all been over those last fifty years" and lately I'm always turning up reasons to believe that statement.  However, fifty years ago it really was a different planet.

"It's All Over Now" was a hit for the Rolling Stones in July 1964 (two months before the last of the magnificent Stanier Pacifics were withdrawn) and now that August 11th has passed the steamy nostalgia trip really is all over now for at least another ten years!  Using similar riffs, the Stones March 1965 hit was, "The Last Time" and 50 years ago, it certainly appeared that August 11th would be the last time we would be lucky enough to see a steam locomotive in action on the main lines of British railways [1].  It's just as well that there were plenty of pop-tastic tunes in the Sixties, as how apt was Jimmy Ruffin's October 1966 hit, "What becomes of the broken hearted?" for all enthusiasts of the steam locomotive in August 1968?

The Epilogue - 1T57 and afterwards

As usual it seems I'm late with a report of what I vaguely remember from August 11th 1968.  My notebook says that we went to Manchester Victoria, but also that they were charging more than the price of a pint for a platform ticket.  So, we went around the north side of the station and stood behind rows of barriers and railings to watch 45110 arrive with 1T57 and the engine change-over for free. 

attachicon.gif45110 at Manchester Victoria.jpg

I managed two snaps of '5110 arriving at Victoria and another shot including hundreds of round-heads bobbing about as 'Oliver Cromwell' approached in the distance.  It was just like visiting a rock concert today, when you buy the cheaper tickets!  However, before the departure, it seems that we went out to Kearsley and my last shot of a British Rail steam engine in action was taken on the bank near the power station.  Edit: Apologies for the quality of the 127 snaps.

attachicon.gif70013 at Kearsley.jpg

Afterwards, we had a disconsolate walk around the deserted Patricroft shed; still full of lots of dead engines.  Then on the way home, we made a last journey across that creepy foot-bridge over the mucky waters of the River Mersey, to wander around the lifeless shell of Heaton Mersey shed.  Only four dead locomotives remained there; 44903, 45253, 45282 and 48117 and I took this final photograph of 45282 through one of the broken office windows.

attachicon.gif45282 at Heaton Mersey shed.jpg

And that was definitely it for me . . . . . . . at least for a couple of years!

Postscript:  On the weekend of August 4th, 2018, I found a copy of one of Edward Beal's Railway Modelling Series, a 1947 [?] paperback entitled, "Before You Begin" and whilst looking for another modelling book on my over-filled shelves, I turned up this text [2]:

Journey's End?

"So, we come to the end of our journey together.

"This is a sad time for many railway enthusiasts, who see today the final stage in the extinction of the individuality and character of our railways; a process which began with the 'Grouping' in 1923 . . . . .

It will indeed be a sad day for many  . . . but the modeller can help to keep alive the great traditions of the past . . . . as a reminder of the days when every railway had a 'personality' of its own.

"I write at a time of drab austerity, when all the forces of the world seem to be combined to crush out man's individuality.  Never was the recreation of a creative, imaginative hobby more needed.  In industry, 'craftsmanship for craftsmanship's sake' is all but dead, but we model makers can be among the select few to keep that great tradition alive.

"And so our journey ends; and I can only hope that it may have proved enjoyable to you."

Although written in 1948, the text applies almost exactly to the situation twenty years later in 1968 and IMHO some of the sentiments are still close to the mark in 2018.

I've really enjoyed being part of this topic's journey since January.  Thanks again to Trevor for beginning the story with his stunning photographs and to all the others who have kept it rolling, especially Jamie and Chris.

So, Journey's End, or just the start of some new chapters?

I think my therapy is all over now too.

Keep on Steaming, 

All the very best,

John.

Notes:

[1] Excepting 'Flying Scotsman', which was exempted from the 'steam ban'.

[2] An edited transcript of page 298 from "A book of Model Railways" by P.R. Wickham, published by Percival Marshall & Co. in January 1949.

A fitting end to the steam saga, John.

What a super picture that is of the 'Black Five' through the broken window.

It's been great sharing anecdotes and pics with you, and all the other contributors, over the last eight months. 

Looking forward to doing it all again on the 60th Anniversary?  :jester:

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to doing it all again on the 60th Anniversary?

Just my two penn'orth.

I understand it's probably a tongue in cheek comment, but, personally I'm not a fan of the repetitive nature of anniversaries, which seem to come up every 5/10 years ad infinitum.

50 years is a good point to celebrate such a momentous occasion, but in 10 years time will there be anything new to bring to the table?, this thread has excelled itself, so maybe just a reference to it in 10 years time will be more than adequate.

Apart from that, and not wishing to be negative, but how many of us will be around in 2028?, committing memories to print/computer is a most necessary project.

Mike.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the repetitive nature of anniversaries,

I wish my wife was like that, but no jokes about a diamond comment, but if I'm alive in ten years time I'd probably will've/would've forgot. It's been an excellent thread. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The thread has been a joy to read and contribute to.   I still need to find the negatives that I took on the 11th and when I've scanned them I'll post them here.   I also have some connected memories that include steam locos at the end of this month which I will write about when I work out how to phrase it all.  So hopefully a few more memories of the end of steam will be posted.  After all moves to the scrapyard continued into 1969 IIRC and the last locos, apart from those at Barry were not cut up to the spring of 69, just too early to use Bryan Adams as a musical reference.

Jamie

• Like 3

Just my two penn'orth.

I understand it's probably a tongue in cheek comment, but, personally I'm not a fan of the repetitive nature of anniversaries, which seem to come up every 5/10 years ad infinitum.

50 years is a good point to celebrate such a momentous occasion, but in 10 years time will there be anything new to bring to the table?, this thread has excelled itself, so maybe just a reference to it in 10 years time will be more than adequate.

Apart from that, and not wishing to be negative, but how many of us will be around in 2028?, committing memories to print/computer is a most necessary project.

Mike.

Hi Mike

You are right - it was meant as a tongue in cheek comment at the end of my (brief) post. 

Unless some unseen photographs are unearthed in ten years time it will just be a repetition of what has already been said this time round.

I've enjoyed contributing to this thread immensely and we've had a good chance to reflect on the events of half a century ago - and I'm now on first name terms with one or two regular contributors. What a great forum this is!

Regards

Trevor

PS I've amended my original post to suit

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 4

As someone too young to remember this time ( I was just 4 in 1968 and born in an already dieselised /electrified part of the country) I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, thank you to all who posted.

Martyn

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I, too have enjoyed reading the thread, and I have to say, marvelling at Trevors photo's.

They seem to exude atmosphere.

The same can be said of some of his diesel shots, too.

I was also too young to appreciate the end of steam, but my Grandfather took the opportunity to get me on to the footplate of a Black 5 at Wigan in 1967/68, which kindled my interest in railways generally, but steam in particular.

Thank you for starting, and curating this thread, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your, and others photos in the future.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A rather poignant reminder from 50 years ago.

Came across this picture this morning (whilst looking for something else, isn't that how it always works?). I remember cutting it out of a magazine all those yeas ago (I think the magazine was published somewhere around 1970, but can't remember the magazine title), but unfortunately I don't have any details, i.e. no location, no loco number etc., and I'm not sure there were any provided with the picture, but I'm guessing that those details weren't the real reason the photo was taken. Just a sad portrait of the passing a once hard working machine, now neglected and unwanted.

post-32776-0-70576300-1534689073_thumb.jpg

I don't know if there is anyone else out there that can remember seeing this photo originally, and perhaps remembering some details? Or remember being artistic with a piece of chalk years ago in their youth - is this your handiwork? 

Obviously the shed number "10F" gives a bit of a clue, but that is no guarantee the location of the photo is the "home" shed. 

Regards, Ian.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A rather poignant reminder from 50 years ago.

Came across this picture this morning (whilst looking for something else, isn't that how it always works?). I remember cutting it out of a magazine all those yeas ago (I think the magazine was published somewhere around 1970, but can't remember the magazine title), but unfortunately I don't have any details, i.e. no location, no loco number etc., and I'm not sure there were any provided with the picture, but I'm guessing that those details weren't the real reason the photo was taken. Just a sad portrait of the passing a once hard working machine, now neglected and unwanted.

attachicon.gifDo not let me go.jpg

I don't know if there is anyone else out there that can remember seeing this photo originally, and perhaps remembering some details? Or remember being artistic with a piece of chalk years ago in their youth - is this your handiwork? 

Obviously the shed number "10F" gives a bit of a clue, but that is no guarantee the location of the photo is the "home" shed. 

Regards, Ian.

If my memory is reliable (Not a given these days) that photo appeared on either the cover or the back cover of a part work called RAILWAYS that I remember buying from W H Smiths every week for about a year. I think it ran from 71 to 72 and filled two binders when complete. I had mine until about a year ago when they all went as part of the clear out before moving to France.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

A very similar sad face was painted on to an 8F at Woodham's in Barry, with the heart rending 'Please don't let me die'.  The loco's 'face' was a given on almost any article about the yard for many years.

A very similar sad face was painted on to an 8F at Woodham's in Barry, with the heart rending 'Please don't let me die'.  The loco's 'face' was a given on almost any article about the yard for many years.

Yep. 8305, now at the GCR.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As promised can now provide a codicil to the events of the 11th August 68.

Firstly by chance a copy of the August Railway Magazine arrived here in France courtesy of redirection to our daughters then onward carriage by some friends who have come to stay. In it in the Locomotive Practice and Performance article are several logs from the latter days of steam on BR. One of them is a complete detailed log of IT57's journey from Liverpool to Carlisle and back. This explains much. Apparently Cromwell was suffering from poor coal and was only doing 27 mph when it entered Blea Moor tunnel.

The return journey is brilliant as it details the various tsr's that the pair of Black fives had to contend with. Two of these on the climb to Ais Gill were to 20 mph. However despite this they were apparently accelerating hard to 58 mph when they passed me. They then nearly managed even time from the water stop at Blea Moor down to Hellifield. It really was a fitting end to regular BR steam.

The second part of the codicil is what happened over the August bank holiday weekend. One of the guys from London, who had given me the lifts to Birkett Tunnel and then Kirkby Lonsdale, invited me to stay with him in London and after exchanges of letters with my parents this naïve 15 yr old was despatched to St Pancras on the Peak hauled Thames Clyde from Settle. When I got there is became apparent that his intentions were certainly not honourable. I managed to survive the 10 days with my honour intact. However, on the plus side, he was a confirmed steam and general railway enthusiast and in his company I saw a lot of the railways of Southern England, including the Romney and much of the electric network. On the two Sundays we travelled to Liphook and spent the days working on Clan Line at Longmoor. I thoroughly enjoyed that experience and came to love Mr Bullied's masterpieces. I even helped take the dome off. 32 lock nutted studs that hadn't been moved since the last general repair at Eastleigh. I got back home and for obvious reasons never spoke to the guy again. However my memories of the time are happy ones due to the steam locos that I saw and experienced.

On my return I spent the three speech day prizes (Book tokens) that I had on a copy of Sean Day Lewis' book, "Bullied Last Giant of Steam." One of these days I will build an 0 Gauge model of Clan Line to run on my layout. None of this would have happened without going to see 1T57 and despite the circumstances I only have happy memories. One of which is receiving my O Level results over the phone from my Mum. We had all left stamped addressed postcards at school with the subjects that we'd taken on them so that the masters could fill them in and post them out. Very different to the present day. I was very happy with my grades.

Jamie

• Like 6

On my return I spent the three speech day prizes (Book tokens) that I had on a copy of Sean Day Lewis' book, "Bullied Last Giant of Steam."

Wise choice. What a book! The first section 'Under Steam to Devon' must rank among the greatest-ever pieces of prose about railways. Driver Pistell calmly rolling himself a cigarette as 35014 gathers speed! Great stuff.

Regards

David Parkins

Here's a 'heads-up' for any interested RMWebbers in the Newcastle upon Tyne area who have been following this thread.

The first meeting of the new season of the Stephenson Locomotive Society (SLS) this coming Friday (7th September) is an illustrated talk by Malcolm Paul on the subject: 'The end of BR steam traction on the main line in 1968'. This will be a real nostalgia-fest of 'end of steam' pictures by SLS members and others.

The SLS now meets above the Newcastle Arts Centre at 67 Westgate Road, a short walk from Central Station, with a 6.30 for 7pm start. (Full details on their website.)

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 2