50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Prototype for everything....

Phil

Well there WAS a bus stop on that bridge right by the station.  And I have a model (EFE I think) of the right bus so (one day) I can recreate the scene on my model Rose Grove.  Realistically it is the shed and East as far as the that road over-bridge, West to the canal.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked at my pictures taken at Rose Grove in September 1968, and I've also caught a bus on what I presume is that same bridge.

Please put them up if you haven't already done so.  Were there still any dead steam locos sitting around at that time.

Jamie 

• RMweb Gold

Many many thanks for all of these photos, although I had lost a lot of interest after 1963 ish! , I will never forget the shock, watching the tele in 1968 seeing the last scheduled steam hauled train on the news. I had seen steam engines built in the 40s ,50s, and as late as 1960 running, what plonkers decided that machines capable of another 30 plus years  service should be put to the torch. Sorry Andy but pollies of all persuasions should be held accountable for these sort of actions.

Mike

• Like 1

I hadn’t actually realised that the first Inter City 125 entered service, only 8 years after the last scheduled steam service and 12 years after the substantial end of steam ... that’s quite remarkable, when you think about it. For all the experimental and variable results of the “green diesel” period, the progress from the first diesels to the HST is a step change, by any standards

• Like 1

Please put them up if you haven't already done so.  Were there still any dead steam locos sitting around at that time.

Jamie

Link in my signature line.

If I had known they were living on borrowed time I probably would have taken more notice of them.

I wouldn't have - and didn't. I believe I have 9 pictures of internal combustion UK rail vehicles from the 1960s. With the cost of developing and printing photographs, relative to what I had available to spend, I wasn't going to waste shots on diesels. I still have a folder from 1965 for developing and printing a 36 shot 35mm black and white film. Adding in the original cost of the film, the total comes pretty close to the top line (i.e. before any deductions) of what I was making from a summer job that year.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium
To my mind they are as redolent of the end of steam as any steam locomotive.  And they were all withdrawn only a couple of months after the last steam locos.  I know I was very excited when I saw them as I had a Hornby-Dublo Co-Bo but had never seen the real thing.  Why did I have a Co-Bo?  I have no idea.

I suppose by then even that area was pretty much all diesel, with the occasional remaining steam, and that photos from the time rather bias the view. But even locos aside those pictures show a completely different railway from now. It wasn't just steam leaving the scene that ended up being the change, it may have been the most obvious (and had a clear cut-off), but some of the less obvious were larger in many ways. Carnforth then compared to Carnforth as I've always seen it (or been old enough to remember, it seems odd to think steam ended a mere ten years before I was born) on those steam-free pictures is still a different world.

• Like 1

Were there still any dead steam locos sitting around at that time.

Jamie

Carnforth on September 2, 1968 had 43 steam locos..

On September 3:

Lostock Hall had 40

Rose Grove had 29

Bolton had 17

Patricroft had 21

Newton Heath had 28

Edit to add - and on September 4, Speke Junction had one - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7388736410 )

Edited by pH

I’m struck by how dirty that Co-Bo is.

I usually think of diesel-hauled carriage stock as being dirty and run-down, but that dates from my commuting days in the mid-80s to early 90s when they were obsolete, just waiting for replacement by electrification..

And some of us are still waiting for electrification, now doubt I'll see Nottingham wired in my lifetime......

It'd be at the wrong station anyway!

You may find this interesting.  Carnforth in 1933...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW042017

Chris Turnbull

That is a fantastic web resource, for those unfamiliar with it, registering with the site is free and allows you to zoom in on the photographs, they are fairly high resolution so you can pick out really good detail

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting; I'd always thought of it as being a busy junction in a rural area, but the aerial photo shows what look like some blast furnaces.

Yes there was an ironworks at the north end of the site I think it was accessed from the LNWR line north of the station. I'm not sure when it closed but I think it was post WW2.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Yes there was an ironworks at the north end of the site I think it was accessed from the LNWR line north of the station. I'm not sure when it closed but I think it was post WW2.

It first appears on the 1891 map

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/349823/470828/12/101394

and if you then go to the 1930 to 1938 map it has gone.

Chris Turnbull 

Chris Turnbull

Here are a couple more taken aboard the 'Special' I was on which was on its way to Guide Bridge (for a trip to Sheffield behind E26052 ) on 1st June 1968..

post-24907-0-67366500-1518260441_thumb.jpg

70013 tops the summit out of Manchester Victoria at Miles Platting as photographers on the platform vie for the 'master shot'..

A few seconds earlier I had taken this view looking back..

post-24907-0-25239100-1518260462_thumb.jpg

44884 drops back after banking the train out of Victoria, as photographers on the train vie for the 'master shot' !! The signal box is 'Miles Platting Junction'.

This particular 'Black Five' rang bells with me, as it was the first '4er' I ever saw - at Low Fell back in 1963, hauling a dead V2. It was the first time I had seen it since then.

Happy memories.

Cheers

Trevor 

• Like 11