50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Were the specials the William Deacons Bank specials that went to Carnforth, if so I saw them that day and that helps me pin point the date our school transport society had tours of Carnforth and Rose Grove.

Jamie

Trevor

Yes Jamie.

The Williams Deacon's Bank Club specials ran on 17th March from Stockport to Carnforth (eventually!) via Bolton, Accrington and Skipton. Two trains were run due to the demand for tickets. (I was on Train No 2.) There was a visit to Carnforth shed included. 

Regards

Trevor

Two at Carnforth...

post-24907-0-19516400-1518814874_thumb.jpg

45342 with northbound oil tanks on 19th July 1968. No barrier vehicle - they must be empties? (or did oil in tanks not count as flammable?) - See post #405 below

post-24907-0-69707100-1518814910_thumb.jpg

Tender-first 45025 heads west on the Barrow line with some sort of permanent way(?) train on 30th July. Not a hi-vis vest to be seen! 

Trevor

Edited to note the answer regarding the barrier vehicle is given in a later post

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jamie.

The Williams Deacon's Bank Club specials ran on 17th March from Stockport to Carnforth (eventually!) via Bolton, Accrington and Skipton. Two trains were run due to the demand for tickets. (I was on Train No 2.) There was a visit to Carnforth shed included. 

Regards

Trevor

Thanks for that Trevor. I have very happy memories of that day. We had only just formed the Transport Society and it was our first trip. We could only do trips on a Sunday and I managed to get permits for Carnforth and Rose Grove. They refused the request for Lostock Hall for some reasons. We were given the Freedom of both sheds and could wander around at will. I remember someone opened a valve to an injector on one of the stored locos and when water started pouring out we didn't seem to be able to turn it off. Eventually it stopped but we were scared we were going to be in trouble.

We didn't know about the specials but they arrived just before we were due to set off so we hung around for a while. I have a vague memory that one of the pacifics wasn't allowed round the tight curve off the Midland into the Furness platforms and they had to detach it and work the train in with a pilot off the shed.

Jamie

• Like 1

I knew that there were variations on tenders attached to the Black Fives - I didn't realise it also applied to 8Fs. Thanks for pointing it out.

(I certainly didn't notice it at the time!)

Regards

Trevor

I didn't appreciate the different Stanier tenders at the time either. That tender with the 8F was one of 50 built to go with Jubilees 5607-66 but they got scattered over the years. It's only quite recently (relaticely speaking) that I have seen instances of them on 8Fs. Perhaps they got shuffled when there was a plan to replace the Jubilees Fowler tenders. One of the 3500 gallon tenders even did time with a couple of Scots. I have not seen any photos of a 3500 gallon tender on a Black Five, AKAIK they just had similar tenders of various construction techniques i.e. welded or riveted.

I think the shot of 45110 - with 70013's under the station sign - is one of the best photos I have ever seen.

I have now altered the original caption - the Black Five at Accrington was actually 45447 in both shots. My mistake!

Cheers,

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

I purchased this transparency, which is not in good condition; a bit like the subject matter. 

Here is 48327 on shed (slide mount suggests early in 1968, but now thought to be early 1966). It has a 9L shed plate, so I am assuming it is at Buxton, until told something different. 

attachicon.gifs48327 buxton 1968.jpg

I am 99.9% sure it is Buxton.

Peterfgf

Preston again...

post-24907-0-75248500-1518952948_thumb.jpg

45017 restarts a northbound freight on the west side of the station on 16th July 1968

post-24907-0-03264200-1518952971_thumb.jpg

44806 standing at the south end. My notes say 'steam heat' - would this be sleeping cars? I didn't take too much notice at the time, but it was the first picture I took about 05.30 on the morning on 29th July - I had arrived on the 02.35 ex-Carlisle!

Trevor (not many more pictures left to upload now)

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's in mid-gear with a lamp above the right hand buffer, so quite possibly.

Almost certainly. I think it's been mentioned above that one of the last revenue earning turns off Lostock Hall on the 4th August (I think) was a steam heat duty.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Preston again...

attachicon.gif(562a) 45212 Preston 15-07-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

A rear three-quarter portrait of 45212 with a northbound coal train on 15th July

attachicon.gif(545bS) 48765 Preston 18-7-68 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

48765 heads north with a train of new farm machinery, by the look of it, on 18th July

Trevor

Yes balers though I'm not sure what make. Those produced the old small oblong bales.

Jamie

45390 being turned at Carnforth shed on 31st July 1968..

attachicon.gif(882a) 45390 Carnforth MPD 31-7-68(Trevor Ermel).jpg

In the left background of the first one, someone has parked a three-wheeled van (as per 'Only Fools And Horses', I think). I'm not an expert on these matters but is a Reliant Rialto?

Cheers

Trevor

Trevor, I believe it's a Regal van.  The Rialto was a post-Robin 1980s abomination.

This marvellous thread reminds me of my missed opportunity. In early July 1968 my friend and I bought tickets from Gloucester to Manchester to pay our last respects to BR steam, not realising that steam in Manchester had finished a week or two before. When we got to Patricroft it was full of dead caprotti standard 5’s. wonderful beasts that I hadn’t remembered before. We got back to Victoria to see if it was possible to get to Rose Grove or similar and get back to Gloucester but alas it wasn’t. It was a good day for cops, but a bad day for memories. I am really pleased to see what I missed. A peculiar sentiment but it helps my memory of the 1966-67 period that was so evocative.