50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Thanks Trevor and Chris for more excellent pictures from 50 years ago and thanks to all for reading this stuff, as I complete my therapy course.  Extra thanks are due also to Jamie for reminding me about those two books and I'll draft a more pertinent reply later.  In short, you don't have to be a steam-nut, like me, Paul, or Jamie to enjoy those chapters, just a railway enthusiast.

Days I'll Remember  . . all my life, part two: On the road again [1].

IMHO, Preston station, with its overall roof that's still intact in 2018, is a 'proper' RAILWAY station.  When a steam special arrives in the Twenty-first century, for just a few seconds, you could almost be back in those Swinging Sixties [2].  Although the East Lancashire lines have been replaced with a large strip of tarmacadam and concrete plus a lot more contraction has taken place, you can still enjoy a hot mug of tea and a sticky bun not far from today's version of prototype railway operations.  Back on August 1st 1968, the cafeteria on the down island platform at Preston was our prime objective.

We arrived at 21:30 (on the 19:30 train from Manchester Victoria), intending to spend the night soaking up and inhaling the atmosphere of the working steam railway for one more time in the last 'cathedral of steam': before setting off for three final walks on the dusty cinder paths of those all important engine sheds (10A, 10D and 10F).  On our way up to Preston, Stanier 8F, 48773 (10F) was spotted on a duty at Bolton station looking remarkably clean, having just had the attention of members of the MNA.

The first engine noted upon arrival at Preston was the station pilot, Stanier Class 5, 44806, which would also have benefited from a rub down with a few oily rags.  Next, at 22:15, another respectably turned out Stanier 5, number 45110 arrived on a parcels duty from Colne. [3]

As the clock approached Wilson Pickett's favourite time [4], whether the crew of pilot locomotive recognised us from a couple of weeks before, or we were just lucky boys yet again, around midnight we climbed aboard Stanier Class 5, number 44806 and spent the next few hours 'assisting' with the station pilot duties.  In the periods when we were waiting for the next move, I managed to produce a pencil sketch looking along the boiler from the driver's seat.  I'm certain that I intended one day (when I had acquired more of the necessary skills) to attempt a painting of this scene, but . . . [5].

Our train onwards to Carnforth was due out at 03:50, so sometime around 3:30am, we bade our farewell to the kind crew of 44806 and climbed down from the comfortable warm cab onto the deserted platform.  A brisk walk around the station, taking in some deep breaths of the sharp early morning air, before boarding our northbound service.  Arriving in Carnforth at 05.05, with the streaks of dawn light creeping across a cold clear sky, we made our way from the set of 'Brief Encounter' for the start of our very own last steamy affair [6].

More sniffy exploits and pieces of grit tomorrow!

Keep steaming,

John.

Notes:

[1] 'On the Road Again' was the first release by the U.S. Group, Canned Heat on 24th July 1968 and will make number 8 during its 15 weeks in the pop-chart.

[2] Not 'Back in the USSR' the Beatles tune that was on the flip side of a Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers hit in August 1966, when we were watching A4 Pacifics between Glasgow and Aberdeen.

[3]  Both 48773 and 45110 and some members of the MNA should be at Kidderminster station on Saturday 4th August 2018.

[4] 'In the Midnight Hour', Pickett's first U.K. release in September 1965.

[5]  . .  I never have tried to capture this memory in paint, I wonder why not, perhaps it might spoil this special memory of those few unforgettable hours?

[6] Some scenes of this classic film, (written and produced by Noel Coward; directed by David Lean and starring Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson) were shot on Carnforth station in 1945.

• Like 10

@ Old Gringo

Well, John, those last two pieces of yours were particularly evocative! I agree that '(Thank you for the) Days' is particularly apt for the End of Steam - perfect timing, in fact. And I've already mentioned in an earlier post that 'I'm into something Good' from 1964 is my other steam-era song which strikes a chord.

Your post yesterday ended with you and friends at Carnforth in the early morning of 2nd August 1968 - which is when I'll take up my own story again...

Friday 2nd August 1968

An early start from the Youth Hostel found me down at the station to photograph the morning short freight, headed once again by 75048

post-24907-0-57119700-1533194853_thumb.jpg

75048 at Arnside on 2nd August

As a repeat of Thursday, 45231 followed with a westbound ballast train, but tender-first this time. Some other enthusiasts, one of them known to me, had arrived on the platform to take photographs - "Ah, one of the Low Fell contingent!" he remarked on seeing me. With not much time for small talk I joined the 09.23 for Carnforth with D324 at the head. Perhaps my path crossed at Carnforth with that of John (I might find out with Old gringo's next post?) but not for long as I see that my stay on the platform was brief (as in 'Brief Encounter' - see what I did there?) and I boarded the 09.41 heading south with D1848 as far as Lancaster, followed by D428 on the 09.59 from there to Preston. (If I remember correctly the two trains combined at Lancaster.)

John has mentioned in his last post that Preston station has contracted since steam days, with the loss of the East Lancs platforms. I didn't know what lay in store at the time, but here's a (possibly quite rare?) view looking across this part, which closed in the 1970s, I believe. I have no recollection of where I was standing to get this picture!

post-24907-0-84336800-1533195876_thumb.jpg

45025 pushes an inspection saloon in to the East Lancs platforms at Preston on 2nd August. There's a D400 waiting to head south in the background, in the main part of the station.

Other activity I photographed was 44874 with freight and 45212 on a short trip working.

post-24907-0-65165900-1533196115_thumb.jpg

44874 with a short freight (you can just see the brake van on the right) heading south at Preston on 2nd August 

post-24907-0-75477000-1533196037_thumb.jpg

45212 arrives from the north with a trip working on 2nd August with various enthusiasts on the left. John, is this you?

With my newly acquired shed permit in my pocket I made for Lostock Hall on the 12.13 dmu, and was soon in among the locos at the shed, many nicely cleaned for the coming weekend's 'specials'. Although these have been uploaded before, here are two views again, showing 45388, 45110 and 45260.

post-24907-0-53068600-1533196424_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-51278900-1533196484_thumb.jpg

And then, disaster struck! I had been using my home-made tripod, as described earlier, when it overbalanced and the camera crashed on to the concrete floor. (I think I was by the coaling stage when it happened.)  Gingerly I picked it up and gently shook it - nothing. I shook it harder - still no sound of anything loose inside. The lens looked OK (it wasn't an interchangeable lens so I couldn't tell what it was like on the back) but there was a nasty dent around it. Had it been a lucky escape, or had I put an end to further photography? With a sickening feeling I made a note of which frame I had reached and gently rewound the film, taking care not to pull it right back into the cassette, and opened the back. Hm, nothing seemed to be wrong inside, so all I could do was hope for the best and carry on.

This had certainly taken the wind out of my sails and I sadly walked back to the centre of Preston and took the camera into a photography shop I came across for them to have a look. I'm not sure what I was expecting them to do(!) but they said it would take several weeks to be sent for repair and would probably cost nearly as much I had paid for it second-hand the previous year. Several weeks! Steam was ending this weekend, damn it!

With a heavy heart I joined the 16.45 dmu out of Preston, and alighted at Hest Bank. Goodness knows why, and I said in an earlier post when I saw the pigeons being released at the station that it had been by only visit there. I was wrong, this was my second. Another dmu took me back to Carnforth, where I reinserted the film, wound on a few frames past the last shot to be on the safe side, and took several views in the afternoon light including this one, hoping everything would be OK.

post-24907-0-07032000-1533198132_thumb.jpg

44894 and 70013 at Carnforth shed on 2nd August.

Of course, I didn't know at the time if the camera was still working! It seems the only obvious effect on picture quality was a loss of sharpness on the extreme left edge which I've included in this crop. Oh, and the stiffness I now discovered in changing settings!

I was so annoyed and upset that I seriously thought about abandoning the week there and then and returning home by the next train. A check of the timetable revealed  this was not a practical reality so late in the day, so sadly I returned to Arnside by dmu, and didn't even note the loco on the Barrow parcels. Would I feel happier in the morning?

Well, I'm glad I stayed, as I will recount tomorrow!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 18

@ Old Gringo

Well, John, those last two pieces of yours were particularly evocative! I agree that '(Thank you for the) Days' is particularly apt for then End of Steam - perfect timing, in fact. And I've already mentioned in an earlier post that 'I'm into something Good' from 1964 is my other steam-era song which strikes a chord.

Your post yesterday ended with you and friends at Carnforth in the early morning of 2nd August 1968 - which is when I'll take up my own story again...

Friday 2nd August 1968

An early start from the Youth Hostel found me down at the station to photograph the morning short freight, headed once again by 75048

attachicon.gif(569bS) 75048 Arnside station 2-8-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

75048 at Arnside on 2nd August

As a repeat of Thursday, 45231 followed with a westbound ballast train, but tender-first this time. Some other enthusiasts, one of them known to me, had arrived on the platform to take photographs - "Ah, one of the Low Fell contingent!" he remarked on seeing me. With not much time for small talk I joined the 09.23 for Carnforth with D324 at the head. Perhaps my path crossed at Carnforth with that of John (I might find out with Old gringo's next post?) but not for long as I see that my stay on the platform was brief (as in 'Brief Encounter' - see what I did there?) and I boarded the 09.41 heading south with D1848 as far as Lancaster, followed by D428 on the 09.59 from there to Preston. (If I remember correctly the two trains combined at Lancaster.)

John has mentioned in his last post that Preston station has contracted since steam days, with the loss of the East Lancs platforms. I didn't know what lay in store at the time, but here's a (possibly quite rare?) view looking across this part, which closed in the 1970s, I believe. I have no recollection of where I was standing to get this picture!

attachicon.gif(692cS) 45025+Inspectors saloon Preston station 2-8-68 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

45025 pushes an inspection saloon in to the East Lancs platforms at Preston on 2nd August. There's a D400 waiting to head south in the background, in the main part of the station.

Other activity I photographed was 44874 with freight and 45212 on a short trip working.

attachicon.gif(881aS) 44874 Preston 2-8-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

44874 with a short freight (you can just see the brake van on the right) heading south at Preston on 2nd August 

attachicon.gif(689c) 45212 Preston station 02-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

45212 arrives from the north with a trip working on 2nd August with various enthusiasts on the left. John, is this you?

With my newly acquired shed permit in my pocket I made for Lostock Hall on the 12.13 dmu, and was soon in among the locos at the shed, many nicely cleaned for the coming weekend's 'specials'. Although these have been uploaded before, here are two views again, showing 45388, 45110 and 45260.

attachicon.gif(618a) 45388+45110+45260 Lostock Hall MPD 02-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

attachicon.gif(616cS) 45110+45260 Lostock Hall MPD 02-08-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

And then, disaster struck! I had been using my home-made tripod, as described earlier, when it overbalanced and the camera crashed on to the concrete floor. (I think I was by the coaling stage when it happened.)  Gingerly I picked it up and gently shook it - nothing. I shook it harder - still no sound of anything loose inside. The lens looked OK (it wasn't an interchangeable lens so I couldn't tell what it was like on the back) but there was a nasty dent around it. Had it been a lucky escape, or had I put an end to further photography? With a sickening feeling I made a note of which frame I had reached and gently rewound the film, taking care not to pull it right back into the cassette, and opened the back. Hm, nothing seemed to be wrong inside, so all I could do was hope for the best and carry on.

This had certainly taken the wind out of my sails and I sadly walked back to the centre of Preston and took the camera into a photography shop I came across for them to have a look. I'm not sure what I was expecting them to do(!) but they said it would take several weeks to be sent for repair and would probably cost nearly as much I had paid for it second-hand the previous year. Several weeks! Steam was ending this weekend, damn it!

With a heavy heart I joined the 16.45 dmu out of Preston, and alighted at Hest Bank. Goodness knows why, and I said in an earlier post when I saw the pigeons being released at the station that it had been by only visit there. I was wrong, this was my second. Another dmu took me back to Carnforth, where I reinserted the film, wound on a few frames past the last shot to be on the safe side, and took several views in the afternoon light including this one, hoping everything would be OK.

attachicon.gif(694b) 44894+70013 Carnforth MPD 2-8-68 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

44894 and 70013 at Carnforth shed on 2nd August.

Of course, I didn't know at the time if the camera was still working! It seems the only obvious effect on picture quality was a loss of sharpness on the extreme left edge which I've included in this crop. Oh, and the stiffness I now discovered in changing settings!

I was so annoyed and upset that I seriously thought about abandoning the week there and then and returning home by the next train. A check of the timetable revealed  this was not a practical reality so late in the day, so sadly I returned to Arnside by dmu, and didn't even note the loco on the Barrow parcels. Would I feel happier in the morning?

Well, I'm glad I stayed, as I will recount tomorrow!

Cheers

Trevor

Trevor, once again such a wonderful and evocative post. Really brings the events of 50 years ago to life. 

Sincere thanks to you, John and all of the others for posting such brilliant reminisces and fantastic photos. They deserve to go into a book!

Best wishes, Andy

• Like 1

Just backtracking a few days (and 50 years). 28 July 1968 Dad and I were on 1L43, an MRTS/SRVS special from Birmingham to most of Lancashire (70013, 75019 + 75027, 45073 + 45156, 48773). Dad had his new toy, a Grundig pocket dictaphone type thing. Useless as he discovered for recording locomotive sounds, but he made a sort of intermittent commentary. The tape's now lost, but I particularly remember points where he commented on graffitti painted on bridges etc. 

I suppose 'Kropotkin lives!' was fairly standard for that exciting summer of '68 (exciting at least if you wore black polo-necks and smoked Gitanes - I was a tad young for either), but the one that really stood out for him, I think somewhere between Bolton and Euxton Junction, was, in fairly bright paint 'Open a second front now'. Whether that was a genuine WW2 survivor, or a very early example of post modern irony, I haven't a clue!

Talking of music, were we spotters from Wharton Park, Durham in 1964 the only kids who though 'Needles and Pins', the Searchers version, was really great through association with a certain Deltic? Or was that just sad?

• RMweb Premium

JTalking of music, were we spotters from Wharton Park, Durham in 1964 the only kids who though 'Needles and Pins', the Searchers version, was really great through association with a certain Deltic? Or was that just sad?

You weren't and I set it as a quiz question one year at our club quiz. I also emailed it to Roger Ford (Captain Deltic) at the end of another totally unrelated email. He didn't get it then his wife did to his disgust and amusement.

My quiz questions were:-

a) Who sang about a Deltic

b) What was it's name and

c) What was it's number, D or Tops accepted.

Jamie

• Like 1

Trevor, once again such a wonderful and evocative post. Really brings the events of 50 years ago to life. 

Sincere thanks to you, John and all of the others for posting such brilliant reminisces and fantastic photos. They deserve to go into a book!

Best wishes, Andy

Many thanks for the kind words, Andy.

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but as for my pictures going into a book, the only way that would happen is if I made my own, like this:

post-24907-0-48181200-1533237812_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else made online photobooks? Mine was via the Jessops software, but lots of companies offer this service now.

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 10

Many thanks for the kind words, Andy.

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but as for my pictures going into a book, the only way that would happen is if I made my own, like this:

attachicon.gif(DSC_0004a) .jpg

Has anyone else made online photobooks? Mine was via the Jessops software, but lots of companies offer this service now.

Cheers

Trevor

Used Photobox for a few - can be good quality but expensive.

Is that just a mock-up, Trevor - or did you make a book?

Have you made it available for others to buy or was it just for your own use?

Tony

Having bought some of the Robert Adley books in the past I would say that your photographs and supporting text are far superior than his.  It would be worth a punt I think

Jim

I quite like the Adley books. I thought they were charming.

But these photographs are of a different class. It's because they have the full scene rather than having all the clutter cut out and just having 3/4 views of locomotives. 

Jason

• Like 1

Several people have unexpectedly contacted me regarding the availability of my book (shown earlier in post #613) which I had made for my own use (although I am not complaining!)

If anyone else would like to find out more then it might be a good idea to PM me please, to avoid this thread going a bit off topic too much.

Cheers

Trevor

I quite like the Adley books. I thought they were charming.

But these photographs are of a different class. It's because they have the full scene rather than having all the clutter cut out and just having 3/4 views of locomotives. 

Jason

Thanks for your comments, Jason.

But I also agree with you about the Adley books - I have about three or four of them myself.

Cheers

Trevor

Nearly there, the Very End is in a week. Still not got me in shot Trevor!

Days I'll Remember  . . all my life, part three: My last shed bash!

Having arrived at Carnforth at just gone 5am, a brisk walk in the cold morning brought us to the shed in around five minutes [1].  However, as the sun rose on August 2nd 1968, I decided to try and get a photograph from the higher ground rising to the west side of the shed and this was the less than perfect result around 5.45am:

post-10252-0-50455300-1533247948.jpg

We stared down upon a motley collection of engines, including several that were already, or would be preserved: Numbers, 42073, 42085, 45025, 45231, 46441, 61306 and 70013. , many of which have appeared before.  In total 21 Stanier Class 5, 4-6-0s were present, ten of which were still serviceable. The last Standard 5MT, 4-6-0, 73069, and four Standard 4MT, 4-6-0s, withdrawn 75009 and 75019, 75027, 75048, which all appeared in good condition.  A visiting Stanier 8F, 48665 (10F) was also in steam, but classmate number 48124 was dead along with eleven condemned Stanier Fives, seven life-expired Standard Class 9F, 2-10-0s and 75020.  IIRC, there weren't many other crazy kids around before 7am and the few staff we encountered didn't care about us, as long as we kept out of the way.

post-10252-0-40805600-1533248013.jpg

Trevor photographed Class 4MT, 75048 on a short freight at ....... and here it is ready for the road about to go off shed to pick up the wagons.

post-10252-0-96573700-1533248054.jpg

After 9am, we made our way back to the station to catch the 09:35 back to Preston.  Trevor must have been on that platform too and caught a later train south.  Arriving at Preston at 10:45, I spotted the overnight pilot, 44806, before we boarded the 11:05 for Rose Grove due in at Noon. 

post-10252-0-13642800-1533248319.jpg

On the way to Rose Grove, I noted 48723 shunting in the Ribble Sidings and we passed 48400 working a freight at Cherry Tree. 8F, 48393 was also shunting at Accrington and 48278 was working another freight towards Preston, somewhere near Hapton.

Exactly two hours were spent at 10F, mainly wandering around the shed I suppose and dodging the children playing in the pools of water beside the dead engines.  There were three serviceable Stanier Fives, 45096, 45407 and 45447 and three condemned members.  Nineteen Stanier Eights completed the roster, seven of which were already condemned.  I climbed part way up the coaling tower to survey the depressing scene and photographs have appeared in several books from that very same spot.

The 14:00 service off Rose Grove had us back on the platforms at Preston for 14:55, easily in time for the 15:13 to Lostock Hall arriving at 15:30.  A walk of just a few yards brought me to my last cinder pathway alongside the shed coded 10D, which was filled with just thirty-eight steam locomotives.

For 110 minutes, we wandered around between the last ten Stanier Eights, twenty-six Stanier Fives and two condemned Ivatt Flying Piggies that were displayed amongst the piles of ash and clinker of a dying empire [2].  Trevor's photographs tell the story better than any words.  So, that was it - the last shed bash and at 17:20 I was heading back to Preston.  Twenty minutes later, we were travelling south, bound for 'Cottonopolis' Victoria and probably my last steam locomotive working in regular traffic was Stanier Eight, number 48727, which was noted as 'on a Northbound freight at Preston'.

And this was my last photograph of a 'working' steam shed (edited - see steve4rosegrove's comment in post 622) - probably taken from the 17:20 departure from Lostock Hall and where I ran out of film!

post-10252-0-92328500-1533248618.jpg

Next time we'll chase a few of the August 4th Specials.

All the very best,

John.

Notes:

[1] Anybody remember '(Walk me out in the) Morning Dew' by the Grateful Dead, a tune from 1967.  Edit: and another version  by Tim Rose!!

[2] Ivatt Class 4MT, 2-6-0, No. 43106 had already departed for the Severn Valley Railway.

Postscript: As another little piece of history very quickly fell into place, here's another odd statistic: apparently there were 46,736 visitors to the 125 locomotive sheds on the London Midland Region during 1949.  I wonder what the figure was for the last London Midland Region sheds during the last 32 weeks of 1968? Source; page 33 of 'Railways' magazine No. 119 / 1950.

• Like 18

Days I'll Remember . . all my life, part three: My last shed bash!

Having arrived at Carnforth at just gone 5am, a brisk walk in the cold morning brought us to the shed in around five minutes [1]. However, as the sun rose on August 2nd 1968, I decided to try and get a photograph from the higher ground rising to the west side of the shed and this was the less than perfect result around 5.45am:

Cars.jpg

We stared down upon a motley collection of engines, including several that were already, or would be preserved: Numbers, 42073, 42085, 45025, 45231, 46441, 61306 and 70013. , many of which have appeared before. In total 21 Stanier Class 5, 4-6-0s were present, ten of which were still serviceable. The last Standard 5MT, 4-6-0, 73069, and four Standard 4MT, 4-6-0s numbers, 75009, 75019, 75027, 75048, all appeared in good condition. A visiting Stanier 8F, 48665 (10F) was also in steam, but classmate number 48124 was dead along with eleven condemned Stanier Fives, seven life-expired Standard Class 9F, 2-10-0s and 75020. IIRC, there weren't many other crazy kids around before 7am and the few staff we encountered didn't care about us, as long as we kept out of the way.

Front of shed043.jpg

Trevor photographed Class 4MT, 75048 on a short freight at ....... and here it is ready for the road about to go off shed to pick up the wagons.

75048.jpg

After 9am, we made our way back to the station to catch the 09:35 back to Preston. Trevor must have been on that platform too and caught a later train south. Arriving at Preston at 10:45, I spotted the overnight pilot, 44806, before we boarded the 11:05 for Rose Grove due in at Noon.

44806.jpg

On the way to Rose Grove, I noted 48723 shunting in the Ribble Sidings and we passed 48400 working a freight at Cherry Tree. 8F, 48393 was also shunting at Accrington and 48278 was working another freight towards Preston, somewhere near Hapton.

Exactly two hours were spent at 10F, mainly wandering around the shed I suppose and dodging the children playing in the pools of water beside the dead engines. There were three serviceable Stanier Fives, 45096, 45407 and 45447 and three condemned members. Nineteen Stanier Eights completed the roster, seven of which were already condemned. I climbed part way up the coaling tower to survey the depressing scene and photographs have appeared in several books from that very same spot.

The 14:00 service off Rose Grove had us back on the platforms at Preston for 14:55, easily in time for the 15:13 to Lostock Hall arriving at 15:30. A walk of just a few yards brought me to my last cinder pathway alongside the shed coded 10D, which was filled with just thirty-eight steam locomotives.

For 110 minutes, we wandered around between the last ten Stanier Eights, twenty-six Stanier Fives and two condemned Ivatt Flying Piggies that were displayed amongst the piles of ash and clinker of a dying empire [2]. Trevor's photographs tell the story better than any words. So, that was it - the last shed bash and at 17:20 I was heading back to Preston. Twenty minutes later, we were travelling south, bound for 'Cottonopolis' Victoria and probably my last steam locomotive working in regular traffic was Stanier Eight, number 48727, which was noted as 'on a Northbound freight at Preston'.

And this was my last photograph of a 'working' steam shed taken from the 14:00 departure from Rose Grove and where I ran out of film!

Coaling Tower.jpg

Next time we'll chase the August 4th Specials.

All the very best,

John.

Notes:

[1] Anybody remember '(Walk me out in the) Morning Dew' by the Grateful Dead, a tune from 1967.

[2] Ivatt Class 4MT, 2-6-0, No. 43106 had already departed for the Severn Valley Railway.

Postscript: As another little piece of history very quickly fell into place, here's another odd statistic: apparently there were 46,736 visitors to the 125 locomotive sheds on the London Midland Region during 1949. I wonder what the figure was for the last London Midland Region sheds during the last 32 weeks of 1968? Source; page 33 of 'Railways' magazine No. 119 / 1950.

Certainly remember Morning Dew but not by the Grateful Dead, the version I remember was by Tim Rose, still have the single somewhere I think.

Days I'll Remember  . . all my life, part three: My last shed bash!

Having arrived at Carnforth at just gone 5am, a brisk walk in the cold morning brought us to the shed in around five minutes [1].  However, as the sun rose on August 2nd 1968, I decided to try and get a photograph from the higher ground rising to the west side of the shed and this was the less than perfect result around 5.45am:

attachicon.gifCars.jpg

We stared down upon a motley collection of engines, including several that were already, or would be preserved: Numbers, 42073, 42085, 45025, 45231, 46441, 61306 and 70013. , many of which have appeared before.  In total 21 Stanier Class 5, 4-6-0s were present, ten of which were still serviceable. The last Standard 5MT, 4-6-0, 73069, and four Standard 4MT, 4-6-0s numbers, 75009, 75019, 75027, 75048, all appeared in good condition.  A visiting Stanier 8F, 48665 (10F) was also in steam, but classmate number 48124 was dead along with eleven condemned Stanier Fives, seven life-expired Standard Class 9F, 2-10-0s and 75020.  IIRC, there weren't many other crazy kids around before 7am and the few staff we encountered didn't care about us, as long as we kept out of the way.

attachicon.gifFront of shed043.jpg

attachicon.gif75048.jpg

After 9am, we made our way back to the station to catch the 09:35 back to Preston.  Trevor must have been on that platform too and caught a later train south.  Arriving at Preston at 10:45, I spotted the overnight pilot, 44806, before we boarded the 11:05 for Rose Grove due in at Noon. 

attachicon.gif44806.jpg

Exactly two hours were spent at 10F, mainly wandering around the shed I suppose and dodging the children playing in the pools of water beside the dead engines.  There were three serviceable Stanier Fives, 45096, 45407 and 45447 and three condemned members.  Nineteen Stanier Eights completed the roster, seven of which were already condemned.  I climbed part way up the coaling tower to survey the depressing scene and photographs have appeared in several books from that very same spot.

The 14:00 service off Rose Grove had us back on the platforms at Preston for 14:55, easily in time for the 15:13 to Lostock Hall arriving at 15:30.  A walk of just a few yards brought me to my last cinder pathway alongside the shed coded 10D, which was filled with just thirty-eight steam locomotives.

For 110 minutes, we wandered around between the last ten Stanier Eights, twenty-six Stanier Fives and two condemned Ivatt Flying Piggies that were displayed amongst the piles of ash and clinker of a dying empire [2].  Trevor's photographs tell the story better than any words.  So, that was it - the last shed bash and at 17:20 I was heading back to Preston.  Twenty minutes later, we were travelling south, bound for 'Cottonopolis' Victoria and probably my last steam locomotive working in regular traffic was Stanier Eight, number 48727, which was noted as 'on a Northbound freight at Preston'.

And this was my last photograph of a 'working' steam shed taken from the 14:00 departure from Rose Grove and where I ran out of film!

attachicon.gifCoaling Tower.jpg

Next time we'll chase the August 4th Specials.

All the very best,

John.

Notes:

[1] Anybody remember '(Walk me out in the) Morning Dew' by the Grateful Dead, a tune from 1967.  Edit: and a better one by Tim Rose!!

Postscript: As another little piece of history very quickly fell into place, here's another odd statistic: apparently there were 46,736 visitors to the 125 locomotive sheds on the London Midland Region during 1949.  I wonder what the figure was for the last London Midland Region sheds during the last 32 weeks of 1968? Source; page 33 of 'Railways' magazine No. 119 / 1950.

Errrrrr are you sure that this particular 'photo is Rose Grove??  Sorry but I don't think that it is - the road for loading the coaler didn't go to the old coal hold (water tank.  It has a flavour of Bolton to me, or possibly 10D?

Steve

Errrrrr are you sure that this particular 'photo is Rose Grove??  Sorry but I don't think that it is - the road for loading the coaler didn't go to the old coal hold (water tank.  It has a flavour of Bolton to me, or possibly 10D?

Steve

Morning Steve,

You know I think you're right. 

It was the last frame on the film and I've always believed that I took it from the train leaving 10F, but . . . it might just as easily have been 10D at 17:20 and it does look more like Lostock Hall.

It was definitely the last shot I took of a 'working' shed on August 2nd, honest!

All the best,

John.

• Like 3

Having bought some of the Robert Adley books in the past I would say that your photographs and supporting text are far superior than his.  It would be worth a punt I think

Jim

What I liked about Adley is he ( most of the time) seemed to go to the same places as me but he had a better camera  :sungum: .

Certainly remember Morning Dew but not by the Grateful Dead, the version I remember was by Tim Rose, still have the single somewhere I think.

There's a good version on the Dead's triple live album recorded I think in the Concertgeboeuw in the Netherlands a few years later. Sadly I no longer have the album - it was acquired jointly with another lad in settlement of some schoolboy debt, and I lost touch with the co-owner, as you do.

• Like 2