50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

• RMweb Premium

Really ?? In the last couple of years of steam the attraction of the 20 Caprotti Standard 5's was the lone reason why I went to Patricroft shed so often, fortunate in being one of the last sheds open, it gained a reputation for it's handling of the class, with the last conventional valve-geared versions ending up there as well. Although a little slower in acceleration, the Caprotti's proved to be more economical runners as long as not too much was asked of them.

I've seen it reported elsewhere that the shedmaster at Patricroft liked his Standard 5's so much that he was very reluctant to obey orders and actually withdraw them.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

To anyone modelling the last months of steam (there's a whole thread elsewhere on this), your notes are very informative but confirm that it would be very easy to have far too much variety of locos.  It would seem that by May-June '68, probably 90% of the remaining steam locos were Black 5s and 8s, in fact I was surprised to see so many Standard 5s in your lists.

The fly in the ointment is that I didn't record which locos were in steam/serviceable, although I do have memories of which ones were, such as 44777, which made such a tumultuous effort of going onto Patricroft shed that cinders from the chimney burnt a hole in my BriNylon shirt, remember them?, and my mother was none too impressed on my return home! Despite, as I've stated before, having no overriding affinity for steam, unlike many others, it was moments like this which made a lasting impression on me.

Mike.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Huh, talking of which, bumped into an old friend at Patricroft, seen many times at Willesden while shedded at Nuneaton. :sungum: Sorry I only had a crude 'box-brownie' at the time.

attachicon.gifImage (3).jpg

Fantastic.

That's the one.

Don't apologise, that was a box brownie more than I had!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 2

Carnforth last day - 4 August 68, some newly named locos !!

post-6884-0-97801200-1533486439_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-79875400-1533486457_thumb.jpg

A lot more last week photos on my Flikr site below.

As others have said, days I'll remember all my life..

Brit15

• Like 14

"There's summat about British people and steam engines - it's their contribution to civilisation"

Very true statement (from above facebook link)

Here is a young Apollo 50 years and two days ago, standing in the cab, mates brother in the firemans seat (mate took the photo) Carnforth shed.

post-6884-0-48236000-1533502509_thumb.jpg

Edited to add - Just noticed (after 50 years !!) the head code on the Clayton is 1T60 - this was used on test trains for new / shopped locos from Crewe to Carlisle - lots of discussion re these trains on the "why was this rarely modeled" thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/page-17

So what train was this Clayton on ?

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 8

75009 was one of the last locomotives I saw being towed to Campbells Scrapyard in Airdrie, I later compiled a database of all locomotives scrapped in the Coatbridge/Airdrie area and have these notes: 75009, 75019, 75020 and 75048 last recorded at Carnforth 21/09/1968, noted on Carnforth-Leeds line 17/10/68 hauled by D206, broken up by Campbells Airdrie November 1968.  For a small yard Campbells had a voracious appetite for steam locomotives, consuming some 215 locomotives between November 1961 and November 1968,  Apparently their record was 42264 which arrived at the yard from storage at Polmadie on 16th September at 10:00am and was cut up by 4:15pm!!

Jim

• RMweb Gold

75019/48 were plainly good uns....in traffic until the end, and 75009 was a preservation candidate at one stage IIRC but had a minor firebox issue

75027 didn't appear in traffic in the photos here unless I have missed her....but not withdrawn until August 68. Was she quietly set aside for preservation in advance of withdrawal?

Phil

• Like 1

75019/48 were plainly good uns....in traffic until the end, and 75009 was a preservation candidate at one stage IIRC but had a minor firebox issue

75027 didn't appear in traffic in the photos here unless I have missed her....but not withdrawn until August 68. Was she quietly set aside for preservation in advance of withdrawal?

Phil

You've missed her, Phil.  :)

Here is 75027 at the back of Rose Grove shed on 10th July.

post-13986-0-51150300-1533573412.jpg

And here she is a short time later with steam being raised (although you wouldn't know it) having been dragged out of the siding.  I have no details of what duty she was on but I do remember the fire had just been lit which was why I took the photo.  These have appeared in earlier posts but I don't know which.

post-13986-0-00800200-1533573425.jpg

Chris Turnbull

• Like 16

Phil

You raise an interesting point, Phil.

According to my notes, I only saw this loco in action on one occasion in the two weeks I was in the area in July/August, and even then it was only a light engine move out of Carnforth shed and away to the south (if I remember correctly). Its green livery was clean enough to see the lining, certainly on the tender..

post-24907-0-52484300-1533574194_thumb.jpg

Seen from the footbridge across the main lines, 75027 heads south from Carnforth shed on 19th July 1968

Perhaps your post might tempt out other photos?

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 12

You've missed her, Phil.  :)

Here is 75027 at the back of Rose Grove shed on 10th July.

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 75027 8.9.jpg

And here she is a short time later with steam being raised (although you wouldn't know it) having been dragged out of the siding.  I have no details of what duty she was on but I do remember the fire had just been lit which was why I took the photo.  These have appeared in earlier posts but I don't know which.

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 75027 8.10.jpg

Chris Turnbull

The front numberplate appears to be reinstated by 19th July, Chris - unless it's a very good replica!

It also seems to have some sort of inscription on the smokebox door?

post-24907-0-20731400-1533574869_thumb.jpg

75027 leaving Carnforth shed for the south on 19th July 1968

Trevor

• Like 12

Going back to my view of 75027 (above) - the figure '5' on the smokebox looks slightly 'off', so it must be a home-made plate, but very convincing.

It also appears to have lost its electrification flashes at the front (below the steps). I had to lighten the original to clarify but they seem to have gone!

Regarding the inscription on the smokebox - lightening the picture shows the word 'please...' (I think!) Perhaps the start of  'Please save me for the Bluebell Railway' and then he ran out of space?  (Well, that's where it ended up, of course!)

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Smashing photos gentlemen - many thanks.  In Chris's photo at the back of Rose Grove she looks like she hasn't moved for a while....looks like she might have had a bit of a clean at Carnforth though....

Anything of her working a train I wonder? Or was she just trundled around to keep her fit?

Always liked the proportions of the Standard 4mt 4-6-0s - looked spot on to my eye

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Further to the story of 75027...

When steam banking of Shap ceased in April 1967 most of the Tebay locos were taken to Carlisle Upperby shed for storage. Although closed to steam in December 1966 it was still used to store withdrawn and other locos. Here is a photo I took around September 1967 of it on the shed where it could be found for the latter half of 1967 along with 75019. They were two of the lucky ones as most of the stored locos went for scrap.

post-19218-0-97715100-1533665578_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

You raise an interesting point, Phil.

According to my notes, I only saw this loco in action on one occasion in the two weeks I was in the area in July/August, and even then it was only a light engine move out of Carnforth shed and away to the south (if I remember correctly). Its green livery was clean enough to see the lining, certainly on the tender..

attachicon.gif(2116a) 75027 Carmforth19-7-68 (T Ermel).jpg

Seen from the footbridge across the main lines, 75027 heads south from Carnforth shed on 19th July 1968

Perhaps your post might tempt out other photos?

Cheers

Trevor

On Sunday 28th July 1968 75027, along with class mate 75019, worked the Carnforth to Skipton via Wennington section of The Severn Valley Railway and The Manchester Rail Travel Society special train from Birmingham to commemorate the end of BR standard gauge steam locomotive working.

Earlier in the year 75027 had been the regular Grayrigg bank engine waiting at Oxenholme to assist trains if required. It was at Oxenholme for this duty on the 4th May 1968, the last day a banker was rostored to be provided (from Carnforth shed).

The bank engine had been observed at Oxenholme on 19 days in the period from 1st to the 26th April - 75027 was on the duty on each of the 19 occasions. 75019 performed the work on 27th April, Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 44709 was the banker on 29th and 30th April and 75027 was back on the turn on 1st and 2nd May and on the last turn on the 4th (I have no record of which engine worked the turn on the 3rd May). (Information from the notes of Kendal based observer / enthusiast Ewan Preston).

The engine was probably photographed by Chris at Rose Grove whilst rostored for work on the Grassington branch, the locomotive working was a Rose Grove turn but in summer 1968 the engine used was one of Carnforth’s BR Standard Class 4MT 4-6-0s. 75027 was recorded on this working in May and June 1968.

I cannot see any reports of the loco at work after the rail tour mentioned above (there are photographs on Flickr dated 2nd August appearing to show it being shunted into the sidings near to Carnforth shed close to where other locomotives set aside for preservation were stored. There is another photo dated the 3rd August on Flickr showing the engine with it's chimney covered with sacking.

The loco was transferred from Skipton to Carnforth in January 1967 along with classmates 75019 and 75039. The 3 locos were reallocated to Tebay in April 1967. (Banking on Shap with steam locomotives didn't end in April 1967 – that was when the ex LMSR 2-6-4 tank engines were replaced by BR Standard class 4 4-6-0s which performed the duties until the end of December 1967 when (most) steam working ended over Shap). Whilst 75039 did work from Tebay and was withdrawn in September 1967, 75019 and 75027 appeared to have been stored at Upperby during summer 1967 (I've found photos of them stored  in June and August (75027) and September (75019) and a reference re. 75027 that it was 'held in reserve for banking duties but never was never called to do any (information from Bill Jamieson on the 'RailScot' website).

Thank you to everyone who has shared their memories and their photographs of the last standard gauge steam locos at work in summer 1968. I've really enjoyed these 50th anniversary memories -Thank you Tony Jenkinson (Morecambe)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful gen re 75027 Tony - many thanks for sharing

Phil

I believe that there are some photos of a BR Standard at work on the Grassington Branch in one of Donald Binns' books. I'll try and find my copy and post details.

Jamie

I believe that there are some photos of a BR Standard at work on the Grassington Branch in one of Donald Binns' books. I'll try and find my copy and post details.

Jamie

Don't forget also DaveF's excellent thread which contains many photos of standards on the Grassington branch. You can even play 'guess the colour'!

• Like 2

@ Old Gringo

What a mad day 4th August must have been, John, and you've captured it very well!

Just a pity I can't remember much about it, myself! (see my earlier post for that day)

Well, we've still got the accounts of the 'Fifteen Guinea Special' to look forward to in three days time. Hopefully someone who was on it can share his thoughts, as well as those who watched it go by.

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget also DaveF's excellent thread which contains many photos of standards on the Grassington branch. You can even play 'guess the colour'!

Absolutley!

Have done a search on Dave F's thread which hasnt come up with any 75027 photos on Grassington branch ... but did find this link to Carnforth on 2nd August

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/12595078733/in/photostream/

Phil

Well that was a tour de force John. What an evocative piece of prose. We ought to send this thread to a creative writing class as an example of superb work. Mind you it helps that the subject is so emotive and most of us were at that age when the wider world was opening up to us.

I may have mentioned it before but a book that I have read and re read several times is "Steam Railways in ret by O S Nock. In particular the last chapter when he describes two runs over Shap on the footplate of Stanier Pacifics. He abandons his usually precise semi technical writing and describes his feelings and the sheer emotional impact of being on the footplate of such magnificent machines as he went over Shap, knowing that it would probably be his last such journey.

The only other book that's very good is "The Mohawk that Refused to Abdicate and other tales of Steam" by David P Morgan with photos by Phillip Hastings. In this they document several safari's round the US and Canada in the 50's to see the last working steam.

Note. A Mohawk was a Ney York Central class of 4-8-2's.

Jamie

Thanks are due to Jamie for reminding me about these books.  With all the excitement of August 4th and the Finale, I nearly forgot to draft a more pertinent reply!

I too enjoy the last chapter of Oswald Nock's, 'Steam Railways in Retrospect', with the 1964 run of 'Duchess of Rutland'.  An engine which coincidentally nearly took my head off on 10th August 1964, whilst on a similar duty, when we were travelling back from Carlisle on a special day out spotting trip.  I had my head out and this huge front end came racing towards me, but you had to get the number, didn't you?

'The Mohawk that Refused to Abdicate" is a magic book: Brilliant writing from David Morgan, (who was at the time of publishing (1975) the Editor of 'Trains' magazine for Kalmbach, Milwaukee) 304 pages, plus hundreds of Philip Hastings photographs, with surely the most shiny metallic red and silver dust-jacket ever produced [1].  You don't have to be a steam-nut, like me, Paul, or Jamie to enjoy Morgan's lyrical style of writing and Hastings' superb photographs, just an enthusiast of the railways.

Here's part of the text that produced the title of the book (from page 180 onwards and dated September 1955) and I hope it's not breaking copyright rules too much to quote it almost in full.

"Then . .  well, right in the middle of all this to be exact, tension - intangible, unseen, quite real - began to build in the tower [2].  The dispatcher had temporarily lost track of Extra 3005 East and was attempting to pin down its location . . . . . .  The conversation, gave no direct hint of what was to come.  As a result neither Hastings nor I noticed a faint smudge of smoke building on the horizon to the west.  A distant whistling was adjudged to be yet another first class schedule, and we were scanning the timecard to identify it when another, nearer blast propelled us to trackside at the double".

"Why it's the extra! Can't be - he might just have - it is and he's rolling!"

"Rolling is mild language for what he was doing [3].  Extra 3005 East, now no less than 98 cars between tender and caboose, was bearing down on Shelby with all the implications of destiny of the Book of Revelations, gaining momentum with each revolution of those four pairs of 69 inch driving wheels, making the legal mile a minute with ease and perhaps a notch or two better.  The elephant-eared aristocrat of Alco [4] rammed across the diamond crossing with smoke going high, the Baker gear up in near center, and the crew enjoying the breeze".

"Out of her dusty wake came her train - rattling, rocking, rolling and riding [5] towards Cleveland at such a pace that, as Hastings recalls it, 'one felt called upon to wonder at what moment the whole shebang would take either to the air, or the adjacent countryside'. . . . . . . . . . "

"Wonderful!  Too often steam departs from us in the form of a fan trip that suffers a breakdown -  or in a line of dead power nursed to the junkers by a Geep [6] -  or as a local freight locomotive, wheezing out of town without ceremony or drama.  How much better to wind it up like the 3005, taking a quiet Ohio town apart, pinning its ears back and performing like Alco said her 4410 cylinder horsepower should perform."

This text overlays part of the sky of a double-page spread (p182/183) which has a photograph taken level with the rail head of the giant 4-8-2, #3005 powering across the diamond crossing, smoke going high in the sky and cars disappearing into a cloud of dust in the horizon.  Magnificent, now that's something I'd really like to have seen! Then there's the chapter beginning page 276, "The 2-10-0s that thought they could - and did!"  September 14, 1956.  All too much to read before lunch!

I cannot recommend this book enough and another associated favourite, containing Four Decades of Railroad Writing by David Morgan is, 'Confessions of a Train-Watcher', again published by Kalmbach, in 1997, edited by George Drury and which was compiled after Morgan's death.

You can never have too many books, no matter what the shelves tell you!

Happy reading.

All the very best,

John.

[1] Another couple of hours have just been spent enjoying this book!  What contrasts were available to the train-watchers in the States during the 1940s and early Fifties: from the Union Pacific's 'Big-Boys' to late Victorian 4-4-0s (Aka, the classic 'American').  Maybe my favourite photograph though is the double page spread (82/83), where an old 2-6-0 is in silhouette crossing a long truss girder bridge over a wide still river, set against a bleak industrial landscape. The magic of black & white photography at its best.

[2] tower = U.S. equivalent of signal cabin.  At Shelby, Ohio, the tower controlled the flat crossing of the New York Central's double-track main by the Baltimore & Ohio's Willard branch.

[3] No. 3005s Engineer, John Hitchko, who retired in 1970 after 47 years service on N.Y.C.

[4] 3005 was an L-3a New York Central 4-8-2, (a wheel arrangement dubbed 'Mohawks' on the N.Y.C.) equipped 'with elephant ears (AKA smoke deflectors) and built by Alco at Shenectady, New York in late 1940.

[5] Not in any way like the chorus of Morningtown Ride by the Seekers released in November 1966!

[6] A Geep is a type of American diesel locomotive.

• Like 3

Phil,

Hello!

Have a look at Dick Manton's Flickr site (Gricer1946), he has 5 good pictures of 75027 - 1 at Oxenholme on the bank engine duty and 4 on the Grassington train when the engine was in good external 'nick'. I've found a nice picture taken by L A Nixon in the October 1968 issue of the RCTS' 'Railway Observer' of the engine on the Grassington duty with the loco in the same condition as the 4 pictures mentioned above, it is dated 21st June 1968. I've also found a photo on the web (by Colin Garratt?) dated 17th June 1968 of the engine on Arnside viaduct with a long freight train heading towards Carnforth but I can't find anything about it working after the railtour on the 28th July 1968.

Regards Tony Jenkinson (from Morecambe)

• Like 1