Building pics/info request

grahame

I'm not sure where best to post this appeal but hopefully this is okay. I'm after any photos or information (name of it, address, plans, etc) about this building:

post-33-0-60214700-1515251281_thumb.jpg

The building is located on the north side of Tooley Street, SE1. The pic is dated 1992 but it would have been demolished around then and replaced with a modern carbuncle, not that the architecture of the building is particularly exciting.

I'm planning on making a model of it for a forthcoming layout set in 1980s. For other buildings in the area already modelled see here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/ including others in Tooley Street).

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

• 4 weeks later...

No responses yet, but I have managed to find an aerial shot of the area with the building in. It's rather blurry when zoomed in to feature it (the 50/60s office style white building centre and in the upper half) but it does give an idea of the size and shape.

post-33-0-33187700-1517493105.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't show the street level. So does anyone have any idea what the ground floor consisted of? Shops or perhaps something else. Although the model is very much compressed and compromised and I could make up what I think that part of the building looked like, it would be nice to know what really should be there.  So, again, does anyone have any knowledge or reference, particularly photographs, that will help?

I don't even know the name of the building, or even if it has one, so if anyone knows that . . . . . . 

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Hi Grahame,

You probably have already found this document in your earlier searches but if not it does give names for the buildings on the North side of Tooley Street, most of them are listed and your 1960's one would certainly not be but you may be able to cross reference & locate it to those named. Pages 7 & 8 seem to be the area of your interest.

www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/4122/tooley_street_character_area

Hope this is of some use.

Martin

You probably have already found this document in your earlier searches but if not it does give names for the buildings on the North side of Tooley Street, most of them are listed and your 1960's one would certainly not be but you may be able to cross reference & locate it to those named. Pages 7 & 8 seem to be the area of your interest.

www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/4122/tooley_street_character_area

Hope this is of some use.

Many thanks for that. I'd not seen it before.

I've been through it - and it's a very interesting document. It covers all the buildings currently in Tooley Street, but being written at the turn of the millennium, the block I'm interested in had been demolished and replaced by a Hilton Hotel (which is featured in a couple of the pics). But it is very useful, especially for other buildings I still need to make.

Another similar, but less comprehensive, document is

http://www.exploringsouthwark.co.uk/tooley-street/4594181061

But it also skips over that short section of Tooley Street (north side). And earlier maps tend not to include the buildings as the old Victorian warehousing was still in place.

I think I'm going to have to make up the street level frontage and the buildings to the west of it (of which the roofs just show over the top of the SER office 'flat iron' building in the B&W photo above). They'll be at the back of the layout and obscured by the buildings on the other side of the street so perhaps the ground level floor will not be noticeable and I'll get away with it.

G

• RMweb Gold

I think this is a bit further west, and significantly older than the building you are after, but it was taken in Tooley St in 1978.

post-6902-0-56682900-1517569306_thumb.jpg

This building might be no 51, as looking at the more recent large scale maps at NLS, there are 2 TCBs marked, which I assume are telephone call boxes

hth

Dave