Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Last I heard they are due in the summer 2018 July/August but then if they are on a slow boat from China ! who knows.

You could have built at least 6 Comet kits by July and probably a dozen conversions using Comet Sides and Dapol Kits/donor carcasses.

Andy Handy

Matey, when I worked for a big Model Shop in the South over 20 years ago they were a main dealer for a top producer of Continental HO stock. Some loco's then were priced at more than £200 and they were not DCC. We have been very lucky in this country and still are really and yes, I understand that £200+ is getting challenging when you don't have an income that can support such purchases, but the quality of models now is easily as good as these Continental models were back then.  

Phil

Fair enough, I have no exposure to HO models other than an ancient Lima GWR King class loco, I think, when I was a kid in the '70s - so it's interesting to hear of the price and detail comparisons echoed on here. I would imagine that £200+ is very challenging for all but the middle-aged who have often worked up to a suitable earnings bracket.

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough, I have no exposure to HO models other than an ancient Lima GWR King class loco, I think, when I was a kid in the '70s - so it's interesting to hear of the price and detail comparisons echoed on here. I would imagine that £200+ is very challenging for all but the middle-aged who have often worked up to a suitable earnings bracket.

Yes pom. Didn't mean to sound narky at all. I know of some 'young' people that wouldn't blink about spending £200 on clothes or booze.

Each to their own I suppose.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

ref the catalogue, one obvious omission ive noticed is colas 37099 'Merl Evans' would that be because its classed as a 2017 release with no 're-release' planned for 2018?

also the price list is missing the word 'vat', ive put my foot through the catalog and sent Bachmann the bill (with vat)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My catalogue arrived in the post today so for the first time I've had an overview of what's announced this year.

Might consider buying a Glyn Valley Tramway Baldwin 4-6-0T (391-029) because I already own a Peco/Farish 0-6-0 GVT tram loco and Peco 4-wheelers.

Otherwise I'll buy a C.P. Perry & Son PO wagon (37-117) as the prototype was based in Birmingham, my place of birth.

• Like 1

I’ve got the brochure and nice and shiny it is too....

We have both a class 44 in green and blue - a freight only machine that died out in about 1980. But no class 45/6 which were longer lived and included passenger work....not forgetting the oft asked for sealed beam version.

The class 70 in colas appears to have disappeared , replaced by a freightliner 70 with air intake mods. I thought they’d keep that in the catalogue longer as the FL is a bit more limited what can be pulled..

47/0 in blue stays the same as has been for some time.

66.....no DB colours ? These young whipper snappers who Model today’s railway will be crying out for one I’d think....and they must have brought the licence as they have the ex EWS shed with DB branding...

Must be some logic to it I guess

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

I’ve got the brochure and nice and shiny it is too....

We have both a class 44 in green and blue - a freight only machine that died out in about 1980. But no class 45/6 which were longer lived and included passenger work....not forgetting the oft asked for sealed beam version.

The class 70 in colas appears to have disappeared , replaced by a freightliner 70 with air intake mods. I thought they’d keep that in the catalogue longer as the FL is a bit more limited what can be pulled..

47/0 in blue stays the same as has been for some time.

66.....no DB colours ? These young whipper snappers who Model today’s railway will be crying out for one I’d think....and they must have brought the licence as they have the ex EWS shed with DB branding...

Must be some logic to it I guess

Yes defies logic why there wasn't a Class 66 in DB Red from Bachmann but even more perplexing there was no Class 60 in DB Red from Hornby, maybe they like to see their customers squirm at filthy prices for their previous iterations on eBay as some sort of voyeurism...

Must admit there have been enough Class 66's flooding the market in the past year so understand why there was no 66 in DB red.

Please don't tell me the Colas 70 has been dropped?

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

The "Red box" company will be getting the Lions share of my cash for 2018.The only item that I will definately be purchasing from Bachmann will be the green disc type 4.

You WILL change your mind when you see the beautiful newly tooled class 25 !!!

As pointed out earlier, it's strange that two Colas locos are not in the catalogue (37099 & class 70) but 37421 is there?? Have they been sold out to retailers already?

That is baffling, go to any online model rail shop and you can pre-order both those Colas loco's.

Yes pom. Didn't mean to sound narky at all. I know of some 'young' people that wouldn't blink about spending £200 on clothes or booze.

Each to their own I suppose.

Phil

Hi Phil, no offence taken at all. I think you've just nailed it - I actually did spend just over £200 without a moan on a jacket and a pair of shoes for work a couple of days ago... with inflation lately, £200 is just not a lot of money these days yet we perceive it to be so for a highly detailed model locomotive. Perhaps it's because many of us can justify spending that on a jacket to our other half but find it more challenging when it comes to a model locomotive.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil, no offence taken at all. I think you've just nailed it - I actually did spend just over £200 without a moan on a jacket and a pair of shoes for work a couple of days ago... with inflation lately, £200 is just not a lot of money these days yet we perceive it to be so for a highly detailed model locomotive. Perhaps it's because many of us can justify spending that on a jacket to our other half but find it more challenging when it comes to a model locomotive.

Or it maybe that I use my Jacket and shoes every day or every weekend,and derive value from that, while I run my latest £200 mega model once in a blue moon .

Or it maybe that I use my Jacket and shoes every day or every weekend,and derive value from that, while I run my latest £200 mega model once in a blue moon .

Or maybe it's the fact that there are cheaper alternates available which cost nowhere near that and the increased price on a higher quality is more of a choice...

• RMweb Gold

Though some might well do the opposite. :jester:

Or maybe it's the fact that there are cheaper alternates available which cost nowhere near that and the increased price on a higher quality is more of a choice...

The same applies to clothes and shoes. I don't bat an eyelid at paying the best part of £100 for a pair of shoes but plenty of people balk at even half that.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is baffling, go to any online model rail shop and you can pre-order both those Colas loco's.

Hornby has been accused of the same thing in the past. Neither Bachmann, Hornby nor other manufacturers can really be expected to know which models that they have sold out of are still available from retailers, so they tend to omit them from catalogues so the likes of us as customers don't get disappointed, annoyed (choose your own adjective) because something in a "new" catalogue is not actually available.

Where this argument falls down of course is for those models that B/H/etc. have sold out to pre-order, but which have not yet been released. There seems to me to be no reason why these shouldn't be included in the catalogue because it will be available from retailers in due course. Indeed the retailers arguably have a right to complain if they are not because omitting them might depress pre-orders/sales from them because their customers don't know from the catalogue that the model even exists.

Perhaps in the case of the COLAS locos, Bachmann expected them to have been delivered to retailers - and potentially sold out - by the time the catalogue was released.

• RMweb Gold

I don't bat an eyelid at paying the best part of £100 for a pair of shoes but plenty of people balk at even half that.

Check out a Clark's outlet shop. The one in Torquay regularly sells really good shoes for half price.