TTS

thesteambuff

Make sure you get replacements with correct 8-ohms rating. Some original round speakers have been flaky and people find that cube speakers work well and the smaller ones are easier to find space for.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

One of the problems I faced when experimenting with TTS, is the speaker is absolutely huge in comparison with other sound chips.  I fitted the A1 tornado chip to an early Bachmann model, but found that trying to fit the enormous speaker in was a real pain. It wouldn't even fit in the tender!  In the end I swapped the speaker to a Zimo sugar cube, which seems to have worked, and allowed me to fit the speaker in the smoke box.  

I'll try to get a video of the loco later and post it up for reference.

• RMweb Premium

I have replaced the speaker on a TTS sound fitted Class 40. There’s loads of room inside for a good sized speaker, I used a 28x40mm speaker to good effect. It gives a sound that is both crisper and richer than the original.

But as mentioned above, do be careful to get the impedance right.

I have replace the speaker on a Vitrains class 37 and 47, i used a bass reflex speaker which greatly improved the sound quality. The only watch out as stated above make sure the new speaker is the correct 8-ohms rating

Regards

Andy

Would be louder if it was 4 ohms.     Charlie

Afternoon all

Quick question. I have been setting up my class 31 chip with a powercab and ever since I changed the powercab to access functions over f12 the horn sounds after every other sound I select has played. Any ideas folks ?

Many thanks

Hi,

Thought I might experiment with a couple of TTS decoders so got myself 1-CL47 and 2-CL37 and fitted the 20x40 speakers from Richard Croft which vastly improved the sound quality.

After fitting the decoder in a Vi-trains 47 I had to alter CVs 151/152 as per Hornby Tech Services it seem to improve the 'stutter' effect. However, I fitted the two Vi-trains 37s with the decoders of which only one seemed to run okay whilst the other suffers from a bad stutter and the lights don't work in one direction. Having altered CVs again and the EMF,it doesn't seem to help. I have now come to the conclusion that the decoder is at fault as when fitted with a non-sound decoder the loco runs normal and lights work in both directions. Any ideas as what to do next before I return to retailer.

Regards, Bill.

Bill

It could be your TTS decoder is one of those that needs its firmware reprogrammed by Hornby and it has slipped through the net.

Call HCC to arrange to get it done.

Chris

Is your track complete loops with/without a bus. If so you may want to try gapping the track in each loop. You could try fitting RC snubbers to the track or bus to eliminate any spurious signals which may be causing your extra toots. There is plenty of advice not to make your bus into a loop but trackage is usually always laid as a continous loop.

Rob

Bill

It could be your TTS decoder is one of those that needs its firmware reprogrammed by Hornby and it has slipped through the net.

Call HCC to arrange to get it done.

Chris

Is your track complete loops with/without a bus. If so you may want to try gapping the track in each loop. You could try fitting RC snubbers to the track or bus to eliminate any spurious signals which may be causing your extra toots. There is plenty of advice not to make your bus into a loop but trackage is usually always laid as a continous loop.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Been onto Hornby Tech Services this morning and like you said, its a decoder issue and I am having it replaced.

Cheers, Bill.

• RMweb Premium

I’m glad you mentioned this issue I ran my 37 around a bit of test track yesterday and put the stutter down to dirty track. Trying again today mine appears to have the same symptoms as others mentioned on here so I too shall be contacting Hornby.

Edited by Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

I phoned Hornby and changed cv’s as suggested but to no avail, I have four tts decoders, one is in the railroad fitted 31, and the others are the solo 37, 47 and 60 chips. Only the 60 goes at slow speed the others all share the same slow running stutter issue. I will be returning the offending chips for reprogramming. As for postage I’m paying to return but I assume Hornby will pay to send back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Who is paying the postage for all these duff decoders going back and forth?

Paul

Have a guess Paul!

I suspect owner pays to return it then Hornby to send it back.  One or two have done this already so they will be able to say for certain.  I understand what you are getting at though.  Under warranty terms they are being fixed but the owner should not have to pay for decoders not doing what they should.

Hi,

Having received my replacement CL37 TTS decoder from Hornby I set about fitting it to Bachmann model. I got the the same 'stutter' and set about changing CV151 to 255 and CV152 to 1. but it doesn't like the Bachmann 37.

The Vi trains 37 fairs much better and respond to the change.

Are there any other CV's I should be looking to change or considering the previous posts regarding faulty decoders should I treat mine the same as it still stutters???

Bill.

Who is paying the postage for all these duff decoders going back and forth?

Paul

I sent a Class 31 back to Hornby for a reblow and after returning it to me promptly I then received a cheque to cover my cost of postage to them.

Excellent service! Thank you Hornby.

I spent a good hour this evening trying to get mine running right, I got it better than it was but it’s not perfect. I switched to the alternative alithogram, I think it was cv150 to 1 to change that, then I changed 153 to 255 and 154 to 1. It sets off slightly too quick in speed step 1 but runs fairly smoothly, especially in speed step 2 onwards. Still happy with it for the money, I’m impressed how customisable it is through the CV settings.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, I've spent most of this morning trying to get this Bachmann 37 to run smoothly but with little success. Both my Vitrains 37 and 47 seem ok but just might try your option on them to see if there is any difference.

Oh! and I will be getting in touch for another 20 x 40 speaker☺!

Have a guess Paul!

I suspect owner pays to return it then Hornby to send it back.  One or two have done this already so they will be able to say for certain.  I understand what you are getting at though.  Under warranty terms they are being fixed but the owner should not have to pay for decoders not doing what they should.

I had a blown TTS decoder in my A4 less than 1 year old.

Hornby asked me to return the loco which I did.

£3.90 postage to post it to them.

When I received it back something was catching and jamming the valve gear so back it went, another £3.90.

Received it back after repair and still jamming and catching.

Another £3.90 to send it back.

Finally received it back running OK.

They refunded all my postage costs under their T&C so you should get postage refund if not send them an email.

Wiggy.

Edited by wiggy1
  • Like 1