South Notts Model Railway Show 2018

Les1952

South Notts Model Railway Show 2018

at Cotgrave Welfare

Woodview, Cotgrave, Notts NG12 3PJ

on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th April 2018.

opening at 10am both days.

At least 16 layouts.  Ten traders.

Adults £5.  Concessions £4.  Children £3.  Family group (2 adults plus ANY children) £12.

Trevor Webster Memorial

Trevor Webster passed away early last year following a long battle with cancer.  He was a very good  friend and was responsible for finding Bingham MRC's current clubrooms at RAF Newton and negotiating our long-term lease of the rooms.  .

post-13358-0-75603800-1515278329_thumb.jpg

He built four exhibition layouts in his later years. 

The first, Parnhams Maltings won the Layout trophy at the N-Gauge Society AGM having been built especially for the competition.  It was subsequently exhibited at Bingham MRC's first exhibition in Whatton Village Hall and at the N Gauge Society's exhibition in Grimsby the following year.

The second layout, Parnhams Maltings was based on the Redmile area South West of Belvoir Castle and set in the late nineteen thirties.  This enjoyed success at several shows including Warley, Nottingham and Taunton, and was featured in BRM.  Both this and the earlier Parnhams layout were sold to private owners and we have lost touch with them.

The third layout is Stamford East, featured last month in BRM and previously by Railway Modeller.  This was modelled on the real station, omitting the connection to the Midland line.  All buildings on the layout were modelled from actual prototypes. Trevor sold this layout to Robin Fox of Manchester MRC, who still exhibits it.

Trevor's final layout was Whatton Parva, based "somewhere in England" on a Colonel Stephens line taken over by the War Department and upgraded in places to act as a secondary through route.  The station was modelled on Tenterden, though other buldings were inspired from several counties both East and North.  This layout has passed to Jim Ross and was exhibited in Trevor's memory at Warley last November.

We are able to present Whatton Parva and Stamford East together for the first time ever at the show this year.  It may also be the ONLY time they will be seen together as Jim is retiring Whatton Parva after the show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Layouts attending - confirmed

Ashtown                                          (N)                 sixties to seventies BR

Brook Lane                                     (N)                 late eighties/early nineties

Godric's Hollow                             (OO)              BR fifties to seventies

Idrighay                                          (OO)              LMS 1930s

Loughborough Derby Road           (N)  

Magna Park                                   (N)                  fifties to sixties BR

Operation Abyss                           (OO)               World War II

Piedmont Blues                             (O)                  Georgia USA c1965

Pointless Little Roundy Roundy     (N)                 freelance

Soarston                                       (OO)                sixties

Stamford East                               (N)                  BR Eastern, sixties

Tinners Wharf                                (N)                 BR seventies

Tremawn                                       (OO)              fifties Western region

Uppingham                               (3mm scale)       c1960

Whatton Parva                              (N)                 World War II

Zieika Ost                                      (N)                German

plus a couple more still to be confirmed.

Les

• Like 2

Traders confirmed as attending

BOOKLAW PUBLICATIONS       Nottingham

BRICKYARD MODELS               Balderton

PETER GURD                            Nottingham

J&C MODELS                            East Goscote

MALC'S MODELS                      Ilkeston

MRSG                                        Grantham

ONLINE MODELS                     Heanor  

SHERWOOD MODELS             Nottingham

STARLIGHT MODELS              Wellingborough

STEPHENSON CARRIAGES    Old Tupton

In addition there will be the usual club sales stand just inside the entrance (nurse, the screens.....)

Edited by Les1952

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just finished the floor plan and, apart from one layout I've had to assume dimensions for...

IT FITS (it fits..... it fits.....)

Picks self off floor in wonderment.

Thinks to self- book a couple more 6 footers next year to make it fit better....

First public picture

post-13358-0-37124200-1519590774_thumb.jpg

Soarston Low Level by Bingham MRC.  Shown under construction.

This will be its first public outing.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice piece in Railway Modeller today about the Trevor Webster memorial.

Just a reminder-

Final chance to see Trevor's Whatton Parva before Jim retires it.  If anyone wants to buy the layout I'm sure Jim will be willing to have a conversation.

First  time that Whatton Parva and Stamford East will have been seen in public together, and very possibly the only time that it will happen.

Les

• 4 weeks later...

296 fliers posted through letter boxes on the new estate built on the site of Cotgrave Colliery.  Two and a half-hours to walk round and post them. All new letterboxes, hard on the back due to the height and difficult to open.

Just over a fortnight to the show.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Two changes-

Idridgehay is poorly, so narrow gauge layout FELLWOOD has been substituted.

Stephenson Carriages are unable to attend.

On the positive side we have a raffle each day for a Hornby train set. (one per day).

Les

Just about to set off to get the venue ready.

I need to call in at the BINGHAM TOWNHOUSE hotel to pay them.  We like to give our layout owners needing to travel the best we can find in the area.... Only problem with this hotel is it isn't easy to find the vehicle entrance - thinks "Did I remember to put the directions and map in the appropriate welcome pack?" - answer yes.

This will be on the reception desk, or at least an more finished version of it will....

post-13358-0-81782200-1523616394_thumb.jpg

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Day 1 seemed to go well.  Numbers appear slightly up on last year.  Hopefully a bigger increase tomorrow- most punters seemed to think it is a very good show that deserves to be better attended.

post-13358-0-20411900-1523739565.jpg

Stamford East

post-13358-0-89565300-1523739616.jpg

Whatton Parva.

Unless Jim manages to sell Whatton Parva tomorrow then your last chance to see these two fine layouts side by side is definitely tomorrow.

Les

It was most definitely a great show. We really enjoyed being there, and myself and Ford hope that we contributed with Piedmont Blues. :)

Sunday was definitely much busier than Saturday. I heard there were events going on in the city on Saturday, which might have tied up a good portion of the general public. :)

First attempt at the accounts are now in.

Footfall is up on last year, not by a huge amount- the first estimate is a little over 600 compared with 570.  Still it is the most we have managed so far, though the general opinion amongst the punters was that it was a good show and deserves to reach a wider audience.  Perhaps if one or two feelers I have out come to fruition we will have a major crowd puller next year.  More will be revealed if and when it happens.

Financially we made more than enough to cover last year's loss- exactly how much will be decided by the actual size of the bill for the show guides and our ability to extract cash/cheques from the advertisers- the latter should be OK though one advertiser failed to pay up last year.  The hex I put on him seems to have worked as he has since gone out of business.....

Many thanks to all involved. 

Les

BTW -  the Trevor Webster trophy for best layout went to loughborough Derby Road and the trophy for Favourite layout as judged by the punters went to Operation Abyss.  Some 50% of the punters actually voted.

The two train sets in the raffle were won by a young lady with two smallish children from Cotgrave and a gent from Grantham. 

Edited by Les1952

Overheard in a local model shop today:  "I went to the South Notts. show at Cotgrave at t'weekend.  It wan't bad, in fact it were quite good - but it were nearly all N-gauge, and I hadn't taken me glasses, so I were really strugglin' to see what were goin' on!"

Take note for next year!!

Overheard in a local model shop today:  "I went to the South Notts. show at Cotgrave at t'weekend.  It wan't bad, in fact it were quite good - but it were nearly all N-gauge, and I hadn't taken me glasses, so I were really strugglin' to see what were goin' on!"

Take note for next year!!

Youv'e not brought your glasses, your not coming in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did have one OO layout drop out to be replaced by one in OO9 which didn't help the balance, and of course the Trevor Webster Memorial aisle was N as that was the scale Trevor modelled in.  Incidentally the very first model railway exhibition at Cotgrave Welfare was 100% N- it would be as it was hosted by the N Gauge Society......

Next year's show will have a large OO roundy-roundy taking up 50% of the available ground-level space (2' X 15') and the other confirmed layouts include 3 more OO (and 4 N).

My own "NO PLACE" is a reserve layout for next year as well.

As ever, with very little in the way of straight walls once that middle block is filled I have to find layouts with owners willing to cart them up stairs- and more of the layouts in that category are N than OO.   Can people in the East Midlands please build some more small OO exhibition layouts, preferably sub-ten feet length?  Likewise anyone who has one of these I don't know about please PM me and I'll look at possibly including you next year.

Les