Bachmann GUV, PARCEL VAN etc

I've been converting as batch of standard GUV's into the NLX/NPX corridor variant of the vehicle so I have a bit of experience in the subject.

The short answer is yes they can. There are two screws at either end of the body shell which you'll need to remove first and then it's just a case of gentle running your finger nail carefully under the side of the body as the windows have a fixing to secure the body to the chassis.

All the best

David

I've been converting as batch of standard GUV's into the NLX/NPX corridor variant of the vehicle so I have a bit of experience in the subject.

The short answer is yes they can. There are two screws at either end of the body shell which you'll need to remove first and then it's just a case of gentle running your finger nail carefully under the side of the body as the windows have a fixing to secure the body to the chassis.

All the best

David

Thank you David will have a try this morning

Just to confirm these two screws they hold the bogies on ?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally got round to getting moving on my Motorail Buckeye GUV (to become the Vintage Trains Water Carrier). I've sourced a pair of spare Dapol Class 73 Buffer Beams and centre rubbing plates which look to be standard BR coach/MU fitments. Will trim the rubbing plate stocks off the buffer beam and graft onto the GUV buffer beam. Need to work out NEM pocket and buffer distances to see how far out the centre buffer should be (ideally it will be close coupled to the adjoining Mk1 BSK Support coach).

Of interest, I bought my first Mk1 GUV from Modelzone (price matched to Signal Box as they were then doing) for £17.50 in March 2011. RRP was £23.30. With inflation this is now around £30 (and my discounted price around £21.60). I'm amazed that the RRP of these models is now £58!!! (OK, some discounted to around £45 to 50).  I just don't understand how labour costs in China have hit the model railway sector so much harder than other products that drive UK and global inflation. I appreciated that prices rise, this is inflation... but taking the GUV as an example, RRP is now almost twice the price it was 10 years ago, INCLUDING the effects of inflation.

I've just purchased a Kernow SR Green GUV at the 'bargain' price of £25... so a little more than the inflationary discount price £17.50 I paid for my maroon one back in 2011.

My Maroon GUV to be used for my Tyseley conversion cost around £34 when I purchased it a 18 months ago... so a little over RRP+inflation since 2011...

46 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I just don't understand how labour costs in China have hit the model railway sector so much harder than other products that drive UK and global inflation.

Because apart from the 500% increase in shipping costs linked to by Metroland, the market for model railway bits (especially the minority interest which is British OO) is miniscule compared to other consumer goods. Apple sells between 40 and 50 million Ipads a year  that's a lot more units to spread any additional cost around. 

• RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2020 at 13:50, G-BOAF said:

Can anyone advise if there are suitable Mk1 centre buffing plates available to fit to the Motorail GUV?

Either plastic or white metal.

i.e. http://www.nwrail.org.uk/rh150520-cct.jpg

The Judith Edge white metal SR EMU version lacks the shanks on the end of the pistons.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/jedetail/jesouthern/buffers/4-cw211

Any points appreciated

Replica RA109.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/mainsep1/menuaccess

Mike.

19 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

It's not just labour, container costs have risen VERY steeply (American example here but same applies to UK)

https://www.reuters.com/business/china-us-container-shipping-rates-sail-past-20000-record-2021-08-05/

18 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Because apart from the 500% increase in shipping costs linked to by Metroland, the market for model railway bits (especially the minority interest which is British OO) is miniscule compared to other consumer goods. Apple sells between 40 and 50 million Ipads a year  that's a lot more units to spread any additional cost around. 

In procrastination mode, just trying to work out how much of an impact container prices will have on models, and I really can't square it with the price rises we are seeing, even with your arguments of unit cost above.

A 40ft container has (according to google) internal dimensions of 12m x 3.35m x 2.39m

Lets assume a container is loaded with locos on old Hornby boxes (split polystyrene packaging - that's all I have to hand), I reckon you could fit around 29000 loco models in there (allowing for outer packing cartons).

Maybe around 35k coach models, or 70k wagon models.

In 2020, with shipping at $2k/container, shipping cost per model was around 7 cents.

At current price is is 70 cents. With bogie rolling stock, slightly less as they can be more densely packed, wagons more so.

Thus, rounding things up and adjusting currency, it really should cost around £1, maybe with increase in domestic transport and fuel, £2 to ship a model from factory.

So I'm struggling to understanding where the remaining £25.60 (allowing for VAT mark up on shipping costs) in increase in GUV prices (as an example) comes from....!!!