Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

Well, Mrs SRman and I had a lovely evening with DougN, Mrs DougN, and the mini DougNs. I took my Bachmann H1 Atlantic in LBSC livery over for a trial on Doug's gradients, and it acquitted itself very well. I took a small amount of video on my phone, with Doug's D11 also running. Excuse the slight shakiness - using the stabilisation filters tends to make the motion slightly stuttery instead.

I have posted this on DougN's own layout thread too.
  • Like 3

Still unsure on the vertical bits on the coal rails, I decided to weather the rather bright cab roof, tender top and add real coal. A difficult decision on an expensive model but one that I feel greatly improves the overall look.

Both would have never been spotless unless when freshly painted. But I would have thought the LBSC tried to keep its engines looking clean when in service. I achieved this using a dark wash mostly removed with cotton buds to add streaking especially to the roof.

Edit: the picture doesn't do the tender top justice, its an awkward colour to photograph

post-32859-0-91012100-1545828855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 9

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Anyone yet resprayed a La France into War Black livery? :)

I've actually resprayed my H2 (Wrong thread, I know) into both war ad post war liveries, 

46469228895_ddeca23562_b.jpg

47331554222_906b013276_b.jpg

I went to go and varnish the black and I didn't like the way it came out so I stripped it and accidentally painted it green!

The current H1 release has a few detail differences that would exclude it from being correct for a wartime black H1, the cab would be the main one I think - if you were serious about it though, you could email Bachmann and see if it was possible to get an H2 cab as a full sub assembly and swap it out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...

Rails of Sheffield are now selling the H1 and H2 at a discount.

31-910 LBSCR H1 £159 - 20% discount.

31-920 Southern olive H2 £144.50 - 24% discount

31-921 BR black H2 £124.50 - 34% discount.

It looks like the LBSCR version is the most popular but I would have thought that more people have British Railways layouts.

Lately I've noticed several BR items reduced more so than their grouping and pre grouping variants. Perhaps BR popularity is finally starting to dwindle as earlier layouts become easier to model with rtr...? Certainly there seems to be a flavour for pre grouping models at the moment. 

Is the market influenced by what people model, or is what people model influenced by what's available on the market? (I know it is not as black and white as that) 

• Like 3

It could be that a lot of pre-grouping colours have appeared in preserved lines, creating a lot of interest. Also don't forget the steampunk fashion at the moment. I see a lot of young interesting in dressing up in an Edwardian/Victorian style (doubtless helped by Harry Potter).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Invoice received for these yesterday, I'm hoping they'll drop onto our doormat today (or be placed carefully, I should say...). Hopefully they'll be arriving at your local model shop then too! :smile_mini: Drop them a line if you're after one, they look luuurvvvley!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Has anyone re-wheeled / re-gauged one of these - or an H2 ............ i.e. what size driving axles are fitted ? ( the rest should be straightforward )

Oooh, thinking of going EM/P4?

I can check the axle dia. later on for you.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Rails of Sheffield has their DCC ready example of 31-911 'Portland Bill' at full retail price yet other suppliers including my own have theirs at around £186 to £199? Was quite surprised when I saw the price on Rails website tbh...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/41847/Bachmann-31-911-oo-gauge-lb-scr-h1-atlantic-2038-portland-bill-sr-malachite-green

28 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Does anyone know why Rails of Sheffield has their DCC ready example of 31-911 'Portland Bill' at full retail price yet other suppliers including my own have theirs at around £186 to £199? Was quite surprised when I saw the price on Rails website tbh...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/41847/Bachmann-31-911-oo-gauge-lb-scr-h1-atlantic-2038-portland-bill-sr-malachite-green

Looks like Kernow also have them at RRP, interestingly enough, when I checked my pre-order with Rails, it said the normal DCC ready one was sold out on pre-order, maybe they have some extra allocation and for whatever reason, these ones are in high demand, and are being sold for more?

I'm really interested to hear more from people who ordered the Sound fitted one, what's the sound like?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...