Bachmann announce RTR 009 Quarry Hunslets, Slate wagons and Ashover Light Railway coaches

Skinnylinny

• RMweb Gold

They are clearly as preserved locos - Alice has a strange looking injector on her tank

That strange looking injector sat on our mantelpiece for years while my dad restored Alice in the garage, I’ll ask him tomorrow what it came off originally

• Like 1

I suspect that the vast majority will be used on freelance layouts, so I reckon people won't be too bothered about the livery as long as it's reasonably generic and pretty. Certainly that's my plan, at any rate.

Put it this way, I'm not seeing a whole lot of people bemoaning the fact that there's no accurate stock to run with e.g. their Dinorwic-liveried example...

Aren't some of them going to be in preservation era liveries as well?

All of them will, apart from the Penrhyn one. 

I suspect that the vast majority will be used on freelance layouts, so I reckon people won't be too bothered about the livery as long as it's reasonably generic and pretty. Certainly that's my plan, at any rate.

Put it this way, I'm not seeing a whole lot of people bemoaning the fact that there's no accurate stock to run with e.g. their Dinorwic-liveried example...

You can't really operate a slate quarry prototypically in model form, and most of 009 in general is not even close to prototypical anyway so Bachmann can paint them pink for all it matters, people will buy them. Dinorwig rolling stock is available from RT Models though. 

• RMweb Gold

You can't really operate a slate quarry prototypically in model form,

Why not? You can load lumps of slate and even work inclines. Plenty of other wagonloads have to be handled in model form for operation.

and most of 009 in general is not even close to prototypical anyway

Do you really mean it like that? That looks a rather sweeping statement and just a tad elitist when there a lot of very realistic and good 009 layouts.

Your models are superb but that phrasing makes it look like everyone should reach such levels to be prototypical.

My 009 is pure fantasy and so therefore when i've finished it hopefully before xmas i can make up whatever fantasy operations, liveries and wagon loads & moves with it i like! As much as my imagination will allow without limitations, we can't all model the exact same prototypical things all the time or to the same high quality standards as a lot on here can. I think us folks who model in this fantasy way are a lot braver, especially when we are willing to buy what are expensive & very nice rtr models to start with, and then we have the balls into taking the scalpel and the paint brushes to them, making them our own thing and not another clone.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

My 009 is pure fantasy and so therefore when i've finished it hopefully before xmas i can make up whatever fantasy operations, liveries and wagon loads & moves with it i like! As much as my imagination will allow without limitations, we can't all model the exact same prototypical things all the time or to the same high quality standards as a lot on here can. I think us folks who model in this fantasy way are a lot braver, especially when we are willing to buy what are expensive & very nice rtr models to start with, and then we have the balls into taking the scalpel and the paint brushes to them, making them our own thing and not another clone.

What I love about narrow gauge is the need to use our creativity to produce the 'atmosphere' of our chosen theme, (whatever that might be). Some folk prefer an exact prototype to work towards, and that's absolutely fine by me, but I prefer to work with my own vision of what looks and feels 'right'. Who could not be enchanted by Nile's 'Scarside' elsewhere on this forum yet no prototype exists?  Narrow gauge provides an ideal near blank canvas to use our imagination. HC

• Like 1

What I love about narrow gauge is the need to use our creativity to produce the 'atmosphere' of our chosen theme, (whatever that might be). Some folk prefer an exact prototype to work towards, and that's absolutely fine by me, but I prefer to work with my own vision of what looks and feels 'right'. Who could not be enchanted by Nile's 'Scarside' elsewhere on this forum yet no prototype exists? Narrow gauge provides an ideal near blank canvas to use our imagination. HC

My 009 layouts are usually either freelance or based loosely on an unusual prototype, but often combining various influences to make my own thing, imaginative but hopefully looking like it might have existed in real life, even though it didn't exactly. I like it this way - keeping the model vaguely plausible but allowing plenty of room to be creative.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Out of interest, in terms of scale or size, how big are these locos going to be?

For example, I have a Bachmann TTTE Rheneas and Skarloey so should i expect something of a similar size? Would they look out of place with Peco 009 stock of the non slate wagon variety (disregarding prototypical history for a moment as I don't model a specific prototype).

G

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The thread showing the 2018 Bachmann announcements included details at the bottom of the first post showing the position of each of the locos, the Hunslets show as in the Drawing Office. As this is direct from Bachmann I would take the info to be more accurate?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-Bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/

The winter 2018 copy of Bachmann Times show the quarry hunslets are still at the drawing stage. Looks like its going to be a bit of a wait... Edited by Captainalbino
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 28/08/2020 at 10:06, joppyuk1 said:

Thanks. Going to be a long wait. I really don't understand this business of announcing things years before they go into production. 

That's why they changed it so since February every 3 months there's an announcement of what's due in that quarter. 

Atm collectors club members still get updates of how already announced products  are progressing, that may change once all those eventually get released.