• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, darren01 said:

So are these coaches being re tooled or just having a new paint job?.

1 hour ago, bigherb said:

Retooled I hope, the old ones where pretty dire with their raised door lines and thick sides.

They are different coaches (shallow ventilators), so completely new tooling.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

They are different coaches (shallow ventilators), so completely new tooling.

The ones initially being produced in green do have the shallow (11") ventilators, but the ones in crimson and cream will have the deep ones (15"). However all coaches are new tooling. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Slightly off topic, but I would like to fit Kadees to my old Bachmann Bulleids - I have a pack of NEM pockets, but does anyone know whether a complete bogie would be a better option, before I start carving up the existing bogie - they are very easy to remove (one screw). Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Slightly off topic, but I would like to fit Kadees to my old Bachmann Bulleids - I have a pack of NEM pockets, but does anyone know whether a complete bogie would be a better option, before I start carving up the existing bogie - they are very easy to remove (one screw). Thanks.

I used Symoba coupling adapters for mine - see https://www.dccsupplies.com/search/results/?search=symoba.  Not cheap - about £7 per coach - but you get an NEM coupling pocket plus a close-coupling facility.

I followed the instructions here - https://southernregionmodels.wordpress.com/rolling-stock/25-2/

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, RFS said:

I used Symoba coupling adapters for mine - see https://www.dccsupplies.com/search/results/?search=symoba.  Not cheap - about £7 per coach - but you get an NEM coupling pocket plus a close-coupling facility.

I followed the instructions here - https://southernregionmodels.wordpress.com/rolling-stock/25-2/

That's a good little site with some neat tips, some of which I have 'discovered' for myself in the past, but with better methods than my own. Thanks matey.

It is a bit of a fag getting Southern Pride parts but they are easily the best way to do this. However, to cut costs, I am experimenting with some old Mk1 Coaches from various sources, to hack about, fit brass sides and do the UF detailing. The old Bachman UFs need decent UF detail upgrades anyway, so not a lot extra to do really other than the paint jobs where I am still struggling to find a decent BR SR Coach Green in a spray can.  

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

Before going for Symoba couplings I first simply cut off the tension lock and instead used a Kadee No 5 with the draft box screwed to the platform.  Worked well but of course no CCM. I still use these on the ends of my rakes, with the Symoba CCMs internally.  Just need a little bit of packing to get the height right, plus carefully positioning to get the distance between coaches right for your tightest curves.

K2.jpg.bfc786ff2d3c6dcfcf2be619db86bd0f.jpg

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...

Good to see the bulleid carriages are on to tooling... Sadly a bit out my budget range.. So will be upgrading older versions.. 

I noticed a few are fitting Kadees as have I with an NEM pocket converter... Got it down to a 20 minute job.. OK not a coupling cam but its a simple job opening other coupling options. 

2020-09-08_06-55-57.jpg

2020-09-08_06-56-07.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want to go down the road of close-coupling cams for these Bulleid coaches, then Symoba couplings are one solution. I've converted mine and they work well. Corridors touch on straight track without any additional corridor connection needed. 

Excellent instructions here - https://southernregionmodels.wordpress.com/rolling-stock/25-2/

I got my couplings from DCC Supplies who seem to be the UK distributor. 

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, RFS said:

If you want to go down the road of close-coupling cams for these Bulleid coaches, then Symoba couplings are one solution. I've converted mine and they work well. Corridors touch on straight track without any additional corridor connection needed. 

Excellent instructions here - https://southernregionmodels.wordpress.com/rolling-stock/25-2/

That will certainly add up to being rather expensive...  I'll pass. 

18 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Good to see the bulleid carriages are on to tooling... Sadly a bit out my budget range.. So will be upgrading older versions.. 

I noticed a few are fitting Kadees as have I with an NEM pocket converter... Got it down to a 20 minute job.. OK not a coupling cam but its a simple job opening other coupling options. 

2020-09-08_06-55-57.jpg

2020-09-08_06-56-07.jpg

Are these the old Bachmann 63' ones resprayed?

If so it does do a lot for the finish, perhaps you could tell us what you've done and whose paint you've used?

Many thanks,

John.

• Agree 1

@John Tomlinson

These are just bog standard Bachmann Bulleids... I haven't done anything to them..  OK apart from new bogies on some and the new NEM pockets I make. 

However the later releases from Bachmann featured a darker green for some odd reason... The lighter were older releases which were a lighter shade. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

@John Tomlinson

These are just bog standard Bachmann Bulleids... I haven't done anything to them..  OK apart from new bogies on some and the new NEM pockets I make. 

However the later releases from Bachmann featured a darker green for some odd reason... The lighter were older releases which were a lighter shade. 

Thanks for this - it must be the light that has gven them something of a satin sheen.

I was interested because I've been experimenting with one of these, trying to effect some improvements that are worth the effort involved. The basic shape seems sound - always a good start - and I'd like two rakes of five, one in early lighter green and one in crimson and cream. I did one trial, involving new roof vents, wire water filler pipes - hence a roof respray -  and SE finecast flush glazing, which definitely added something, although I think I'll restrict the wire water fillers to the roof area only in future as it is very difficult to carve the ends without making a mess ofother details.

They seem to go for around £15 on ebay, if you shop around perhaps a bit less, which as you say is likely to be a good saving on the £50 plus of a new offering - if indeed it happens.

John.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2020 at 06:26, RFS said:

Thanks for posting this - these look extremely handy for the few bits of stock i've got that need cammed nem pockets.

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2020 at 11:56, rembrow said:

The latest edition of Bachmann Times has advised that the Bulleid coaches have moved on to the tool room stage, so progress.

Things are really moving along. The latest Bachmann Times, only 2 months later, gives the Bulleid coach status as having reached ep stage. Getting excited now, may have to lie down.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2020 at 11:23, Bluebell Model Railway said:

That will certainly add up to being rather expensive...  I'll pass. 

I just use them at the outer ends of sets, with (much cheaper) Keen Systems ones "inside" where, being semi-permanently coupled, self-centreing isn't needed.

Definitely improves the look of them but the biggest visual enhancement is flush glazing from SEF. Bit of a faff as the openings vary in size quite a bit. I gather that's why there's no equivalent in the Lazerglaze range. 

I'll be getting some of the new ones, at least one 2-set, one additional 3-set and a loose SK, but I'll not be replacing the old ones I've worked over.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I just use them at the outer ends of sets, with (much cheaper) Keen Systems ones "inside" where, being semi-permanently coupled, self-centreing isn't needed.

Definitely improves the look of them but the biggest visual enhancement is flush glazing from SEF. Bit of a faff as the openings vary in size quite a bit. I gather that's why there's no equivalent in the Lazerglaze range. 

I'll be getting some of the new ones, at least one 2-set, one additional 3-set and a loose SK, but I'll not be replacing the old ones I've worked over.

John

That's very interesting. I had a real struggle fitting the SEF flush glazing in the one I did, and had to try different examples in some windows, explained by the inconsistency in the window sizes.

John.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Some images on my model group have been up a few days look good very nice could be a wallet drainer lol

They could drain a lot more out of my wallet by also making the Diag 2406 "loose" BCK.  ;)

Edited by Phatbob
  • Agree 2