I think that was the general idea but the make up of Southern sets was not static and some changed quite a bit over time. Also, for instance, you would have three coach sets (BSK, CK, BSK) which would be strengthened every summer with an SO or SK either side of the CK.

As such mixed finishes and liveries were quite possible and turned up reasonably frequently in photos.

Even nominally static formations could appear in mixed colours : any book on SECR coaches* is likely to include a picture of a freshly red-&-creamed Corridor Brake Composite coupled - as an Ashford-Hastings set - to a 'Thanet' Corridor Third in malachite green ...... my guess is that the BCK was in Maunsell green when the set was formed and the TK's paint was still fit for purpose when the phot was taken.

* & Mike King's 'Southern tome

• RMweb Premium

Even nominally static formations could appear in mixed colours : any book on SECR coaches* is likely to include a picture of a freshly red-&-creamed Corridor Brake Composite coupled - as an Ashford-Hastings set - to a 'Thanet' Corridor Third in malachite green ...... my guess is that the BCK was in Maunsell green when the set was formed and the TK's paint was still fit for purpose when the phot was taken.

* & Mike King's 'Southern tome

My interest is the old western section - Padstow etc. Even with two coach sets there are photos of the coaches in different liveries. One in Green and the other B&C.

I think as modellers we're sometimes guilty of wanting everything nice, neat and perfectly regimented. Every coach the same colour and exactly to headquarter's spec. The real world isn't like that though, it's a whole heap more random and messy.

• Agree 1

And here's a classic example - a BR MK1 3-set in crimson and cream strengthened for the summer months with two Bulleid seconds in green...

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SR-4-4-0s/i-vx7whLs/A

They may well be loose coaches as previously mentioned. I doubt they would have broken up other sets to strengthen others.

• RMweb Premium

They may well be loose coaches as previously mentioned. I doubt they would have broken up other sets to strengthen others.

Strengthening sets for the summer was done mainly from the pool of loose coaches. Whilst some sets stayed fairly constant through their lives, others were chopped and changed frequently in response to traffic needs.

Some of the loose coaches were previously in sets though. Don't forget the electrification was going on in the eastern section and loco hauled stock and sets were made redundant by new units. The redundant stock was either sent elsewhere to replace older stock, made into new sets or placed in the loose pool.

Anyone really interested in how coaches moved around geographically and between sets should try and get hold of a copy of Gould's books on Bulleid and Maunsell loco hauled coaching stock. Must have been very interesting keeping track of where everything was!

• RMweb Gold

Strengthening sets for the summer was done mainly from the pool of loose coaches. 

Indeed they were and here's another lovely example of the Lyme Regis portion of the ACE heading down the branch behind a pair of 0415 class locos.  A BR MK1 3-set in crimson and cream has been strengthened by two Bulleid seconds in green, with the single branch coach tacked on the end. 

http://railphotoprints.uk/p1018623573/h82e30c7d#h82e30c7d

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Indeed they were and here's another lovely example of the Lyme Regis portion of the ACE heading down the branch behind a pair of 0415 class locos.  A BR MK1 3-set in crimson and cream has been strengthened by two Bulleid seconds in green, with the single branch coach tacked on the end. 

http://railphotoprints.uk/p1018623573/h82e30c7d#h82e30c7d

Three different eras of coach in three different liveries. (last coach looks crimson)

• 4 weeks later...

An interior view of Swanage Railway's semi-open brake second showing the colour of the seats, the luggage racks and carriage prints. Reproducing this would be a challenge for a modeller although Peco produced some cardboard interior kits for the Kitmaster models of Mk1 coaches.

I used the Peco open second interior on my maroon Southern Pride Bulleid. The colour and seat pattern look remarkably like your photo, originally I included the tables but soon realised it shouldn't have them.

• Like 1

Great to see new Bulleid coaches, but it seems that once again (and its not just Bachmann doing this) the potentially most popular livery BR(S) Green is in most cases being kept back for later releases (the exception being the 2-set). At least I have some current Bulleids to keep me going in the meantime. And as I've said elsewhere, please Bachmann can you add a Diagram 2406 loose BCK to the range asap.

I recently contacted Bachmann with a number of queries regarding these vehicles and they responded as follows:

"The forthcoming Bachmann Branchline OO scale Bulleid coaches in BR green livery will carry BR (SR) coaching stock green and will not feature the roundels – as shown in the images of the real vehicles in the 2018 Bachmann Branchline catalogue. We don’t have a model of the diagram 2406 vehicle planned for the initial release of models but this may be considered as a future item should we expand the range of Bullied coaches further."

In the light of these comments, it would seem that anyone hoping for a Diagram 2406 Loose Brake Composite should contact Bachmann and let them know.

Edited by bude_branch
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Now the Hornby Maunsell Restaurant First coaches have arrived, these Bulleid coaches are the next arrivals to look forward to for improving our RTR Southern Railway coaching stock. Let us keep UK Bachmann reminded of their promise to deliver in a timely fashion (Whatever that means or doesn't mean.)

Now the Hornby Maunsell Restaurant First coaches have arrived, these Bulleid coaches are the next arrivals to look forward to for improving our RTR Southern Railway coaching stock. Let us keep UK Bachmann reminded of their promise to deliver in a timely fashion (Whatever that means or doesn't mean.)

I notice on their June 5th update ( see thread elsewhere ) the Bulleid coaches are not even mentioned.

Whether they have reached the research stage or not is unclear. This part of the project should be straight forward

as there enough prototypes in preservation that are identical to some of the proposed models.

Hopefully the Bulleid coaches are being worked on quietly, and the next thing we'll see are EP samples.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my two Hornby Maunsell Restaurant Firsts from Alton on Friday and I am very impressed, lining or no lining on the SR version. The actual coaches seem to have quite a complicated history so congratulations to the Hornby team for bringing them to the market.  I'm still hoping that they will use their underframe to do the Bulleid shorties, that would really expand the possibilities.

Bachmann shouldn't have too many problems with researching the longer versions of the Bulleid coaches as they must have done this in preparation for producing their N gauge versions. I suspect that one of the limiting factors in bringing new models out is the realisation that us modellers cannot afford everything we might want at the same time.

The Tavern Cars - well thats another story - and another need.

Enjoy!

all the best

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 1

An interior view of Swanage Railway's semi-open brake second showing the colour of the seats, the luggage racks and carriage prints. Reproducing this would be a challenge for a modeller although Peco produced some cardboard interior kits for the Kitmaster models of Mk1 coaches.

I had the pleasure of a ride in this last week on hols, and very enjoyable it was. The restoration is magnificent.

Two things struck me about these coaches that I hadn't particularly registered before.

First, the insweep at the bottom of the side is very noticeable when you're inside the vehicle, and second the curvature of the main pane of glass in a vertical plane is also quite apparent, especially when you get in a Mk1 a few minutes later in which the glass is flat.

All in all a very stylish coach indeed.

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

apologies if it's been mentioned before, but SEMGonline has an Excel .xls file covering the SR/BR(S) coach sets/loose vehicles here:

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html

Currently Safari cannot open the file, and I know that for some time it has been in an older format that I cannot open. For those using older machines it is a very useful resource indeed. 

Mike Watts used to have similar data presented in a more user-friendly format, but that hasn't been online in some years, sadly. You can guess which I preferred. 

• RMweb Gold

Currently Safari cannot open the file, and I know that for some time it has been in an older format that I cannot open. For those using older machines it is a very useful resource indeed. 

Mike Watts used to have similar data presented in a more user-friendly format, but that hasn't been online in some years, sadly. You can guess which I preferred. 

There's a link to a spreadsheet version in the text which is http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.xls

You need Excel to read it - either the licensed version or the free Excel reader.  

• RMweb Gold

As I said, my iMac helpfully tells me that version of Excel is not supported. 

I have downloaded it and converted it to the latest Excel 2016 format.  Drop me a PM if you'd like a copy. 

• RMweb Premium

The likes of LibreOffice and OpenOffice can also open Excel files, though I've found them less easy to work actively with, being as I am so used to the Excel keyboard assignments and usage, and also they appear to be a bit slower on their calculations (perhaps understandably) than when using odf formats.