• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have been able to take a close look and handle the first stunning EPs and my views are below. 

https://grahammuz.com/2020/12/23/Bachmann-bulleid-coaches-engineering-prototypes-arrive/

Hi Muz, great review. Nice to see that Bachmann (unlike Hornby with the original Maunsell releases) have grasped the importance of the variety of brake coaches to make up various set formations. Will they be doing a D2406?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Muz, great review. Nice to see that Bachmann (unlike Hornby with the original Maunsell releases) have grasped the importance of the variety of brake coaches to make up various set formations. Will they be doing a D2406?

Thanks Chris, 

Re the 2406 never say never to coin a phrase...

• Like 3

They certainly look good but they really should take the plunge and add a Diag 2406 BCK as Brian suggests.

I note the samples have gangway end boards. It would be good if they could add an ER-style board to their Thompson stock when they finally get round to doing them in maroon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

So, no excuse now for Bachmann not to produce a 4-COR.

Although the 4-cor is pretty much totally different in every way other than the number of wheels per coach...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

These look great, but they should really stimulate Bachmann to produce something fairly mainstream to pull them rather than just fuelling more sales for their main competitor's locos....

Given the attention applied to detail differences in these coaches, I'd be confident in Bachmann tackling a couple of the U sub-classes.

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have been able to take a close look and handle the first stunning EPs and my views are below. 

https://grahammuz.com/2020/12/23/Bachmann-bulleid-coaches-engineering-prototypes-arrive/

Thanks Graham. These have been a long time coming and so many thanks for your drive and input to get them here before I pop me clogs.

They look very very good indeed and will (sadly) make my existing RTR fleets look pretty poor. hey ho.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

These look great, but they should really stimulate Bachmann to produce something fairly mainstream to pull them rather than just fuelling more sales for their main competitor's locos....

Given the attention applied to detail differences in these coaches, I'd be confident in Bachmann tackling a couple of the U sub-classes.

John

Or, some BR (ex-LBSCR) Billinton K-class  2-6-0's  (very handsome, and rather different to other Southern 2-6-0's).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Or, some BR (ex-LBSCR) Billinton K-class  2-6-0's  (very handsome, and rather different to other Southern 2-6-0's).

Agreed, the K was a lovely looking loco, and I count myself fortunate to have seen a couple of them as a lad.

Whilst I'd certainly buy a K, I'd go 2 or 3 of the U, more if they covered enough variations.

Bachmann have form with ex-SECR and ex-LBSCR prototypes, too, so I'd think the K more likely.  Apart from the N (and to a lesser degree, the old LN) the blue team have avoided producing locos that ranged widely across the company/region.

Either by omission or intent, they seem OK with leaving  those to Hornby. so I felt something a bit more mainstream might be in order for a change. That said, crossover sales of Hornby locos and Bachmann coaches cut both ways and will have done neither any harm over the years. That'll no doubt continue with the new Bulleids.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I was thinking about getting one to bodge into a D.2017 in EXXXXS Maroon, but I really don't think I could do that now-these are absolutely superb in EP form, and I'm certain will be brilliant when finally finished.

Thanks for the info Graham, they do look good.

I hope Bachmann have got their BR(S) shade of green sorted out. For a while they

were convinced that loco hauled stock was a darker green than EMU's.

If they use the same shade as their CEP's and EPB's, that's about right.

My wallet is ready for a hammering!.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Graham for this report and also thanks for your contribution to what looks like some stunning new RTR Bulleid coaches. The long wait looks like it will, after all, be worth it. Hopefully Bachmann will take up your prompting that Diagram 2406 is an essential addition and I would certainly agree with abd968008 that a Tavern car set would sell well and not just to Southern fans.

all the best and a Happy Christmas to all!

Godfrey

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Thanks for the info Graham, they do look good.

I hope Bachmann have got their BR(S) shade of green sorted out. For a while they

were convinced that loco hauled stock was a darker green than EMU's.

If they use the same shade as their CEP's and EPB's, that's about right.

We did discuss the correct shade of BR(s) Green (minus some black) on Monday so hopefully watch this space. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Dare I ask this

Is there any indication on what the price of these coaches will be? And when the price will be published?

Bachmann haven't indicated a price yet, and my chosen pre-order retailer has put £0.01 as a "placeholder" price.  I've no idea when Bachmann will announce the RRP, but in these uncertain times they'd be foolish not to leave it as late as possible.  In the current mix of circumstances all steps even down to the final shipping costs are volatile...  

Looking on the Bachmann website at the RRP of recent coaches I'd better start squirrelling away the pennies as I've got all 11 of the announced models on pre-order.  Even with the allowable 15% level of discounting I'm expecting a release price significantly north of £50, and if you take the RRP of the Birdcage stock (£84.95) as a guide it could be quite frightening... 

But if I wasn't prepared to part with that sort of money, I wouldn't have pre-ordered on the release date (and yes, they are intended to run on a layout, they're not being bought as "collectables").  Whether they're "worth it" is something only each individual can decide, based on their particular circumstances.  To me, yes they are looking as if they will be, based on the pictures of the EPs...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Accidentally posted before typing was complete...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, the K was a lovely looking loco, and I count myself fortunate to have seen a couple of them as a lad.

Whilst I'd certainly buy a K, I'd go 2 or 3 of the U, more if they covered enough variations.

Bachmann have form with ex-SECR and ex-LBSCR prototypes, too, so I'd think the K more likely.  Apart from the N (and to a lesser degree, the old LN) the blue team have avoided producing locos that ranged widely across the company/region.

Either by omission or intent, they seem OK with leaving  those to Hornby. so I felt something a bit more mainstream might be in order for a change. That said, crossover sales of Hornby locos and Bachmann coaches cut both ways and will have done neither any harm over the years. That'll no doubt continue with the new Bulleids.

John

Well I am going to stop going down the pub every night, stop eating out and ditch the expensive holidays and order some Bulleid coaches.

I think the U Class is long overdue, there were 50 of the things after all. Smaller classes (e.g. Adams Radial, Beattie Well Tank) have been produced.

If Bachmann really want to do something radical then why not do their own West Country/Battle of Britain, after all there were 110 of them and Hornby have never made the cab variation suitable for the earlier locos. Plenty of room for both players here I suggest (unlike Std 4 4-6-0s and A4s).

Glenn

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I will do a 'Bargain Hunt' and put an estimate on the new coaches of between £65 and £85. By that reckoning I shall have to sell my existing RTR Bulleids in Bulk Bargain Tubs at about £8 each, with possible discounts for multiple purchases. 

Merry frothing everyone.

P.

• Like 2