LNER 'Toad B' and 'Toad E' 20T Brake Van announced

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I read Nile’s post as referring to the handrails rather than the lamps. But I think they are correct to paint the lamps body colour as well, as discussed further up this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve, I was asking about the handrails, but info about the lamps is also welcome. Now has Hornby used a plastic that doesn't take paint well for these handrails? Typically I've put my BR one away in a box somewhere so can't check it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No problem, Nile!  I suspect I'll be finding out about painting the handrails myself, as I'll probably repaint mine into BR livery when I get it, unless I can get the handrails off without breaking them (as Porcy Main did, earlier).  This may sound a bit heretical, but I've already got two of the steel lookout type in BR livery, made from Parkside kits, so I didn't really want to buy another of those.

• RMweb Premium

Well I collected mine today from Monk Bar Models, and was impressed by it.

I tried to dismantle it with a view to repainting it into BR livery, and failed dismally!  One of the large bodyside handrail mouldings came away easily, but the other refused to give way at the point where the long and short vertical handrails are joined.  More seriously, I couldn't remove the clear mouldings which incorporate the lookouts and the seat boxes at all - they were just too firmly glued to the van sides.  Also, I was unable to remove the partitions, as these too were firmly glued in place.  Having removed the very small diagonal handrails on the sides of the lookouts (which would have been necessary to remove the lookouts, if that had been possible), the carpet monster then claimed one and has refused to give it back.  Unless it does come to light, I'll replace it with a wire one which is a bit of a shame as they're very fine mouldings.

So I'll have to brush paint the van in the old fashioned way; in fairness I suppose the parts moulded in clear plastic were always going to be brush painted, but it would have been easier if they were separate!

Doubtless a BR version will be announced in a couple of months ....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Doubtless a BR version will be announced in a couple of months ...."

That's what they did with the SR cattle wagons, so expect the alternate liveries next year.

I'm sure you'll be right; ah well you can't have too many brake vans (can you?).

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just finished repainting this one into BR livery, so no doubt Hornby will announce that version in about a month's time:

post-31-0-61975400-1544442278.jpg

Not my most successful effort!  Plenty of glue had been used, so I couldn't dismantle the body, so brush painting was really the only option; quite tricky to do neatly on the glazed parts.  One part that did come out was one of the diagonal handrails on the ducket, which pinged off the tweezers into the carpet, never to be seen again.  So I made a new one from wire.

The Humbrol No. 64 which I tried to use had the consistency of tar (despite being a newish tin), so I overpainted that with Railmatch BR freight Stock Grey.  I found a number for a similar van on a Modelmasters sheet, but then found a picture of the real van which had wide planking whereas the model is of the narrow planked version.  So the 20T and number is from an old sheet of HMRS Methfix for LNER wagons; the tare weight at the other end is Modelmasters waterslide.

The tail lamp is from Springside; I chickened out of doing anything about the doorway safety bars, but might do if I get another one.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I've just finished repainting this one into BR livery, so no doubt Hornby will announce that version in about a month's time:

attachicon.gifP1020951.jpg

Not my most successful effort!  Plenty of glue had been used, so I couldn't dismantle the body, so brush painting was really the only option; quite tricky to do neatly on the glazed parts.  One part that did come out was one of the diagonal handrails on the ducket, which pinged off the tweezers into the carpet, never to be seen again.  So I made a new one from wire.

The Humbrol No. 64 which I tried to use had the consistency of tar (despite being a newish tin), so I overpainted that with Railmatch BR freight Stock Grey.  I found a number for a similar van on a Modelmasters sheet, but then found a picture of the real van which had wide planking whereas the model is of the narrow planked version.  So the 20T and number is from an old sheet of HMRS Methfix for LNER wagons; the tare weight at the other end is Modelmasters waterslide.

The tail lamp is from Springside; I chickened out of doing anything about the doorway safety bars, but might do if I get another one.

One of your lamp brackets is missing.

A. Barsteward

• RMweb Premium

Weird.

Do you think you may have understated the weathering of the roof? 

A. B.

Yes, maybe.  Railmatch Roof Grime with a wash of matt black over it.  Might do some more.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifP1020951.jpg

Looks blo##y excellent to me. Nowt like a bit of filth to sort things out.

P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

The Hornby R6923 LNER (Dia.064) 'Toad E' Brake Van No.162007 and Hornby R6924 BR (Dia.034) 'Toad B' No. E140580 are arriving at retailers now.

Regards,

Martin:senile:

Hornby ahead of schedule?

I thinks these were pencilled in for an October delivery. C'mon Hornby get yer act together.

• Like 1