Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Congratulations to all the Scottish lobby and followers on the group. I know from my own experience how exasperating it is hoping each year that they might take an interesting in your area. For years people have highlighted the lack of anything really indiginous to Scotland in steam done to a high standard. Now its here, so enjoy the moment and the model to come!

Still plenty of scope with liveries, I thought that a late crest loco would have been preferred to the early crest to expand the models timespan, the early crest loco "Haig" was an early casualty in 1963 with other members of the class surviving to 1967, but hey - I am not complaining, I placed my order with for "Haig" as soon as the Liverpool site updated, as an unlined black loco renumbering (If necessary) is very straightforward.  Now about those Kipps variants.........

Jim

• Like 2

Astonished and delighted that Hornby have announced a J36.  I had always thought it would be the ideal model to release in 2018, the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, but never imagined that it would happen.  I'm just working out how many I need!  Do I order enough to cover all possible requirements or do I settle for what is currently planned and wait in the hope of more appropriate liveries being produced in the future, particularly LNER late 1930s and BR late crest. 

One thought does occur.  The GE is represented by Hornby's RTR J15, the GC by Bachmann's J11 and now the NB by Hornby's J36.  Isn't it ironic that the largest pre-grouping LNER constituent, the NER, and the most influential constituent as far as motive power development, the GNR, are not currently represented by any RTR 0-6-0s?  

I've got 4 on pre order already - my ancient GEM and Jamieson pair can now retire with dignity! As for the NER, don't go giving Hornby ideas until they've at least produced a J37.......

• RMweb Premium

There was very little of interest to me personally on the Hornby list as I model blue diesels. However, I’m pleased to see Maude and will get one. I was a passenger on its famous trip from Fort William to Arisaig in 1984.

• RMweb Premium

I've pre-ordered my LNER example, although I realise it represents a loco in very early LNER days with original NBR number, "L & NER" lettering and red lining.

For now, I'll overlook the fact that this livery combination might not have existed by the time the D49s first entered service in 1927 (I own Hornby's "Cheshire")

Nevertheless I'm hoping that a D34 "Glen" using the tender (and other parts) becomes available a few years down the road.

• RMweb Premium

Err no . These were Caley 812s . Would have been good, but quite happy with J36s for the time being

Well, yes. Is some Edinburgher cocking a snook at the Caley enthusiasts who have been busily wishlisting an 812 for some time? 

This is of course Reid's rebuild of Holmes' Class C, from 1913 onwards. Along with the Bachmann new E1/J72, this is another RTR pre-Grouping engine that is frustratingly post-Edwardian!