Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

I have two pictures of the locos in NBR livery and both are unlined. 

attachicon.gifj36.jpg

(This became BR No 65282)

Was one painted in LNER lined green? I am convinced I have seen a picture of one of the named examples in post WW2 LNER green (think it was at St Margerets shed).

Or am I loosing my marbles?

5211/65211 (until Oct48) and 5330/65330 (until Nov51)  were in green but neither named.

Alan

Edited by benachie

...Was one painted in LNER lined green? I am convinced I have seen a picture of one of the named examples in post WW2 LNER green (think it was at St Margerets shed).

Or am I loosing my marbles?

Shouldn't those be 'aggies'? Anyhoo, full set under either name. Colour Rail SC273, of 65330; or 'Big Four in Colour 1935- 50' a title I will never cease recommending.

Is there anything worth making for the Highland? Certainly not RTR wise.

No class bigger than twenty examples. Very few locomotives lasted until the 1930s.

Only one locomotive preserved which would be extremely difficult to produce due to it's driving wheels. Nice but impractical.

A couple of nice looking 4-4-0s but they were heavily rebuilt (the Big and Small Bens) which meant the last one which was preserved was scrapped as it wasn't original.

Jason

I agree with the point that Highland locos are unlikely to be viable rtr. But I think that the Drummond "Barney" 0-6-0 wheelbase was the same as the LSWR 700 class as modelled by Hornby. I know that the "Barneys" were reboilered by the LMS and so there are detail differences. Perhaps a conversion might be possible although Hornby's 700 has the extended smokebox fitted when superheated. But it's still great to have the J36!

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I think you can see them in a facebook thread further up, but for those who can't see that, Hornby had the 1st EP of the J36 at the Birmingham trade event today. I may have commandeered it for a few minutes...

25745501408_0aabea5e1c_b.jpg

25745501898_8d741756e5_b.jpg[/url] 

Before anyone accuses me of anything, the lamp bracket was already damaged when I got hold of her! Please also excuse the focus on this one, it was mainly to show the front end detail. :)

25745499588_fddd89d77d_b.jpg 

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 6

I wonder whether Hornby might be considering the possibility of carving a little Scottish niche out for itself a bit like Gem kits did in the '70s with North British prototypes - a small but useful range with the potential to really get modellers interested in Scottish modelling. Obviously I would prefer them to venture a little wider than that, with some Caledonian subjects and maybe even GSWR, but with a few more locos, some coaches, a few wagons and maybe a small range of infrastructure items they might just start a wee avalanche! 

• Like 3

I wonder whether Hornby might be considering the possibility of carving a little Scottish niche out for itself a bit like Gem kits did in the '70s with North British prototypes - a small but useful range with the potential to really get modellers interested in Scottish modelling. Obviously I would prefer them to venture a little wider than that, with some Caledonian subjects and maybe even GSWR, but with a few more locos, some coaches, a few wagons and maybe a small range of infrastructure items they might just start a wee avalanche! 

They do normally bring out a couple of "companion pieces" rather leave new ones as standalones. In this case some kind of tank engine would be extremely useful

• RMweb Premium

I’ve noticed that the Stereo 3D print sample in Hornby Magazine shows the J36 with a snowplough. I can’t see a snowplough in any of the drawings released so far for the J36’s. Any insight Derails?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve noticed that the Stereo 3D print sample in Hornby Magazine shows the J36 with a snowplough. I can’t see a snowplough in any of the drawings released so far for the J36’s. Any insight Derails?

I wasn't aware of this and no-one mentioned it today to be honest with you. It maybe a future release, but no info yet I'm afraid. Sorry. :)

They do normally bring out a couple of "companion pieces" rather leave new ones as standalones. In this case some kind of tank engine would be extremely useful

They've got one Stuart - The J83! Could maybe do with bringing up to date revisiting by Arnie in "Total Retool" though... Now if they were to offer a C15 or C16

Edited by Bob-65b

Is there anything worth making for the Highland? Certainly not RTR wise.

No class bigger than twenty examples. Very few locomotives lasted until the 1930s.

Only one locomotive preserved which would be extremely difficult to produce due to it's driving wheels. Nice but impractical.

A couple of nice looking 4-4-0s but they were heavily rebuilt (the Big and Small Bens) which meant the last one which was preserved was scrapped as it wasn't original.

Jason

Well, if somebody was to do a Jumbo, the Heilan' Barney was a very close cousin.

D4

• Like 1

I'm thinking either a Scott or Glen would make a very useful companion to the 'C'. Nice to see the photo in unlined NB black. Now we need to find a supplier of NB decals as I don't believe the Funky Foxter covers the NB!

D4.

They've got one Stuart - The J83! Could maybe do with bringing up to date revisiting by Arnie in "Total Retool" though... Now if they were to offer a C15 or C16

bringing it up to date says he... :jester:

I agree with the point that Highland locos are unlikely to be viable rtr. But I think that the Drummond "Barney" 0-6-0 wheelbase was the same as the LSWR 700 class as modelled by Hornby. I know that the "Barneys" were reboilered by the LMS and so there are detail differences. Perhaps a conversion might be possible although Hornby's 700 has the extended smokebox fitted when superheated. But it's still great to have the J36!

The boiler diameter of the J36 is only slightly larger than that of a Barney, so it might indeed be a possibility form this. The 700 has a higher pitched boiler and is larger than the Barney, so this loco cannot be turned into a good copy. However, it does mell into a CR 812 rather easily, as seen here.

post-2642-0-91155700-1515622695_thumb.jpg

This is what a  Drummond loco should look like... :locomotive:

The other CR 0-6-0's have lower pitched boilers, and again the J36 may be a potential start although the CR boilers are a bit beefier, but would pass OK for those not sweating over a mm or so.

• Like 8

Without trying to dampen peoples' enthusiasm too much, I think we need these locos to be sold-out on pre-order before Hornby suddenly mass producing NBR/Scottish locos.

Many of us, me included fully intend to put our money where our mouths are with that thought squarely in the mind.

D4

The boiler diameter of the J36 is only slightly larger than that of a Barney, so it might indeed be a possibility form this. The 700 has a higher pitched boiler and is larger than the Barney, so this loco cannot be turned into a good copy. However, it does mell into a CR 812 rather easily, as seen here.

attachicon.gifIMG_0263.JPG

This is what a  Drummond loco should look like... :locomotive:

The other CR 0-6-0's have lower pitched boilers, and again the J36 may be a potential start although the CR boilers are a bit beefier, but would pass OK for those not sweating over a mm or so.

That's absolutely gorgeous, Richard. What exactly did you need to do to bring about this transformation? I wouldn't mind having a go myself.

D4. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep on order at Rails, May go back for an LNER one although livery seems quite early. A late BR Crest one , when it comes out , hopefully next year , is a dead cert.

Meanwhile there’s that Blue MN and my single chimney Collett Castle, just to show modelling is not Geographically based, so this notion that Scottish locos won’t sell because there’s only 6m Scots is just piffle.

Damn I forgot I’m of an age I should really only be modelling diesels

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

The Highland Railway had a few Adams Radials during the Great War and for a good few years after it, so there has been a model produced recently (x2) that is correct for the HR. I haven't seen any re-done as an HR one or any campaign or discussion for one to be produced. Both Hornby and Oxford staff appeared to be oblivious of the Adams Radials scottish exploits when speaking to them at events in Scotland, as such I find unlikely a RTR HR loco will be produced unless there is a major change in production techniques.

I'm really looking forward to the 70s-80s 'Maude', hopefully it will sell well and next up the Caley 812 and/or 439 will be produced.

Brian.

I believe that the Adams radials retained their LSWR livery throughout their time in the Highlands where they worked on the Kyle line

A photo of one returning south at Blair Atholl exists in a magazine I've seen

That's absolutely gorgeous, Richard. What exactly did you need to do to bring about this transformation? I wouldn't mind having a go myself.

D4. 

I thought I had written it up in my workbench thread but the pre Xmas rush made it slip my mind - I'll add this in a day or so. Looking through my thread I see that the Bachmann C class would make a suitable donor for a Barney conversion - see this photo from the thread.

post-2642-0-65503000-1515624221.jpg

( 57585 is a DJH kit that was a collection of horrors, and eventually was stripped of its mechanism and donated to a showcase collection of an elderly enthusiast.)

The body laid over a drawing of a Barney... as I have a couple of DJH runners this has not been pursued, but I think the body is still about, so you never know...

post-2642-0-28190400-1515624394.jpg

Edit - found I had done a write up of the first 700 conversion I tackled -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69241-ben-alders-workbench/page-5

The new 57585 didn't involve so much body repair - as will be seen in time...

Although a bit thread drifty, it does show that with a bit of work Scottish freight locos are around, just in disguise :paint:

Edited by Ben Alder

• RMweb Premium

My recollection from the late 50s and early 60s around the Edinburgh Suburban line and at Waverley Station is that J36s were invariably on goods trains. There are some references on here, and indeed photos, of the preserved Maude with Mk 1 coaches, but were J36s ever allocated to passenger services on a regular basis?

I'm sure some of us on here will be able to give us a run down (reasonably brief, please, not a complete listing!).

John Storey

Maybe an optical illusion in these pictures, but handrail knobs look to be not plumb to boiler cladding?  Compared with pictures of prototype in this thread they look to be angled up too much?  Was it the J15 were there was an error with handrails?

Also, this shows plain coupling rods - discussion earlier about plain and fluted rods.  Perhaps both types being done, as appropriate?   Is the joggle just behind the centre coupled axle something done on other 0-6-0s by Hornby?

Cheers,

Hi everyone,

I think you can see them in a facebook thread further up, but for those who can't see that, Hornby had the 1st EP of the J36 at the Birmingham trade event today. I may have commandeered it for a few minutes...

25745501408_0aabea5e1c_b.jpg

Before anyone accuses me of anything, the lamp bracket was already damaged when I got hold of her! Please also excuse the focus on this one, it was mainly to show the front end detail. :)

Maybe an optical illusion in these pictures, but handrail knobs look to be not plumb to boiler cladding?  Compared with pictures of prototype in this thread they look to be angled up too much?  Was it the J15 were there was an error with handrails?

Some people called it an error while others regarded it as a compromise forced on Hornby by tooling and production methods and the difficult balancing act between getting it right and keeping the cost within reasonable limits. There were far more fundamental points needing correction as I saw that model but these tended to be overlooked. To me that is all part of the fun of modelling and I am sure whichever version of a J36 I do purchase I will have to alter something for my date and location. One choice of fitted and two for freight only on going through a series of photographs at the moment.

Bernard

Pretty much agree generally seen on freight.

Last ones were at Seafield Colliery from and memory officialdom unaware as steam allegedly had been removed from Scottish region by then.

Lochty Light Railway had one regular with a snowplough in summer to clear mud off the level crossings.  

They did do passenger workings especially final rail tours and I can remember the SRPS Xmas trips on the Suburban hauled by Maude. Spent one day chasing her for photographs and one day one of the trips. One was also scrubbed up in Dunfermline for a rail tour.  

Strange how memory works, dugout the photos and the ticket for next day but don't remember how grey and dreich it was. I think it was 3 possibly 4 coaches and ran clockwise direction so avoiding the steeper slog up through Craiglockart.

One image at Duddingston and 2 at bottom of Braid Avenue near Morningside.

Other years the Xmas specials used D49 and later still used Union of South Africa.

Finally one of the web links suggests during the war x2 J36 were in Malton area and worked over to Whitby, any images per chance????    

post-16796-0-65949700-1515680965_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DOCJACOB
  • Like 1