Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick scan through one Geo C. O'Hara book (still two to go) and the Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways last night and I has not turned up a J36 on passenger duty, J37s seem to have been preferred.

Jim

I'm away from my books at the moment so can't check, but I'm pretty sure Reedsmouth's J36 had a turn to Scotsgap on the two daily passenger trains. I also think the J36 worked the fortnightly SO passenger Kielder/Keilder - Hexham and late night return until Reedsmouth shed closed.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Bawdsey of the Albion Yard blog was at London Toy Fair this week, and got some good photos of Hornby's forthcoming LNER J36 - this includes one of the best photos I've yet seen of its cab and its tender.Here is the link to his photos and comments:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/Hornby-london-toy-fair-2018/

John Storey

this has probably already been said before but ive just picked up the latest Hornby magazine and in the news pages theres a sample of the j36 shown with a snow plough, it is very nice to see this nice touch being an option for the Hornby loco. the differant tender cabs would be nice also but we cant have it all straight away i suppose.

gary

• 3 weeks later...

this has probably already been said before but ive just picked up the latest Hornby magazine and in the news pages theres a sample of the j36 shown with a snow plough, it is very nice to see this nice touch being an option for the Hornby loco. the differant tender cabs would be nice also but we cant have it all straight away i suppose.

gary

I agree Gary, tender cabs would be nice, but I'm happy to wait to see them in the future. As for snowploughs though, from what I've seen, none of the decoration samples on their website appear to have this snowplough attached - I have seen sample photos from their "engine shed" blog, of an engine with a snowplough attached though. Which for me, begs the question, are we getting snowploughs with these models as separately fitted items, potentially in a detailing pack? Or is that unlikely? Because I must admit, I'm rather confused by it right now, and I'd love to know, as I'd love to have one with a snowplough fitted to the front. And since I've seen a few posts commenting on this, no one seems to be certain about it. Is there a way for us to know this, or do we just have to sit tight and wait until the model is released? :)

~Alex

• Like 1

It has to be wait and see. The prototype sample that has been shown with the plough: the clearance of the plough above rail looks rather too finely toleranced to work on Hornby's set track.

What part of the set track will it not tolerate? I can only think of inclines. Other than that if it's above the rail then it's above the rail and won't really interfere with much.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was October so that looks good news . Anyway we’ve been waiting for a Scottish loco for so long it’ll not make any difference a few months either way.

What was the last Scottish pre grouping loco release? I reckon it was the Caley Pug aka Smokey Joe in 1980. 38 years later .....a few months don’t matter!

I’d prefer one without a snow plough , so if it is offered in the future I hope you’ll be able to remove or disconnect it .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are you discounting the D11/2?  (Would have much preferred a D30!)

D11/2: Introduced 1924, modified Great Central design built to reduced loading gauge for use in Scotland.

Scottish, yes. Pre-group, no.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you discounting the D11/2?  (Would have much preferred a D30!)

I had actually forgotten it , but as John said it’s not pre grouping and although the D11/2 had cut down fittings for the smaller Scottish loading gauge , compared to GCR , I still primarily view it as a GCR locomotive.

What part of the set track will it not tolerate? I can only think of inclines. Other than that if it's above the rail then it's above the rail and won't really interfere with much.

Lay the track, any track, perfectly plane and there will be no trouble. But part of the premise of set track is that indifferent track laying standards, worn track pieces, and abrupt transitions onto and off inclines are permitted.

I was advised by the guys in Scoonie Hobbies that the rep visited them last week and advised that Haig has sold out to pre order. Looks like Hornby have made a good choice.

I have also heard a rumour that Hornby may have measured more than one item at Bo'ness when they visited so maybe something else in the pipeline for next year.

I was advised by the guys in Scoonie Hobbies that the rep visited them last week and advised that Haig has sold out to pre order. Looks like Hornby have made a good choice.

I have also heard a rumour that Hornby may have measured more than one item at Bo'ness when they visited so maybe something else in the pipeline for next year.

Do you know which likely candidates are at Bo'ness?  You could be starting something here. Intriguing! 

Tod

a Caley 0-4-4 419, which was the first working steam locomotive I ever saw visiting my grandparents in Scotland in the 1980's. I keep thinking about looking into buying a Kit and building one of those, but I know the second I make that investment, an RTR one will be announced.

Unless I've misunderstood (always a racing certainty!), there was no class 419, but there was a number 419, which was indeed a 4-4-0 439 class.

Edited by truffy

Do you know which likely candidates are at Bo'ness?  You could be starting something here. Intriguing! 

Tod

I was advised at the end of last year that we were getting a J36 and possibly another scottish model from Hornby. It may not even be a loco it was just hinted that something else scottish could be in pipeline and most likely from visit to Bo'ness.