Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Hi everyone,

That certainly has turned out well. I’ve got Maude on order for running on Rannoch as my Christmas present from the girls, they will enjoy it too with the TTS sound fitted. Doesn’t fit the era being set around 2005 but it does look nice.

Cheers

Mark

The new meets the old. My rather elderly GEM J36 on the right,... Retirement beckons!

If it is the running perhaps that lets this model down, why not use it as the loco on 'shed day'? Whip the dome cover off and fabricate the real dome with the cover off for a fitter to work on the regulator valve, great puddles of water around from boiler washout, etc..

• RMweb Gold

I resisted all of 30 seconds in Cheltenham Model Centre before succumbing to this little masterpiece. Problem is i told my wife i was off out looking for a surprise present for her. I think unwrapping a J36 on Christmas morning might not be quite the surprise she was expecting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got my J36 yesterday, thanks to Harburn Hobbies here in Edinburgh. There is just one word for it - superb. It runs very sweetly indeed, and I've heard the same from others.

John Storey

I should have added that the tender is a work of art on its own. And that the cab detail is terrific - hand levers, dials and other bits and pieces added separately: it would be interesting to know how many detail pieces there are in the cab.

Edited by it's-er

After taking delivery of Haig a few days ago, it didn’t take long until I set about renaming and numbering to 65243 Maude. Cannot wait for the NBR Maude now and more Scottish steam in the coming years!

Beautiful! Can I ask where you sourced the painted name from, but also what method you used to remove the original identity as there seems to be very little evidence of it?

Beautiful! Can I ask where you sourced the painted name from, but also what method you used to remove the original identity as there seems to be very little evidence of it?

I used 1mm white Gill Sans lettering from Fox Transfers for the name and I found the numbers came off very cleanly using a cocktail stil and some light pressure.

• Like 1

I think the majority of the body being metal helps in this. Paint somehow sits differently. Noticeable how more ‘metal’ it looked in the display case than the Q1 next to it.

People might argue but for all the palaver about the finances of Hornby they have raised the standard of RTR 00 steam to new heights with this J36 , the new Nelson and other recent models.

Bravo to the Hornby team and I hope they have a good Xmas and New Year, one and all. 

Roll on Jan 7 !   :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

People might argue but for all the palaver about the finances of Hornby they have raised the standard of RTR 00 steam to new heights with this J36 , the new Nelson and other recent models.

Bravo to the Hornby team and I hope they have a good Xmas and New Year, one and all. 

Roll on Jan 7 !   :)

Your sentiments are correct,Rob.But you know,Hornby have already achieved very high standards,Keeping them there....now that’s the trick.More....much more....to come,I’m sure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Santa just delivered my J36 , well via Hattons . A real beauty . Ran smoothly from the off. Just running her in at half speed . A fantastic wee Scottish loco , a long time waiting! I think she is sold out at Hornby anyway, hopefully this means she has been a sales success . I really can’t understand how it took Hornby this long to make something purely Scottish. And I’m hoping that this is the start of a run of Scottish locos.

Praise where praise is due . Well done Hornby for producing such a handsome wee loco. While I might have baulked at the price , compared to the opposition she’s a bargain. Definitely good value.

And my first steam model with optional plough that plugs into NEM socket

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Mine is also on the way.

Looking at the above photographs the model shown has two upper lamp irons, one mounted on the smokebox door and one atop the smokebox itself. Looking at various photographs it would appear that both locations are prototypical for the BR era, but presumably not at the same time.

The unknown hole on the right hand side of the smokebox is where the exhaust steam pipe for the Westinghouse pump would run, so it would appear Hornby are using a generic smokebox moulding for both early LNER and BR versions.

Small quibbles of no great consequence - I am seriously looking forward to delivery of the first well detailed Scottish RTR loco.

Photographs of J36s in BR era show lamp iron generally only on smokebox door but a few show only on top...then there's a pic of a loco at Seafield colliery that has no lamp irons apart from on the buffer beam.

then of course theres 65288 showing both door and boiler..love it.

Note also the scorched smokebox door and the fire irons on the tender.

Detail and weathering awaits to turn a great model into a superb one.

post-2371-0-14569800-1545868723.jpg

Dave.

• Like 4

I received mine on Christmas Eve form Derails (great service by the way).  I am really impressed with the manufacturing standards, the level of detail, the smoothness of the motor and gearbox, the provision of electrical pick-ups on both loco and tender, the ease of removing the tender body to fit a decoder, the representation of motion between the engine frames (to name but a few attributes).  Well done Hornby.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

Photographs of J36s in BR era show lamp iron generally only on smokebox door but a few show only on top...then there's a pic of a loco at Seafield colliery that has no lamp irons apart from on the buffer beam.

then of course theres 65288 showing both door and boiler..love it.

Note also the scorched smokebox door and the fire irons on the tender.

Detail and weathering awaits to turn a great model into a superb one.

attachicon.gif6423792441_cf540e2b2b_b.jpg

Dave.

Ah yes... 65288 with the mismatched front buffers !

Alasdair

• Like 1

The pack I've got has 65222 Somme, 65235 Gough and 65243 Maude included.

It also includes a Highland Ben and Clan, D29, D30s, D34s and D11s. Cost £7.64 posted this month.

Thanks for posting. I bought a pack for a D11 and couldn't remember what was on it. Found it now though.

My pack has Ref No:- 4007

Jason