Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Do we think that there might be a North British version produced without a name? I'd quite like an one of these to go with the (non-preserved) Caledonian 0-6-0 from Rails, but I'd rather have an un-named one of possible.......

Edited by scottystitch

Do we think that there might be a North British version produced without a name? I'd quite like an one of these to go with the (non-preserved) Caledonian 0-6-0 from Rails, but I'd rather have an un-named one of possible.......

Your best bet would probably be to buy the ROD example and then respray the loco and tender bodies plain black. A post rebuild J36 would likely have been unlined so it's a reasonably simple matter of the letters N. B. on the tender sides plus numbers and cabside plate.

The ROD version as pictured by Hornby does (if I remember correctly) have the wrong type of coupling rods, however I should imagine that's a pre-production photoshop job rather than the real thing. I'd imagine it will also have a Westinghouse pump on the right hand side, which would also be appropriate for an NB era locomotive.

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Your best bet would probably be to buy the ROD example and then respray the loco and tender bodies plain black. 

Yeah, and you won't have to wait long till the ROD one is in bargain bins up and down the country... 

But should the ROD one be in khaki?  This thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140678-Hornby-2019-announcements/page-9 has an exhange with Islesy of Hornby on this (#216 down the page)  A loco painted with ROD 5662 and photographed in this livery (page 118 of Aves) on its return from France would be in black, whatever colour it came to France in.

Yeah, and you won't have to wait long till the ROD one is in bargain bins up and down the country... 

I wouldn't count on it. Previous ROD liveried models have sold very well even where the liveries aren't quite right. Try getting a grey SECR C or N Class. I know it's not strictly ROD but it's that era.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Bachmann-LIMITED-EDITION-SE-CR-C-CLASS-WARTIME-GREY-31-460K-BRAND-NEW/283329837335?hash=item41f7c63917:g:p7EAAOSwtaBcMkru

WWI is extremely popular at the moment.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Over the moon with the anouncement of ROD 5662! The news came just as the posty delivered Haig to my door! Hornby must of known what livery I was going to back date her too... ;) However in Black, ROD 5650

post-20663-0-94007000-1546889208_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88

Despite being advised that the NBR version Maude would be available this month, it appears that this loco has now been put back for a May release.

The LNER variant is due February.

The blue Airsmooth M/N has also been delayed from April to December 2019

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Despite being advised that the NBR version Maude would be available this month, it appears that this loco has now been put back for a May release.

Looks like new models are now random events.

Whatever happened to the crispy bacon we had before the war?     Veiled reference to one or two new engines per year... :)

I wouldn't count on it. Previous ROD liveried models have sold very well even where the liveries aren't quite right. Try getting a grey SECR C or N Class. I know it's not strictly ROD but it's that era.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Bachmann-LIMITED-EDITION-SE-CR-C-CLASS-WARTIME-GREY-31-460K-BRAND-NEW/283329837335?hash=item41f7c63917:g:p7EAAOSwtaBcMkru

WWI is extremely popular at the moment.

Jason

You mean like this?

post-7929-0-28746700-1547497072_thumb.jpg

photo edited will remove if required.

cheers

• Like 2

Received an email from Hattons 10 minutes ago also advising that Maude will now be released in May. 

• 3 weeks later...

The C class in wartime grey was only available through the Collectors Club hence it's rarity. RobMCG image above is the N class in wartime grey, which I believe was only available in a wooden box limited edition with the same loco in SR olive. It is however (N class ) readily available in N gauge in SECR grey.

Now back to the Hornby J36 ...............

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am starting to think the LNER version may have been delayed. I think this might actually be a good thing as I have ordered the TTS chip to go in it and that won't be out until August. I do find it interesting that Hornby holding out on the release of the chips so that people buy the loco and a control only chip... to wait a few months and then buy the sound chip where I thought more people would have bought both together more readily!

• RMweb Premium

I think this years Model Rail Scotland there was only one Scottish steam based layout , Newcastleton from Edinburgh and Lothians , so not really a lot of opportunity to see them run.  There did seem to be a lot of Sectorisation and Privatisation layouts around . 

Thoroughly enjoyable show .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I think this years Model Rail Scotland there was only one Scottish steam based layout , Newcastleton from Edinburgh and Lothians , so not really a lot of opportunity to see them run.  There did seem to be a lot of Sectorisation and Privatisation layouts around . 

Thoroughly enjoyable show .

Shame you did't come over and introduce yourself.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, I wish I had now .  To be honest I did look round the stand , but everyone was always very busy .

The J36 is an outstanding wee engine . Already got Haig and Maude is on order . As an aside , I don't run DCC , so I know Maude comes with TTS. Is there a blanking plate supplied with the loco that I can easily convert it back ? Probably should have been the question I asked on stand!

Best wishes to you too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haig has been seen on Newcastleton but only in the ELMRC club room.  At exhibitions Newcastleton is run to a strict sequence timetable featuring trains with the correct formation, locomotive etc for the period.

Malcolm

So does anyone know what would be involved in backdating the J36 to the earlier Stirling Single style cab ? Would it just be a new cab or are other alterations needed ? Presumably the Hornby cab is a separate moulding and fairly straight forward to remove.