Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Boiler 2" smaller in diameter; taller, slimmer dome with safety valves on top; whistle in the position later occupied by safety valves on a J36; no coal rails on tender on 1888-1896 batches, but present on later batches; smaller brake shoes on some locos, but J36-style shoes on others - I'm not sure if this depends on build date, or on photo date (I only have early photos of early locos, so not sure if they changed). 

The Hornby cab seems to be  a separate moulding, yes - judging by the horrible gap between it and the footplate. 

• Thanks 1

Thank-you Daddyman.

I'll look into this further now. With your info, I think it's possible. The boiler diameter is only 0.7mm at scale and I can live with that. I've ordered the NB and LNER versions, but for the conversion I think I'll wait to see if one of the box-shifters puts a hefty discount on the J36 later in the year. That way if I make a pigs ear of the modification the financial loss will be less.:jester:  

• Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

Payment's been taken for the LNER version and it's on the way to me

Mine arrived today, very smart indeed. The thought had crossed my mind to paint it plain black and add some NBR decals and numbers as it's in the right condition.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Mine arrived today, very smart indeed. The thought had crossed my mind to paint it plain black and add some NBR decals and numbers as it's in the right condition.

I may re-number my version as LNER (not L&NER) 9722, but retain the lining, because I want to run it alongside my Hornby D49 2753 Cheshire

15 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

In plain black you could also have it as a ROD loco in France.  Transfers are available but you would have to replace the number plate as this loco wasn't a ROD one.  Better than waiting for the incorrectly coloured khaki one Hornby currently intend producing.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2019 at 14:13, Derails Models said:

And sure enough...we received ours today. Look out for it in your local shop soon!

32529939937_b8d512b58e_c.jpg

R3600TTS by Derails Models, on Flickr

Looks terrific.

I'm just a DC person, what would happen if I ran it on my layout, would it work!? Or would I need to do something?

Cheers,

Keith

1 hour ago, tractionman said:

Looks terrific.

I'm just a DC person, what would happen if I ran it on my layout, would it work!? Or would I need to do something?

Cheers,

Keith

I believe that there's no problem with just running it on dc, the sound obviously won't engage, just be careful not to burn out the decoder. 

Edited by scots region
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2019 at 17:20, tractionman said:

Looks terrific.

Cheers,

Keith

We've been having issues running these on DC, to be honest. We've had a couple of people who have requested we tested this feature before we sent these, and in both cases we've had no luck - we're running a Gaugemaster DCC01 on the DCC, and a Gaugemaster Model D on the DC.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does have a 'Maude' that does run on DC, and if any changes were needed to accommodate this. :)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Informative/Useful 1

Reading the instructions the decoder is supposed to have CV29 set to a value of 6 to enable DCC and DC running - if I'm reading it correctly it needs to have 4 added to the DCC only value of 2 for this to work - the CV Notes supplied explains this but having read it, I'm confused already though that's through ignorance of the more complex bits of DCC decoders on my part!  The short answer is you would need to check the loco on DCC to see if it is set with CV29 to a value of 6 to enable running on both DC & DCC.  I couldn't find the Sound Decoder Manual on the Hornby Website otherwise I'd include a link to it but I'm sure Hornby's service department will oblige.  I'll try mine shortly on DC and DCC.

• Informative/Useful 1

Certainly the main instructions show an 8-pin (NMRA Std. apparently) blanking plate under section 6. DCC Ready / Sound however no reference is made to removing the factory fitted sound decoder just that there's space in the tender beside it for a 28mm speaker.

Don't make the same silly mistake that I did!  I bought a Hornby TTS class 40 at Model Rail Scotland, shop owner tested it for me on DC and it ran perfectly, I got it home and it ran OK in one direction but would start and stop in the other direction, I asked for advice online and I was asked if I had a Relco, which I have - turns out I was lucky not to fry the chip as DCC chips and Relcos do not make good bedfellows apparently.  Loco ran fine once the Relco was switched out of line.

Jim